Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

How about loosing up the restrictions on dual wielding classes?

TonyTricicolo

Using Mercenary as an example, I noticed that many of the abilities like power shot, priming shot, blazing bolts, serrated shot, and mag shot require two blasters. Why? Shouldn't dual wield be optional and not a requirement? It would make classes like such far more enjoyable. Edited by TonyTricicolo

I hear you, but it is the same way with the commando. But instead of requiring dual wield, the abilities require you to use a hand cannon. It is actually something that people who play commando have complained about in the class forums for a while now. People want to play the commando class with a rifle and not have to tote the generally ugly cannons that the class is specifically designed to use.

Will this change anytime soon, probably not.

in regards to doing less damage, how about equipping a power generator in place of a second pistol? Unload doesn't have the restriction. I have a feeling the animations were designed with the secondary weapon in mind forcing the restriction. Classes that have a secondary/class specific weapon should still be able to use their base weapon to execute their advanced abilities.

Obviously dual wielding means "is dual wielding", not "may dual wield". It specifically is not optional, at least for full dps. You had the choice with a description of abilities, including those requiring two weapons, when you chose your AC. If you thought one weapon looks better, you should have chosen the class using only one weapon. You do have the choice, but only once. In addition to the animation changes the damage would have to be re-calculated (and re-balanced) for non-weapon offhand, too, and I just don't see that happening when there already is a class using only one weapon with specific abilities taking that into account. Edited by KyaniteD

Able to dual wield and must dual wield are two different things. The perk of picking the class is the option of dual weilding. Likewise for Commando, Sniper, Maurader, and any other discipline that forces you to use a specific weapon in order to execute an ability.

Here's an amusing anecdote:

My first sniper used a bowcaster until 55. I wasn't locked out of any of my abilities, never got a "You have the wrong weapon equipped for this skill" message, nothing. When I did finally swap out to an actual sniper rifle, my damage didn't escalate through the roof either.

The irony, for me, is that I've just been reading a thread where they claim the game is being dumbed down, and then I come here, and see a thread that's asking to essentially dumb it down because someone made a choice that they're not happy with.

Simply put, what that restriction is really imposing is the requirement of having an off hand item. Every class has a specific off-hand item they use. For the merc, it just happens to be a second blaster pistol. To remove the requirement would make the merc off-hand optional which would cause all the other classes to whine about the mercs being "OP" because they get to use all their abilities regardless of if they have an off-hand item or not. This would of course escalate until the villagers stormed Bioware with torches and pitchforks, eventually requiring the governor to call in the National Guard, and who needs all that?

Here's an amusing anecdote:

My first sniper used a bowcaster until 55. I wasn't locked out of any of my abilities

It also could have been a sniper bowcaster.

never got a "You have the wrong weapon equipped for this skill" message, nothing. When I did finally swap out to an actual sniper rifle, my damage didn't escalate through the roof either.

Damage ratings for all weapons is the same. Look at any moddable weapon without mods in it. +51 Force or tech power. If Sniper has skills that do not require a sniper rifle to use, that is not analogous tp Gunslinger, because there are at least 2 skills (Sharpshooter discipline) that say they require 2 blasters (Flourish Shot and Penetrating Rounds) and another that says it fires 2 blasters if dual wielding, but becomes unavailable to a Gunslinger if only 1 is equipped (Aimed Shot). It probably depends on the discipline whether or not a Sniper gets skills requiring a Sniper rifle, since one of the disciplines is available to Operatives.

It also could have been a sniper bowcaster.

I hope not, it's the one from the CM, and I never really looked. Spent a lot of credits moving mods over to the Sniper Rifle, would suck to find out I could have saved 'em. Especially since I only swapped out for "cosmetic" reasons.

Damage ratings for all weapons is the same. Look at any moddable weapon without mods in it. +51 Force or tech power. If Sniper has skills that do not require a sniper rifle to use, that is not analogous tp Gunslinger, because there are at least 2 skills (Sharpshooter discipline) that say they require 2 blasters (Flourish Shot and Penetrating Rounds) and another that says it fires 2 blasters if dual wielding, but becomes unavailable to a Gunslinger if only 1 is equipped (Aimed Shot). It probably depends on the discipline whether or not a Sniper gets skills requiring a Sniper rifle, since one of the disciplines is available to Operatives.

...and all of that is explained when you examine the discipline. So if you're not wanting to use two blasters, you can see that that isn't the way to go. So it comes back to "I made a choice, I'm unhappy with the choice because I either didn't research it well enough, or just don't want to be "limited" by what I decided to do".

I clearly never specified I am playing the class. In fact, because of its inability to choose to dual wield or not is the main reason why I don't play Mercenary( or any other class with limiting weapon to skill restrictions for that matter). I can read and write quite well thank you very much. The thread was the option of choice, which became clear from several responses, why it's not feasible at the moment. Edited by TonyTricicolo

I clearly never specified I am playing the class. In fact, because of its inability to choose to dual wield or not is the main reason why I don't play Mercenary( or any other class with limiting weapon to skill restrictions for that matter). I can read and write quite well thank you very much. The thread was the option of choice, which became clear from several responses, why it's not feasible at the moment.

Since all classes have restrictions, you don't play at all?

Warrior classes all require Lightsabers/electroblades.

Inq/Consular requires double bladed or electrostaff or single saber/electroblade.

I can go on, but really, what's the point? All of the classes have required weapons for the archetype, unless you'd care to link some video of Jedi Knights using blaster rifles? I wonder, how does Master's Strike work with a pistol? You claim one thing, but since the whole game is based on archetypes having specific weapon restrictions, it sort of falls flat. There is a BH spec that uses a single blaster. There is a Scoundrel that uses a single blaster. These choices exist already, there's no need to rebuild the game from the ground up because you want to play something that wasn't designed. I want to play an Imperial Trooper, and use the big *** cannon, but I'm SoL.

Why reply only to start a fight? You can't respond with civility like several others?

I responded to what you wrote, not really trying to start a fight. I merely pointed out the flaw in your logic of "I don't play classes that are weapon restricted" when all classes are weapon restricted. I can't help it if you feel bad for missing that point when you went on your rant about how well you can read and write. I noticed a flaw in your logic, and pointed it out.

I hope not, it's the one from the CM, and I never really looked. Spent a lot of credits moving mods over to the Sniper Rifle, would suck to find out I could have saved 'em. Especially since I only swapped out for "cosmetic" reasons.

...and all of that is explained when you examine the discipline. So if you're not wanting to use two blasters, you can see that that isn't the way to go. So it comes back to "I made a choice, I'm unhappy with the choice because I either didn't research it well enough, or just don't want to be "limited" by what I decided to do".

I use the bowcaster on my sniper and it is identified as a sniper rifle weapon, and I have one on my operative that is designated as a blaster rifle. (both are the legacy bowcasters that were each identified as sniper rifle and blaster rifle in the details.)

Damage ratings for all weapons is the same. Look at any moddable weapon without mods in it. +51 Force or tech power.

They all have the same Force or Tech power, but they don't have the same damage. Assault cannons and sniper rifles have higher damage than blaster rifles and blaster pistols, and double-bladed sabers have more damage than regular sabers.

With all the main stats becoming mastery in 4.0, Now is the best time to lift the weapon restrictions.

My Commando would like to use pistols...

My jugg would like to use a double-bladed saber

My BH would like to use a rifle.

Main stat has nothing to do with why those restrictions exist. The biggest reasons are likely animations, and because mirror classes have to do the same damage. An assault cannon has to do the same damage as two blaster pistols.

Edited by MillionsKNives

I use the bowcaster on my sniper and it is identified as a sniper rifle weapon, and I have one on my operative that is designated as a blaster rifle. (both are the legacy bowcasters that were each identified as sniper rifle and blaster rifle in the details.)

NOOOOOOOoooooooo. Ah well, credits under the bridge... /cryoverspilledmilk

With all the main stats becoming mastery in 4.0, Now is the best time to lift the weapon restrictions.

While you're at it, go ahead and make all armor adaptive and just do away with gear/class restrictions at all. Of course, once you do, may as well throw that whole "Need vs Greed" thing out the window since everyone needs all the same gear.

Bad idea, but then again, so is making all classes rely on the same stat.

Edited by DJZod

The fun thing is that there is no ranged spec that uses a blaster rifle. One can't hit anything further away than 10m, the other uses his rifle as a cattle prod, and the third gave up completely and rather uses a knife. And those people had special forces training... :rolleyes:

Same for pistols, single ones are used as cudgel and short range weapons. Of course the pistoleros are true gangstas, so when dual wielding, the rule of cool grants them extra precision.

Lightsabers are fine, imo. the mara's combat moves are based on his ability to dual wield, if he lost one saber he would change his style and fight like a jugger.

Edited by Mubrak

Yesterday, i used my smug helaer with trooper disguise. A guy near me flamed with rage until i show my main costume.... I was able to convince im that im not a hacker...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.