Swg 2.0

Holocron

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need to go back to math class.

Stupid fat fingers hit the calc wrong....corrected it. Either way it is not "limping" along.

I love how people make fun of MMO's with 100k subs. That is still no reason to shutter an MMO.

You should read Raph Koster's article about SWG. SWG was meant to be way more in depth and complex than what it launched. He gives a behind the scenes of what happened and why, and explains that the SWG we all loved was only a mere shadow of what it was suppose to be. Just the things he talked about that they had planned on doing was nothing short of incredible. Certainly worth the read.

They need to recapture that dream and make it happen!

All games are basically the next coming of all that is good and amazing. Then reality sets in and they have to deal with things like what can we actually make and the fact that the game will be made in reality. That when the fairy dust and unicorns of what they WANT to make turns into the bitter gnashing of teeth by customers who buy the game on the hype and not reality.

Stupid fat fingers hit the calc wrong....corrected it. Either way it is not "limping" along.

I love how people make fun of MMO's with 100k subs. That is still no reason to shutter an MMO.

I think the issue is that you might not have a realistic idea of how much MMO's take to run. 100K seems to be the break even point on MMO's that are trying to present a modern game and not something that's really cut rate. More than a few MMO's dropped either completely off the map or went into nothing but maintenance mode once they dipped forever below that barrier.

Companies expect a certain ROI, and just breaking even isn't enough.

When you have license fees, wages to pay, server maintenance etc etc 19 million disappears faster than you think.

I played SWG from beta to the end, including the NGE and I don't get the love. Yes, it had a few things going for it but by and by it failed. That's why they made the NGE ... in a hope they could recover their game. I think people looking back at this game are only seeing the roses and forgetting the thorns.

I'd sub to a professionally run SWG reboot that included up to (but not including) CU, but $100 a month? LOL no.

100k subs * $15.95 = $1.595 Mill per month

* 12 months = 19 mill

I would love to "limp" along at that kind of revenue.

Was it $15.95 a month at the end? LOL. That monthly rate is also assuming month to month, which a lot of people don't do, so that income is best case scenario

It's not all profit. Licensing fees (which I'm sure isn't cheap), dev and support staff salaries and benefits, office space, servers, utilities, blah blah blah. $19M doesn't buy what it used to.

Edited by HarleysRule

I played SWG from beta to the end, including the NGE and I don't get the love. Yes, it had a few things going for it but by and by it failed. That's why they made the NGE ... in a hope they could recover their game. I think people looking back at this game are only seeing the roses and forgetting the thorns.

For some it was their first MMO, for others they met people in it and forged relationships that still exist.

It was just a different kind of game. The current average MMO type wouldn't get it at all, and probably didn't then either. And definitely not have the patience for the early on bugs :p

You may get your wish.

There is a rumor floating around that Daybreak Media (formally SOE) is negotiating doing a new Star Wars MMO revolving around the new trilogy. Nothing concrete solid yet sadly, but something to hope for, to add at least more options.

That would be truly terrible. They are one of the worst companies I've ever had the misfortune of buying anything from. They are absolutely terrible in every way.

$100/month is a bit steep. I could see maybe $40/month, provided they did it right (pre-CU style, of course). But yes, that would be awesome.

Considering what SOE did to the last SWG, I sincerely hope this is just rumor.

There is.

I assume this is the article you are referring to, in case anyone wants to read it:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

Seriously, someone give that man a SW license and the resources to make it happen!

That is indeed the article! Thank you! I hope everyone read it.

Yeah, game peaked at 300k subs, then dropped drastically and limped along for years with less than 100k, and then closed down when SOE decided that 30k subs wasn't worth renewing the License over.

Actually the game peaked at 500K subs at the launch of "Jump to Lightspeed". The subs were dropping off because of lack of overall added content, and unfixed bugs. Then the CU and NGE were the one-two knock out punches, but even then, it took a new SW mmo to actually cause the game to shut down.

I can't find the exact details of the deal signed between Disney and EA. Keep in mind, it is just a rumor. But every rumor is started with at least some truth in it.

So for all we know, Daybreak could develop a Sci Fi MMO inspired by Star Wars, but not be Star Wars, lol.

a knock off wouldn't be entirely difficult, call it cosmic wars :)

You may get your wish.

There is a rumor floating around that Daybreak Media (formally SOE) is negotiating doing a new Star Wars MMO revolving around the new trilogy. Nothing concrete solid yet sadly, but something to hope for, to add at least more options.

Oh the hell would that even be possible considering EA has the exclusive Star Wars video game license.....

Oh the hell would that even be possible considering EA has the exclusive Star Wars video game license.....

While Disney would potentially have to pay a penalty to EA, Disney can still breach/cancel the contract all together. Especially if Disney feels it's not getting the profits they think they can get. Contracts get broken everyday in the business world. Also, with Disney's lawyers I'm sure they would find a way to show that EA is in actual breach of contract based on poor operational management of the SW lic. etc.

You may get your wish.

Considering SOE's past games and what they did to SWG in the first place, that doesn't sound like a good thing.

I don't see how the two even compare.

When NGE dropped it TOTALLY overhauled the classes, training, and combat. As well as "story" and quest development.

TOR has pretty much stayed the same in terms of classes, story and game mechanics. Unless we see combat turn into having to target like a shooter, I'm not convinced the two are even comparable.

SOE blames LucasArts for the majority of decisions and rules.

Let us say that they are right and not just trying to avoid the blame themselves, but look at their past games. H1Z1 is a PoS that is only successful at all because of the Battle Royale (It also seems to steal most resources from Planetside 2). DCUO is LAUGHABLE, HA. Planestside 2 is a mixed bag of going between good and bad almost every patch. Then there is Everquest Next that has pretty much generated no interest by anyone in over a year, but then, that is a game that isn't released yet and not much news comes from it. Lastly, SOE is mostly all new talent from their original hits like SWG and EQ1 and 2.

Edited by KRelite

a knock off wouldn't be entirely difficult, call it cosmic wars :)

We already have a knockoff on its way that looks promising thus far, The Repopulation. Unfortunately though, they are using the Hero Engine who has temporarily cut all services because they are on a financial brink of having to declare bankruptcy, so The Repop devs will very likely have to change their engines soon. Shame really, game was just a few short months from going into beta.

We already have a knockoff on its way that looks promising thus far, The Repopulation. Unfortunately though, they are using the Hero Engine who has temporarily cut all services because they are on a financial brink of having to declare bankruptcy, so The Repop devs will very likely have to change their engines soon. Shame really, game was just a few short months from going into vaporware.

Fixed.