Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

Right... Just because you're too narrow minded to see how a change like this would impact other players and can only see the immediate "zomg this is what I wantz why cantz I have it zomgwtf peanut jelly" doesn't mean that I'm regressive.

Yes, it does mean precisely that. Allowing people to change their legacy names does not affect you. They can already choose to hide them from you -- you don't have any legitimate or realistic expectations of collective ownership.

You're the new generation MMO fan that wants everything in the game handed to you on a silver platter just how you like it or you're going to zip over to the forums to QQ and then get mad when people disagree with you.

I've been playing MMOs since UO, so you can just bag that theory and try again. As I said before, and as I will almost certainly say again, this isn't any of your business, just like it wasn't any of your business when I chose the name originally. It is between me and Bioware, and that's really all there is to it. And don't even begin to beat that 'well you're just soft' drum. I've already said several times that if I could delete every character I had on the server to reset the name, I would do so. I'm not sure it gets any more hardcore than that -- wasting 60 some-odd hours of game time to change a name.

I want to play the game as a purple bouncy ball from the planet Zoron and the name Captain Blobbedy Blob and be able to bounce from one side of the zone to the other and from planet to planet... Since this doesn't impact you though you have no say on it.

I'm not attempting to circumvent game mechanics, lore, story, or any other of this game's facets. I am merely trying to get another surname for my characters. Again, it is absolutely no business of your's, but keep telling yourself that it is, because it is certainly amusing to watch you continuously try to spin this.

Edited by AJediKnight

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not attempting to circumvent game mechanics, lore, story, or any other of this game's facets. I am merely trying to get another surname for my characters. Again, it is absolutely no business of your's, but keep telling yourself that it is, because it is certainly amusing to watch you continuously try to spin this.

That is exactly what you're attempting to do. The game mechanics are that you pick a Legacy name and that is the name your characters get. A change to this would be a change to game mechanics and possibly, depending on how they implement it, a change to lore and story. You have no idea what they're going to do with it.

I'll also say again that if you don't want it to be anyone elses "business" or other people to comment on it then get off the forums and submit an in-game ticket.

Edited by Airinya

That is exactly what you're attempting to to. The game mechanics are that you pick a Legacy name and that is the name your characters get. A change to this would be a change to game mechanics and possibly, depending on how they implement it, a change to lore and story. you have no idea what they're going to do with it.

I'll also say again that if you don't want it to be anyone elses "business" or other people to comment on it then get off the forums and submit an in-game ticket.

You didn't even respond to the other parts of the post because you can't.

Also, a name isn't a game mechanic, it's a name. If I was asking for angel wings so I could fly over content, or a shield that stopped all damage, that would be bipassing game content. Hell, you might even be right if I was asking for my legacy name to be displayed in a special color, like green or blue text. But a legacy name change? That's not bipassing content, because if I had chosen the name I wanted in the first place, you wouldn't even know it.

Try again. Post something else for me to tear apart publically. I welcome your soft targets.

Edited by AJediKnight

question- if I move servers does this name follow me there?

No. Which is likely what I will wind up doing. I'd prefer not to leave my guild, but they'll live.

Well, scratch that... I may do that unless Airinya tells me not to. After all, I might be bipassing game content by switching servers.

You didn't even respond to the other parts of the post because you can't.

Also, a name isn't a game mechanic, it's a name. If I was asking for angel wings so I could fly over content, or a shield that stopped all damage, that would be bipassing game content. Hell, you might even be right if I was asking for my legacy name to be displayed in a special color, like green or blue text. But a legacy name change? That's not bipassing content, because if I had chosen the name I wanted in the first place, you wouldn't even know it.

Try again. Post something else for me to tear apart publically. I welcome your easy targets.

The Legacy system is a game mechanic that uses your the surname YOU CHOOSE. I didn't respond to the rest of your arguments because they weren't valid. I don't care how long you've played mmos and my Blobby McBlobberson character (or whatever I chose to call him) didn't interfere with your gameplay at all so your argument is again, null and void. Last time I checked none of the Star Wars characters changed their last name so, again, you'd be messing with lore.

I didn't respond to the rest of your arguments because I didn't know how to.

Fixed that for you.

I don't care how long you've played mmos and my Blobby McBlobberson character (or whatever I chose to call him) didn't interfere with your gameplay at all so your argument is again, null and void.

You brought up how long I had been playing -- you. You called me a part of a 'new generation of MMOers' who expect everything for free. I was explaining to you that you were incorrect in labeling me. Don't act like I just 'pulled rank' with my age on you when you called my experience into question.

Last time I checked none of the Star Wars characters changed their last name so, again, you'd be messing with lore.

Last time I checked, Luke, Wedge, Vader, Maul and Palpatine didn't all have the same last name because George Lucas decided to roll them.

Last time I checked, Luke, Wedge, Vader, Maul and Palpatine didn't all have the same last name because George Lucas decided to roll them.

Yeah... Guess you'll just have to go write your own game and see who comes to play it because they can change their name!

Off to the gym, hope your post doesn't drop like a rock.

even though i am insamely proude about my Warprider legacy (the sword ... man ... awesome band!) i can se how some people might want to change the name they chose.

Thank you.

I'm not asking to change the system; I'm not asking for a redesign. I just want to change my name. I made a mistake, I am willing to pay for it with deleting my characters if need be, but I'd like a change.

No. Which is likely what I will wind up doing. I'd prefer not to leave my guild, but they'll live.

Ditching your guild to switch servers so you can have a different Legacy name... are you serious? Sad a stupid feature like a legacy name takes priority over friends/players you meet online. Guess some people don't play with a full deck if you know what I mean.

WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER NAME!? All these posts about why/why not wants me to know what is so wrong with your Sith name!

And to all the people saying 'Derp no ne changed their name evarr in the SW lore', what about 'Luke Skywalker' changing to 'Darth Vader'?

Owned....

Edited by Lolliipopp

Ditching your guild to switch servers so you can have a different Legacy name... are you serious? Sad a stupid feature like a legacy name takes priority over friends/players you meet online. Guess some people don't play with a full deck if you know what I mean.

It means that some people have different priorities than others. I know that I will get along with other people, on other servers, and that friendly guilds with friendly people are, thankfully, a dime a dozen.

I also know I will always been looking over my shoulder at that name if it isn't changed, and that it will rob the gaming experience of much of its joy. Therefore, yes, I will choose the name over the guild, if need be.

It's not something I want, and since I am out of town with the in-laws right now, it's not something that will happen immediately. But, come Jan. 3, I will be forced to make a choice, and that's the choice I will have to make. I will leave officership in a guild to make this right for myself. I will not be bound by these ridiculous rules. I will transcend them in the ultimate manner if Bioware can't give me a hand.

Edited by AJediKnight

Can someone opposed to legacy name changing please post a coherent reasoning as to why they would be against such a personal feature? I've read this entire thread and I've only read inaccurate things about guilds/players identifying bad players(or bad behavior) through their legacy name, but considering the option to simply hide the surname as well as the legacy <insert name here> bar, this point is effectively moot.

Again I am really interested in competent reasons for being against a name change? Too many personal attacks to the OP that have no constructive use or need here.

Can someone opposed to legacy name changing please post a coherent reasoning as to why they would be against such a personal feature? I've read this entire thread and I've only read inaccurate things about guilds/players identifying bad players(or bad behavior) through their legacy name, but considering the option to simply hide the surname as well as the legacy <insert name here> bar, this point is effectively moot.

Again I am really interested in competent reasons for being against a name change? Too many personal attacks to the OP that have no constructive use or need here.

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment and try to field one:

I think people believe that caving to this is the start of a slippery slope. Pretty soon you're allowing faction transfers, server transfers, first-name changes, and microtransactions. The game will become just as a bought-and-sold digital property as WoW has become. They believe this will set a bad precedent for arrangements that actually will alter the gameplay in minor ways, and since they don't have a dog in this particular fight, they're banking on the side of safety -- perhaps if this allowance isn't made, nothing will ever change.

The problem with this is twofold.

First: microtransactions for stuff are coming regardless of what happens here. Bioware has already announced there will be a store, and whether or not they help out people with changing names, other, more obvious purchases are coming.

Second: things like name changes long predate the MT craze. Customer service types have been helping unhappy gamers long before a credit card number was required to get it done. This is just a part of life in these games; people get unhappy with stuff, and a small portion of the monthly fee is designed to employ the CS types who can help rectify it.

But, hell, that was just a stab in the darkness. Perhaps these people really do believe this system is going to help guilds identify ninja looters. How? I don't have the foggiest. :rolleyes:

Edited by AJediKnight

Ironic thing is...with your first point about the game becoming full of micro transaction like WoW is: most people I see on the forums are strongly advocating adding features commonly found in WoW, in an effort to make the game as familiar as WoW has become. So if some people were really afraid of this transition to a WoW-like state, the contradictions would become rampant. Then again, I suppose I should expect something like that by now. Edited by Veritask

I have to agree with the OP. While I may not feel so strongly about the Legacy names to quit my server if I wanted to change, I think we should still be given the option.

I'm surprised that in a game that focuses so much on your personal storyline that they would force you to have the same surname across all characters on that server. Granted, surnames are not exactly game changing at all but if I want to be Lord Salad Tosser and Cipher Agent Kenny Rogers on the same server, I should have that option because that's who my character is.

I'm hoping we see an option to change legacy names once they flesh it all out.

I have to agree with the OP. While I may not feel so strongly about the Legacy names to quit my server if I wanted to change, I think we should still be given the option.

I'm surprised that in a game that focuses so much on your personal storyline that they would force you to have the same surname across all characters on that server. Granted, surnames are not exactly game changing at all but if I want to be Lord Salad Tosser and Cipher Agent Kenny Rogers on the same server, I should have that option because that's who my character is.

I'm hoping we see an option to change legacy names once they flesh it all out.

I'm not hoping for instant gratification. A simple 'we hope to add that soon ' would be plenty for me to remain on my server. A six month or even year-long wait would be fine. What's not fine is forever, and that is the fear that would drive me to change servers.

The flaw in hoping for a policy change is that certain glaring issues were ignored throughout the beta despite testers screaming loudly about them being a problem. To me, this is proof that Bioware doesn't always have a firm grasp on what's a right or a smart move with this game's development.

To put it simply: it seems like common sense to assume that name changes are coming. However, common sense doesn't always appear to be the governing force behind the actions of this development team.

Edited by AJediKnight

I asked Stephen Reid this: it does nothing. And, not only that, but I asked what would happen if you deleted every character on the server. Know what happens then? Nothing! You can't even petition for a surname change -- the GMs are unable to do that!

I mean, really, it's mind-boggling. Name changes are just a part of life in MMOs. People get dissatisfied; they make mistakes; they have a change of heart -- how could you possibly launch a system whre NOT EVEN THE GMS CAN CHANGE SURNAMES, BIOWARE??

They are not "just a part of life in mmos".

They are yet another thing certain mmo players whine about.

You get a legacy name per server .. live with it . It isn't exactly challenging is it ?

Edited by Baldness

The yare not part of life in mmos.

they are yet another thing certain mko players whine about.,

You get a legacy name per server .. live with it . It isn't exactly challenging is it ?

I refuse to. If they don't change it, I'll switch servers. I won't 'live with it.'

My issue is that I misspelled my Surname (after having 16 other spellings rejected).

I just want a simple "This name is available! are you sure you want your name to be: XXXXXX?"

No Confirmation window. Now I have a stupid name for the rest of my characters on the realm.

Fix now.