Please make more PvP companions - 1 of each class please

Master-Nala

If this was added in line with changes to PvP to actually make it fair/fun from the beginning rather than after some obligatory amount of grinding and not having fun, sure. Otherwise it's just another excuse to queue up and go play mario maker.

My issue is WZs. I really don't want to do them. Rolled on a PVP server once, and hated it. Wanted to be able to try OWPVP, but everything seemed to be geared towards WZs. So by the time I got to the cross-faction areas, I was woefully clueless and under-geared. Sucked all the enjoyment out of the game for me, as I got ganked and camped and couldn't even do the PVE content. Did meet some nice people on there, and it encouraged me to be more social in-game, so there was a silver lining.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean like the fact that the dozen or so Heroic quests where you are killing the opposite faction? And where said Heroic quests are by far one of the best ways to get materials for your Alliance?

Hey! If my agent killing Republic soldiers and Jedi Masters with Theron Shan as my companion is wrong, then I don't ever want to be right!

(Likewise, if you can report someone for being afk because they're being an intentional detriment to your team, you should be able to report someone for queueing into a game in gear that doesn't have max expertise because they're being an intentional detriment to your team.)

That's kind of unfair because some people might be legit starting out in PvP and they don't have the commendations to buy the gear yet. I didn't. Granted, once I had enough I ended up buying some to make the rest of the 20 war zones easier on me and (hopefully) my team. My husband didn't even know where to GET PvP gear when he started his 20 WZ grind. Neither one of us like to do PvP, nor do we intend on continuing with it, but we are still keeping the gear just in case something else pops up where we need to ("Need" being relative, of course. Neither one of us NEEDED Pierce, but you know what I mean).

My point is that reporting someone for not having the right gear is unfair, especially since you don't know what the situation actually is.

I'm essentially being sarcastic when I say that it should be reportable but I think the current warzone/comm/gearing system does create these kinds of inconsistencies. PVP gear isn't strictly necessary to get to the basic minimum expertise, it can be obtained with gear of a certain rating and doing counter-intuitive things with what your character is wearing. In that regard someone who is queueing into a match without taking those preparatory steps could be said to be as valuable of a team asset as someone who is just going to get their 8 medals by taunting in a crowd and then hiding under spawn.

To be perfectly honest I think pvp needs a lot of things including tutorial modes for new players to experience the warzones and get a handle on the mechanics and objectives (not to mention a chance to keybind huttball throw) as well as stats - and thus ability to win - being a function of time.

PVP-only companions could actually be a great grindy type prize if there is actually a need to motivate getting people to play in that way ( I would argue there isn't) but without some other system changes I still wouldn't enjoy doing it.

Yeah, let's go for some PvP-only companions.

Also, GSF-only companions. Any companion that stands on the bridge should be locked behind completing GSF matches.

And Nightmare Mode OPS progression (completing at least four, hell let's make it six) without dying once to get your class & gender-specific romance companions.

And let's not forget that recruitment requires progression through all of the characters' recruitment quests. So, you'll be running the PvP, GSF, OPS, and why not add a step where you have to buy a companion license from the CM as another, in order to get the companion that you want.

Locking more class companions behind a PvP wall is a bad idea.

Put new companions behind and I'm fine with it. Plus, there's really a lot of issue with your list:

-Zenith doesn't like the Empire, sure. But he didn't like the Republic either for abandonning Balmorra during the war (Twice). In the end he saw reason and joined the Consular. Why would he suddenly turn into a stupid moron unable to realize that the Eternal Empire is a bigger danger? Plus, add to that the fact that Zenith is NOT tied to the Republic directly and Republic victories don't affect Balmorra so he wouldn't care.

-Corso hates separatists from Ord Mantell. He isn't pals with the Empire, sure, but certainly not to the point of calling for their blood in exchange for his help.

-Rusk is a practical man. If he is told that the Alliance is the only way to beat Zakuul, then he'll suck it up and join up without much protest. Though I'd see him as a faction specific companion.

-Khem Val doesn't care about the Empire. He cares about Tulak Hord's legacy and now Lord Kallig/Darth Nox's.

-Temple is not a part of the Empire. Her rank of Ensign is from the Chiss Ascendancy. She doesn't especially hate the Republic and refused to join the Quesh regiment at the end of her story because she wanted to keep operating alongside Cipher Nine. She wouldn't ask for open war either and she would easily see the need for the Alliance.

-Torian will most likely be dependant on the Bounty Hunter Week event and will probably be Empire-only (Just like Akaavi will work similarly and be Republic only).

M1-4X and Pierce kinda work as they are both trained soldiers and rather fanatical. Your picks? Nope, nope, nope.

Thanks for trying though.

and why not add a step where you have to buy a companion license from the CM as another, in order to get the companion that you want.

What? Direct buy on the CM? Are you crazy? It will drop from a pack (Drop rate 0,000001%) filled with the worst looking armors/pets/mounts in the game, costing 10k CC each and the license will be bound on pick-up so no GTN sale.

Edited by Leklor

Just by looking at the difference between the PVE and PVP server populations this will never happen..

Doing this will drive a lot of people from playing this game.. Nobody likes to be forced to play PVP.. Yet since the beta, both Bioware and PVP'ers have been trying..

Your idea will not happen.. It forces people to PVP and that is not a good thing.. People don't like it.. Nothing more to say.. ;)

This,

how about we get rid of PvP altogether . I mean get rid of anything PvP.

What? Direct buy on the CM? Are you crazy? It will drop from a pack (Drop rate 0,000001%) filled with the worst looking armors/pets/mounts in the game, costing 10k CC each and the license will be bound on pick-up so no GTN sale.

Someone has been swallowed up by the Saar Chasm.

Edited by tmwfte

Most things in the game are PVE-only. A couple things (a few event quests, a couple companions out of well over a dozen) that are not in any way mandatory (or hard to do/get) are pvp-only and some spoiled/entitled whiners flip out. This game has pvp. It has pvpers. Pvp is popular: there are more people in wzs & arenas than raids at any given time on most servers - even pve ones. And pve-only mmos haven't done well. Pvpers definitely should get more bones thrown to them.

I'm not keen on PVP walls for companions. I can suck it up and slog my way through (and have) but it simply isn't enjoyable. GSF would be a bridge too far for me though. I'm susceptible to major motion sickness when even just watching any sort of flight simulator so playing one is just right out. Those would be companions I'd just never get as I'm pretty sure no team is going to want a pilot who flies around with their eyes shut or the monitor turned off.

It's possible. It thought the best way to survive the Saar Chasm was to try and one-up it. Maybe it went too far :D

It's like quicksand or a pitcher plant, the more you try to get out of it, the deeper you sink. Best just to start speaking German instead of Moselle French.

To be honest, though, if they had optional non-class companions that had different mechanics like PvP, GSF, OPS, crafting, etc. in order to get them, I wouldn't really have a problem with it at all.

I'm not keen on PVP walls for companions. I can suck it up and slog my way through (and have) but it simply isn't enjoyable. GSF would be a bridge too far for me though. I'm susceptible to major motion sickness when even just watching any sort of flight simulator so playing one is just right out. Those would be companions I'd just never get as I'm pretty sure no team is going to want a pilot who flies around with their eyes shut or the monitor turned off.

Why not? Trust the Force and turn off your targeting computer, you might end up blowing up the Death Star!

Seriously though, I don't suffer from motion sickness but I find GSF' control scheme horrible. Unless they add a controller option, any companion behind a GSF would could go die in the deepest of hells before I'd recruit him.

To be honest, though, if they had optional non-class companions that had different mechanics like PvP, GSF, OPS, crafting, etc. in order to get them, I wouldn't really have a problem with it at all.

Totally agreed. Why not craftable droid companions (For example)?

Edited by Leklor

Noone is benefitting from the OP´s proposal, least of all the PvP crowd. Do you really want to get stuck in warzones with people who have no real interest to be there and who may lack the gear/knowledge?

I´m all for giving PvPers the option to recruit every companion through PvP, just as we PvE people should have the option to recruit through PvE alone. But hiding companions behind a PVP wall only is a horrible idea.

Noone is benefitting from the OP´s proposal, least of all the PvP crowd. Do you really want to get stuck in warzones with people who have no real interest to be there and who may lack the gear/knowledge?

I´m all for giving PvPers the option to recruit every companion through PvP, just as we PvE people should have the option to recruit through PvE alone. But hiding companions behind a PVP wall only is a horrible idea.

No, it's really a terrible idea to give people the ability to only play that part of the game they want. People will never try something new without incentives.

No, it's really a terrible idea to give people the ability to only play that part of the game they want. People will never try something new without incentives.

There is a difference between an "incentive" (M1-4X/Pierce in some form count, it's just poorly done) and systematic roadblocks. Your proposition counts as "systematic roadblocks".

If people are enjoying one aspect of a game, and are happy with it, why shouldn't they keep doing it? When people have done enough PvE or whatever they like doing and get fed up with it, they will find new things to amuse themselves. Now there is just people getting annoyed by BW making them pvp, and guys who do pvp are getting pissed of because of huge amounts of people who have no idea of what to do in warzones

Or, the inverse, let me earn companions through only PvP.

Why is it my chosen method of having fun is less important than anyone else's?

Reread my post :) I never said they shouldn't.

PvP sucks for me. I hate it. But I don't think it should stop existing.

I think there should be multiple ways to earn cool stuff. PvP AND Solo content.

pve elitism in action boys

Always have to laugh at the raw irony involved when PvPers or "Raiders" try to call out any other player for elitism -- even if that individual player is as humble and kind as the day is long, each comes from a sub-community of the MMO world that is absolutely infested and rife with smug self-congratulating toolery.

The double irony is that these threads will often devolve into the two groups chastising each other back and forth for being "elitist" or "self-centered".

Or, the inverse, let me earn companions through only PvP.

Why is it my chosen method of having fun is less important than anyone else's?

Why is "earning companions" (or any other form of "reward") necessary for your chosen method of having fun... to be important or fun?

Personally, I'd rather see a setup where just about any "cool thing" in the game (armor, weapon, mount, deco, companion, all sorts of unlocks, reputations, whatever), can be obtained several different ways. NOTHING should be locked behind content that a significant portion of the playerbase has no interest in doing otherwise.

The one thing I wonder about is this: are the hardcore PvPers actually upset about "having" to do PvE content at all? Do they level and gear entirely through PvP? Do they forgo unlocking companions and skip even the class stories? How does one actually avoid PvE in this game -- honest question -- why would one expect to?

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Why is "earning companions" (or any other form of "reward") necessary for your chosen method of having fun... to be important or fun?

Because psychologically we human enjoy things with rewards more than we don't. It stimulates our pleasure centers. This isn't something we can control. But it's something that game developers know and its why so many things about MMORPG are designed they way they are.

Personally, I'd rather see a setup where just about any "cool thing" in the game (armor, weapon, mount, deco, companion, all sorts of unlocks, reputations, whatever), can be obtained several different ways. NOTHING should be locked behind content that a significant portion of the playerbase has no interest in doing otherwise.

The irony of that position is that people will still feel 'forced' into whatever method is the fastest or easiest.

I'll give you a real life example. Some of you might remember City of Heroes the superhero MMORPG that died in 2012. Well, the hyper-casual playerbase demanded that the late game "Incarnate" system provide a method for solo players to advance. And so they did. It just took, and I'm not exaggerating, 50x-100x as long as doing the relatively easy raids that people could find a pickup group for most times of the day.

And folks complained that there wasn't a real solo option. We see that in the Alliance quest for Qyzen. Much quicker to hunt the world bosses, but it's no longer soloable. Some people are complaining about the grind, when it's really miniscule.

So sure, we could create a longer and tedious solo option the devs really wouldn't expect you to use. But that's not going to stop the complaints. People who are complaining about 4x/Pierce don't want a PvE option. They want an EASY PvE option.

The one thing I wonder about is this: are the hardcore PvPers actually upset about "having" to do PvE content at all? Do they level and gear entirely through PvP? Do they forgo unlocking companions and skip even the class stories? How does one actually avoid PvE in this game -- honest question -- why would one expect to?

No one said we were upset. That's the whole point. We aren't upset about doing PvE and this is why (for me at least) I think it's so silly to be upset about having to do the Warzones. You literally just have to play them. Do 4-5 a night and you'll be done in a week. Heck, maybe if you try to get better you might actually have fun.

I genuinely do not understand why people are so frightened of PvP. And let's be honest, frightened is the right word. People may use 'hate', but in many of these posts you can feel the fear as easily as if you had the force. :D