Females never given flirt options?

PhoenixDream

I'll have to try out the other classes playing a smuggler now its fun but still flirt options are meh to me.

And Iresso came to late into my sage's life. By the time he joined the crew I was hooked on Zenith :( Man I wish they would make him a romance option.

Yeah, Zenith is who I really wanted. I mean, he was a close to a bad boy as JC's get, and he got me fired up, even made some dark decisions with his influence. :D

Yeah, I think Zenith would be a much better romance companion than Iresso.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Iresso came to late into my sage's life. By the time he joined the crew I was hooked on Zenith :( Man I wish they would make him a romance option.

Haha totally, my Twi'lek Consular has a huge thing for Zenith. Then Iresso the completely bland and boring human shows up and is like "Hey baby" at 1k affection. She wanted nothing to do with that. I got Zenith to admit that he "trusts" me, which I figure is as close as she's gonna get.

I have noticed the gender disparity in the flirting too, the trouble is that often I want to play a female because of the romance options. And the lines the females do get are groan-worthy sometimes.

I think its less of an "equality" issue and more of a legal issue. No guy is going to sue bioware because male characters get to sleep around.

If bioware allowed female characters to act the same way they would get sued for portraying women as "s**ts".... thats the society we live in today.

There are people on both sides of the fence, but no one is going to sue because their character can't be more promiscuous.

The longer the game is out the more liberty the company will take with dialogue options, relationships, storylines etc., but for an initial launch BW played it safe.

Id love to know who would sue, I keep reading stuff like this and it feeds into the whole "women are irrational beings who don't like to be portrayed as such and such." And sure maybe if all women gamed it would be one thing.

But as a female gamer I can speak for myself in saying it takes a lot more to offend me then being able to tramp around the galaxy literally. Honestly Ive played games with armor that barely covered anything vital, ive run in guilds where I was literally the only female playing.

I think if things offended my senses so easily Id not be a gamer. Im just tired of people using the logic for non female gamers who may get their panties in a twist if they even cared about such things for us female gamers who like to have fun and want to feel like we are apart of this universe to and not an afterthought. I don't understand any fear of offending Im more offended by them not even really trying to make the game fun in that area for both genders.

Id love to know who would sue, I keep reading stuff like this and it feeds into the whole "women are irrational beings who don't like to be portrayed as such and such." And sure maybe if all women gamed it would be one thing.

But as a female gamer I can speak for myself in saying it takes a lot more to offend me then being able to tramp around the galaxy literally. Honestly Ive played games with armor that barely covered anything vital, ive run in guilds where I was literally the only female playing.

I think if things offended my senses so easily Id not be a gamer. Im just tired of people using the logic for non female gamers who may get their panties in a twist if they even cared about such things for us female gamers who like to have fun and want to feel like we are apart of this universe to and not an afterthought. I don't understand any fear of offending Im more offended by them not even really trying to make the game fun in that area for both genders.

So very true all this. I have lived with games that talk to me like I am a boy, games that make me run around in things that could not even be called skimpy underwear for the enjoyment of the (presumed male) player. I have dealt with (male) players that believed their Y chromosome made them automatically superior and more knowledgeable than me in anything, that outright denied my existence despite voice chat, and that actively tried to sabotage me because of my gender, not to mention the horrible come-ons and inept hitting on me when they find out that yes, I really really am a a girl who plays a computer game.

After surviving all that a little steamy flirting is really not going to phase me.

Not to mention, have the people who think flirting is off putting for women never read a romance novel? Well, probably not if they are afraid being caught doing so might cost them their membership of the macho d-head club. For everybody else who is a little more secure in their masculinity I would recommend doing so at least once. It might open your eyes on this whole men-are-such-and-women-are-so issue.

So very true all this. I have lived with games that talk to me like I am a boy, games that make me run around in things that could not even be called skimpy underwear for the enjoyment of the (presumed male) player. I have dealt with (male) players that believed their Y chromosome made them automatically superior and more knowledgeable than me in anything, that outright denied my existence despite voice chat, and that actively tried to sabotage me because of my gender, not to mention the horrible come-ons and inept hitting on me when they find out that yes, I really really am a a girl who plays a computer game.

After surviving all that a little steamy flirting is really not going to phase me.

Not to mention, have the people who think flirting is off putting for women never read a romance novel? Well, probably not if they are afraid being caught doing so might cost them their membership of the macho d-head club. For everybody else who is a little more secure in their masculinity I would recommend doing so at least once. It might open your eyes on this whole men-are-such-and-women-are-so issue.

I feel you on all of that, and it reminds me of something funny in another game I used to play. They introduced a mob called "The succubus" female demon characters really tough but fun to fight, they wore the skimpiest armor and so many guys were up in arms about them being offensive when most of us girls wanted the one head Succubi's outfit. Seriously it was cool looking tail or no.

When I see people posting things like "women would only be upset at being portrayed as *****" I think of those guys who barked on our behalfs about the succubi and was really not needed. I honestly don't see many females posting about being offended in games most of the time is a guy going on about stuff like the slave stuff in this game and shocking one companion and all that. I have been enjoying this game for the most part nice to have another avenue of fantasy to lose myself into from time to time but they really are lacking in the romance department for us females from giving the poor consulars only one option and not the one many of us would pick to believing we women don't want to flirt evah its been kinda a hoo hum journey threw the galaxy for me. :(

Maybe they thought that women get hit on enough in real life that it would be a nice change if every guy they spoke to didn't assume they wanted to sleep with him?

I mean it's probably not true, but I like to think it might be. :)

If bioware allowed female characters to act the same way they would get sued for portraying women as "s**ts".... thats the society we live in today.

To the best of my knowledge, every single character that my character slept with was because she *chose* to sleep with them. So I'm not sure how this logic works. Give women a lot of one night stand options. If they want to take them, cool. If they don't, no harm done. (It's only a fade to black.)

And honestly, this is a game where you can have a female slave (in a shock collar) that you can repeatedly shock and force to watch you have sex with another woman.

It's a game where as a female (or male) imperial agent, you regularly trade sexual favors for intelligence. (Generally in really gross ways.)

There are threats of sexual assault handed out to certain characters, on screen torture, etc.

Considering some of the stuff that is happening in game, I really, really doubt that women would be upset that they were given the option to have a one night stand. (Or lots of options.)

It's more something that was overlooked, I think. Either because the game didn't believe there'd be many female players (***? 40% of WoW's population is female...) or because it believed that female players wouldn't want one night stands (again, pretty bogus to me).

To the best of my knowledge, every single character that my character slept with was because she *chose* to sleep with them. So I'm not sure how this logic works. Give women a lot of one night stand options. If they want to take them, cool. If they don't, no harm done. (It's only a fade to black.)

And honestly, this is a game where you can have a female slave (in a shock collar) that you can repeatedly shock and force to watch you have sex with another woman.

It's a game where as a female (or male) imperial agent, you regularly trade sexual favors for intelligence. (Generally in really gross ways.)

There are threats of sexual assault handed out to certain characters, on screen torture, etc.

Considering some of the stuff that is happening in game, I really, really doubt that women would be upset that they were given the option to have a one night stand. (Or lots of options.)

It's more something that was overlooked, I think. Either because the game didn't believe there'd be many female players (***? 40% of WoW's population is female...) or because it believed that female players wouldn't want one night stands (again, pretty bogus to me).

The writing deals in archetypes or tropes. Concepts that are so familiar to us that we can understand them without needing any further explanation. The Jedi is the knight from fairy tales, the Consular the wise old man (or wizard), and the imperial agent is the James Bond type of spy. Each of their stories are written within their archetype.

As such I do not believe the lack of relative flirting options for female characters is caused by ignorance. Rather the writers slipped into another established pattern here, aka the double standard. For centuries it has been an unquestioned believe that it was the 'nature of men' to sleep around, as it was in the 'nature of women' to stay at home and preferably chaste and horrified by the idea of sex. It is only the last few decades that this traditional view is challenged and almost our entire collective body of writing is (in as much as it mentions the relationship between the sexes) is based around this double standard.

Unless a writer makes a specific effort to overcome this bias new stories will gravitate towards the traditional patterns of all the stories he or she knows.

The best thing that can be done in discussion threads like this is to politely point out to the writers of Bioware that something slipped past their collective effort that they probably did not intend. After all, unlike so many other developers they do have a reputation of being a bit more women friendly in their stories.

The best thing that can be done in discussion threads like this is to politely point out to the writers of Bioware that something slipped past their collective effort that they probably did not intend. After all, unlike so many other developers they do have a reputation of being a bit more women friendly in their stories.

I wish we could just bluntly ask them.

My female guildies and I have discovered that playing a female Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, and Trooper toons have basically ZERO flirt options throught the entire game play.

(The only exception is when we meet our courting companion and we flirt about three times and then it is over for the durration of the game.)

Originally we suspected it was simply because of the class we were playing until we learned that our male guildies--who play characters of the same class--have several flirt options all throughout the game. It is not specific to class, it is specific to female characters alone.

We feel this is quite sexist and are very dissapointed that the males of the same class toon have more flirt options.

We ask that you re-think future writings on how the genders are played, and please do not make the females so entirely boring and frigid. Let us have a little more personality.

Thank you.

Quick question. Are you showering them with gifts? Most of us guys do yielding the flirt options in which you speak.

Yay! Another controversial topic! Is flirting really that big a deal for you guys? Honestly? Is it game breaking that you don't get to bang anything with something between its legs?

Who said anything about game-breaking? Sometimes, folks just want to be treated fairly. If women want more flirt options for their females, then by all means. I fail to see how this is controversial in any way.

I'd just like to point out another item too : My Sorceress did get some flirt options on Nar Shadaa... with a guy who really wasn't worth it, IMO, but I took the option the first time because I was curious what he would reply. He got all embarressed about it, and I thought nothing more of it at first. Then he appeared again in a leter conversation, another flirt option, so I thought "sure, let's make him squirm a bit more" (I am a Sith, after all...) and instead we get a fade to black ! Just felt very weird to me - many better possibilities had existed before and after as a possible flirt target. My male Sith Warrior got to flirt even before he left Korriban, whereas I think my female Juggernaut is still wondering if anyone has actually noticed her...

I have a lv 30 something Trooper Female and she had a flirt more then once out side of compan! a LOT too so I don't know what your talking about @ op

Actually, I would like to know what these many flirt options are for your female trooper.

The only one I encountered so far was the SIS agent on Nar Shaddaa. Which was just a few fun lightly suggestive comments and nothing more (and fun to see Aric get all flustered when called out on his jealousy)

From what I have been given to understand is that the average male character already has one or two children by the time they leave the starter planet ...

Mind, I am not looking for a fade to black scene, but simply a few more opportunities for a bit of teasing or lightly suggestive answers. Perhaps a bit of girl talk with Elara. I mean, we're gropos, we realise that every mission could be fatal to us, so we party hard because we never know what will happen tomorrow.

My female guildies and I have discovered that playing a female Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, and Trooper toons have basically ZERO flirt options throught the entire game play.

(The only exception is when we meet our courting companion and we flirt about three times and then it is over for the durration of the game.)

Originally we suspected it was simply because of the class we were playing until we learned that our male guildies--who play characters of the same class--have several flirt options all throughout the game. It is not specific to class, it is specific to female characters alone.

We feel this is quite sexist and are very dissapointed that the males of the same class toon have more flirt options.

We ask that you re-think future writings on how the genders are played, and please do not make the females so entirely boring and frigid. Let us have a little more personality.

Thank you.

A lot of the romance-with-companion options happen after a certain Chapter is finished. They cannot be started beforehand. (You wrote this post on Dec 25, so I am guessing this is your problem. Even with full early access from Dec 13, that is only 12 days.)

The romance options also depend on Affection level. You'll need to get those companions to ~8000 affection to make it happen. If you don't remember which companion it is for your class, there are various spoiler sites on the web to tell you.