Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surname is a bonus, not an all encompassing feature of the game. You don't need a surname.

The problem with this argument is that its a slippery slope.

You don't need good graphics or animations because the numbers are all that matters.

You don't need strong character customization because most of you character will be covered in gear.

You don't need to level characters because what happens at the endgame is all that's important.

I don't know if you are new to the genre or what, but about 80% of what goes on in MMOs is just really detailed paper-dollism. How do we dress our dolls? What color do we make their skin and their hair? What pretty settings do we put them in? What other dolls do we surround them with? And, yes, what do we name our dolls?

If the 'little things' don't matter, then why bother playing at all? This is a multiplayer game; the image that we project to others is of paramount importance, and a name is a gigantic part of that.

By all means, if surnames don't matter to you, don't display them. But don't for a second assume your ambivalence is universal. And also, do not presume that your failure to display said name, or you having chosen one that is silly or stupid or out-of-place isn't sending a profound message. It's the same thing as if you walked up to me in real life wearing a cardboard tie. Yes, appearances really do matter.

Edited by AJediKnight

The legacy name is great way to recognize players from your server and it really really supports a good server community. So leave it as it is Bioware. Just add some more Information about how important this decision is and get a proper confirm button so that the massive amount of ******* that is already displayed in this thread doesnt choose the wrong name and cries about it afterwards. Do not add things like name change or anything. I saw how these features destroyed every social thing that i connected with my server in wow. Pls dont do this.

The legacy name is great way to recognize players from your server and it really really supports a good server community. So leave it as it is Bioware. Just add some more Information about how important this decision is and get a proper confirm button so that the massive amount of ******* that is already displayed in this thread doesnt choose the wrong name and cries about it afterwards. Do not add things like name change or anything. I saw how these features destroyed every social thing that i connected with my server in wow. Pls dont do this.

I want Biff's cane so I can pound you on the head with it.

Hello. HELLO?! Is anybody home? Think, McFly, THINK!

You can already HIDE the name. Many people are doing so right now.

That.

Destroys.

Your.

Argument.

Sheesh. The people who keep bringing this up make as much sense as a screen door on a battleship. Now why don't you make like a tree, and get out?

Edited by AJediKnight

You have the OPTION to hide it if you wish to. That doesnt mean that you have to hide it. It is like i said a great way to recognize ppl from your server. I got recognized by many ppl and god i love it. It reminds me of good old wow times. And like i said they should add more information when youre able to choose this name and how important it is.Thats it. And they should ofc give lovely human beeings like you are the oppurtunity to change their "LOLCHRISTMASMEDRUNK" legacy name once until they release the further information patch. And if ppl still dont wanna show their name = fine for me if they dont wish to be recognized.

That's terribad; BW should fix this such that at least SOMEONE can change the surnames.

I feel sorry for the OP for this issue, and that Bioware is at fault here for not having at least some sort of system to change this, especially considering the OP is willing to pay money.

Edited by cdstephen

That's terribad; BW should fix this such that at least SOMEONE can change the surnames.

I feel sorry for the OP for this issue, and that Bioware is at fault here for not having at least some sort of system to change this.

Yes.

Really, this is what the thread was all about.

If the customer service people can't do it, why not? If you don't want them to have to deal with that, why not put a mechanic in the game that allows the players to change it? And, hell, if all else fails, why not allow different surnames for different characters, and make the legacy name different entirely?

But, really, I'd settle for a system when I can petition for a change. I mean, yeah, if people make a habit out of abusing that service, then don't allow it for those players anymore. But how about a change once a year? Is that really hurting anyone?

I would delete every character on the server if it reset the name -- it would be worth it to me. Why doesn't even that do anything?

Edited by AJediKnight

But how about a change once a year? Is that really hurting anyone?

Why doesn't even that do anything?

God i cant even describe how much i despise ppl like you. I really hope Bioware doesnt fall for these horrible suggestions of the com like blizzard did...

God i cant even describe how much i despise ppl like you. I really hope Bioware doesnt fall for these horrible suggestions of the com like blizzard did...

So... my desire to change a personal surname -- which I can already hide -- has elicited... a response of hatred from you?

I don't even know what to suggest, at this point. In fact, anything I'd say or urge you to do would likely get this post deleted. But, uh... yeah. Good priorities there.

Well, as long as you're being reasonable about this...

First he wants the oppurtunity to change his name once wich is understandable since the information that you get about choosing the legacy name is rather poor atm. Okay understandable. But then he just pops up with the idea of letting ppl change it once a year. Exactly this kind of thinking will lead to a looking for raid tool and non existent server communitys. So i guess my point is clear now.

First he wants the oppurtunity to change his name once wich is understandable since the information that you get about choosing the legacy name is rather poor atm. Okay understandable. But then he just pops up with the idea of letting ppl change it once a year. Exactly this kind of thinking will lead to a looking for raid tool and non existent server communitys. So i guess my point is clear now.

Not... really. No. Not at all.

You're equating changing an optional name -- which people can already hide -- to the cross-server looking for raid tool in World of Warcraft?

Again, I don't know where to begin with this. I'm not asking to change my character's actual name, just a legacy surname which is optional to display in the first place. How is this hurting you, or your enjoyment of the game? Hell, if I can't change the name and hide it instead, is your head going to explode because I'm ruining the community by not showing a name I don't like?

You want to know who ruined WoW? Look in a mirror. A bad community was the first strike against that title. And telling people you hate them because they want to change something that has absolutely zero bearing on you; something that you have absolutely no right to have a say in, ever? Yeah, well, again... go get a mirror.

Edited by AJediKnight

Just because its optional doesnt mean its not important. This legacy name is a tool for ppl to show off or to recognize each other. Im pretty sure they will allow name change but that doesnt bother me as long as they dont allow ppl to change their legacy name. Its a nice and intelligent tool to keep ppl from doing stupid **** cause they cant change that name. This name will accompany them with all the **** they are doing on their server and in the end they will gain a reputation. If they apply for a guild or a raid for example ppl will be able to distinguish between bad and good players very soon. And exactly this shows in my opinion that its just not a cosmetic name that you can show if you want or not. Its much more than that. At least as long as there is no server transfer available. In classic wow for example ninja looting or bad behaviour was not existing because ppl knew each other and you got a bad rep pretty fast if you did ****. And this clever little tool gives us the same chance again wrapped in the form of a cosmetic feature. Im off to bed now so no more replies from me ;-)

I have to agree we need a chance to change it, once I got the popup I thought I would do that later because I didn't have any good ones at that moment, guess what the popup harassed me until I chose one and now I want to change it to something more suiting.

BW, fix it. :mad:

Just because its optional doesnt mean its not important.

No, it doesn't mean it is unimportant.

Rather, the fact that it is optional means that all the decision-making power still rests with the player; they can either display the name or choose not to. If they choose not to, you -- as another player -- can't make any determination about them; who their alts are, etc. Thus, the most important tool of all -- the ability to decline the Legacy Name altogether -- renders any demands you might have regarding my legacy name's importance to you null and void.

It is only important to the user.

This legacy name is a tool for ppl to show off or to recognize each other.

Unless it is turned off. What's it do then?

Im pretty sure they will allow name change but that doesnt bother me as long as they dont allow ppl to change their legacy name.

So, an optional surname is more important than the name that you identify a character by? :rolleyes:

Its a nice and intelligent tool to keep ppl from doing stupid **** cause they cant change that name. This name will accompany them with all the **** they are doing on their server and in the end they will gain a reputation.

YOU. CAN. HIDE. THE. NAME.

Think about that, PLEASE, for just a second.

And exactly this shows in my opinion that its just not a cosmetic name that you can show if you want or not. Its much more than that.

It is wholly cosmetic.

And this clever little tool gives us the same chance again wrapped in the form of a cosmetic feature. Im off to bed now so no more replies from me ;-)

Ah, the forum equivalent of a **** you, followed by /ignore. Trololo, indeed.

Edited by AJediKnight

I do agree there should be an option to change it . I do however love the system the way it is . In other mmo's no one knew who I was on alts unless I told them . If your good at pvp , everyone knows who you are when your pvping on an alt . If your good at tanking , healing , crafting , heck even dps .

It would be cool to own someone in pvp for a year or two then see them on your side when they rolled an alt on each faction .

I knew how the system worked coming in so I chose wisely .

I knew how the system worked coming in so I chose wisely .

This is the key thing for a LOT of people who are totally fresh to this mmo or who havent read up on it advance (I'd say the majority of people playing actually!).

The choice when given isnt described well enough to give indication that it is non changeable!

Anyway, its hardly the end of the world, I just wont use it....

The funny thing about logic, is that the concept only works if your own mind can appreciate it. Clearly, the fact that the 'hide legacy' button destroys their 'identification' argument is way, way over the heads of a lot of people.

No, it does not, no more than the fact that my ID card is not printed on my forehead destroys the idea of ID cards.

I can choose to avoid grouping with people who will not show their legacy name, or i can use my legacy name as ID so others can recognice me, the later is, imo, the more usefull aspect of the identification side of things.

Yeah, you're right... they should definitely leave this system in the game. :rolleyes: I mean, hey, all the hardcore players are pissed about no companion death, so let's punch everyone who gives a damn about surnames right in the jaw because you're still stewing about a decision that was made over a year ago. Right? Right? That's, you know, totally logical.

Names don't affect anyone but their owner, not withstanding situations where they are offensive. My desire or ability to change my name once or a thousand times should be nobody's business but my own.

I'll also add: you have absolutely no right to know who my alts are. The minute legacy names are forced to be displayed is the minute I and thousands of other players quit the game.

Just so you know that the reason companion deaths were removed was because players would gimp themselves crafting/soloing-wise.

Surnames shared across all your characters doesn't not gimp you gameplay-wise

Also personally, i love that my characters can all share the same name/legacy. I have put alot of thought into what it should be

No, it does not, no more than the fact that my ID card is not printed on my forehead destroys the idea of ID cards.

I can choose to avoid grouping with people who will not show their legacy name, or i can use my legacy name as ID so others can recognice me, the later is, imo, the more usefull aspect of the identification side of things.

I'm sorry, but that analogy doesn't work. You have no right, in TOR, to demand my ID, nor do you have any expectations of me displaying it. And thus, my right to change my name is no business of your own whatsoever.

Edited by AJediKnight

Surnames are the only actual 'Hardcore' part of this game, except maybe light side dark side points.

I agree with the OP. Charge us 10,000 Credits to change it please.

Anyway, I'm not level 30 or finished chapter 1 yet so this doesn't yet apply to me, but I have been thinking about which legacy name I will choose for over a week now.

All the good names are taken, and keep being taken so I have to be really creative. I've seen a lot of annoying legacy names from Leet speak, to Curse words, to Cheeseburger.

Those players should be forced by a GM to pay the 10k fee or suffer in SPACE PRISON!!!

Hey is there a space prison? that's not a bad idea.. speaking of good ideas please add space-ship pvp, thanks.

10,000 credits? Hell a speeder costs 48k creds at that point. You might as well give them for free if yer charging a measly 10k creds.

Would you pay 20 real dollars to change it is the question.