Really?!!!

every cutscene with a wookiee in it is specifically made to account for the tall wookiee.

when they are a companion it isn't a problem, they are in the background (bowdarr)

but as a player character, it would be a nightmare.

So every scene in the game is made to account for a wookie after all you can take that companion everywhere. But what is the proof that they are too tall for a player character? How do you know the cutscenes will not adjust to the size?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So every scene in the game is made to account for a wookie after all you can take that companion everywhere. But what is the proof that they are too tall for a player character? How do you know the cutscenes will not adjust to the size?

actualy every scene is NOT made to account for a wookie. every scene on a ship of individual characters other than smuggler? is not meant for a wookie height. every scene is definitely NOT made for to account for a wookie as a FOCUS of it. its meant to account for average height of a regular character.

and I'm pretty sure wookies themselves do not go for romantic relationships with non wookies. canonically speaking.

and how do we know cutscenes do not adjust to a size? the fact that they are a mess when you bring Treek with you, a companion that the scenes were not originally designed for.. there is a reason why player character races are roughly the same height. there's very little differential there, few inches at best.

and that doesn't change the fact that. no basic speech. and no armors.

are you just arguing to argue?

Edited by Jeweledleah

So, i have to pay cartel coins to get the new race?

I have to deactivate a place to purchase the new Yavin place, if i have all the others?

It will cost 2.5 mil to even buy it?

You need to remove the limit restrictions on how many places you can have.

You need to make the new race selectable without cartel coins.

You need to reduce the purchase price of the new place.

Thanks for wasting our time, also, wasting your programmers time.

BTW....Yavin is dumbest place for a house. Rishii makes more sense, as it already

has npc cities. Nothing is on Yavin, except Giant stone buildings.

The new race is just a more colorful version of twilek. Why not something more interesting

or iconic, like a Wookie, or a Gormak, or a hundred other different races in star wars.

This path you have chosen leads down a dark path.

As in WRONG.

speak for yourself, I'm very happy with the update, and think they didn't waste my or their time at all. Great additions all around.

I have to deactivate a place to purchase the new Yavin place, if i have all the others?

BTW....Yavin is dumbest place for a house. Rishii makes more sense, as it already

The new race is just a more colorful version of twilek. Why not something more interesting

or iconic, like a Wookie, or a Gormak, or a hundred other different races in star wars.

As in WRONG.

So what I'm hearing is.

"Waah I'm poor I can't afford it so make it free, but that's okay because I wasn't going to buy it because it is stupid."

As in WRONG.

I agree, Togruta should have been part of the shadow of revan expansion just like Cathars should have been part of Makeb.

I could care less about strongholds and despite this being well known for awhile, I agree its dumb.

The price is fine. Its roughly the same size as the Tatooine SH.....which is massive. 2.5m credits isn't even that much in this game.

Erm.....togruta IS an iconic SW species.

Wookies and Gormaks cannot speak basic, so its never going to happen. Also gormaks first appearance was in this game, not sure how that equates to an iconic species.

Personally I want to see Voss be playable, but whatever because regardless of what species BW adds, its not going to be what someone wants. Can't make everyone happy.

Edited by Raansu

It's the first time I agree with Sarfux.

OP you are in the minority. Developers definitely did not waste their time on this update.

Agreed.

It's a shame that there was nothing in this update that you like, OP. Myself, I have been extremely excited ever since they announced togruta were coming. This is one of my favorite Star Wars races and so, to me, it was a welcome addition.

Might I suggest an alternate way of looking at it however? Even though there is nothing in this release that was interesting to you chances are something will come out on the back of this that will be. They have already said that togruta is their test baby for different races with differing requirements for gear and so, all being well, this sort of thing will only herald the addition of more diverse and interesting races. Hopefully one will be to your liking.

I am also certain that as the game progresses we will see more strongholds in lots of different locations, which is only a good thing.

Same with Gormak, they don't meet the requirements.

What requirements? Language? It can be explained lorewise, like one gormak made it to the stars and learned galactic basic.

They have three fingers on hands? Well, our developers can hide gloves slot like they did with headslot on togruta.

It all depends on if they will get the... motivation to do it.

So every scene in the game is made to account for a wookie

No, the only scenes that account for Wookies are those specific ones that for story purposes have to feature them, so for instance the first time you meet Bowdarr or when you're talking to him on your ship. In other cutscenes where he is just standing behind you he's usually standing far enough behind you that it doesn't cause a ton of cropping issues however there are notable instances where it does crop.

How do you know the cutscenes will not adjust to the size?

Because that's not how video games work. Cutscenes are pre-framed, and have to be that way if you're going to tell you cinematic story. They can't/don't adjust on the fly.

Perfect example, Jedi Knight Ending*

https://youtu.be/va2Oj2cVw9U?t=35s

Notice how the male Body Type 3 (the tallest body type in the game) Jedi Knight fits just within the frame but that Lord Scourge (who uses a rescaled Body Type 3 that's specific to him) gets noticeably cropped.

If you swapped out the human Jedi Knight there with a Wookie, it would get cropped the same way Scourge does. Every conversation angle that focuses on your character's face would be pointed at a Wookie's nose and mouth instead of framing their entire face.

*The video is time stamped to a specific part to illustrate my point, so anyone worried about spoilers you don't need to be if you only watch the 5 second example of the cropping I'm talking about.

But what is the proof that they are too tall for a player character?

Everything in the game is/was build and designed around the 8 body types that exist in the game. Cutscenes, Animations, Combat, Armor, Weapons, Mounts, etc, etc. All of these things were designed around the player character(s) and the existing/vanilla body types.

Aside from the cropping problems I explained above, Wookies also use a different mesh and skeleton and because of this there are a large number of things that simply wouldn't work for them as they currently are.

1) Armors. All armor sets would have to be redone to match their mesh/skeleton.

2) Animations. Wookies don't have all the class animations rigged to their skeleton meaning you couldn't simply have a Wookie Sentinel just by swapping out the character models. A number of animation problems would occur.

3) Mounts. Wookies wouldn't be able to use a large amount of mounts/speeders in the game as they are designed around the 8 existing body types and due to the fact that Wookie's are so much bigger their arms and legs wouldn't sit where the current rigged animations are designed to sit. For instance their hands would stick out way past the handle bars on alot of speeders. This means they would need to specifically adjust how Wookies sit mounts on a per mount basis. Basically they'd have to go through and create new animations for every mount type so that Wookies would sit/animate on them properly.

It would be insanely difficult, time consuming, and expensive at this point to make Wookies a playable species. Even if they did make them there's no way they could justify the resources, time and cost to do them, not to mention it would be really difficult to turn a profit on them. They'd have to sell them at such a high price to justify the production time that went into them. Wookies are something they honestly would have needed to have done or prepared for when the game was in development. It's basically too late for them at this point.

The only way you'd see "playable" Wookies at this point is if they did Wookie costume pieces like they did with the Cybernetic series armor sets. Something that makes you look like a Wookie without you actually being a Wookie basically.

It would be insanely difficult, time consuming, and expensive at this point to make Wookies a playable species. Even if they did make them there's no way they could justify the resources, time and cost to do them, not to mention it would be really difficult to turn a profit on them. They'd have to sell them at such a high price to justify the production time that went into them. Wookies are something they honestly would have needed to have done or prepared for when the game was in development. It's basically too late for them at this point.

I can not argue with that but damn it Wookiee are the most iconic race in the Star Wars universe they should have been a priority above all other races. Damn Biowate iconic the most iconic no playable race comes close to their popularity none. Give people what they like and they will give you money in exchange.

the most iconic race in the Star Wars universe

Says you. They're basically just skinny bears.

they should have been a priority above all other races.

Unfortunately, what people are willing to pay for could be and is the priority. When the players got polled about it, the Cathar won. Togruta got close. Now both those species have been added. They didn't make this choice at random.

Damn Biowate iconic the most iconic no playable race comes close to their popularity none.
Do you have any data to support this statement that you could share with us and "Biowate"?

Give people what they like and they will give you money in exchange.

That's what they did, and that's what people do.

Says you. They're basically just skinny bears.

Unfortunately, what people are willing to pay for could be and is the priority. When the players got polled about it, the Cathar won. Togruta got close. Now both those species have been added. They didn't make this choice at random.

Do you have any data to support this statement that you could share with us and "Biowate"?

That's what they did, and that's what people do.

Are not Wookiee the 4-th most requested race even if people know that it can not happen they still voted it to that place. If people knew it could happen it would have been voted first I am sure of it.

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Top_10_list:Most_Wanted_New_Playable_Species

As in WRONG.

Well, Yavin 4 is free to subs who may or may not have to hold off one month for CCs, for which they had plenty of notice to save for.

Same for the race, though I'm sure someone will buy the unlock and sell it on the market.

Are not Wookiee the 4-th most requested race even if people know that it can not happen they still voted it to that place. If people knew it could happen it would have been voted first I am sure of it.

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Top_10_list:Most_Wanted_New_Playable_Species

I really hope that poll isn't what was used as the statistical driver for new race selection. Top 5 races don't even add up to 1000... while the trend for it seems "about right", it's just too few votes to really make decisions off of.

I really hope that poll isn't what was used as the statistical driver for new race selection. Top 5 races don't even add up to 1000... while the trend for it seems "about right", it's just too few votes to really make decisions off of.

where did people voted for what the next race should be? Or they took the feedback from all the posts we want more races we want Togruta that where in higher number then we want Voss. Because that will be worse then the pool I just made.

Realistically, all of that should be free for subscribers, ignoring the monthly 'stipend' bs of credits. But since the majority of 'mmo players' these days should probably be playing farmville, enough of the customer base is willing to tolerate it.

Realistically, all of that should be free for subscribers, ignoring the monthly 'stipend' bs of credits. But since the majority of 'mmo players' these days should probably be playing farmville, enough of the customer base is willing to tolerate it.

you get 600 free CC a month for being a sub (assuming you have a security key app). guess what, they just gave you free access to the new race. Unless you spent it on something else, then in that case = buyers remorse.

you get 600 free CC a month for being a sub (assuming you have a security key app). guess what, they just gave you free access to the new race. Unless you spent it on something else, then in that case = buyers remorse.

Youre missing the point. A subscription to a game used to mean that everything that game has to offer, you have full and immediate access to. Now everyone tries to nickel and dime you with 'cosmetic' crap that they spend the majority of their development time on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.