Operation Victory Tournament - *Cancelled*

EricMusco

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There go those awful casuals, ruining the game they keep afloat for you to play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about every player subscribed to the game, I just didn't think at the time I wrote that post that this tournament was made for casual players, it was a speedrun tournament after all.

But apparently, Bioware wanted every level 60 players to participate in it and give them a participation award. In that case, they shouldn't have called it speedrun because such an elitist term immediately implies this tournament is only for progression players who have cleared 10/10 SM in the first week of 3.0 and are now farming HM bosses.

Edited by Jerba

I will not speak about the disappoitment with the cancilng of the tournament and go to feedback ..

I think it would be great idea to include time measuring directly in game (in nightmare it already is implemented) .. would be cool to have som etime based achievements included.

And any way to attract people back to ops is good. The tournament was great, but terribly wasted opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about every player subscribed to the game, I just didn't think at the time I wrote that post that this tournament was made for casual players, it was a speedrun tournament after all.

But apparently, Bioware wanted every level 60 players to participate in it and give them a participation award. In that case, they shouldn't have called it speedrun because such an elitist term immediately implies this tournament is only for progression players who have cleared 10/10 SM in the first week of 3.0 and are now farming HM bosses.

Well we are not top raiding guild .. one ops in a week but we wanted to participate anyway - just to get some adrenalin to opses :-) ... if well organised it could be fun for wide range of players.

Why did they delete the pve video! hahaha pve tournament ha ha ha

It isn't insulting in any way. It's a parody, so I don't know why a mod deleted it. If it got deleted, then someone felt ashamed of what they had done and couldn't have dealt with the truth that parody showed. The management of this game in last months is a parody itself.

It isn't insulting in any way. It's a parody, so I don't know why a mod deleted it. If it got deleted, then someone felt ashamed of what they had done and couldn't have dealt with the truth that parody showed. The management of this game in last months is a parody itself.

It was deemed too "inflammatory" apparently.

Still a couple of threads on the subject in the PvP section though. :D

Edited by Darth_Wicked

I'm sure it was not. And personally, I see nothing wrong with a contest for "power players." If I want to participate in such an event, I am as free as anyone else to become a "power player."

But apparently, Bioware wanted every level 60 players to participate in it and give them a participation award,

Where did you get this notion?

Where did you get this notion?

Why else did Musco write:

Only a fraction of the players who are in Ops at 60 are in ToS and so we wanted to make sure the first round was accessible to as many people as possible.

Obviously, the tournament was made to keep players interested in the game so they have something to do while we wait for GU 3.2, and since it is an operations tournament, everyone would also have to be a subscriber to be able to participate.

I analyzed it in depth in one of my previous posts, so I'll just quote it instead of writing everything up again. :)

Of course, Musco's posts today shed a whole new light on this tournament. Before, I was wondering why Bioware would organize such a tournament for the top 1% of PvE players when they already get their nightmare timerun rewards. I just could not believe why they would pay ESL money to organize such a tournament when they cannot get back that money from returning/new players.

Then he wrote:

And it all made sense to me. From the start, this tournament was made to keep players tied to the game. We are currently in the bizarre situation where despite having gotten a new expansion recently, there isn't much to do at endgame besides the weekly raid. For operations, either you one-shot SM or you are stuck on a fight like Underlurker with no chance to progress no matter how often you wipe.

Also, SoR drew in a lot of KotOR fans who mostly play single player games and have no interest in group content so they want to find ways to have them run raids as well. The Choose Your Path promotion shows that they want to keep players subbed until 3.2 in April/Spring.

This tournament was just another stepping stone. Remember when we got the e-mail about the speedrun tournament and I wondered why they would advertise it if it is only for the top progression guilds.

Looking back now, I realize that from the start it was a perception problem. By itself, the term "speedrun" has a negative, elitist connotation; mentioning ESL did not help. Progression players like speedruns, casual players couldn't care less.

I'm 100% sure now that Bioware intended for all level 60 players to take part in the Ravagers speedrun and give them a participation award (like a title, a pet or even a mount) and then do the ToS speedrun for the real progression guilds to give them cash prices and the Celebration tickets.

Like I wrote earlier, esports tournaments are the wrong way to get the solo or casual players more involved in the game. The just don't want to go through that hassle, they want to login, play with their friends, do some dailies, maybe run a SM raid if they have a good group. They are not the kind of players to do a speedrun tournament like you hoped them to, no matter how much you advertise it.

• 4 years later...