no community=dead game in a few months

Vialator

LFG kills online communities. Look no further than the QQ-Infested KIng of MMO's, WoW, for proof of my argument.

Your argument is flawed. WoW is not socially dead. People play it every day with their friends. They play it happily and regularly.

LFG tools don't kill online communities. They automate the tedious process of spamming for a group. Indeed, they simplify the game for those that want to play without socializing. Or just want a quick pick up group without having to coordinate a handful of friends.

LFG lets players play the game their way. Which is a great thing that any service company ought to strive to accomplish. Give the players the tools they need to play the game the way they want.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

World is what you make it and all that.

I agree that LFG tools hinder community development although I have to admit that some sort of Guild search tool would be nice, even just to search guilds on my server - I'm more than happy to chat with people in-game but the lack of a guild-searching function is a bit annoying to me.

This.

LFG may divide opinions, but nobody can argue against better Guild tools. It's a bit useless if you're trying to recruit from a pool of thousands of players, in a zone instance containing...40.

This isn't a new problem to MMOs, but surely that's all the more reason to nail it on the head.

Edited by Pigeye

I disagree.

LFG tools help the solo player, not the guilded social player.

If you are social and attempt to make friends, the LFG tool is not useful to you.

If you want groups, dont wait until the time you need 1 to start trying to make friends. Build relationships along the way as you play the game. Not too different from life really...

Edited by Woopya

An LFG tool would GREATLY help for Flashpoints, so I'm not sitting around the Imperial Fleet spamming chat. I'd much rather be out questing/gathering while my group is being put together. Once in a group, than we can be social. Keep it Server wide only for the LFG tool and it's all good in the hood.

The game does feel empty, really hoping they phase out the instancing. In a recent interview on Giantbomb, they said just that, that they could control the amount of instancing. Lets hope they get the servers straight in order to do this like other MMO's.

Nothing worse than what's supposed to be an MMO, and yet there's people near a group quest and I can't see them because we're in different instances.

as the topic says- no lfg tool- no server forums- they not encouraging people to communicate and join with each other.

Feeling this is more a single player game with a few multi-player features to use IF you want to- they seem to be encouraging the opposite of team play!

Jumping up and down on your mount in Org and flaming each other on server forums does not a community make.

i wouldnt mind a lfg tool as long as its on the same server no cross server BS and no teleporting to instance that just makes people lazy as hell that what killed WoW for me i always loved traveling to the instance makes me actually explore and there is no need for teleporting to instance sense there all in the same area anyway

LFG kills online communities. Look no further than the QQ-Infested KIng of MMO's, WoW, for proof of my argument.

Move-along-Folks. Notihng to see here.

Are you talking about that other game that is literally "massive" in size? And has a ridiculous amount of Guilds and social aspect to it? There's a TON of socializing in WoW, more than any other MMO in the Western Market.

If you want to be social, join a guild and you don't need to concern yourself with an LFG.

Too all you people that are complaining about TOR losing it's socializing with an LFG tool, you should be complaining about the ridiculous amount of instancing in the game that splits the playerbase in half or more on the same GD server, not to mention the empty feeling in the world. That's far more cause for concern that a tool that helps bring people together.

Are you talking about that other game that is literally "massive" in size? And has a ridiculous amount of Guilds and social aspect to it? There's a TON of socializing in WoW, more than any other MMO in the Western Market.

If you want to be social, join a guild and you don't need to concern yourself with an LFG.

Too all you people that are complaining about TOR losing it's socializing with an LFG tool, you should be complaining about the ridiculous amount of instancing in the game that splits the playerbase in half or more on the same GD server, not to mention the empty feeling in the world. That's far more cause for concern that a tool that helps bring people together.

seriously! the worlds feel empty! I can't say that SUCKS enough!

Why is it we can't have an LFG tool cross server and auto matching and the people who don't want to use it and feel like it messes things up...don't use it?

I understand the point of view, but seriously is either side any better than the other for trying to force thier opinion on everyone else.

If you truly want a solution ask Bioware to put it to a vote of said community. Winner gets to gloat.

does anyone remember how wow was befor the LFG tool? it was BETTER... most people on the servers actually knew each other... i knew just about my entire server befor that came out.. i knew who was a ninja who was a good tank/healer ect ect ect... theres actually more communicating without a LFG tool since it MAKES people talk to find a group... not to mention if they takes the LFG thing from wow and make it cross server thats going to be even LESS communicating since the people arent even on your server and increase the ninja's... just like it did in wow

does anyone remember how wow was befor the LFG tool? it was BETTER... most people on the servers actually knew each other... i knew just about my entire server befor that came out.. i knew who was a ninja who was a good tank/healer ect ect ect... theres actually more communicating without a LFG tool since it MAKES people talk to find a group... not to mention if they takes the LFG thing from wow and make it cross server thats going to be even LESS communicating since the people arent even on your server and increase the ninja's... just like it did in wow

I remeber very well what it was like, endless sitting in cities wasting time spamming for a group not being able to leave because there was no other way to get one.

Then suddenly you were able to queue, and go quest, accomplish things while you were waiting, it was amazing the freedom it gave people, especially dps. I got so many quests done, and explored so much more of the world it was just amazing to me.

LFG wasn't just a convient way for me to find a group it was a great way for Blizzard to encourge me to play the game and experience the content they put in it for me and all the other players out there.

Sorry but I don't log into a game in my liesure time to hold someone's virtual hand and get to know them. I want to get things done, if it's with friends fine, if it is with a random group of people just as well. My time is precious to me and being stuck in one place having to type out a request to find a group in a chat channel or hoping someone notices me in the current tool just doesn't serve my needs. And i'm willing to bet there are other out there just like me. Just as I would think there are those out there with your opinion as well.

Thanks for your time.

Next time you're in game, TALK TO SOMEONE. Next time you're waiting for a boss to spawn, GROUP UP.

The developers shouldn't have to incorporate ways to FORCE players to group up. The players should WANT to group up in the first place.

Cross-server wibbily-wabbily stuff doesn't improve the game. Those people you randomly group up with don't remember you nor will you remember them the second the quest is over with.

It's a massive world out there, go see it, go meet people. It's up to you to decide how to play the game.

Oh so you QQ about a tool that is in game and you dont know how to use it.

here take the binky out of you mouth and let me help you

type /who

click lfg comment

set your comment or form you party from there

keeping this way and server only mean your server rep matter so you spamming /1 gets and complaining in /1 gets you ingored so you never get a party you can only blame your self not Bioware not others

as the topic says- no lfg tool- they not encouraging people to communicate and join with each other.

I'll just quote your signature:"Huh?"

I communicate much with people now that you have to find party inside your own server. Have many of them in friendlist too since it's not just some randoms from different servers.

Feeling this is more a single player game with a few multi-player features to use IF you want to- they seem to be encouraging the opposite of team play!

It's more MMO than WoW where you just sit in your capital and queue up for some instance (PvP/raid/dungeon) and chat in your guild channel.