Game Update 4.0 New Feature: Keybinding Importing and Exporting

CoryKolek

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still curious as to why people are so excited for this. Is everyone planning on rolling so many alts in the future that the 2-5 minutes of setting keybinds after creation is a big time save? Without abilities being preserved as well to be used with respec, this really seems like a completely inconsequential change. Am I missing something? :confused:

*does a happy dance*

This will save a lot of time. Between movement keybinds that I change, and quickbar keybinds across multiple bars, this will be such a welcome change. I eat up 10-15 minutes every time that I set up my new characters (UI arrangement, keybinds etc.) so knocking out the keybinds will help BIG time! It doesn't sound like a lot but when you are really just doing the same things over and over for each, it's quite annoying

I'm still curious as to why people are so excited for this. Is everyone planning on rolling so many alts in the future that the 2-5 minutes of setting keybinds after creation is a big time save? Without abilities being preserved as well to be used with respec, this really seems like a completely inconsequential change. Am I missing something? :confused:

You must be a speed demon, it takes me at least 15 minutes to set up my keybinds between sorting out all of my keybinds on my keyboard and on my mouse, which would be around 40 keybinds. Most of my keybinds are different across each character because I can't exactly remember each. So with the click of a button making it unified across all of them, I still find it a pretty worthwhile change.

Edited by Nickious

This is not worthy of a post by the dev team. Please stop with these posts and actually give us real changes that are significant not something that should have been at launch and you so proudly proclaim as a major improvement worthy of a post on your forums.

Yeah I am being bitter but after all these years you think posting this is worthy. please.

How about post a full feature and comprehensive post of all the so called improvements now. not when oct 20th comes. sorry I just do not care to say thank you as I pay monthly for your game, and if I pay, you should never post something that is looking of thanks.

Edited by BrotherJohn

You must be a speed demon, it takes me at least 15 minutes to set up my keybinds between sorting out all of my keybinds on my keyboard and on my mouse, which would be around 40 keybinds. Most of my keybinds are different across each character because I can't exactly remember each. So with the click of a button making it unified across all of them, I still find it a pretty worthwhile change.

Do you really have that signature? LMFAO

This is not worthy of a post by the dev team. Please stop with these posts and actually give us real changes that are significant not something that should have been at launch and you so proudly proclaim as a major improvement worthy of a post on your forums.

Yeah I am being bitter but after all these years you think posting this is worthy. please.

How about post a full feature and comprehensive post of all the so called improvements now. not when oct 20th comes. sorry I just do not care to say thank you as I pay monthly for your game, and if I pay, you should never post something that is looking of thanks.

As a person another person who pays, which doesn't entitle me to much, I prefer they did post something then nothing at all. And attitudes like these aren't going to help, so kindly shut it.

The person who would benefit the most from this is the person rolling the most alts. And those people already know how to setup what they want quickly. And most people don't really have the intention of rolling too many more alts as those interested in doing so already have what they want considering the game is 4 years old and 12x Xp went on for 6 months. This type of change still largely seems to benefit players who change their keybindings frequently, which would mean people who respec and their abilities will not move so this change does not benefit them.

The person who would benefit the most from this is the person rolling the most alts. And those people already know how to setup what they want quickly. And most people don't really have the intention of rolling too many more alts as those interested in doing so already have what they want considering the game is 4 years old and 12x Xp went on for 6 months. This type of change still largely seems to benefit players who change their keybindings frequently, which would mean people who respec and their abilities will not move so this change does not benefit them.

Yes, the game's been out for four years. Yes, 12x exp went on for six months. But hey, guess what? Not everyone's been a player from Day One. I kicked around for a month or two shortly before RotHC, quit, and only started playing again about four months ago (my second two-month sub is about to expire). In that time, I've only built up four Lv60 characters, and got two others started on impside and four works-in-progress on pubside. Ten toons isn't enough to cover all the ACs, so yeah, I've got a few more alts in my future.

I, for one, greatly appreciate keybind imports. As can be seen by the less salty contributors to this thread, I'm not alone. Yes, there are other things BW can be working on. I bet they've got more than one developer, and the guy making this UI change wouldn't otherwise be working on graphics or the engine or whatever anyway. Capes and long coats annoy the hell out of me, but I bet that's not UI Guy's problem, either.

Still, this long-overdue feature is not a detriment to the game, but is an improvement. Why hate on BW for making even minor improvements?

Edited by masterceil

One feature I pretty consistently see requested is the ability to copy your keybindings from one character to another, so I'm happy to say with the release of 4.0 you'll be able to do just that.

When 4.0 launches you'll notice a new tab in the preference window labeled "Keybinding Import/Export" from there you'll be able to save out your current keybindings to a file which you can then load on another character. When you save the keybinding they'll show up in a list which you can then select to preview and load those saved bindings. The list of keybindings you can import is shared across all your characters and saved locally on your computer. The keybindings are saved out to an XML format much like the UI Profiles are, so you'll be able to share them with friends and such.

Wonderful. I wish I had this before I leveled 22 characters on a server to 60. It should come in handy for the additional level 60 start characters, however. I really appreciate it!

I do this currently by going into the settings folder and copying the settings from one character's file and pasting them into the other.

OMG, knowing this would have saved me endless amounts of trouble between switching to an SSD and having to replace my motherboard, both of which required a complete reload of the game. Rebuilding keybinds, hotkeys, and UI layouts for 13 toons.......<sigh>

Oh well, better to know late than not at all.

And because of the above, I don't foresee having to ever import/export any keybinds, but one never knows. So thanks for that Guys and Gals.

Yes, the game's been out for four years. Yes, 12x exp went on for six months. But hey, guess what? Not everyone's been a player from Day One. I kicked around for a month or two shortly before RotHC, quit, and only started playing again about four months ago (my second two-month sub is about to expire). In that time, I've only built up four Lv60 characters, and got two others started on impside and four works-in-progress on pubside. Ten toons isn't enough to cover all the ACs, so yeah, I've got a few more alts in my future.

I, for one, greatly appreciate keybind imports. As can be seen by the less salty contributors to this thread, I'm not alone. Yes, there are other things BW can be working on. I bet they've got more than one developer, and the guy making this UI change wouldn't otherwise be working on graphics or the engine or whatever anyway. Capes and long coats annoy the hell out of me, but I bet that's not UI Guy's problem, either.

Still, this long-overdue feature is not a detriment to the game, but is an improvement. Why hate on BW for making even minor improvements?

Why? Because, as usual, this fix is only half done.

OMG, knowing this would have saved me endless amounts of trouble between switching to an SSD and having to replace my motherboard, both of which required a complete reload of the game. Rebuilding keybinds, hotkeys, and UI layouts for 13 toons.......<sigh>

Oh well, better to know late than not at all.

And because of the above, I don't foresee having to ever import/export any keybinds, but one never knows. So thanks for that Guys and Gals.

Keybinds are stored server-side... Only the UI and some preferences and chat data are stored client side. So switching you hard drive shouldn't have changed your keybinds.

one feature i pretty consistently see requested is the ability to copy your keybindings from one character to another, so i'm happy to say with the release of 4.0 you'll be able to do just that.

Omg finally thank you!

Edited by Kiesu

One feature I pretty consistently see requested is the ability to copy your keybindings from one character to another, so I'm happy to say with the release of 4.0 you'll be able to do just that.

When 4.0 launches you'll notice a new tab in the preference window labeled "Keybinding Import/Export" from there you'll be able to save out your current keybindings to a file which you can then load on another character. When you save the keybinding they'll show up in a list which you can then select to preview and load those saved bindings. The list of keybindings you can import is shared across all your characters and saved locally on your computer. The keybindings are saved out to an XML format much like the UI Profiles are, so you'll be able to share them with friends and such.

Booyah! For QOL!

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any way I could use this new feature to "save my quickbars" for respecing? Is it a simple case of saving skills to the keybinds I have them in for that spec and creating a "profile" for that spec that can be used for all toons of that class? Also, will this method still work if I use the "Shift+" method for switching quickbars and don't have them all laid out with each skill bound to different keys? I'm more than a little confused and would very much appreciate a more detailed explanation of this new function with regards to its possible use as a "quickbar profiles list" Edited by MayhemofChaonus