12x XP Returns!

Rankyn

I find it funny that people blame rapid advancement for other people not knowing how to play.

Newsflash: It's a videogame, not a college degree program.

If you can't learn how to play well enough to get by in even 12 hours of gameplay then it means one of two things:

1) You're bad at the game and aren't gonna get any better without help anyway or

2) You're not interested in becoming "teh ub3r 1337 gammer" anyway and are just playing for fun.

No amount of forced slog through all the repeatable content is gonna change that.

Likewise, the people that do want to excel at the game are probably bright enough to be able to learn what they need to learn in a minimum amount of time because they either have an aptitude for it or a support system in place to learn it and a shortened grind path isn't going to make a difference to them either.

Bottom line: Bads will be bad no matter what, but hiding the fun of the game behind a long and boring path just turns away the vast majority of people that aren't hardcore.

Accelerated XP gain prevents you from experiencing exactly 0% of what the game has to offer while giving more people the incentive to experience it when they otherwise wouldn't have.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'm hyped about this, I'm afraid this is what is going to eventually kill this game. Should have been legacy 50. New players are gonna power level all stories then quit within a 3 month period, instead of what would normally take a year+.

Oh well.

As much as I'm hyped about this, I'm afraid this is what is going to eventually kill this game. Should have been legacy 50. New players are gonna power level all stories then quit within a 3 month period, instead of what would normally take a year+.

Oh well.

So? Do you worry a lot about what everyone else is doing? I doubt they'd have lasted 3 months without it if that's really all they're going to do.

I like it, as a casual that don't have much time, it took me 4+ months to lvl one Jedi to 57. With this option in effect you still be able to experience the story and enjoy the end game on few different classes. I personally want to gear up and just que WZ with different classes instead of leveling another one for another 4 + months.

May 4th for all subscribers.

Saw this announced at the Cantina Event. Was pretty sweet news I must say. I have been PvPing and playing Class Missions exclusively to level toons since my third alt. Gonna make things a lot easier if I do decide to level anything else.

Edited by DarthOvertone

How long is this going to last, and only for subs? Is this going to last forever (only for subs of course, with an off/on button)?

All I need is 8 hours, and I can get my 20 shadow to 60, will be my first ever level 60 pub toon, I got 3 on Imp.

How long is this going to last, and only for subs? Is this going to last forever (only for subs of course, with an off/on button)?

There wasn't much discussion about the mechanics of it, however, Eric mentioned that 12XP would be in place for the forseeable future with no present end date. It is only for subscribers.

Edited by DarthOvertone

Oh well.

That's definitely my fear. Making it that widely available, with no requirements other than a subscription...makes me worry that EA doesn't expect to keep the game around a whole lot longer, and just wants it to go out in a blaze of short-term revenue. As someone who enjoys taking my time and savoring the game, I'd rather have it be available for a long time to come.

But yeah, with 12x xp, I suspect it will close down sooner than it would have otherwise.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for Togruta, because I am already planning my next Togruta alts and want to use 12x to level them! :D

Same! I'm hoping that Togruta come out in June, with the 12x XP lasting at least through summer. :)

That's definitely my fear. Making it that widely available, with no requirements other than a subscription...makes me worry that EA doesn't expect to keep the game around a whole lot longer, and just wants it to go out in a blaze of short-term revenue. As someone who enjoys taking my time and savoring the game, I'd rather have it be available for a long time to come.

But yeah, with 12x xp, I suspect it will close down sooner than it would have otherwise.

I share your sentiment, although I doubt it will "go out" for quite some time. SWG lingered on with, what is speculated to have been? 20,000 subscriptions. And they were churning out new content regularly, up until the final 6 months.

If it is a short-term revenue venture, with their eyes on the game fizzling out I'd wager that they will merge as many servers as possible and simply reduce the staff to a level that the subs+CM can sustain and allow the game to continue on "cruise control" until the next studio gets a license for a SW MMO.

With Ep7 coming out at the end of this year, there should be a short term boom of subscriptions, that's how it was for SWG when Ep3 was released anyway.

Disagrees ≠ Incite a fight

Sound logic there.

I fail to see how I "jumped the gun exactly". :rolleyes:

Prior to the cantina event, I was fairly sure how the 12XP was going to be implemented, but instead of confirming it on the spot, the guys from Bioware, in true BW Austin fashion, threw a wrench into everything and just claimed 12XP would be available to all subscribers.

That's it.

The event lasted for a full hour approximately, and they couldn't even be bothered to explain how it actually worked.

On another note, calm down. Are you related to 12XP or something? Did it nurse you as an infant? Did it breastfeed you or something? :confused:

I also do raids and PvP on a regular basis, the latter daily in fact.

Plus, I also have forty four characters, which I juggle here and there, on a weekly basis. I'd go preferred if it provided with ease a similar experience, but from the feedback I got, there's just too many hoops to jump through. Can't be bothered. :(

Some of us have strong emotions towards 12xp because we truly believe it's the best thing that could happen to SWTOR.

And some of us believe the opposite.

I must say man, even though we disagree, you have been the person who's argument was the most rational and one that actually made me think at times. I couldn't believe the attitude of some people on both sides of this thing after I posted the datamined info. Ya know, come to think of it, starting about a month ago, we filled the 12x thread with datamined info and sources, and didn't hear a peep from BW. Kind of weird.

Anyway, super stoked for 12x. My whole guild is. It's gonna be nice to finish off the couple stories I haven't seen these past few years and also nice to whip out a new raiding toon whenever.

And some of us believe the opposite.

My only argument for it is this. Bioware knows how many people returned/tried out the game when it was released. They know how many people stayed after it was removed. After a few months of data they've decided that a permanent release of 12xp is better for the game. I trust Bioware as well as the data they obtained. In the end only bioware knows the full numbers and the math behind their decision.

Edited by Rhyltran

Some of us have strong emotions towards 12xp because we truly believe it's the best thing that could happen to SWTOR.

And some of us believe it's the worst thing that could happen.

I'm no doomsayer, but I honestly believe making 12xp permanent is the worst decision bioware has made, with the second worst decision being ever even implementing it in the first place.

And some of us believe it's the worst thing that could happen.

I'm no doomsayer, but I honestly believe making 12xp permanent is the worst decision bioware has made, with the second worst decision being ever even implementing it in the first place.

Bioware has the data. I saw a large influx of players when it was added. Enough of those players must have stayed if bioware decided to keep it. More must have stayed than left. I disagree. Given the population decline in the game I think this is the best decision they made with the second best decision implementing it in the first place.

Bioware has the data. I saw a large influx of players when it was added. Enough of those players must have stayed if bioware decided to keep it. More must have stayed than left. I disagree. Given the population decline in the game I think this is the best decision they made with the second best decision implementing it in the first place.

If bioware had made this decision based on data, we would have seen 12xp awhile ago. They are bring it back because some EA manager wanted a quick short term profit.

It's like Gizmel's heroic on Ord Mantell. Only instead of keeping the villangers in line with spice, its 12xp.

Sure it'll be great short term, and long term it will be bad.

If bioware had made this decision based on data, we would have seen 12xp awhile ago. They are bring it back because some EA manager wanted a quick short term profit.

It's like Gizmel's heroic on Ord Mantell. Only instead of keeping the villangers in line with spice, its 12xp.

Sure it'll be great short term, and long term it will be bad.

No they wouldn't. Why would they bring it back sooner? A week or even a single month isn't accurate data. Accurate data is built up over a period of months. 12xp hasn't been gone for a very long time. So how much sooner do you think they should have released it based on data? After about 4 months they have an idea of it's effects as a whole both short term and long term. This is exactly enough time to base data off of. Any sooner and it'd have been too soon to say how many left or how many stayed. Any longer would have been unnecessary.

If they wanted a quick boost to tie people over they wouldn't say it's going to be added indefinitely. Again, as stated above, you don't use 2 months of data. That is way too soon to base anything off of.

Edited by Rhyltran

If there were nothing else happening at that time, that data could be used as relevant, but because of a little thing called 3.0-SoR and along with it, broke a content drought, how useful can any data be during that period?

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge could conclude that even if 12x had never existed, that the population swings that happened pre SoR to the current day would of happened with complete certainty.

And that doesn't even take into account the amount of people unhappy with what the team have done to the game since 3.0 dropped and how some perceive their favorite classes destroyed.

Edited by Mowermanx

I must say man, even though we disagree, you have been the person who's argument was the most rational and one that actually made me think at times. I couldn't believe the attitude of some people on both sides of this thing after I posted the datamined info. Ya know, come to think of it, starting about a month ago, we filled the 12x thread with datamined info and sources, and didn't hear a peep from BW. Kind of weird.

Anyway, super stoked for 12x. My whole guild is. It's gonna be nice to finish off the couple stories I haven't seen these past few years and also nice to whip out a new raiding toon whenever.

Appreciate the sentiment. That's all I ask for, a fair and honest discussion weighing the pros and cons of the situation.

I truly hope that the metrics behind the decision indicate that it will draw in long term players. As I was in SWG, I'm here for the long-haul with this game and I want to see it do well.

If there were nothing else happening at that time, that data could be used as relevant, but because of a little thing called 3.0-SoR and along with it, broke a content drought, how useful can any data be during that period?

Anyone with a modicum of knowledge could conclude that even if 12x had never existed, that the population swings that happened pre SoR to the current day would of happened with complete certainty.

Except 12x exp happened before SOR came out. They've released expansions before and they have the data of how many people return just before an expansion hits. SOR isn't the first expansion. It's also very possible that there was more people playing during the 12xp event than during the SOR launch which would also be saying something. They have expected numbers to hit during an expansion launch. If the 12xp exceeded their known parameters then that's saying something.

I'm not saying for certainty that 12exp is the best thing that can happen to the game other than it's my opinion that it is. My only argument is that regardless how anyone feel Bioware has data and it's based on that data that 12exp is back. Bioware has a better picture than the rest of us do. I've always wanted it to return and there was a massive "Can we have 12exp back please?" that I followed but I didn't respond much in that thread (if at all.) because I didn't expect Bioware to bring it back. I am honestly surprised that they are. If they didn't I'd respect that because according to their data that meant it wasn't worth it.

If it turns out to be detrimental will remove it. The wording "We will be keeping it so long we don't know if it will ever go away" translates to "We plan to make it permanent but if it hurts the game it's gone." I personally don't think it will hurt the game.

Edited by Rhyltran

I too would like an opt out on an individual character bases. So Ok can run my commando using this but then do it without on my Merc as not done her though to level 60 once yet on any sever. 12XP would really not help. Still guess you can do it just without getting XP once you have gone passed the recommended level by 5. So guess I can live with it.

Agree with both sides here, cool for them who want it, need an opt out for those who don't. I do think it should be sort term though and not permanently or even months.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.