PvP Economy and Ranked Rewards Restructure for Game Update 3.3

TaitWatson

I think that freedom is the key here. Players always benefit when they have more choices, and if they want a specific look to their character and are still willing to pvp in order to earn that reward, should anyone really care that they chose to pvp on a different toon? Honestly I don't really pay attention to what other people have. I see Giradda's Rancor and think, wow, that's neat, that person pvp'ed well in season 1 ... and I see Helix Hyperpods and think, wow, that person did a lot of Nightmare TFB. Whether that toon is the one that actually did the pvp'ing or not, is irrelevant, its the same real person putting in the effort for the reward.

I will say that if you consider doing it for these rewards, you might want to start to do it on vanity drops from operations as well, for consistency.

This is extremely well said.

Bottom line, the player behind that toon earned it, who he uses it on is irrelevant. I say make the BoL.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one achieve a 50% win rate and not place Bronze or above? I thought the whole idea of letting lower ranked players play more to buy the higher tiered rewards was just that - if it's tied to win rate there's no difference between the old system and the new system

Agree here. :)

There has been a lot of feedback in support of the change. Why should they heed you instead of those who like it? At the very least it will get played on PTR.

As a proportion of the total? Intensity of the positive feedback? Because most of what could be considered positive feedback that I"ve seen consists of "Well, I guess it's worth testing." Or "Yay gg Force storm spamming sorcs," and there are other ways of dealing with those. (Really if the only thing standing between your team of 7, assuming 1 defender, and a cap is a single FS spamming sorc, global the sorc or you are bad.) And I've read both threads in their entirety.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of positive feedback for everything but the AOE cap change.

Please give us the tiers for the current season.. I need to know if tier 1 is going to be 1600 or something close to 1700s..

Would help me and others a lot, since we are trying to get the tier 1 on all of ours ranked toons.

thanks

Am I the only person who seemed to notice the quote last week from Alex saying the ranked gear was being reduced by 81% and yet this reduction states something vastly different. Because at 81% it would have placed the whole set at about 5k comma plus the previous piece - which seems reasonable if you are trying to get more people into ranked. 16k is still better but still ridiculous - that's 114 matches winning not including dailies and weeklies.

We are discussing if the titles and mount rewards should be BoL in future seasons. The crystals and weapons are already BoL in previous/current seasons and that will stay the same moving forward. We would like you hear y'alls thoughts on the subject. Does seeing a mount or title on character that (at the extreme) doesn't PvP at all hurt the significance and exclusivity of the reward? Or is it enough to know that someone in the Legacy of that character worked to get the reward?

Everything mentioned looks great overall. The only suggestion I would have would be to keep the rewards based upon "rating". What I mean is that you can earn an unlimited amount of these tokens or whatever you are calling them, but you are only able to use them on rewards within your tier or the tiers under yours. This way it still gives those who excel something unique, and also continues to promote trying to win and not just trying to farm medals.

Everything mentioned looks great overall. The only suggestion I would have would be to keep the rewards based upon "rating". What I mean is that you can earn an unlimited amount of these tokens or whatever you are calling them, but you are only able to use them on rewards within your tier or the tiers under yours. This way it still gives those who excel something unique, and also continues to promote trying to win and not just trying to farm medals.

Reread what Alex posted. The plan is to change the rewards to a token system. If you place into a certain tier you will still get a special snowflake reward, but other rewards will be accessible. The goal of implementing tokens is to keep people playing the whole season and not just getting a certain tier and quitting. This will also encourage players to keep playing even if they had some bad luck in the beginning of the season. :rak_03:

Reread what Alex posted. The plan is to change the rewards to a token system. If you place into a certain tier you will still get a special snowflake reward, but other rewards will be accessible. The goal of implementing tokens is to keep people playing the whole season and not just getting a certain tier and quitting. This will also encourage players to keep playing even if they had some bad luck in the beginning of the season. :rak_03:

Reread what I posted. I understand that much. My point is that the rewards should still be based on performance to some extent outside of just getting more tokens to purchase shared rewards. But I guess for it to work properly, they would need to announce rewards and prices early on to keep people engaged in playing and competing for something, other then who can get the most tokens.

. Does seeing a mount or title on character that (at the extreme) doesn't PvP at all hurt the significance and exclusivity of the reward?

Yes, I feel it does hurt the significance. There has been a huge push by the community to dumb down rewards and gear, especially the outfit designer, making more and more items available regardless of class, level, weight restriction. This waters down the identity between classes and also the reward of obtaining bits of gear.

IMO, it has to stop, and instead reverse course. Make it so it matters what you do, on the character you play on. Otherwise, people will just run FOTM classes through for rewards and then mule them to whatever character they'd like.

Some of the titles that were rewarded involve specific classes. I think this was a great idea, you'd have to abandon it if you let it be a legacy title - as how silly would it be to see a trooper/vanguard title on a jedi guardian?

Continue the path you're going on providing incentive for a specific class for a specific milestone, allow certain rewards to be legacy where it makes sense, but keep certain rewards limited (in this case specifically titles).

This... Seriously, I must be reading the notes wrong or something... In an extensive match, dps classes that can taunt and classes that have the capability of healing will always have more medals than a combat/concentration sentinel or a gunslinger.

Unless you guys are planning on reworking medals, this is a really bad idea.

I have to agree here. What about the poor sucker who gets stuck guarding a node that the enemy team never attacks the entire game? Sure, you will get your objective points but without some DPS/Heals output, or some tanking, this player will never get very decent medal totals. I can see the outcome of this already.....NO ONE will want to guard a node EVER, and if someone does get stuck guarding they will leave and get into some actual fighting somewhere. They need to rethink this.

One more note, Top 96 players will be rewarded enough Season-specific Comms to purchase every reward for the season, in addition to their exclusive reward. They are the cream of the crop and have earned it.

There's more than 96 people that play Ranked?

I have to agree here. What about the poor sucker who gets stuck guarding a node that the enemy team never attacks the entire game? Sure, you will get your objective points but without some DPS/Heals output, or some tanking, this player will never get very decent medal totals. I can see the outcome of this already.....NO ONE will want to guard a node EVER, and if someone does get stuck guarding they will leave and get into some actual fighting somewhere. They need to rethink this.

Eh, that quote is talking about Rated PvP only, so no guarding objectives there. ;)

I defend plenty often on my Shadow, and I wind up with like 6-7 medals, even when I encounter 0 resistance and go straight for the defense node. Seeing as how the max medals you can get for comms is 8, I'm fine with the change.

We are discussing if the titles and mount rewards should be BoL in future seasons. The crystals and weapons are already BoL in previous/current seasons and that will stay the same moving forward. We would like you hear y'alls thoughts on the subject. Does seeing a mount or title on character that (at the extreme) doesn't PvP at all hurt the significance and exclusivity of the reward? Or is it enough to know that someone in the Legacy of that character worked to get the reward?

It should DEFINITELY be Legacy-wide. Characters don't play PvP, people do. The particular character they used isn't relevant to their skill or ability, and they should be able to use cosmetic things on a "cosmetic" character rather than the "functional" character!

It should DEFINITELY be Legacy-wide. Characters don't play PvP, people do. The particular character they used isn't relevant to their skill or ability, and they should be able to use cosmetic things on a "cosmetic" character rather than the "functional" character!

But it is relevant that they did it on that character BoL is great for quality of life things, or some rep gear I guess, but I don't feel like you should get to just bind everything to your legacy just because you want to. If you want to get the Season 5 title on your Sorc, but you mainly play a VG, guess what, you need to put in the time and earn that title on your Sorc.

If you can manage to make customize a bit the rewards so if we see a marauder with one of the rewards (mostly if armour sets are to come back) we don't have to wonder if it was won as a marauder or not. A hatred sin won't have as much merit as, say, a merc dps for showing off an S-4 reward ;-)

In Warzones, capturing an objective (on Alderaan or Voidstar, for example) will no longer be interrupted by AoE effects. This change should reduce the stagnation on objectives and allow for more diverse defensive strategies.

This allows for people to just get the entire 8 man team to cap the objective and eventually one will cap the node, despite an objective based team. All the other changes are really promising. Keep it up guys :D

Agreed! melee in particular is going to be really hurt by this change. Ranged can toggle and shoot but melee will most likely not be able to get to the cappers and then hit each one separately.

I defend plenty often on my Shadow, and I wind up with like 6-7 medals, even when I encounter 0 resistance and go straight for the defense node. Seeing as how the max medals you can get for comms is 8, I'm fine with the change.

Im not talking about comms, Im talking about the tokens you get based on the medals you earn in a match. They state that the tokens you get to use on rewards is based off of the number of medals earned during a match. Sure, you get max comms at 8 medals but you can continue to earn medals over and above 8. I regularly earn 16-20 medals as a tank. Thats a whole lot more than your 6-7 you earn guarding a node. See the problem here? For arguement sake, if they paid out tokens for medals on a 1:1 basis, who the heck would ever want to sit and guard a node and earn 6 tokens when they can be off enganged in combat and earn 16?

Im not talking about comms, Im talking about the tokens you get based on the medals you earn in a match.

Tokens is only for ranked arenas, so no nodes here! :)

Edited by Glower

All the things everywhere should be BoL. Even the warzone commendations pool should be a single massive legacy pool.

Im not talking about comms, Im talking about the tokens you get based on the medals you earn in a match. They state that the tokens you get to use on rewards is based off of the number of medals earned during a match. Sure, you get max comms at 8 medals but you can continue to earn medals over and above 8. I regularly earn 16-20 medals as a tank. Thats a whole lot more than your 6-7 you earn guarding a node. See the problem here? For arguement sake, if they paid out tokens for medals on a 1:1 basis, who the heck would ever want to sit and guard a node and earn 6 tokens when they can be off enganged in combat and earn 16?

Apparently this is a moot point unless they bring back 8v8 ranked, but even if not, you cap out rewards at 8 medals now, it would make sense that they would do the same with tokens.

Apparently this is a moot point unless they bring back 8v8 ranked, but even if not, you cap out rewards at 8 medals now, it would make sense that they would do the same with tokens.

Yeah, I totally misread the token thing. It didnt click for some reason that it was ranked only and ranked is only arenas, which I HATE by the way. Arenas wouldnt be so bad if their grouping mechanic actually produced balanced groups. As it is right now you might have 3 tanks and a DPS against 4 healers.