Do something with SM Underlurker already, TOS has been wasting for nearly 4 months

Pietrastor

So, you implicitely say that *all PUGs* are able to 4-man Underlurker ?

No that's not what he's saying. The point is that if its possible to 4-man it, then by doubling the amount of players present (8 manning) a pug should be able to handle it unless they are absolutely terrible.

Funny, I didn't see any system specs posted in that thread...I suspect that at least one of the four didn't have an average computer (since they can devote extra cycles to recording). Pay-to-win FTW.

You don't need an amazing rig, but yes in a lot of cases there is a minimum system requiement to raid effectively. We had a raider in our group that was definitely a good player. Could pull good numbers, good grasp of raid mechanics, but his computer was trash.

At first we made jokes about his "hampsters" when he would load in minutes later than everyone and couldnt see adds spawn until they were half dead already. But as we progressed to harder and harder fights it became less funny and more frustrating. Eventually we were forced to replace him as he simply was not able to perform due to comp issues on very intensive fights. That is the reality of the situation.

But even so, these minimum system requirments are not really all that high.

Edited by Terro_Fett

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I didn't see any system specs posted in that thread...I suspect that at least one of the four didn't have an average computer (since they can devote extra cycles to recording). Pay-to-win FTW.

That's your idea of P2W?

I have a **** old laptop.. run a i7 2630QM, Geoforce GT 530M (it's ****.. look it up..), a whopping 4 gigs of RAM.. etc..

I have no issues in there..

If a computer is much worse than mine (such as running a integrated graphics chip...) maybe you should check out the minimum system requirements for the game again. . . . . .

Yes UL blows holes in your graphics/FPS, but it's not that bad. . .

And I wanna say i'm suprised this topic is still going but.. i'm not.. Stop complaining, it's been four months now, if people can't learn the fight in that long, theres some serious problems.. not to mention by this time even on a class with changes you should know how to do more than 2500 DPS... which is all you need..

That's your idea of P2W?

No, that was my idea of somebody being a tool.

I have a **** old laptop.. run a i7 2630QM, Geoforce GT 530M (it's ****.. look it up..), a whopping 4 gigs of RAM.. etc..

I have no issues in there..

If a computer is much worse than mine (such as running a integrated graphics chip...) maybe you should check out the minimum system requirements for the game again. . . . . .

Yes UL blows holes in your graphics/FPS, but it's not that bad. . .

You should probably avoid opening your mouth before your eyes...per http://www.swtor.com/info/faq, the minimum system specs are a Core2 Duo with an nVidia 7800. I'm "rocking" a Core2 Quad with an nvidia 430 (upgraded from the 8600 I had at launch). So, yeah, I'm not impressed that you can do better than me with a much better computer.

And I wanna say i'm suprised this topic is still going but.. i'm not.. Stop complaining, it's been four months now, if people can't learn the fight in that long, theres some serious problems.. not to mention by this time even on a class with changes you should know how to do more than 2500 DPS... which is all you need..

Well, I was doing around 2500 DPS before the last patch, which dropped me to about 1500. [And that was my lurker DPS -- my 500K dummy dps was about 3200 at the time, up to 3600 now (full 192 for both) -- yeah, not great, just want to make it clear that I do take an active interest in l2p]

Simply, at it's core, Underlurker is literally "can you distinguish right from left" while being preoccupied with another activity.

Sadly, it becomes evident that the majority of the human race lacks this ability.

That or don't stand in stupid. I'm surprised no one is complaining about Sword Squadron. Pugged for another guild who managed every time to stand in the red circles. I somehow managed to be the only one who avoided the circles despite being the only meele and a maruader who are known to be attracted to circles like flies on honey :p

Edited by FerkWork

That or don't stand in stupid. I'm surprised no one is complaining about Sword Squadron. Pugged for another guild who managed every time to stand in the red circles. I somehow managed to be the only one who avoided the circles despite being the only meele and a maruader who are known to be attracted to circles like flies on honey :p

Yeah...there's quite a lot I just can't wrap my brain around when it comes to pug groups and mechanics. Even simple mechanics blow people up. For instance: I was doing HM SnV. We were at the infiltration part. I go green team with this guy. Guy proceeds to aggro 3 droids while we're fighting green team. I get a bit frustrated and I'm like dude you can't be doing whatever it was you were just doing. And he rage quits because he says he didn't aggro anything, and since I was calling him out on it I was the jerk. I'm thinking to myself dude said he's done it before. This shouldn't be so complicated.

But that illustrates why I am on the fence about even Underlurker. I know the DPS requirements are probably a bit too tight. But, the cross phase (if we ignore the computer issues people are having which I think is a separate issue altogether) and people can't tell left from right. Or they stand right in a red circle where the rock drops. Or they just don't hide behind rocks. There's only so much we can do in terms of balancing or even dumbing down, and some of those people who just don't even care to learn or adapt or try or do something other than hack and slash with no care in the world are the ones who are the most problematic in UL, and more so in general in all pug groups. I don't know how to help them. I don't know how to communicate with them. And, I don't know how to clear a raid with them. Nerfing content just isn't going to solve their problem unless we make this one of those "just spam hitting 1 until the boss dies" type thing. And, that's no solution either.

Has no one talked about the constant horrific Underlurker glitches yet?

We are running 5 DPS, all parsing at 2700 or better, on SM Underlurker. We have cleared SM on both new ops and are going into HM. All 8 of us are in full 192s or better, fully augmented.

Guess what? None of that matters when you get hit for ~50K with Devastation when THE CROSS WAS GREEN. Somewhere between 1/2-1/3 of the time, Devastation one-shots at least one person FROM A GREEN CROSS.

Or when Rage Storm kills 2-3 people, while it's still channeling. As in, 5 seconds left before Rage Storm hits, whoops, all the rocks were on the opposite side of the room and now you're 3 DPS down because they were still running for a rock, still had 5 seconds left to get behind a rock, but died to Rage Storm while Rage Storm was channeling.

Or when Underlurker jumps to no one after Rage Storm, instead jumping to some random point at the opposite side of the room, and your Mara has no speed boost and can't make it there in time (or peoples' speed boost is down trying to make it behind a rock before randomly getting killed by Rage Storm as it's channeling).

Or when you die because a rock you were standing nowhere near magically manages to hit you when it comes down--as in, you're well outside the red circle, and die anyway.

I've submitted multiple tickets over the last couple of months, and exactly none of this has been fixed.

We are running 5 DPS, all parsing at 2700 or better, on SM Underlurker. We have cleared SM on both new ops and are going into HM. All 8 of us are in full 192s or better, fully augmented.

Guess what? None of that matters when you get hit for ~50K with Devastation when THE CROSS WAS GREEN. Somewhere between 1/2-1/3 of the time, Devastation one-shots at least one person FROM A GREEN CROSS.

Or when Rage Storm kills 2-3 people, while it's still channeling. As in, 5 seconds left before Rage Storm hits, whoops, all the rocks were on the opposite side of the room and now you're 3 DPS down because they were still running for a rock, still had 5 seconds left to get behind a rock, but died to Rage Storm while Rage Storm was channeling.

Or when Underlurker jumps to no one after Rage Storm, instead jumping to some random point at the opposite side of the room, and your Mara has no speed boost and can't make it there in time (or peoples' speed boost is down trying to make it behind a rock before randomly getting killed by Rage Storm as it's channeling).

Or when you die because a rock you were standing nowhere near magically manages to hit you when it comes down--as in, you're well outside the red circle, and die anyway.

I've submitted multiple tickets over the last couple of months, and exactly none of this has been fixed.

I've never heard of any of these things. I was aware of the cross not showing itself correctly on some people's machines, but I've never encountered any of the stuff you're talking about. I don't know if you're exaggerating or not, but man if you aren't that sucks.

Thank you for the excellent example... Rage storm does damage during the channel and finishes with a knockback... getting behind a rock and in the green area prevents this damage. Yes people can die during rage storm cause they are taking damage... not a bug. I wish you luck on underlurker in HM when you get to it if you think rage storm is not a channeled damage ability.

On SM (Have no idea of this works on HM), if you have a PT tank you can negate a stupid amount of rage storms damage by dropping oil slick under the boss and have everyone stand underneath for AOE heals as well. When I mean stupid amount, my PT tank took less than 1000 dmg overall during the cast

Also as pointed outs its a channelled ability where the damage comes during the channel not at the end.

Also remember to jump to update your position. Yes it sucks by this problem happens in other instances as well so it's not like a major deal (Pylons in PvP come to mind). Bugs and lag happen but it can be worked around.

Edited by FerkWork

I've never heard of any of these things. I was aware of the cross not showing itself correctly on some people's machines, but I've never encountered any of the stuff you're talking about. I don't know if you're exaggerating or not, but man if you aren't that sucks.

No, it happens. I personally haven't seen any of those issues in the last few weeks, but prior to that I've saw them quite frequently. It's kinda the same with Coratanni, lots of people have no issues there either, but others have her randomly reset, attack the pod, etc. Both fights are (were) incredibly buggy but mostly stable now (at least from my experience).

Edited by lpope

Thank you for the excellent example... Rage storm does damage during the channel and finishes with a knockback... getting behind a rock and in the green area prevents this damage. Yes people can die during rage storm cause they are taking damage... not a bug. I wish you luck on underlurker in HM when you get to it if you think rage storm is not a channeled damage ability.

I guess I wasn't clear, Rage Storm is doing the knockback during its channel. I'm aware that it does damage during the channel, but it's not supposed to do the knockback DURING the length of the channel, just at the end. And we're getting knocked back with 5-6 seconds left before the knockback is supposed to come.

No, I am not exaggerating about the glitches we consistently get during this fight. We have one-shotted every boss in the new ops except Underlurker, mostly because it's hard to get a run at him without a glitch. We've tried jumping to avoid rubber-banding, particularly in the cross, and it doesn't seem to matter. Mostly the person in the off-tank position is the one getting hit for ~50K in a green cross, but not exclusively--I'm DPS, was near full-health, almost died from Devastation in a green cross.

Our Coratanni glitches were so bad we don't even try to farm SM Ravagers for Ultimates. We never had her attack the escape pod. Mostly we'd just get her to run to the escape pod, kill Pearl, run to the escape pod, get a loading screen, and be looking at Coratanni and Pearl again. Exit out, run back, and die to grenades thrown through the closed door before we even got into the room. Exit Area, reset the instance, and die to grenades thrown through the closed door before we even got to the boss encounter.

The main bug that happens other than the cross doing all kinds of stupid things is that when you stand behind a rock, you can randomly get 'killed by it falling on you' even though it has already been down and the green square is there. Your stood behind it and you just randomly die and the death text says the rock killed you.

On SM (Have no idea of this works on HM), if you have a PT tank you can negate a stupid amount of rage storms damage by dropping oil slick under the boss and have everyone stand underneath for AOE heals as well. When I mean stupid amount, my PT tank took less than 1000 dmg overall during the cast

Also as pointed outs its a channelled ability where the damage comes during the channel not at the end.

Also remember to jump to update your position. Yes it sucks by this problem happens in other instances as well so it's not like a major deal (Pylons in PvP come to mind). Bugs and lag happen but it can be worked around.

jump to update should have been fixed maybe a year ago. seriously. Bw can run with the "L2P NOOBS" elitests(seeing as how the beta was all nim raiders) or they can decide that the rest of the customer base is important. The SW IP can only shield them from so much before EA starts canning people. Wildstar tried designing for hardcore raiders and they already laid off 60 dev staff. this is a business, nothing more. the devs will find that out sooner or later.

Does the underlurker bug? Yes it does.

I have seen most of the bugs desribe here myself a while ago and I agree that it is bad.

But I also agree with others: most people die because they don't follow the mechanic (like mixing up left and right) or they can't do the proper damage.

When I see people telling me they are doing lots of damage and the parser says they were at 1600-2400 I can but laugh.

Had a random run with 3 guildmates, 1 randomheal, 3 random dds. The underlurker went enrage, if we survided that long and nobody got himself killed by standing on the wrong side of the cross or inside a red circle (shadow dd was in the back and, what a miracle, he survided every cross with at least 50% life, if you don't have a tank in the back, you need to use your defensive cooldowns). Then we swapped the 4 randoms for 1 more guild dd and on the first run we beat him down to 5% pre enrage. That is five, people almost killing the underlurker (three twinks, two overgeared mains I have to admit)

Another thing if you raid without a voicechat then that is your choice but don't blame it on the game if you can't coordinate your group.

It's like running hardmode flashpoints (like battle of rishi) with 168-180 gear and beeing mad because they made the flashpoint too hard (yes I had a few people do that)

If you want an operation that you can bash through like nothing can stop you and ignore every mechanic there is then go Eternity vault or karragas palace in storymode. And if you want to beat mechanics that should kill you but don't try denova nim. You might get surprised.

And if all else fails and you just can't get through TOS because you don't want to follow the mechanics, wait for the nerf that should come at some point in April. If you are lucky they nerf SM too.

I guess I wasn't clear, Rage Storm is doing the knockback during its channel. I'm aware that it does damage during the channel, but it's not supposed to do the knockback DURING the length of the channel, just at the end. And we're getting knocked back with 5-6 seconds left before the knockback is supposed to come.

No, I am not exaggerating about the glitches we consistently get during this fight. We have one-shotted every boss in the new ops except Underlurker, mostly because it's hard to get a run at him without a glitch. We've tried jumping to avoid rubber-banding, particularly in the cross, and it doesn't seem to matter. Mostly the person in the off-tank position is the one getting hit for ~50K in a green cross, but not exclusively--I'm DPS, was near full-health, almost died from Devastation in a green cross.

Our Coratanni glitches were so bad we don't even try to farm SM Ravagers for Ultimates. We never had her attack the escape pod. Mostly we'd just get her to run to the escape pod, kill Pearl, run to the escape pod, get a loading screen, and be looking at Coratanni and Pearl again. Exit out, run back, and die to grenades thrown through the closed door before we even got into the room. Exit Area, reset the instance, and die to grenades thrown through the closed door before we even got to the boss encounter.

That cora reset bug is caused by having pets out. There is only room for the amount of people the phase is set for, attempting to bring more (pets) resets the fight.

Silly bug, but still a bug. At least pets dont steal AoE heals anymore

Does the underlurker bug? Yes it does.

I have seen most of the bugs desribe here myself a while ago and I agree that it is bad.

But I also agree with others: most people die because they don't follow the mechanic (like mixing up left and right) or they can't do the proper damage.

When I see people telling me they are doing lots of damage and the parser says they were at 1600-2400 I can but laugh.

Had a random run with 3 guildmates, 1 randomheal, 3 random dds. The underlurker went enrage, if we survided that long and nobody got himself killed by standing on the wrong side of the cross or inside a red circle (shadow dd was in the back and, what a miracle, he survided every cross with at least 50% life, if you don't have a tank in the back, you need to use your defensive cooldowns). Then we swapped the 4 randoms for 1 more guild dd and on the first run we beat him down to 5% pre enrage. That is five, people almost killing the underlurker (three twinks, two overgeared mains I have to admit)

Another thing if you raid without a voicechat then that is your choice but don't blame it on the game if you can't coordinate your group.

It's like running hardmode flashpoints (like battle of rishi) with 168-180 gear and beeing mad because they made the flashpoint too hard (yes I had a few people do that)

If you want an operation that you can bash through like nothing can stop you and ignore every mechanic there is then go Eternity vault or karragas palace in storymode. And if you want to beat mechanics that should kill you but don't try denova nim. You might get surprised.

And if all else fails and you just can't get through TOS because you don't want to follow the mechanics, wait for the nerf that should come at some point in April. If you are lucky they nerf SM too.

We've gotten through TOS multiple times. We're not bothering with SM anymore because we don't need any more 192 gear that drops from there. That doesn't negate the Underlurker bugs.

We're not missing mechanics. We rarely get anything but a green cross (and when we do it's generally because someone has died [due to bugs] or the boss has jumped to the opposite end of the room when no one is there, and the Mara can't make the run in time), but someone still frequently takes ~50K damage from green-cross Devastation. Last week it was me, and if I hadn't popped Force Barrier, the first AOE from the adds would have killed me--went from almost fully healed to almost dead in a green cross.

Our DPS on that fight ranges from 2700 on the low end (off-tank respecced) to 3300. We are not missing the DPS check. And we're using voice chat, which is how I know we're getting the knockback in Rage Storm 5-6 seconds before it's coming, because the main tank is counting it down.

The main bug that happens other than the cross doing all kinds of stupid things is that when you stand behind a rock, you can randomly get 'killed by it falling on you' even though it has already been down and the green square is there. Your stood behind it and you just randomly die and the death text says the rock killed you.

I got killed by a rock that had already fallen, but I was on my way to get behind it. It said it killed me for 0 damage.

Or when Rage Storm kills 2-3 people, while it's still channeling. As in, 5 seconds left before Rage Storm hits, whoops, all the rocks were on the opposite side of the room and now you're 3 DPS down because they were still running for a rock, still had 5 seconds left to get behind a rock, but died to Rage Storm while Rage Storm was channeling..

Just an FYI if your going into HM... umm Rage Storm is not a "Casted" attack, meaning the damage doesnt not come at the END, it is a channeled attack, and in SM can hit between 3-15kish PER TICK. There just so happens to be a knockback at the end of the channel but.. thats not the attack, staying out in rage storm is literally staying out an face tanking that attack, of course your going to die doing it like that. If your not behind your rock within litterally 1- maybe 2 sec of rage storm in HM, your dead.. ~30k ticks in there..

So to reiterate.. rage storm is not a cast, it is a channel, doing constant damage to your group that are not behind rocks, then has a knockback at the end.. so kill your ads quicker...

Our DPS on that fight ranges from 2700 on the low end (off-tank respecced) to 3300. We are not missing the DPS check. And we're using voice chat, which is how I know we're getting the knockback in Rage Storm 5-6 seconds before it's coming, because the main tank is counting it down.

Something about this statement sounds really fishy; out of curiosity, have you put the underlurker on focus target for yourself and enabled focus targets cast bar? If you are getting the knockback that early it should basically be happening before or at the beginning of the channel which if you have someone actually counting it out just sounds... fishy.

The main problem with Underlurker isnt with the encounter. Its with people not understanding that, with 3.0, DPS is now mobile and everyone needs to take notice of that and change tactics accordingly.

Sentinels/Marauders? Haha. Yeah.....unless you have really high dps, this fight is going to be very bad for you.

Get a group together with only mdps and you will not beat out the enrage timer(4 minutes). Bottom line is that mdps simply do not/can not go mobile and put up effective numbers to down this boss. Sorry if that bothers you, but its the truth.

The DPS needs to be able to deal with the falling rocks, the cross mechanics, the adds, the boss AND still be able to burn everything fast and quick. YOU CANNOT JUST STAND AROUND AT ANY TIME DURING THIS FIGHT. You need to continue to work your rotation through the ENTIRE FIGHT. Ranged DPS should be a requirement imo due to the above mentioned fact that mdps simply cannot remain mobile and the fight requires high mobility and a high degree of dps. At this time, MDPS cannot provide either and I suspect this is not going to be the last encounter of this type.

Edited by DarknessInLight

Just an FYI if your going into HM... umm Rage Storm is not a "Casted" attack, meaning the damage doesnt not come at the END, it is a channeled attack, and in SM can hit between 3-15kish PER TICK. There just so happens to be a knockback at the end of the channel but.. thats not the attack, staying out in rage storm is literally staying out an face tanking that attack, of course your going to die doing it like that. If your not behind your rock within litterally 1- maybe 2 sec of rage storm in HM, your dead.. ~30k ticks in there..

So to reiterate.. rage storm is not a cast, it is a channel, doing constant damage to your group that are not behind rocks, then has a knockback at the end.. so kill your ads quicker...

I saw 45k my first time in HM... Because of this there is plenty of time after rocks fall during collapse, and when rage storm starts. But this is a coordination check and requires a player pay attention to something other than their action bar.

Reducing add health would make this transition easier though, which I support. SM adds should not be at 90% health as HM when your average pug probably can't do 90% of the dps of a HM raider if given the same gear.

The main problem with Underlurker isnt with the encounter. Its with people not understanding that, with 3.0, DPS is now mobile and everyone needs to take notice of that and change tactics accordingly.

Sentinels/Marauders? Haha. Yeah.....unless you have really high dps, this fight is going to be very bad for you.

Get a group together with only mdps and you will not beat out the enrage timer(4 minutes). Bottom line is that mdps simply do not/can not go mobile and put up effective numbers to down this boss. Sorry if that bothers you, but its the truth.

The DPS needs to be able to deal with the falling rocks, the cross mechanics, the adds, the boss AND still be able to burn everything fast and quick. YOU CANNOT JUST STAND AROUND AT ANY TIME DURING THIS FIGHT. You need to continue to work your rotation through the ENTIRE FIGHT. Ranged DPS should be a requirement imo due to the above mentioned fact that mdps simply cannot remain mobile and the fight requires high mobility and a high degree of dps. At this time, MDPS cannot provide either and I suspect this is not going to be the last encounter of this type.

You didn't specify HM or SM so I can only assume you were talking about SM due to the OP. In that case, my raid group has two mdps (one constantly on the boss) with me jumping around to the adds. It hasn't been a problem, even when there's bad rock placement and I'm too far away from the last add to damage during that phase.

To say you can't bring mDPS in this fight is wrong as we do it with two guardians. If you can't beat it with all classes then somebody is doing it wrong in SM. I haven't attempted Underlurker on HM, but we shall see how that goes.

It's ridiculously over difficult. It's a STORY mode Operation, not Hard mode. Story mode Ops should be easily completable by most players - 90%+. IMO, HM should be 30-40%, NiM should be 5%. There is no reason voice chat should ever be needed in any SM Operation imo. SWTOR is a casual game, these Ops are not created with that in mind.

If Bioware were capable of releasing tons of content, I wouldn't give a flip, but they aren't...this is it. They killed all older Ops by removing the incentive and reward from doing them, these 2 newest ones are all players have for "good" Ops content now. The difficulty needs to be toned down.

Simple fix, cut the adds health and damage in half. It's STORY MODE!

Disagree with you hear. Story mode should provide some sort of compentence and coordination test even to Casual Players. There should be at least 1 Ops boss that pushes you to further improve your skills. Last Round was Draxus, and even that was a bit easier than I believe should be. Underlurker should be a roadblock

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.