Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pfft, Legacy system is crap. I'll make different character on different servers. I have no intention of sharing a last name acorss all my characters. LOL. How dumb was the guy who came up with that? And how dumb was the guy who OK'd it.

I tend to believe it was something that they slapped on in the eleventh hour without thinking about it much at all. It may be that the legacy system itself was in the works for a long time, but that making it a surname that stretched across all characters was kind of a catch-all that they developed to attempt to silence a group of people demanding last names who were quite vocal in the 12 or so months prior to launch.

Regardless, yes, the entire system is a tacked-on, half-bake joke. However, since I rarely expect major changes to come quickly, working within this system, I merely want to change my name. I'll leave the mountain-toppling to others.

I maintain it is absolutely no business of your's whether I change my name. That is not changing the system, it is changing my name.

Do you show up in court when people attempt real-life name changes and shout that such an act will 'affect your lineage?' Do you throw rotten fruit at newlyweds because you didn't agree with the pairing? I'm just trying to ascertain exactly how my business is suddenly your own.

Because it would impact my gameplay and the legacy system if they made the change. You also chose to bring your QQ to a public forum.

SWTOR is not real life. If you think it's even close then you need to take a break.

I tend to believe it was something that they slapped on in the eleventh hour without thinking about it much at all. It may be that the legacy system itself was in the works for a long time, but that making it a surname that stretched across all characters was kind of a catch-all that they developed to attempt to silence a group of people demanding last names who were quite vocal in the 12 or so months prior to launch.

Regardless, yes, the entire system is a tacked-on, half-bake joke. However, since I rarely expect major changes to come quickly, working within this system, I merely want to change my name. I'll leave the mountain-toppling to others.

Your meltdown suggests otherwise

You're right it is none of our business.....which is why you brought it to a public forum......DOH

I don't want to stop your meltdown. I am enjoying it very much

Did it ever occur to you that the reason I am posting so frequently is to keep the thread near the top? No, I suppose not. Thank you for the free bumps, though :D.

Edited by AJediKnight

I'll be the first to admit that I made a mistake when I created my legacy name. I thought I was going to stick with my Jedi Knight... but I wound up later switching to a Sith Inquisitor.

To the people for whom these things matter (and granted, that isn't everyone by any means), surnames are of huge importance. We were the people who booed (loudly) when you announced the decision to link legacy names to surnames; and we're the same people who still cringe every time we have to choose between a Twi'lek and a Sith Pureblood on opposite factions either having the same surname or having none at all. I'm not going to lie and pretend that I represent everyone, or even, perhaps, a majority -- but I am hardly the only person who cares about this.

Back to the topic at hand, I chose the wrong surname, and wound up choosing a different character as my main. She will either now have to have no surname (unacceptable), or the wrong surname (also unacceptable), or I can abandon my guild and reroll on another server. As awful as such a prospect is, this is the direction I am now learning.

Because there is no method to change surnames at present (you can't petition to have it done [which begs the question -- what happens when someone chooses a profane legacy name?], you can't delete every character on the server to reset it [which I would have been willing to do] -- you literally cannot do anything but leave the server), if you make a mistake, mispelling, or simply choose something you wind up hating, that's it. There's nothing that can be done.

And I would be willing to pay -- PAY! REAL FRIGGIN MONEY -- to change my surname right now. I cannot. I am offering hard, real-life currency in exchange for such a process, and am being turned away. Hell, even if I was holding my hand out and asking for a one-time change for free, I don't think that would be that extreme an expectation.

But no; not only does Bioware not want my money; they have apparently constructued a system with the legacy that is so profoundly and rigidly 'locked in' to the core of the game that something as simple as a name can't even be changed by a GM. That's just foul design -- there's no way around it. To say I am disappointed would be a profound understatement.

I understand the issue and maybe I could see this being important in the grand scheme of things about 6 months down the road.

Sorry... of all things... I think of all the BUGS vs wants and desires... sadly this was working as intended.

If they cater to this then I want to be able to change servers first. I think that would be more important then surenames.

As you see my point this goes into a spiral of what is important to get to. A mistake made by a player... or game breaking broken mechanics that need to be addressed affecting 2 million subs.

So while I see your point.. I find since it was your fault that they just allow you to turn it off like you can now. AT LEAST that works and is working as intended.

Again.. if it was broke, I could totally see the point and agree.

I hope they fix 100000 things before this gets any attention sadly.

Guild Banks --

Guild Ships --

Fixes to instances --

Quest repairs of being broken --

etc.. you get the point.

Sure is, we play the same game and programming decisions they make impact my character. The whole purpose of a LEGACY is to have a lineage. If you took the time to actually research what you were doing maybe you wouldn't have ended up with an inappropriate name.

A lot of people know exactly how the system works, we just think it sucks. I can pretty much guarantee you Bioware will change this because once the great masses create alts and notice this they will be complaining loudly. There is just no way Sith pureblood, Zabriek, Human, Twilek, etc would have the same last name. It doesn't fit Star Wars canon. They need to unlink legacy with surnames, problem solved.

I mean, really, it's mind-boggling. Name changes are just a part of life in MMOs. People get dissatisfied; they make mistakes; they have a change of heart -- how could you possibly launch a system whre NOT EVEN THE GMS CAN CHANGE SURNAMES, BIOWARE??
I'd say that he's lying to you.

quick, someone who's really dissatisfied with the game play a bit longer and make your legacy name a really foul racial slur. Let us know how long it takes them to change it.

My take from this thread is

Some people are to stupid to think about a name choice before making it. Now they are QQing and meltdown over their bad choice.

I say do not change it, it isn't broke so do not fix it.

A lot of people know exactly how the system works, we just think it sucks. I can pretty much guarantee you Bioware will change this because once the great masses create alts and notice this they will be complaining loudly. There is just no way Sith pureblood, Zabriek, Human, Twilek, etc would have the same last name. It doesn't fit Star Wars canon. They need to unlink legacy with surnames, problem solved.

I always love when people make guarantees on behalf of companies they don't work for. Guess we'll see what happens.

My take from this thread is

Some people are to stupid to think about a name choice before making it. Now they are QQing and meltdown over their bad choice.

I say do not change it, it isn't broke so do not fix it.

Aye, it's on par with people QQing about their AC choice.

If he was sitting in a dark cave, and the fellow in the hole next door had just invented fire, Airinya would throw water on it.

Change -- even change for the positive -- is very frightening to a lot of people. They will support the status quo even if it is absolutely contrary to the betterment of themselves and others.

This is what I got from the OP....don't drink the night you pick ur Legacy name! ;)

I fully support your effort to change this system. OBVIOUSLY the technology exists to do it - Bioware just needs the willingness to do it.

It'd be really nice if they could commicate that to us. Hell, they don't even have to be precise: just 'yeah, we're not really happy with the surnames as they stand now, either. Something else is in the works -- we promise.' That's all it would take! But, as has happened so many other times in this game's development cycle we, the players, are kept in the dark. It was like this in beta when people told them that the character creator was rather weak, or that there was ability delay, or skill bloat -- suggestions; good, honest suggestions, were ignored wholesale.

I understand this is 'their game' -- certainly, WoW has been designing under that umbrella concept for years (where the players come last and are told nothing) and it has worked out for them. But, unlike in TOR, when there is mass outcry in WoW about the stupidity of decisions, an 'official' generally steps forward to at least acknowledge that they are aware of the concerns.

That never happens here.

The lack of communication is troubling. I couldn't set up my subscription because the website is bugged and wouldn't take 9 different credit/debit cards from 4 different people, 1 of which already being validated by Bioware and working on their account. I had to BUY a 60 day game card to access my FREE 30 days. After 4 service tickets and 4 generic replies by Droids basically calling me retarded and posting the Steps on how to activate your account.... Someone from Bioware FINALLY responded with an actual answer that helped. Admitted they know there is a problem, it's not my card like the stupid droids were saying and they are working on it. I was satisfied and replied back that i know it's a popular game at launch and expected problems. Thanks for the answer. Why they can't do more things like this blows my mind. It actually makes the customer think you care.

At the end of the day its a probally sql database so of course they can do it, dont be stupid.

There's a difference between 'cannot' and 'are not permitted.'

I believe they could change my legacy name in about 5 seconds. I also believe they don't have permission to.

At the end of the day its a probally sql database so of course they can do it, dont be stupid.
then they should say that they won't do it, not that they can't do it.

I'm thinking about going with "Starkiller'); Drop Table players;--" as my legacy name

Edited by ferroz

If he was sitting in a dark cave, and the fellow in the hole next door had just invented fire, Airinya would throw water on it.

Change -- even change for the positive -- is very frightening to a lot of people. They will support the status quo even if it is absolutely contrary to the betterment of themselves and others.

Right... Just because you're too narrow minded to see how a change like this would impact other players and can only see the immediate "zomg this is what I wantz why cantz I have it zomgwtf peanut jelly" doesn't mean that I'm regressive.

You're the new generation MMO fan that wants everything in the game handed to you on a silver platter just how you like it or you're going to zip over to the forums to QQ and then get mad when people disagree with you.

I want to play the game as a purple bouncy ball from the planet Zoron and the name Captain Blobbedy Blob and be able to bounce from one side of the zone to the other and from planet to planet... Since this doesn't impact you though you have no say on it.

I don't have a problem with permanent surnames but I will say this: It's a little weird that my family apparently adopted one of every species and that they all grew up to be different professions and work for different factions.

There's some weird stuff going on with those parents.

Of course they are not permitted, you haven't paid for it yet;)

Hah.

Well I am offering to pay.

I also seem to recall WoW allowed some name-changes prior to the paid system being implemented. Once they realized how massive the demand was, they cashed in on it. However, prior to that, they were willing to help in a limited way if you weren't abusing the system.

However, at least in WoW, if all else failed, you could just delete a character to reroll. In TOR, you can't do anything to help yourself with regards to the legacy, no matter how extreme.

Aye, it's on par with people QQing about their AC choice.
Not really, I can always roll a new character with a different AC. Or I can delete my current character and create a new one.

There ARE solutions for picking the wrong AC, even if they don't make some people happy.

There isn't currently a solution for this problem

On my server there is a guy named - Lord Salad Tosser-

So I guess he is part of the Tosser family forever now. He will be a god among men if he ever goes to prison me thinks.

I think the option to change the name would be good. IMO

what server?

we should get a bunch of people and petition that surname (Tosser is fairly rude slang in some parts of the world, no?) and see if they change it, and if so how long it takes.

Not really, I can always roll a new character with a different AC. Or I can delete my current character and create a new one.

There ARE solutions for picking the wrong AC, even if they don't make some people happy.

There isn't currently a solution for this problem

My point was not about the permanency of the issue but the people who come and cry about at choice THEY made and are subsequently upset about because they failed to ask the adequate questions or do any research.

Edited by Airinya