Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please make level scaling optional in KotFE

wepeel

Is any of this confirmed?? Or are you making this up?

my post from earlier with the orginal blog and the cut/pasted information.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/operations-and-flashpoints-fallen-empire

what was actually said.

Also, those Solo Modes are repeatable, so you can play through them again if you want! These Solo Mode Flashpoints use a new level sync system that lowers your character’s level and power to the level of the Flashpoint, ensuring that you’re experiencing the content at the difficulty level intended - you never have to skip story content because you’re over-leveled for it!

Next, most of our Story Mode Flashpoints have been converted to Tactical, meaning you can play them at any level between 10 and 65! These Flashpoints also bolster your character, so you never have to worry about being under-geared or under-leveled, and can play with friends of varying levels

so as i understand it.

solo modes repeatable and at level

story mode converted to tactical and available between 10 and 65 with buff/bolster

hard mode remains at level.

is the way i read what is happening. you can make an argument for storymode being "level 65" and bolster undergeared I would just find that odd is all. but concede it is possible.

Edited by DOHboy

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you did every single thing in the game.

Funny to see people lobbying for the ability to "roflstomp,"

Every FP and every planet heroic (on both sides plus LS/DS versions for the achievement) and every OPS.

So given the context we are talking about, I know I did. At max level, It's well past time If I return at all, I'm quite fine to stomp the hell out of it. Even if someone asks me to rush them through it. Sometimes it's nice to role play having friends in high places help you out.

I don't really need to be de-leveled just because I go back to a start world. Not a bad option to have but not always needed.

Edited by Quraswren

Of course you did every single thing in the game.

I never made that claim, but I can tell you that I doubt I've missed much Pub side.

Why is that funny? I play the game to have fun and relax. Some nights that means banging my head against a wall for hours on end in PvP or an Ops (usually both)...other nights I just want to run off and see the worlds and relax. I don't want every planet that I've previously liberated to be ripe with danger...I actually enjoy being able to ignore mobs and go to where I want at times...it's like taking a drive, but virtually.

Why is that funny? I play the game to have fun and relax. Some nights that means banging my head against a wall for hours on end in PvP or an Ops (usually both)...other nights I just want to run off and see the worlds and relax. I don't want every planet that I've previously liberated to be ripe with danger...I actually enjoy being able to ignore mobs and go to where I want at times...it's like taking a drive, but virtually.

I'm sure you will be able to find plenty of "faceroll" content when you are in the mood for it. This thread is just another example of people setting their hair in fire before they even know for sure what is happening.

I'm sure you will be able to find plenty of "faceroll" content when you are in the mood for it. This thread is just another example of people setting their hair in fire before they even know for sure what is happening.

It's the forums. You talk about what you hear. This one is important enough BW should have already been talking more about it instead of leaving it to speculation.

It's not like it would contain some story spoiler they are trying to avoid.

Edited by Quraswren

Yet when they DO ask what is coming, you're the first person to tell them to quit if they don't like no knowing lol. Amazing how that works.

Well, sh&t. I was looking forward to solo Alchemy of Evil [HEROIC 4] on 65. Oh, well... I just hope they'll forget to scale it.

And I reallyreally hope they will not lock any companion recruitment missions/influence gring behind group content wall. Like you know, for example, kill world boss to recruit Qyzen Fess <---- pure speculation of course!!!!

Edited by AnnyJuly

Well, sh&t. I was looking forward to solo Alchemy of Evil [HEROIC 4] on 65. Oh, well... I just hope they'll forget to scale it.

And I reallyreally hope they will not lock any companion reqruitment missions/influence gring behind group content wall. Like you know, for example, kill world boss to reqruit Qyzen Fess <---- pure speculation of course!!!!

Uh...I really hope that's not how it's going to work either...

http://www.swtor.com/blog/operations-and-flashpoints-fallen-empire

what was actually said.

The SOLO modes will give you at an level buff. otherwise the storymode will be available at any level with a buff to under leveled toons.

They are not referring to Flashpoints. without going into breaking ToS territory, the word going about is players will now be scaled DOWN to the level of whatever planet they travel to. I.E if you are lvl 65 and go to tatooine you will be scaled down to level 25 (stats and all)

They are not referring to Flashpoints. without going into breaking ToS territory, the word going about is players will now be scaled DOWN to the level of whatever planet they travel to. I.E if you are lvl 65 and go to tatooine you will be scaled down to level 25 (stats and all)

the whole quote

Flashpoints

For Flashpoints, we have made quite a few changes to give you more options on what to play, and how to play them. For starters, all of the Flashpoints which are important to the core story have had a Solo Mode added, similar to what we did for the Forged Alliances Flashpoints. Also, those Solo Modes are repeatable, so you can play through them again if you want! These Solo Mode Flashpoints use a new level sync system that lowers your character’s level and power to the level of the Flashpoint, ensuring that you’re experiencing the content at the difficulty level intended - you never have to skip story content because you’re over-leveled for it!

Next, most of our Story Mode Flashpoints have been converted to Tactical, meaning you can play them at any level between 10 and 65! These Flashpoints also bolster your character, so you never have to worry about being under-geared or under-leveled, and can play with friends of varying levels. As an added bonus, each player can also receive loot specific to their Class and their non-bolstered level, so running these Flashpoints is always beneficial.

You're missing a part of the point, it's not only about being able to stomp*, but also about challenge: solo challenge. Taking on 4-man heroics and flashpoints by yourself, before you outlevel them more than a handful of levels, provides all sorts of great gameplay that you don't need to find a cooperative group in order to enjoy. If you can, name any other parts of the game that allows for the following:

- Can be done solo.

- Requires you to properly gear your character and your companion.

- Often requires you to get familiar with attacks/abilities of your opponent, as well as plan/time usage of your own abilities.

- Often requires you to use everything you have in your arsenal in order to prevail. Stims, adrenals, medpacks, legacy abilities, direct control of companion abilities, etc.

Currently, all game content that I can think of that presents this kind of challenge is designed for more than one player, which I always found odd. Taking it on solo may not have been intended, but it's certanly been possible, and it's certainly been a lot of fun.

* = though I do feel level scaling takes away from immersion, as mentioned. If the Korriban wastes are as difficult to survive at level 60 as at level 5, it just serves to negate any feeling of character growth.

Not sure how I feel about this. I like it in theory but I agree with others that there should be a toggle there. Make the untoggled version not give great rewards while the toggled version gives much better rewards due to being on-level.

I concur. Scaling should always be just an option, with the option to play the "traditional" unscaled mode as well. However, I would say leave the vanilla mode rewards as they are now, and offer better rewards for playing the scaled versions.

I concur. Scaling should always be just an option, with the option to play the "traditional" unscaled mode as well. However, I would say leave the vanilla mode rewards as they are now, and offer better rewards for playing the scaled versions.

I completely agree.

where is this whole world level scaling thing coming from? From what I heard it was just flashpoints and ops. (altough seeing it in PVP wouldn't be bad either.)

pvp already level scales.

and I'm not sure where world scaling comes from either - people confusing it with GW2

flashpoints however - ARE scaling. basicaly from their statements, they are taking existing flashpoints/ops and amking them work the way KDY and instanced event bosses work right now.

aka no matter what your actual level is - both flashpoints AND you will scale to current max level in game (which with KOTFE will be 65) what that means is that.. unlike right now, where I can take my lvl 60 into a lvl 50 hardmode flashpoint (and/or op) and rolfstomp it for outfits, decorations, materials, etc? i will not longer be able to do that come KOTFE. I will NOT be able to go back and solo current lvl 60 hardmodes either. becasue everything will be scaling to 65. and this part being mandatory - bothers me. I understand why they are doing it - its to make all content relevant and to give people wider range of people to play with (like right now, you can only run Athiss storymore between what is it lvl 19 and 25 and at lvl 25, most of the mobs are gray, which makes it annoying - with scaling, everything will be relevant for every level) I would just rather this was restricted to groupfinder queue, keeping manual entry to the way it works currently.

The only reason for me to ever go back to do those old Flashpoints were for the Achievements and the Decoration drops. I always looked forward to getting 5 more levels to actually solo those flashpoints. So now levels mean nothing and SOLO mode might not be dropping the decorations, which we can get in Hard mode solo right now.

Now if the new Solo mode still drops the same decorations and has the Bonus Boss's that hard mode has, then fine, i can live with that, even if the drop rate is lower. Otherwise, why even bother going back if its just doing the story only, that isnt an incentive to repeat them at all.

And if they are doing this to Hero 4s as well, then i give up. I been trying for a year now to get a group to do the seeker and macro-binocular Hero 4s to no avail. I was really looking forward to getting to level 65 and soloing those Hero 4s once and for all! But if they scale the level, then im back to where i am now, SOL.

Whats even the point of leveling up, if its basically meaningless. I hate, hate being at the mercy of begging for a group outside of the groupfinder and even with the groupfinder, im just so sick and tired of it, its such a waste of time and effort. Its the main reason why people just want to solo, if groups were easy to come by for everything, then all would be fine and dandy, and soloing wouldnt be as important to most folks.

I'd support that design.

GF scaled stuff should get some better rewards. Leave the "traditional way" and rewards alone if someone wants to do that.

pvp already level scales.

not exactly. It bolsters you, it doesnt for example give you discipline points, abilities, passives, etc.

someone leaked pics from the pts

word on the street is some of those are photoshopped.

Edited by Faardor

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.