The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Where is SWTOR going? And will the movies have the impact BW hopes?

FerreusSteelTip

I agree SWtOR isn't going to last much longer and I reluctantly do so because I enjoy the game. However you can always tell when a TV series is about to go under because you start seeing that awkwardly inserted lesbian sex scene in them, attempting to get the late night HBO dirty old men and special interest groups crowd to watch. Apparently now everyone in the Republic military and secret service and even the Sith are hopeless romantic bisexuals. History just says that's a sign of a sinking ship in the entertainment industry. Edited by Criosdh

I agree SWtOR isn't going to last much longer and I reluctantly do so because I enjoy the game. However you can always tell when a TV series is about to go under because you start seeing that awkwardly inserted lesbian sex scene in them, attempting to get the late night HBO dirty old men and special interest groups crowd to watch. Apparently now everyone in the Republic military and secret service and even the Sith are hopeless romantic bisexuals. History just says that's a sign of a sinking ship in the entertainment industry.

10/10 I lol'd.

But anyways, while I won't comment on the direction it's headed, I will say that the sequel movies will have no impact whatsoever, if not then very little, on SWTOR. Lots of other series have MMOs based on their lore and have had movies and you didn't see any sort of revitalization with them. It's not you OP, but some people are sure delusional if they think the movies will do any good for SWTOR. :rolleyes:

I agree with most of what you say..

SWTOR/BW/EA must make a marked improvment in order to retain and draw players.

The DEV 2015 projection if it lives up to it may indeed kep the game going..I hope so.

We shall see what we see....

Dog out ....

i think Ferrus and you guys are smoking some weird stuff if you actually think this game is "going under" anytime soon.

this game is gonna last the full 10 years that EA has the license for, and even after that, they may get an extension.

Edited by Virus_Bot

i think Ferrus and you guys are smoking some weird stuff if you actually think this game is "going under" anytime soon.

this game is gonna last the full 10 years that EA has the license for, and even after that, they may get an extension.

I agree. It's all about the money. Every day, every game in this genre including monsters like WoW are "doomed" and people make arguments ... some logical some passionate ... as to why.

Just like this one, they have all been wrong.

Edited by Malkosha

Yavin has been put in the game so it can cash in on the new Star Wars movie. Its as simple as that. The recent lack of proper updates, lack of nicely designed cartel stuff and the rehashing of everything and anything plus the longer life spans of Cartel packs all points to that direction -the 1 or 2 artists are working on Episode 7 stuff.

I firmly believe that once they have cashed in, 2016 will see everything closed down unless the movies drives HUGE numbers of players to the game, and in its current state, that will simply never happen

Edited by GrimRita

Yavin has been put in the game so it can cash in on the new Star Wars movie. Its as simple as that. The recent lack of proper updates, lack of nicely designed cartel stuff and the rehashing of everything and anything plus the longer life spans of Cartel packs all points to that direction -the 1 or 2 artists are working on Episode 7 stuff.

I firmly believe that once they have cashed in, 2016 will see everything closed down unless the movies drives HUGE numbers of players to the game, and in its current state, that will simply never happen

Sky Be Falling.

Prophesying your doom ever since TOR launched. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Oh Rita, you are so grim.

Much better than your first video, you kept the language in check and were far more concise, well done.

Now on to the content.

This game is still going to around for longer than a year. Even halfassing it, they are making a LOT of money off of it.

Also, I think your interpretation of the costume designer might be a little optimistic. I hope you're right but all I think it will be is an appearance tab. Guess we got to wait for the mystery blog post. Still.

The movies will have less impact on SWTOR than expected. BW Austin can't count on anyone but themselves for the success or failure of their game. That means hard work and creative vision going into quality content. Counting on the Star Wars hype gravy train to make up for their mistakes is a loser's mentality.

BW Austin cannabilized TOR's staff to work on Shadowrealms (despite lying and having Musco post "Shadowrealms will not impact TOR in any way") and the results of that are now clear- every aspect of TOR has suffered.

When they say they are buckling down on story going forward, it just means they are reducing the scope of their ambitions to match the reduced budget/staff they now have to work with, even though Shadowrealms is gone.

Edited by Projawa

Much better than your first video, you kept the language in check and were far more concise, well done.

Now on to the content.

This game is still going to around for longer than a year. Even halfassing it, they are making a LOT of money off of it.

Also, I think your interpretation of the costume designer might be a little optimistic. I hope you're right but all I think it will be is an appearance tab. Guess we got to wait for the mystery blog post. Still.

You know, for ***** & grins the other day, I logged into Age of Conan - just for a comparison of how things work, FPS issues, etc,

One of the few things i REALLY liked about AoC was the appearance or "vanity" armor tabs. You can layer whatever armor look you want over your actual functioning armor for any cosmetic appearance you want to maintain without gutting items to do so. Of course, they don't have moddable or "adaptive" gear, so it's easier, but given the sheer cost of changing your look in SWTOR (48K per piece of gear if you count in augments being removed, times 7 pieces minimum if we don't even consider offhands or mainhands - that adds up SUPER quick). So if this new "costume designer" is just that - a vanity armor tab...I am 110% ok with that.

I'm just worried Bioware will manage to screw that up too though.

You know, for ***** & grins the other day, I logged into Age of Conan - just for a comparison of how things work, FPS issues, etc,

One of the few things i REALLY liked about AoC was the appearance or "vanity" armor tabs. You can layer whatever armor look you want over your actual functioning armor for any cosmetic appearance you want to maintain without gutting items to do so. Of course, they don't have moddable or "adaptive" gear, so it's easier, but given the sheer cost of changing your look in SWTOR (48K per piece of gear if you count in augments being removed, times 7 pieces minimum if we don't even consider offhands or mainhands - that adds up SUPER quick). So if this new "costume designer" is just that - a vanity armor tab...I am 110% ok with that.

I'm just worried Bioware will manage to screw that up too though.

Oh I agree an appearance tab system would be great, I'd just like to be able to get rid of the stupid little doodads on armour peices like so many others, but really doubt that is what the costume designer actually is.

Hopefully the new SW movies will also bring us a new SW MMO.

It's sorely needed.

We can only pray at this point. The sad thing is, EA would be the one to make it again. I believe Disney sold them the rights to future Star Wars games for like 10 years maybe?

The movies aren't likely to get any new or returning players for SWTOR. Unless Bioware launches a marketing campaign that is timed appropriately.

The movies will revitalize the interest people have in the Star Wars IP. A well timed marketing campaign for the game, even without new content or features, would allow Bioware to capitalize upon that interest and would get a fairly good ROI without even needing the development teams to do much of anything.

However, the game's current state won't hold their interest for long. Especially once the new players it brings in realize this game has very little to do with the movies. New content and features would help retain them for a bit longer. Future releases of more new content and features would prolong that retention.

I half expect to see some kind of marketing blitz from BioWare when the movie studios begin promoting the new movies. I think that might be a good time to bring back the 12x exp buff for a few weeks as well to help new and returning players get into the high level content more quickly, but it is possible this could give many new players a false impression of the leveling experience and create friction for them later when they go to level an alt and the buff isn't there any longer. And there are always the ones that will want to disable the buff and take the slow path. So perhaps some alterations to the 12x exp system would be in order before it could be used best in this scenario.

Regardless, I'm curious to see how it all unfolds. I doubt SWTOR is going away any time soon, but I do think new content and the time-line it is delivered within will determine whether we get 2-3 years or 3-5 years before Bioware throws in the towel.

You gave your opinions in organized halves (PvP then PvE), spoke clearly and concisely, and had (I thought) a solid conclusion. Keep going, keep improving. :)

thank you. I appreciate it :)

AND I'm doing other things on the channel besides star wars. Some you might find interesting. I would ask everyone who views my channel to give a looksee at what else I've posted.

Today alone I posted 3 new videos.

10/10 I lol'd.

But anyways, while I won't comment on the direction it's headed, I will say that the sequel movies will have no impact whatsoever, if not then very little, on SWTOR. Lots of other series have MMOs based on their lore and have had movies and you didn't see any sort of revitalization with them. It's not you OP, but some people are sure delusional if they think the movies will do any good for SWTOR. :rolleyes:

Well you can look at LOTRO with the Hobbit movies. They get a LITTLE boost in numbers but then...quickly go back to what it was.

Bioware is the delusional one if they think the movies will save them

I agree with most of what you say..

SWTOR/BW/EA must make a marked improvment in order to retain and draw players.

The DEV 2015 projection if it lives up to it may indeed kep the game going..I hope so.

We shall see what we see....

Dog out ....

Yeah, I'll give it to January to see if this game is improving or declining, then I'll either sign up for another year or I'll leave for good.

I think it's you who's high man lol.

I'd look to games like ESO to have longer lifespans than this game.

And I'm not saying that because I'm a hater who wants it to die. I've spent lots of money and a LOT of time on this game.

I just know when something isn't moving. And this isn't moving.

we'll see though by the end of the year if that changes.