Once Upon a Time

SuperOrcaSix

Once upon a time there was a game that took online gaming to a whole new level even during its beta phase. When it went live it recorded records worldwide that to this day have never been eclipsed. The game was Star Wars Galaxies. Despite inferior graphics (compared to today's SWTOR) the franchise had without question thee best player housing of any online game before or since. Crafting was a true task of mathematics, geography, and cost analysis. PVP on the ground and in space was epic. The professions in all were awe inspiring, and unlocking the Jedi profession was something unknown to even the game developers (or so they claimed). The game was perfect for most.

Then someone had the bright idea; a faux pas that changed the game forever, and ushered in the mass defections for the new kid on the block: World of Warcraft. That faux pas was: combat upgrade. And for those who remember the game it was a sad day all around. The game survived (but the revenue loss affected even Wall Street), and people kept playing in lesser numbers.

SWTOR is not SWG not even close. But for folks who still enjoy Star Wars its the only game in town. With a new movie coming out next month, why would BW even remotely attempt such a drastic nerf that would anger even 10% (though polls show 70% loathe the new nerf). Unless, of course something else is in play? John Smedley promised former galaxy users a clue last year. Ironically, he has scheduled a press conference for December 21st.

I was there - my Pistoleer/Tailor ... my very first mmo - my Guild's town was based on Lok ... many happy memories ... then the CU hit and we lost half the guild ... later the NGE hit and ... my Guild Town became a ghost town - it was so sad to see ... worse was I was just awaiting the last part of the Jedi quest when the NGE hit - no warning ... I was less then 24 hours from becoming a Jedi ...

I stayed after the NGE ... My Pistoleer/Tailor became a Jedi ... but the melee mechanics were horrible, I found myself chasing the mobs constantly as they moved out of my way ... so I changed class to Spy ... during this time the playerbase bled ... there were so few people on ...

then it closed

I have, and still do, play many mmo's ... keep several subscribed simultaneously, but I will never forget my first ...

R.I.P. Star Wars Galaxies :(

Edited by KrazieFox

It was and great, until the fateful day they told the playerbase how to unlock a player slot/jedi. At that point it became grind wars, grinding each profession to unlock a jedi. Battles stopped, your best BH all of a sudden became a DR..then a couple hours later a scout...then an engineer. They wouldnt participate anymore. They catered to the mass.

Then, came the CU and the NGE...to cater to the masses, making the game easier, and having the people who played a lot...eventually quit.

Once upon a time there was a game that took online gaming to a whole new level even during its beta phase. When it went live it recorded records worldwide that to this day have never been eclipsed.

I don't know what you might be smoking, but this is pretty much all BS. SWG peaked at about 300k subs and was a mediocre game at best.

Is it true that SWG had permadeath for characters who managed to become Jedi? I remember reading that somewhere.

Initially yea. Jedi also wore armor and their lightsabers hit like nerf bats. It wasn't really that fun being a jedi other than showing off your force powers to run really fast away from bounty hunters :p

I don't know what you might be smoking, but this is pretty much all BS. SWG peaked at about 300k subs and was a mediocre game at best.

Back then 300K was Massive ... remember mmo's were not always mainstream - they were a niche market.

I recall City of Heroes proudly announcing 250K Subs ...

Remember this was all Pre - World of Warcraft.

Back then 300K was Massive ... remember mmo's were not always mainstream - they were a niche market.

I recall City of Heroes proudly announcing 250K Subs ...

Remember this was all Pre - World of Warcraft.

Which of course, subsequently broke all records. Hence our confusion.

Ah, memories. Even with bugs in pre-NGE SWG, I loved it. It was almost a perfect sandbox MMO for me. My first toon was a smuggler, and I felt like a smuggler. I harvested, crafted, built housing, *****ed about the bugs but kept playing till my guild was torn apart after NGE.

I loved the game, but it is not really comparable. In many ways, it was more of a precursor to minecraft than to SWTOR.

It was an open world, player driven sandbox where everything was crafted by players, and while I loved the system, I know many of my friends found it confusing and too complex.

Remember the game well. The player housing, towns with mayors, and the best crafting system EVER in an MMO. Then thewy hurt it with the CU and killed it with NGE. Sad way for it to end.

Jump to lightspeed was one of the BEST expansions ever.

I was there - my Pistoleer/Tailor ... my very first mmo - my Guild's town was based on Lok ... many happy memories ... then the CU hit and we lost half the guild ... later the NGE hit and ... my Guild Town became a ghost town - it was so sad to see ... worse was I was just awaiting the last part of the Jedi quest when the NGE hit - no warning ... I was less then 24 hours from becoming a Jedi ...

I stayed after the NGE ... My Pistoleer/Tailor became a Jedi ... but the melee mechanics were horrible, I found myself chasing the mobs constantly as they moved out of my way ... so I changed class to Spy ... during this time the playerbase bled ... there were so few people on ...

then it closed

I have, and still do, play many mmo's ... keep several subscribed simultaneously, but I will never forget my first ...

R.I.P. Star Wars Galaxies :(

Best post ever,seriously made me swell up and remember the good old days...

Not much i can say,from all the mmos ive played SWG is the only one that still remains in my heart.

P.S:Hard to believe that a game that was released in 2003 still had one of the BEST crafting systems ever implemented in any mmo,even by todays standards,i mean open a real shop where you could sell your crafts?

Yeah im tired of theme park mmos where they hold your hand to go everywhere,no wonder this generation of mmo gamers is getting more lazier and dumber by the minute.

Whether or not you personally liked SWG, there were lessons there to be learned about listening to the player base when you are making changes to a game.

If you do not learn from history, then you are doomed to repeat it.

History repeats itself ad infinitum ...

I already see the pattern here ... saw it in City of Heroes/Villains, saw it in Tabula Rasa ...

:(

Revisionist history is revisionist. SWG didn't even have space combat at launch...or speeders, or a lot of other things.

I liked the game and played up until CU, but let's not pretend it was perfect. IIRC EQ and DAoC had about the same number of subs back then...maybe even UO at its' peak.

Edited by HarleysRule

SWG was the best My Elder Sith was always hunted by groups of 20 or more lol. One time 5 Bounty hunters caught up to me and I slayed them all. I loved being OP as a sith in that game. But man did it take me months and months of grinding to unlock. I did fight a Master Tk for like almost a hour one time that was awesome.

SWG was the best My Elder Sith was always hunted by groups of 20 or more lol. One time 5 Bounty hunters caught up to me and I slayed them all. I loved being OP as a sith in that game. But man did it take me months and months of grinding to unlock. I did fight a Master Tk for like almost a hour one time that was awesome.

I loved my TK :cool:

I was there also.

Talk about game addiction.

1st Jedi, 14 holo unlock, 2nd jedi village grind various other builds and crafters, 10 Semi active accounts (lots of cross, server harvester lots trading going on here) :) 2003 to 2007 full time, 2007 to 2011 recurring return visits to hang out with friends who were still playing.

A rebel and Ace Imperial pilot many many times over.

Primary server of addiction Naritus, secondaryservers, tempest, eclipse, wanderhome.

To date I have never encountered another community in any game that could compete with the SWG player community.

Edited by Deamandred

its funny I was working on unlocking Jedi before the CU. remember at that time it was the only way 2 have 2 characters on a server. crafting and housing were amazing but the game was dated. and if they made a game today that fallowed there blue print I would be there in a min