Females never given flirt options?

PhoenixDream

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Smugglers/Agents (male and female) should get the dialog option "How you doin?" or "No, How YOU doin?" for the first player response to *every* non-companion dialog. Make it option '4' so no other ones have to be removed.

And provide a wide array of responses -- OG, SG.

Both my Bountyhunter and Imperial Agent has had plenty of opportunity to flirt.

I think that perhaps you are looking at this the wring way, in the sense that while male troopers and Jedi are strong figures, they are also then kind of person that one might expect to flirt, wheras a strong woman, like troopers or jedi, value their independence and is seen by the general populace as an unattainable figure.

This is of course based entirely on my own notions, but to me it seems logical (plus stereotyping men as ***** bastards never seems to fail when you wanna earn some cheap laughs)

Yep, barely had my Rattaki body style 4 young lady out of the gate at level 3-4 on Hutta and she was using her Imperial Agent skills and flirting all the way to the side rooms. I wonder if this is going to keep up to be honest. I can see the look on a fathers face if their daughter has that happening 20 minutes into the game. He is thinking what I have I bought here......

Edited by Dawgtide

My female guildies and I have discovered that playing a female Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, and Trooper toons have basically ZERO flirt options throught the entire game play.

(The only exception is when we meet our courting companion and we flirt about three times and then it is over for the durration of the game.)

Originally we suspected it was simply because of the class we were playing until we learned that our male guildies--who play characters of the same class--have several flirt options all throughout the game. It is not specific to class, it is specific to female characters alone.

We feel this is quite sexist and are very dissapointed that the males of the same class toon have more flirt options.

We ask that you re-think future writings on how the genders are played, and please do not make the females so entirely boring and frigid. Let us have a little more personality.

Thank you.

I have to say that I agree with this 100%, it does get a little exasperating when I can't flirt with anyone and all the male characters flirt every other conversation. A definite need to update here.

I levelled my second female Sith warrior and although I never played a male character yet I can say there there were quite some flirt options for females. These are the ones I remember:

1. Quinn on Balmorra and later ofc

2. an npc on on Hoth

3. an npc whom you flirt with and can even have sex with on Nar-Shaddaa

4. Lieutenant Pierce on Belsavis before and after he becomes a companion

and this is just that I instantly remember, maybe there was more. There were plenty of flirt options for my Chiss sniper too, up to the point where she could even marry an npc...

I levelled my second female Sith warrior and although I never played a male character yet I can say there there were quite some flirt options for females. These are the ones I remember:

1. Quinn on Balmorra and later ofc

2. an npc on on Hoth

3. an npc whom you flirt with and can even have sex with on Nar-Shaddaa

4. Lieutenant Pierce on Belsavis before and after he becomes a companion

and this is just that I instantly remember, maybe there was more. There were plenty of flirt options for my Chiss sniper too, up to the point where she could even marry an npc...

Wow four whole flirts!

Okay yes you can flirt up a storm with Quinn even though sometimes you lose affection with him for it, I'll give you that. And you can flirt with Pierce a couple times - I would've been very disappointed if we couldn't so that was good. But the guy on Nar Shaddaa and the guy on Hoth.. are so. Gross. Out of all the hundreds of npcs in the game we run across from one to fifty they give femwarriors one romanceable companion, one flirtable companion, and two icky mission givers that all females share.

I'm sorry but I just have to count quality here as well as quantity, and both are pretty anemic. And you aren't forgetting any, that was it for the female warrior. As far as agents, I know the story is a little different for them, we all know it, it's been discussed at length many times in this thread that they occasionally have the opportunity to seduce their marks.

You might try leveling a male character, or leveling with someone who plays one (which I've done a few times) for some perspective. I can even tell when he skips a flirt because he just stands there indecisively and then says something almost rude. In mumble I'm like "you just skipped a flirt didn't you?" And he's like "...yes :p"

Edited by grania

While I agree that the flirting options are disproportionate between male and female characters, I think it's mostly because BioWare doesn't want to be called out on making their female characters into "*****" or make them shallow. Its easier with males because we're apparently unable to control our raging hormones :rolleyes: but it's a double standard thing.

No one really bats an eye when male characters can flirt up a storm, but all hell breaks loose from the straw feminists when female characters do.

Wow four whole flirts!

But the guy on Nar Shaddaa and the guy on Hoth.. are so. Gross. Out of all the hundreds of npcs in the game we run across from one to fifty they give femwarriors one romanceable companion, one flirtable companion, and two icky mission givers that all females share.

I'm sorry but I just have to count quality here as well as quantity, and both are pretty anemic.

Ok, 4 flirts isn't much, but come on, now you're just being picky. :D

While I agree that the flirting options are disproportionate between male and female characters, I think it's mostly because BioWare doesn't want to be called out on making their female characters into "*****" or make them shallow. Its easier with males because we're apparently unable to control our raging hormones :rolleyes: but it's a double standard thing.

No one really bats an eye when male characters can flirt up a storm, but all hell breaks loose from the straw feminists when female characters do.

^ This...well that, and most men don't really give a **** about how they are portrayed. We are just like...

"......Meh" *Shrugs and moves on.*

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

My shadow has had about two flirt options not counting the one companion (who seems to be a little strange considering he's involved with a hologram) and she is level 34, which really isn't bad, but considering the only one I actually flirt with is my rp husband I'm married to I rarely take the flirt options. More fun for me flirting with a person than a npc anyways. :p Edited by ScarletBlaze

A couple of points.

Firstly, a number of people have taken the OP's post and gone all "omg u cant comapre jedi with others cus their liek monks!" But the OP never compared a female Jedi to a female anything else; she compared her female Jedi to a male Jedi, and having played a male Jedi Sentinel myself (currently level 26), I can indeed vouch that I've had a fair few flirt options already. None of which I've taken, but that's a character thing, not a story thing.

Secondly, an argument has been brought up that nobody cares how a man appears, but if a woman flirts with someone, she'll look like a [promiscuous woman], and that'll make her sad and ashamed.

To this I say: screw 'em. What do I care if someone thinks my character looks like a [promiscuous woman]? If that's her personality, then that's her personality, and it won't have any bearing on how I appear as a person.

I understand voice acting costs a lot of money, but aside from that money being quite possible to allocate more fairly, frankly, the storylines themselves (which are a lot cheaper!) could do with a bit of modernisation. Women should have the opportunity to be a little promiscuous, even if they choose not to take it, without fearing undue consequences.

Thirdly, and possibly most importantly: a great number of male players make female characters. Some for the standard reason of having the chance to stare at a prettier [set of buttocks], but for others it's a choice out of curiosity; they want to experience the story from a female point of view. These men (especially if they're a bit older than 15) like seeing well-rounded personalities and complete stories as much as the smaller, female playerbase does.

Or, looking at it the other way around: isn't thinking that a man only plays a game to get his rocks off to some airhead NPC something of an insult to male intelligence, and a poor, bland stereotype in itself?

Men can think. And women can want sex. Neither is wrong, I'd say both are desirable.

Edit: Bioware doesn't like me talking dirty.

Edited by Aeramen

The men who makes the game don't really know how women flirt...

I'm not trying to troll here but i'm guessing it's more down to the American mindset then any ability to understand.

Or they just don't want to be accused of presenting females as "sl*tty"...

Edited by Korodoch

Female characters really do get less flirt options. Male smugglers can flirt and sleep their way around and females barely a...look in. The people that wrote it just seemed to have difficultly writing women who flirt because they want to, not because they're there to be wanted. Edited by Vencha

I'm not one to get on the ISM trains, but, there really should be options for both. Frankly, I'd like to see more flirt options altogether. Got here tryin' to see if I could flirt with Cera.

On the note of sexism though, I just noticed while playing tonight how the humanoids we fight certainly appear to be predominately male - if not all(gonna be lookin' now)

I've played many a game and while one does see a higher percentage of male enemies on the field (which makes sense), there are usually both out there. Just takin' WoW(and I almost hate to do that) as an example, there are female npc baddies to fight in practically every quest scenario. Female pirates, soldiers, lackeys - all of 'em. Just not seein' it here is all. Then again, SW is not known for females on the field or practically at all in the storylines except for a chosen few.

It's not a matter of sexism. It's a matter of playing a priest and finding there are little options to flirt. There MIGHT be a few more flirt options for males than females. But on my male trooper, BH and warrior there have been VERY few chances to flirt outside companions, 9/10 with like really old or ugly NPCs, LOL

Started a female marauder for kicks and she could practically jump Quinn before making him her companion. I think it's more of a Jedi - Ascetic vs Sith - Passion thing.

As some have mentioned, Smugglers and Agents of both sexes get to flirt with animals even.

My jedi (female) is level 43 and looking back I think the issue is men are too *afraid* to flirt with her... look at the reputation they have and their code regarding relationships. Maybe that factored in to the lack of flirting options. The only guy with the cojones to flirt was Doc because he's... Doc . He's like the honey badger of the galaxy, he just doesn't give a crap. He looked passed the jedi robes and only saw a good looking woman.

Good ole' Doc.

I've been playing an imperial agent and she's already had an opportunity to have sex with a guy on Hutta (the starting planet).

I figure the game is still young and things are going to be added. I've been playing Guild Wars for 5 years and they're *still* adding stuff.

Crossing my fingers for more relationship updates.

Actually, I found that female IA's get flirt options like mad in act 2. Not so much in act 1, except for the one zabrak dude on Hutta who tries to blackmail you, and then the options are pretty much zero until act 2.

HOWEVER, I've heard that male IA's get to sleep around like crazy. Minus companions, I've only ever gotten the option to sleep with the aforementioned blackmailer so far (though I've only gotten through half the Voss storyline so far, so who knows, maybe there's something more. Or maybe I've missed a few options from skipping bonus series). So if I were to complain about gender equality in any area...

Well I'm a guy so even though my experiences corroborate the OP's it does not seem like a big deal to me :)

My lvl 50 female inquisitor had 5 or so flirt options throughout the entire campaign. I just started a male jedi knight and he's already had 4 flirt options even though he's just lvl 13.

Edited by Projawa

I've noticed this as well. Leveling my Jedi Knight as a female, I noticed I've had absolutely no flirt options besides with my romanceable companion, Doc. You would think that because it's a Jedi that it would be part of the story, but no. My first character was a male Jedi Consular and I got to flirt with several woman throughout the story.

The romance portion of this game was horribly implemented it seems, what with no same gender option and this. Romance was supposed to be a huge part of the story (and alas, BioWare themselves take pride in their in-game romance stories), yet they failed so miserably at it in the old Republic.

Edited by Ketchum

I was rather interested in the Sith Warrior story (played as a female Sith) and was disappointed in how few flirt options there were. As I recall, she had none until she got to Balmorra and chatted with Quinn (the s o b).

So I started a Jedi Knight to see the other side of the story and decided to go male (I'm female, btw). He has his first flirt option by about level 5. It doesn't go anywhere, but what the heck?

And a side comment--if I had a son with that body type (huge shoulders and chest overbalancing the rest of the body), I'd be worried.

Second side comment--I can already tell that I'm going to get really tired of "The Force be with you."

Edited by NgeneR

My husband and I are both playing smugglers together. While I get to flirt here and there, he gets many many more flirt (and black screen) options than I do. It seems like he gets to flirt with practically every female he sees! Honestly, I was rather annoyed at the disparity. I don't see any reason why there should be a difference. Let the player decide if they want to click on it, but it should be an option for everyone, you know?

I recently started a male IA. We'll see if he really gets to "shag his way across the galaxy" like I've heard. :rolleyes: