Operation Victory Tournament - *Cancelled*

EricMusco

• Dev Post

I know you guys will have a lot of questions so let me hit some of what has come up so far.

Why not play Temple of Sacrifice?

Two reasons for this. First, it was a numbers game. Only a fraction of the players who are in Ops at 60 are in ToS and so we wanted to make sure the first round was accessible to as many people as possible. Second, our plan was that the finals (the second round) would be played in ToS so that the Revan encounter was a part of the tournament finale.

Why not announce the rules sooner?

We wanted to make sure we knew exactly what we would be playing and how we would be playing it. While we were working on the Coratanni changes, we were hesitant to post any rules.

Why announce the cancellation so late?

We were exhausting everything we could to get the competition in place, to start on time. We didn't want to pull the plug unless we really felt we had too.

-eric

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is comical, release an Ops clearly bugged when 3.0 hit, have an exploit associated with it, be inconsistent with the penalties and bans associated with who exploited, claim the ops is now fixed (or better), release a tournament around BW's innovative set of operations only to cancel it cause a 3 month+ old Ops still can't be fixed by the glorious and brilliant develops of BW.

Truly comical.

Oh and tease us with a Black Purple crystal as a reward for being a sub. No thanks, sub canceled 1 month ago.

I know you guys will have a lot of questions so let me hit some of what has come up so far.

Two reasons for this. First, it was a numbers game. Only a fraction of the players who are in Ops at 60 are in ToS and so we wanted to make sure the first round was accessible to as many people as possible. Second, our plan was that the finals (the second round) would be played in ToS so that the Revan encounter was a part of the tournament finale.

We wanted to make sure we knew exactly what we would be playing and how we would be playing it. While we were working on the Coratanni changes, we were hesitant to post any rules.

We were exhausting everything we could to get the competition in place, to start on time. We didn't want to pull the plug unless we really felt we had too.

-eric

Exhausting everything = #onedeveloper

And the "fail train" that is Bioware Austin continues. All the remains now is for the fanboys to step up and talk about what a great job they did in not going through with something that could have embarrassed the brand with bugs, rather than hold them responsible for the existence of the bugs. Unreal.

-eric

To your first answer: It's absolutely fair that thematically speaking you'd want Rav first to have the second tournament on TOS. But the part where you talk about guilds being in Ravagers but not TOS? Okay, take this with a grain of salt, but approximately ZERO guilds that would ACTUALLY compete in these tournaments with any chance of placing in the top 100 are not at least 10/10. None. And when I say 10/10 I'm not making an HM elitist comment. I mean SM. You're telling me that you gauged the reason based on people that would not be able to compete? I.... dont understand that line of thinking. It's a competition. You can't choose a raid to use as a speed run tourney based on the idea that the people who can't come within 100 places of winning may not be 10/10 SM.

To your second: That's fair, but in the future, you need to announce the event earlier, to give time for the rules, then the event. If you ACTUALLY followed through with the event without cancelling or delaying, there would have been a very small window to truly prepare given possible stealth comps, aoe cleave comps and whether or not you have to have a true comp for an SM (4 dps 2 heals 2 tanks) or if you can nuke the ant hill with 7DPS 1Healer (totally possible).

To your third: I understand the reasoning behind announcing the cancellation late. No harm no foul. HOWEVER: why cancel? Just postpone.

I was REALLY looking forward to this.

I think this still would have been a great tourney even if you let us proceed with the Rarely bugged Coratanni fight. If you would have given the teams two consecutive weeks, then I would expect that all teams would get a good pull on Coratanni.

Now that this event is out there, this will be a good time to pick our brains about the rules (ccannot stealth past trash, etc.)

So now you are telling us that "The entire tournament will run over a few weeks" only means two weeks, one in Ravagers to filter out all the casuals, and another for ToS to determine the winner? In that case, good riddance, it would have been a terrible tournament anyway.

You know, I really like how SWTOR has been clearly trying to change things up this year. It's obvious from posts about changing the nature of live streams, changing Cantinas, etc, that Bioware Austin knows what the problems are.

The problem is for every 2 steps forward, we get 2 and often 3 steps back. We're going to do a new format for cantina, but we cancel the first one (yes, Boston has bad weather, but given that Pax is this weekend, and the announcement was several weeks ago, it seems suspicious to me). Change plans for streams, haven't done a stream in nearly 2 months. Help organize PvE speed running, cancel at the last second with no warning.

Basically, we need to stop being told how things are going to get better.

They need to actually get better.

So now you are telling us that "The entire tournament will run over a few weeks" only means two weeks, one in Ravagers to filter out all the casuals, and another for ToS to determine the winner? In that case, good riddance, it would have been a terrible tournament anyway.

No one in there does it say two weeks.

Cancelling it rather than just a postponement means they don't anticipate ever fixing all the Coratanni bugs.

Poor Eric, being the punching bag for all of management's poor decision making and resource allocation.

Feedback: a speedrun contest is still a great idea. Just make sure the cash prize isn't trivial.

All these ops bugs, it really feels like BW has regressed to releasing ops with the polish of 1.0 EV/KP.

Edited by Projawa

Next time you announce something like this please use common sense and think things through first before getting our hopes up. Releasing the rules would also be helpful.

This. Not to be a ****, but you spend weeks upon weeks writing, editing, revising, approving, and publishing Developer Blogs, and yet you just pulled this out of a hat without giving it any forethought? Fix your priorities, then fix your operations, then try this again.

Hey folks,

I will cut right to the chase, we are cancelling our ESL Operation Victory competition. Our reason revolves around the Coratanni encounter. I know many of you raised concerns about the issues related to the encounter, and we agree.

We spent a lot of time this week testing bug fixes to see how viable the fixed version would be in a speed running environment. We have applied improvements to the Coratanni encounter as of tomorrow’s patch but there are still situations that could impact players focused on a timed run.

We thank you for your feedback around the contest and should we decide to do something like this in the future, we will let you know. Also, let us know your feedback on the concept of doing a speedrun contest. As we explore options like this in the future it would be great to know your thoughts.

-eric

Though I wasn't going to participate (don't really do Ops), this is a bummer. I think it's a cool idea and is another nice way for PvE focused people to get more out of the game. I hope you try again ASAP.

You know, I really like how SWTOR has been clearly trying to change things up this year. It's obvious from posts about changing the nature of live streams, changing Cantinas, etc, that Bioware Austin knows what the problems are.

The problem is for every 2 steps forward, we get 2 and often 3 steps back. We're going to do a new format for cantina, but we cancel the first one (yes, Boston has bad weather, but given that Pax is this weekend, and the announcement was several weeks ago, it seems suspicious to me). Change plans for streams, haven't done a stream in nearly 2 months. Help organize PvE speed running, cancel at the last second with no warning.

Basically, we need to stop being told how things are going to get better.

They need to actually get better.

After the "patch" that was 3.1, I was kind of looking forward to this. Out of curiosity, what's the pay like over at BW Austin? I'd like to apply. I mean, I don't have any qualifications, but I'm thinking that won't be a problem. :rolleyes:

*facepalm*

I can understand the initial motivation to get this rolling along with the other initiatives like the Choose Your Path promotion, to try to get some buzz going about this game again and build some momentum, and cancelling/postponing is definitely better than running it with the Op still broken, but seriously?

Don't announce a concert until you have the venue good to go. Don't announce a raffle until you have the prize good to go. And don't announce a raid tournament until you have the raid good to go.

-eric

You don't sound positive that the tournament will be going ahead at a later date - is this because nothing is arranged yet and you don't want to get anyone's hopes up by saying it will be happening in the near future, or are there concerns that you may not be able to address the remaining Coratanni issues soon? Or something else entirely?

Two reasons for this. First, it was a numbers game. Only a fraction of the players who are in Ops at 60 are in ToS

-eric

I hope this means the Devs know the reason no one does ToS and are going to nerf Underlurker to the point where people no longer need ask for achievements.

Edited by DarthZaul

this is utterly hilarious

for 3 months now, we've all been complaining about coratanni and we've finally been able to get the devs to look at it. and they still cant fix it in time.

they went ahead and booked this event in pure and utter ignorance of the situation. proof POSITIVE that no devs play this game, or understand the current bugs.

this is clownshoes. bw has gone full blown clownmode.

Edited by Pagy

this is utterly hilarious

for 3 months now, we've all been complaining about coratanni and we've finally been able to get the devs to look at it. and they still cant fix it in time.

they went ahead and booked this event in pure and utter ignorance of the situation. proof POSITIVE that no devs play this game, or understand the current bugs.

this is clownshoes. bw has gone full blown clownmode.

LOL - I have to agree. These new operations are SO full of bugs still it'a amazing. How about falling thru the FLOOR in Coratanni fight? We have this happen often as well.

So you are saying everyhing is fine but what is underlurker doing here, did he go for walk?

http://imgur.com/IJ4vosD

You had 3 months to fix this bugs and you didnt do anything about it and now you embarrassed yourself. I hope you will learn a few things from this.

Very COOL you have a snapshot of this. We had the EXACT same thing happen this weekend when one guy REZ'd and Underlurker jumped to him. LOL

Be honest. You guys figured our that you would have to get off of your asses and actually do some work to administer the contest, and upon realizing that you cancelled it. Now you can go back to sipping your coffee and doing your best to ignore us as you get paid to do the least that you can do while you thank us or our patience and apologize for your mistakes.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: