Where is SWTOR going? And will the movies have the impact BW hopes?

FerreusSteelTip

I agree. It's all about the money. Every day, every game in this genre including monsters like WoW are "doomed" and people make arguments ... some logical some passionate ... as to why.

Just like this one, they have all been wrong.

Not quite. Final Fantasy 11 died, the old Everquests died. Many an SOE MMO has died.

It DOES happen.

WoW haters always say that about WoW.

Only thing that will kill that game is if the ones running it get bored.

No. This game isn't considered canon. Disney and the Lucas committee will not give bioware a definitive answer. They won't confirm or deny, only say to do what they're doing.

Recently, SOE was bought out and renamed Daybreak. They did the original Star Wars Galaxies which was very beloved.

Eventually, Disney will want an MMO in the new republic setting. They'd be more inclined to go with Daybreak than Bioware, as this game - SWTOR - has only ever gotten 'meh' reviews over the years, and there is STILL a clamor for a return to Star Wars Galaxies.

This is also Bioware's ONLY MMO, and Daybreak - formerly SOE - has many. They have more experience.

What holds this game together is what holds LOTRO together - fans of the lore. HOWEVER, there will never be another lord of the rings MMO. As the Tolkien society is very strict with what can be done in games and what can't. Disney and Star Wars however is progressive. They will push their boundaries.

This mmo right here will not suit their needs, as it's set thousands of years BEFORE the movies. So they can't connect well to it.

That means SWTOR here is living on borrowed time. Bioware knows it. Even now they are sucking up to disney, moving writers around, and trying to get in good so they can at least get a foot in the door of the new universe.

There are rumors that a KOTOR esque game is in the works, but set in the new republic era.

The moment a new star wars property hits the MMO scene, this game is dead no matter what.

Yavin has been put in the game so it can cash in on the new Star Wars movie. Its as simple as that. The recent lack of proper updates, lack of nicely designed cartel stuff and the rehashing of everything and anything plus the longer life spans of Cartel packs all points to that direction -the 1 or 2 artists are working on Episode 7 stuff.

I firmly believe that once they have cashed in, 2016 will see everything closed down unless the movies drives HUGE numbers of players to the game, and in its current state, that will simply never happen

The thing is, the lore around Yavin is all gone. Disney deems it 'legend'. As the original movies had Yavin as a rebel base and mentioned nothing of 'darkside' presence there.

That's the problem. This game isn't canon yet, if it will ever be. So it can't connect to the new disney model.

Much better than your first video, you kept the language in check and were far more concise, well done.

Now on to the content.

This game is still going to around for longer than a year. Even halfassing it, they are making a LOT of money off of it.

Also, I think your interpretation of the costume designer might be a little optimistic. I hope you're right but all I think it will be is an appearance tab. Guess we got to wait for the mystery blog post. Still.

Thank you, and to clarify. I gave this game a year to impress. Not that it'll be dead in a year. Just that in a year, we will all know whether Bioware can save the game or if it's beyond them. Then 2016 will either be a year of growth or a year of decline, and 2017 might be the year it dies IF everything goes badly.

We can only pray at this point. The sad thing is, EA would be the one to make it again. I believe Disney sold them the rights to future Star Wars games for like 10 years maybe?

The details are kept under wraps. It says multi-year deal. Lucasarts was about to be bought by EA outright before Disney acquired the whole brand. That is what led to the deal.

BUT, disney is focusing on the movies first. They'll likely give EA an exclusive 5 year deal, then see where it ends up.

Everything in the industry is so fluid though. You could see anything really.