Stock Night on The Harbinger, October 10th

Drakkolich

I haven't seen teams being formed, but I presume this is not a solo-only affair. Is that right?

Nope I wouldn't want to impose that many restrictions on one single event. I like to keep my stuff simple. It's like any other normal night of GSF except everyone has stock loadouts with no upgrades.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, i was thinking the same thing. Plenty of good games. here's the 1000-991 game.

Bah, upgrades. Who needs 'em.

If you post the screenie for that one ridiculously lopsided win of ours, it will be obvious that upgrades were needed. :eek:

But yes, it was a fun night with good matches.

So it was some great fights. With a lot of stock ships showing up at one point. Seemed the basic theme was the challenge of not getting hit by anything above a sensor beacon, as anything else proved dangerous. However best part was watching the stream. Thanks Draco and Mika for streaming.

Other things of note;

1. Mikaboshi is hilarious on Gin

2. Stock scouts vs Sat defense drones is just crazy talk

3. Charge plating vs stock rapid fires, it's like running with scissors. You think Its all fun at first, then you poke out an eye.

4. Seismic/concussion mines can clear a whole node of stock ships (see #3)

5. Drako did a great job of defending Bear (ask Mika)

Thanks for the fun evening

Mikaboshi is hilarious on Gin

THIS, so much this.

If anyone didn't catch the stream of stock night you should do yourself a favor and go watch it, if nothing but for Mika. He had me in stitches most of the night, at one point I was crying.

Seemed like a lot of people had a good time, these are always interesting events because there is always that one charged plating mastered bomber that has 5 stock people trying to kill him and it's hilarious.

Well... after 2 good matches, second 2 have me decided to go bed

- most ships Impside were non-stock

- 400+ latency. Harbinger...

- it was 4 am.

- gunships and bombers. Even stock ones are a pain in domination matches

Still, first 2 were great :)

PS. I'll repeat my suggestion - why don't do a stock night on EC server, with low/moderate GSF population?

This screenshot showcases how much of a difference skill makes, regardless of upgrades

That being said, anything with armor is basically invulnerable against stock ships

No, it shows how much of an advantage voice chat gives to premade groups.

I thought it was a terrific event and nearly every match went down to the wire.

Still, voice chat doesn't explain how there's only 1 death at the stock side. Voice chat doesn't make ships more durable.

(Edit: I haven't been there, I don't know if voice chat was used.)

Without knowing what the other team's hangars and upgrades looked like, it's just another example that skill (and coordination, if voice chat was used) make the difference in GSF.

Edited by Danalon

I thought it was a terrific event and nearly every match went down to the wire.

Max (Chicken-stock) and I (Beekay-stock) were in a 2-man group, and we were not using voice, in fact I have NEVER used voice in GSF. I don't know about the others as far as groups & voice, but as mentioned, voice changes nothing about your stats. iirc there was a little text chat in the beginning along the lines of "focus A/B someone harass C" sort of thing. After that it was simply a matter of we all knew what to do, and when a sat came under fire, we reinforced quickly - which was easy since our all-stock team was mostly scouts I believe.

Max (Chicken-stock) and I (Beekay-stock) were in a 2-man group, and we were not using voice, in fact I have NEVER used voice in GSF. I don't know about the others as far as groups & voice, but as mentioned, voice changes nothing about your stats. iirc there was a little text chat in the beginning along the lines of "focus A/B someone harass C" sort of thing. After that it was simply a matter of we all knew what to do, and when a sat came under fire, we reinforced quickly - which was easy since our all-stock team was mostly scouts I believe.

Right. Actually I do suspect a few folks were in voice...but I was thinking about this: in a game like that - what is there to discuss? Those in voice were more likely to be talking about what they had for dinner than the match itself. I mean, Hal, how do you imagine that conversation going:

OMG there's a scout halfway to C, INTERCEPT INTERCEPT INTERCEPT

Roger that, threat neutralized, OMG THERE'S A STRIKE MEANDERING IN THE GENERAL DIRECTION OF A

When vets face brandy-new pilots, which is what happened here, coordination is moot. Everybody on one side knows exactly what to do, and everybody other side has no idea. I guess it's possible that without all that high-level voice-enabled strategery, the match might've ended 1000-10 instead of 1000-1.

You and I don't need voice. I'm always in your head.

o.O

:eek: GET. OUT.

Right. Actually I do suspect a few folks were in voice...but I was thinking about this: in a game like that - what is there to discuss? Those in voice were more likely to be talking about what they had for dinner than the match itself.

I play on voice once in a while. In games like that I still try to call stuff out just because calling things out is something I've tried to condition myself to do. But then there's also stuff like:

"Oh, I have an RFL scout. Don't kill it! I want to keep him!"

or

"No, don't kill that, I wanna go tell him what he's doing wrong in /say!"

Yes, you can use /say in GSF. And yes, I have tried to tell people how to play by closing in under 4k and trying to tell them what they're doing wrong. Usually they just shoot at me. But sometimes it seems to work!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

I was "W'ood-stock"

Seems like I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy stock night. I was in a group with 2-3 other stock pilots the entire duration of the event, but all night I had only one or two games where we faced other stock pilots. True, those were fun...

But the rest of the night was just getting farmed by imps flying mastered ships. I realize that the true aces among us can still kick serious space *** even flying stock vs mastered, but I'll probably never reach that level of expertise. I'm probably somewhere in the top quarter of the middle of the pack, maybe. And I got beaten on like a bongo all night.

It didn't help that I decided to fly a stock Pike, which I'm really not that experienced with anyway. So that was my bad I guess.

But I'm really surprised everyone else had such a good time. Is it that stock night are really an event meant for the more elite pilots? Did I just have **** luck? Maybe stock night would work better on one of the ghost town servers? Harb is so populous that the probability of facing other stock fliers was too low.

Wow.

I was "W'ood-stock"

Seems like I'm the only one who didn't really enjoy stock night. I was in a group with 2-3 other stock pilots the entire duration of the event, but all night I had only one or two games where we faced other stock pilots. True, those were fun...

But the rest of the night was just getting farmed by imps flying mastered ships. I realize that the true aces among us can still kick serious space *** even flying stock vs mastered, but I'll probably never reach that level of expertise. I'm probably somewhere in the top quarter of the middle of the pack, maybe. And I got beaten on like a bongo all night.

It didn't help that I decided to fly a stock Pike, which I'm really not that experienced with anyway. So that was my bad I guess.

But I'm really surprised everyone else had such a good time. Is it that stock night are really an event meant for the more elite pilots? Did I just have **** luck? Maybe stock night would work better on one of the ghost town servers? Harb is so populous that the probability of facing other stock fliers was too low.

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time of it, I actually really enjoy the challenge of fighting the mastered ships with a Stock one as well as Stock teammates. Watching the video of 5 of us coordinating to try to kill one Charged plating bomber in the tiny windows we actually could hurt him was hilarious.

Stock night isn't necessarily for elite pilots but man doesn't it attract a lot of them. It does sound like you had bad luck if what you were looking to do was fly vs other Stock pilots though, there had to be like 30 people flying stock ships that night.

Just to make sure you did play on October 17th and not the 10th right? I had to reschedule the date and made the change in the first post but couldn't change the title. (I'm figuring you did play on the 17th but just checking in case that's why you kept flying vs mastered ships)