Uh Oh, the world as we know it may come to an end

asbalana

I'm not sure they know what to do with crew skills. They probably left them for last.

Things we know:

You don't need to gear companions

Crafting not needed for conquest

More use of bolster for group content so average player does not have to min/max his gear

Where does this leave crafting? Seriously gutted most likely.

Add to this possible end game gear drops instead of comms for completing operations ( that's how I read the blog anyway ) plus in op/fp gear drops that are going to be relevant to YOUR character which almost implies it's going to be guaranted as opposed to rolled.

Plus all the talk on streamlining the 0-50 process. Streamlining to me = not needing to gear up every 4-8 levels if at all. Permanent bolster for all 1-50 content like makeb wouldn't surprise me any more.

At least there is still dye modules heh but if everyone moves to those they'll hardly be profitable any more.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add to this possible end game gear drops instead of comms for completing operations ( that's how I read the blog anyway ) plus in op/fp gear drops that are going to be relevant to YOUR character which almost implies it's going to be guaranted as opposed to rolled.

Plus all the talk on streamlining the 0-50 process. Streamlining to me = not needing to gear up every 4-8 levels if at all. Permanent bolster for all 1-50 content like makeb wouldn't surprise me any more.

At least there is still dye modules heh but if everyone moves to those they'll hardly be profitable any more.

Ah God, permanent bolster?? That would be awful !

If they did something like that I'd hope it would be optional, like the GSI thing on Makeb orbital station.

I enjoy keeping all my characters at or below mission level while i do story and side missions, I like a little challenge and the odd death / run away situation!

Hopefully 'Streamlining' does not equate to 'Easy Mode'

Ah God, permanent bolster?? That would be awful !

If they did something like that I'd hope it would be optional, like the GSI thing on Makeb orbital station.

I enjoy keeping all my characters at or below mission level while i do story and side missions, I like a little challenge and the odd death / run away situation!

We can hope though with them putting up the class story spoilers on the forums as opposed to just having a summary in game IF you decided to start KoTFE and had not done/finished the class story isn't giving me a lot of hope.

Should just leave 12x exp I feel as that seems to work but no doubt they want to go back to selling more exp boosts.

The pessimist in me says that streamlining is going to exactly that -- make it easier.

Take the new solo-mode flashpoints that were added with 3.0. In addition to the fact that you are given this incredibly powerful super-god-droid -- the combat encounters were on a par with vanilla leveling encounters.

Case in point, I was able to solo about 95% the SoR flashpoint fights. As in solo with NO droid, and NO companion either -- just the main toon all by his lonesome.

Or take the "solo Revan operation". I tested the theory that I didn't need to participate at all except for a minor mechanic. Fight started, ordered my companion to attack, and read a book while waiting. Joined fight at 66% and 33% to drop the bubbles and went back to the book.

So, my expectations are -- any forthcoming changes will make the game much easier.

Edited by Khevar

The pessimist in me says that streamlining is going to exactly that -- make it easier.

Take the new solo-mode flashpoints that were added with 3.0. In addition to the fact that you are given this incredibly powerful super-god-droid -- the combat encounters were on a par with vanilla leveling encounters.

Case in point, I was able to solo about 95% the SoR flashpoint fights. As in solo with NO droid, and NO companion either -- just the main toon all by his lonesome.

Or take the "solo Revan operation". I tested the theory that I didn't need to participate at all except for a minor mechanic. Fight started, ordered my companion to attack, and read a book while waiting. Joined fight at 66% and 33% to drop the bubbles and went back to the book.

So, my expectations are -- any forthcoming changes will make the game much easier.

As a new player who just did the solo mode Revan flashpoints over the last few days I was very disappointed.

They are taking another easy way out by integrating flashpoints into the solo leveling experience and it doesn't really work. In the base game you had hard solo fights at some points that were actually tuned and designed for a solo player. Now you get solo flashpoints that are completely dull face-roll with a magic droid and a magic healing buff to help. it's yet another way to make less content stretch further.

Got my first guy to 60 today and I liked the Hutt Cartel but hated SoR. Everything seemed cheap and dumb, the writing was juvenile and quite poor, the voice acting was often weak, the zones were small and cramped and I completely hate the ludicrous Lana and Theron working together joined hip to hip story just so every cut-scene can be used for both factions.

At this point I have heavy doubts that KotFE will give me anything I want. I'm tempted to just stop where I am with one level 60 and just wait and see.

You're assuming you somehow are the only person who has access to the information you speak of, you're not.

Whilst I won't ever directly reference it I was including it in my statement on positive things coming forward being very little. Also it relies on some of them being actually true and one of the new things supposedly coming in would make little sense after BW telling us no new NiM ops and 2 being removed.

Otherwise official/unofficial ... I've seen nothing positive for crew skills.

I suppose I should justify that also and say crew skills as an income source. all things that will hurt crew skills in that regard and nothing positive that will overly negate the hurt that may be coming.

I'm not the only one with the information, it's just common sense based on what was datamined. Crafting is going to get something new because of certain things added, however those things are totally ironic now they've gutted crafting in conquest.

I'm not sure they know what to do with crew skills. They probably left them for last.

Things we know:

You don't need to gear companions

Crafting not needed for conquest

More use of bolster for group content so average player does not have to min/max his gear

Where does this leave crafting? Seriously gutted most likely.

You left out the fact that continuing playes will enter the expansion with bucket loads of commendations so most upgrades in the expansion will not need to be crafted.

Here is the issue I foresee (and hence why there is very little news)

We know:

All stats are now Mastery.

Crit and Surge have been combined in a new 3rd stat: Crit

Given that we can foresee a lot of redundant items (Ill look at cybertech as this is what I primarily use):

(As of now we have):

Mods:

Agile (Aim/Power) Artful (Cun/Power) Keen (Cun/Crit) Nimble (Aim/Crit) Robust (Will/Absorb)

Aptitude (Will/Power) Deft (Str/Power) Mettle (Will/Crit) Potent (Str/Crit) Weighted (Aim/Absorb)

Deflecting (Aim/Def) Elusive (Str/Def) Reinforced (Will/Def) Resilient ( Str/Absorb)

Armorings:

Commando (Aim/108E) Force Wielder (Will/108E) Guardian (Str/108E) Might (+114 Str)

Patron (Cun/108E) Reflex (+114Aim) Resolve (+114Will) Skill (+114 Cun)

Now at the moment that is a large number of choices, both for the player and the crafter. As a result crafters can focus on the "main" markets, and/or the "lesser" markets. This somewhat dilutes the competition. (Albeit most competition can be found in the "main" mods)

So given what we know we will have the following left:

(NOTE BEYOND HERE IS SPECULATION/MY CONCLUSIONS)

Mods:

Powerful Mod (Mastery/Power) Absorbing Mod (Mastery/Absorb) Defending Mod (Mastery/Def)

Armorings:

Tanky Armoring (Mastery/+Extra End) Staby Armoring (+Extra Mastery/End)

To me it appears will have have 3 Mods vs 14 Mods to choose from, 2 Armorings vs 8 to choose from.

This will solidify the market, creating increased downward pressure on the price, and in the end make people view crafting (in this case cybertech) as useless. (From a profit generating view point, back to dailies weee!)

When combined with the conquest news... makes you wonder... why bother at all?

Here is the issue I foresee (and hence why there is very little news)

We know:

All stats are now Mastery.

Crit and Surge have been combined in a new 3rd stat: Crit

Given that we can foresee a lot of redundant items (Ill look at cybertech as this is what I primarily use):

(As of now we have):

Mods:

Agile (Aim/Power) Artful (Cun/Power) Keen (Cun/Crit) Nimble (Aim/Crit) Robust (Will/Absorb)

Aptitude (Will/Power) Deft (Str/Power) Mettle (Will/Crit) Potent (Str/Crit) Weighted (Aim/Absorb)

Deflecting (Aim/Def) Elusive (Str/Def) Reinforced (Will/Def) Resilient ( Str/Absorb)

Armorings:

Commando (Aim/108E) Force Wielder (Will/108E) Guardian (Str/108E) Might (+114 Str)

Patron (Cun/108E) Reflex (+114Aim) Resolve (+114Will) Skill (+114 Cun)

Now at the moment that is a large number of choices, both for the player and the crafter. As a result crafters can focus on the "main" markets, and/or the "lesser" markets. This somewhat dilutes the competition. (Albeit most competition can be found in the "main" mods)

So given what we know we will have the following left:

(NOTE BEYOND HERE IS SPECULATION/MY CONCLUSIONS)

Mods:

Powerful Mod (Mastery/Power) Absorbing Mod (Mastery/Absorb) Defending Mod (Mastery/Def)

Armorings:

Tanky Armoring (Mastery/+Extra End) Staby Armoring (+Extra Mastery/End)

To me it appears will have have 3 Mods vs 14 Mods to choose from, 2 Armorings vs 8 to choose from.

This will solidify the market, creating increased downward pressure on the price, and in the end make people view crafting (in this case cybertech) as useless. (From a profit generating view point, back to dailies weee!)

When combined with the conquest news... makes you wonder... why bother at all?

Well I don't think it will ever be useless pre se but it certianly wouldn't be a ver viable means of making lots of credits in light of how many credits are being generated by dailies currently ( comapred to say a year ago ) and also further inflation we are going to get from all these changes.

So ideally many crafting items will make you less than they do now but many non crafted GTN items are going to become more expensive.

Why bother? Mostly to craft for yourself and your own toons really ( though if prices really hit rock bottom and you've a ton of credits why even waste the time queueing things, REing etc. ).

Of course things like dye modules, crystals, boosts will still sell but gear is going to take quite a big hit it seems so far and that's providing gear crafting doesn't end up like current GSH crafting which some hints seem to point to it maybe doing.

My world is about to come to an end but it's all my fault. Because of 12xp I craft all my stuff for the next toon right when I get to Makeb. Last night had my Cybertec, Biochem and Aftifice crafters make everything I need while forgetting that it's been confirmed that companions won't need gear in the webstream last month which I didn't remember until today at work. As long as all the equipment survives the coming changes it's not a hit, I just crafted for the next two toons rather than the one.

If we lose our companions our ability to craft ceases/pauses until we get old or new ones and perhaps have to re-grind their affection....

So will there will be a shortage of craftables during the first week or so of augments, mods, armorings, barrels etc???

Are we supposed to go craft-happy-bezerk a few weeks before the launch to have things to sell at crazy-bezerk high prices?

My impression from interviews is that you'll be able to mission with all your old companions. You just won't be able to use them during KOTFE-specific story quests until you've rediscovered them. You will not have to regrind affection. They explicitly said they're not taking anything away or forcing you to regrind stuff.

Aside from their other obvious plans to murder crafting as a relevant game mechanic, you have nothing to worry about.

Just finished watching the twitch livestream...

They answered questions regarding crafting in the middle so please do not yell at me if I forget something or misremember :).

- free level 60 gets skills at 500 that are appropriate to providing stuff to the class: i.e. Musco's free 60 was a BH so he got AM, Scav, and UWT.

- free 60 had the standard list of companions to run missions with but he did not do that with his free 60.

- in the free 60 and the level 17 he went over crafting with, I did not see any companion specific bonuses listed. he did not specifically state as much, but this makes me believe no more companion bonuses save for influence/affection (no more optimization required; you can take whatever crew skills you want on whatever character).

- NO MORE level ranges for tiers: the drop down is now "Grade"

- there are going to be eight total grades named grade 1 through grade 8.

- while gathering in the field...

1. your skill no longer hampers your ability to gather nodes: if you have a skill of 1 you can gather materials from Rishi.
  2. the caveat being that your skill determines how much material you get: if you are a skill 1 gathering on rishi you will only get one unit from the node. But the opposite is true, if you are skill 500 and gather on DK or Coruscant you will get more materials from a given node

- they ARE reducing the number of materials per tier, BUT they are NOT turning those materials into grey vendor trash, they will be converted into the appropriate remaining material(s). So if skill X grade Y material A is going away and material B is sticking around, material A wiill be converted into material B.

- they ARE shuffling what skill crafts what, but Musco did not go into that. the details are going to be in an upcoming blog (about a week)

- Old schematics are NOT being removed, but it was not 100% clear if they are being converted, they will be moved into an "archive" so they can be crafted for appearance (paraphrasing Musco). What that means for item modifications and non-appearance gear is unknown :(

- new schematics start at prototype/blue quality and gear is adaptive.

- CONFIRMED: materials get made into parts and parts are used to craft stuff.

- Mission Skills: you get the WHOLE list of missions in a given tier; NO MORE RELOGGING for mission skills

- Gathering skill missions are still limited to five (I think, did not specify in stream, but I only saw five in the list)

Level syncing and heroics:

- if you take a character to a planet below its current level, it will be level synced. This process DOES NOT remove abilities aquired - it adjusts your stats to the maximum level for that planet. (in the stream he showed a 60 on DK that was downleveled to 18, opened the discipline window and showed that ALL abilities were in tact.

- Heroic rewards are "data crystals" (new commendations in name only) and lockboxes. Lockboxes provide gear appropriate to your class and level, whether the gear is in fact ALWAYS an upgrade to your character was not specified.

Influence = Affection; new name, same functionality except that the more influence one has with a companion the better that companion is in combat.

"combat only" companions will be available from packs. Musco showed off an animal companion.

Please contribute. I was working and watching at the same time so I may have missed stuff.

Edited by psandak

Not happy with the bought 60 getting max skills, as that not fair. The amount of resource, time, credits, etc need to max out a skill (particular a crafting one) make this very closet to buy to win for me. I wish they would change this.

At least some of the other changes are very nice like the mode one and the fact the resources they are taking out will be converted to useful one. Oh and thanks for posting the notes.

This is going to kill my selling mats but that's okay selling mats was only suppose to make enough to craft and I've got more than enough credits and commendation stockpiled to finish the remaining four class storylines I want to do before I call it a career. I hate the fact that all my purple schematics for all my implants, cybertec and biochem needs have been wiped away but if they are starting us off on all blues I can live with that. I have no intention of playing KOTFE but that's from being sick of the game after several months of only playing this game I'm ready to go.

Not happy with the bought 60 getting max skills, as that not fair. The amount of resource, time, credits, etc need to max out a skill (particular a crafting one) make this very closet to buy to win for me. I wish they would change this.

At least some of the other changes are very nice like the mode one and the fact the resources they are taking out will be converted to useful one. Oh and thanks for posting the notes.

I think the term the kids use is pay to win. It took years but the Cartel Market is finally going to be pay to win as I'm seeing like like purchase level 500 such and such crew skill for 1500 Cartel Coins. I'm made my peace with the free to pay business model as long as I don't feel like my progression been hampered to punish me for not wanting to pay beyond the price of the game or in this case subscription fee.

Honestly, I think this is all a huge blow to crafting. Gear is going to be easier than ever to acquire from PVE activities. Since the rewards you get scale to your character, it'll actually be easier to get gear from Heroics, Quests, and FPs than it is for crafting. But then again it wasn't like there was much money to be made from crafting anyway, especially from the lower tiers. Edited by Aricus

Considering that the pre-chosen skills will most likely be either AM, Scav, and UWT, or SW, Arch, and UWT (because those are the two skills that provide the most possible "useful" equipment), I'm not worried.

Furthermore, we did not see any schematics within AM in the stream, so for all we know...yes the skill is at 500 but you still have to train all the schematics, which means that the crafting skill is basically a dead slot.

Lastly, considering the 4 years of existence and 12x XP, chances are the overwhelming majority of subs already have all the crew skills they want, one more character ain't gonna make much difference; the only players who would benefit from the paid for 60 would be new players.

I don't see how crafting for profit is going to survive. Players start with blue schematics, fewer mats are going to be needed to craft, and crafting nodes aren't tied to levels anymore. My craft-fu is very weak, I made almost all my millions of credits selling mats but other than selling cartel market items on gtn I don't see anyone becoming to make big credits from crafting alone once we the expansions gets well underway.

That said this isn't too bad because they also eliminated the reason for crafting for profit which is to buy stuff that going to be given to you now. Then again the people who actually make money from crafting, rather than selling mats like myself are clever adaptable players so I have a feeling they will figure out something.

.......Then again the people who actually make money from crafting, rather than selling mats like myself are clever adaptable players so I have a feeling they will figure out something.

LOL, crafting as an exercise is now dead (R.I.P).

There were three basic reasons to craft:

1. Fun - The new system is simple and bland IMO, more power to anyone who enjoys the new system. There are a few QOL changes in 4.0, but on the whole they are not meaniful in a system that does not provide much enjoyment.

2. Self Sufficiency - There will still be some rational to this in the expansion, but with the proliferation of free gear and essy to get gear,there will be not a heck of a lot of need to craft. We have not been yet told what commendation / crystals will buy. It also seems from watching the live stream that combat is not very challenging after 4.0. The pre made easily cleared the first chapter and the synched single 60 easily burnt down the golds in the heroic which was illustrated. Some will say that the first chapter of KOTFE was easy to allow new players to accomadate, but I do wonder if combat was made easier throughout the game. Time will tell on that.

Will there be 60+ level dailies as part of 4.0? If so, what gear will they drop or provide as a reward?

3. Earn credits - Again, free gear, premades, and commendations will eliminate the need to buy gear. Anyone who levels a character will only have to run a lower level heroic (synced down), which from all appearances will be simple as pie, to get character and level appropriate gear. My level 30 JK can run the level 7 heroic on Tython as a synced down level 10 with all of his/her skills and abilities and with companion and get level 30 gear. Such a bargain.

Companions do not take gear any longer.

Will things like impants and ears still need to be crafted. Well, we don't know. Perhaps commendations will now buy them. Perhaps they will be in the gear boxes we get from lower level heroics. Who knows? Even so, my free 60 at level 500 crafting skills can craft that junk by going to a lower level planet, gathering less diverse mats (at 500 the drop rate will be large per node), buying the blue schematics, and away he goes. What more is needed?

I get the feeling the only place that gear will have any real meaning after 4.0 is in ops.

To the adapters (you know who you are) out there, there will still be saleable items on the GTN. Dyes will still sell, companion gifts look good at the onset of 4.0, and er, er, er, can't think of much else. But you will be facing 17,353,412 others who can craft the stuff and who have no where else to go. Good luck!

So, yuppie puppie crafting is dead starting on 10//20.

-----------------

The real kick of it is that credits will have no real meaning except two after 4.0 hits. That is to buy CM items listed on the GTN and a few unlocks in legacy. Other than that what will they be needed for? As I have stated before, I have bought much popcorn to eat while I watch after launch.

Edited by asbalana

So, yuppie puppie crafting is dead starting on 10//20.

Maybe, maybe not, I dunno. My theories:

1. If a new tier of basic gear is added (e.g. 204 purples) that can be learned at the trainer, that could still be profitable.

2. With companion combat proficiency being affected by influence, companion gifts could be a hot ticket item.

3. If ops gear (216+) gives a better boost than simple bolster, it could open up end-game crafting.

Note that #3 is largely dependent upon how easy it is to obtain end-game mats. There's a rumor that conquest rewards may include these mats -- if so the ops gear could become a thriving market like it was during patch 1.6-1.7.

I am certain that the first month following the release of 4.0 will be an epic crafting boom. Anyone with multiple crafting alts has the potential to make vast sums of money right out the gate.

After that? We'll see what happens.

Edited by Khevar

1. If a new tier of basic gear is added (e.g. 204 purples) that can be learned at the trainer, that could still be profitable.

2. With companion combat proficiency being affected by influence, companion gifts could be a hot ticket item.

3. If ops gear (216+) gives a better boost than simple bolster, it could open up end-game crafting.

Note that #3 is largely dependent upon how easy it is to obtain end-game mats. There's a rumor that conquest rewards may include these mats -- if so the ops gear could become a thriving market like it was during patch 1.6-1.7.

I am certain that the first month following the release of 4.0 will be an epic crafting boom. Anyone with multiple crafting alts has the potential to make vast sums of money right out the gate.

With the lack of options and variety, what's left is what everyone will do. It will be a grand competition in undercutting, especially with mastery reducing the number of schematics to be learned and types of items to be crafted. On top of that, bought level 60s have the relevant crew skills maxxed out by default, further increasing (potential) competition on a reduced pool of schematics and further decreasing an already reduced demand (companions) because everyone can craft their own stuff without the gate of having to put in the effort (time & credits) to level the skills.

Edited by KyaniteD

1. There will be new tiers of gear. But, if like SoR the blues will be obtainable via commendations / crystals / name of the week, they will be sufficient and there will be no need to buy gear. Don't forget the ability to go back as a synced down killer and get level appropriate gear. Drops, there will be many - got to keep the new guys/gals going. Top level purples from crafting will be in reasonable demand for at least a short period after launch, but everyone will be able to craft them. My new 60 will pick up the very limited number of new schematics and cheaply and easily bring them to purple as will everyone else. If I am level 500 in crafting, I can buy the new higher stuff from the trainer even if I have no schematics in my portfolio. The new stuff will be limited in diversity, be able to be crafted by anybody, and will be craftable by everybody. There will be no attractive gear to craft, because that would conflict with the CM. If you saw the live stream, you probably noticed the touting of the new JK gear which will be available from the CM, soon. Get them while they are hot and a hypercrate in every pot. Not my formula for a dynamic market.

2. Indeed, gift items may be hot at first. But the first three thousand or so affection / influence / name of the week points can be picked up from the gift vendor and then after that anyone, everyone, their uncle, and maiden aunt can run missions for them. The gift market will be interesting in the sense that the new players will not have the credits to buy much (unless BW decides to seed every new player with 10M credits and I would not put it past them) and continuing players will likely have their companion's affection / influence / name of the week points pretty well up there by now. In the situation were there will be few things to craft and sell and 10,782,319.4 crafters, I do not look for a large margin on gift items.

3. Some people buy OPs gear / mods / enhancements etc. but the game appears that it will become a good deal easier with 4.0. I am not sure how many people will be buying that gear. Even if some OPs derived gear can be crafted using OPs obtained very very special mats, that does not help crafters in general, but those in raiding guilds which is again not a dynamic crafting scenario. Crafting has served to redistribute the credits in the game. If people cannot make money from normal crafting, how many will have the credits to buy OP dependent gear?

---------------

As far as an epic crafting boom after release, we will see. Joke is I have positioned myself to take advantage of such a boom and my killer busy season after which I take a week or two off ends on 10/15. One question that will require an answer is that even with mega millions of credits in my wee little bank, what is there to spend it on except CM crap which does not appeal to me? The flip side to that is no matter how many credits I have, if I cannot earn credits I will not be spending credits. That concept does not keep the ball of commerce rolling.

Edited by asbalana

But, if like SoR the blues will be obtainable via commendations / crystals / name of the week, they will be sufficient and there will be no need to buy gear.

As a consumer, I agree with you 100%.

As a crafter, I'm not so sure. Right now, on the tail end of 3.0, with free 190-rated gear, commendations handed out like candy, free 192 companion gear, and the entire tier being rendered obsolete in less than 3 weeks, I would never, ever, ever buy 186 gear. But someone is buying my stuff that I craft. It's weird.

Whoever these people are that don't really understand that they don't need to buy this gear? I thank them. And I'm pretty sure they'll stick around for 4.0.

;)

Edited by Khevar

If you guys have time I suggest reading this thread from the begining. Now that we know everthing that coming it's really fun to read the speculative fiction about where we were going and see who was right and who was wrong.