Operation Victory Tournament - *Cancelled*

EricMusco

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason I don't like this is because of what will happen if the top 5 teams have identical classes, say all their DPS are snipers, well now it's going to be "you're gimping your raid if you're not a sniper" all over these forums.

Are you suggesting that there is a type of tournament that could possibly be arranged where more than only the top 1% have any chance of winning?

No, what I am saying is that arranging this tournament, of which only a small percentage of players even have a chance at winning, while the rest of the player base languishes under the numerous bugs, game play issues and the like is absolutely ridiculous.

Instead of wasting time with this tourney, the Development team needs to be fixing bugs and pushing out updates much more frequently than they are now. It doesn't matter if only a small group of EA/BW employees are working on this tourney since those people are better used making this game better for the majority of the players, not stroking the epeen of a few players.

It boils down to one thing, and that is this constant pattern of ignoring bugs and game play issues for so long that players get angry and frustrated and EA/BW trying to pull a magicians trick by waving something like this tourney in one hand in hopes we ignore all the game problems hiding in the other.

Hey folks!

Just to address some of the questions I am seeing...

Cortanni Encounter - We are working on some fixes around that encounter and intend to deploy them on Tuesday to ensure the encounter is in a better place before we head into the competition.

Rules Specifications - I have seen quite a few questions around things like skipping trash, boss mechanics, etc. We will be publishing all of that information in the full rules announcement with ESL by next week's start of the competition. We want to make sure the competition is fair, but also understand the nature of speedrunning.

-eric

So...fixing bugs last minute in the hopes that they won't be egregious come competition time, and not disclosing the full rules until just before the contest?

Um..ok. That makes...no sense, but hey, whatever!

GO BIOWARE!

So...fixing bugs last minute in the hopes that they won't be egregious come competition time, and not disclosing the full rules until just before the contest?

Um..ok. That makes...no sense, but hey, whatever!

GO BIOWARE!

In other words, "I know this is your first attempt at a tournament ever, but you should run it perfectly because I feel entitled to the best of everything."

One day, armchair devs will realize that BW is made up of human beings.

In other words, "I know this is your first attempt at a tournament ever, but you should run it perfectly because I feel entitled to the best of everything."

One day, armchair devs will realize that BW is made up of human beings.

1stly - eat me. Secondly - running it "perfectly" ? Did anyone say "Perfect"? No.

But shoving a contest into things last minute, NOT having the rules sussed out far enough in advance so that teams can form and practice (remember, there are weekly lockouts to deal with), and the worst part - not even truly fixing existing bugs that could potentially wreck the tournie for teams if they occur ahead of time - that's just bad form.

I never said I wanted "the best" of ANYTHING...but perhaps "something other than poorly thought out" isn't too much to ask?

Lastly - eat me.

running it "perfectly" ? Did anyone say "Perfect"? No.

But shoving a contest into things last minute, NOT having the rules sussed out far enough in advance so that teams can form and practice (remember, there are weekly lockouts to deal with), and the worst part - not even truly fixing existing bugs that could potentially wreck the tournie for teams if they occur ahead of time - that's just bad form.

I never said I wanted "the best" of ANYTHING...but perhaps "something other than poorly thought out" isn't too much to ask?

Once again, it's their first tournament ever, it's very understandable that they don't know the best way to run one. Instead of throwing a fit like an uncontrollable child, maybe you should consider being constructive.

And yes: child.

eat me

This doesn't exactly do much for you.

Edited by idnewton

Once again, it's their first tournament ever, it's very understandable that they don't know the best way to run one.

To me, this sounds like you are already expecting more tournaments after this one. I'd say that's a little too optimistic; I highly doubt this is more than a one-shot deal but I'll happily be convinced otherwise. :)

No, what I am saying is that arranging this tournament, of which only a small percentage of players even have a chance at winning, while the rest of the player base languishes under the numerous bugs, game play issues and the like is absolutely ridiculous.

Instead of wasting time with this tourney, the Development team needs to be fixing bugs and pushing out updates much more frequently than they are now. It doesn't matter if only a small group of EA/BW employees are working on this tourney since those people are better used making this game better for the majority of the players, not stroking the epeen of a few players.

It boils down to one thing, and that is this constant pattern of ignoring bugs and game play issues for so long that players get angry and frustrated and EA/BW trying to pull a magicians trick by waving something like this tourney in one hand in hopes we ignore all the game problems hiding in the other.

I can agree with that.

The problem is, only the favored as per Guild will participate. I may be will liked by some members of my current guild, but to be favored to participate in an 8 man raid for those prizes, I do not think so. I was told by one of the leaders that I was low man on totem pole. I told him that has always been the story of my life. Because of this, I think you guys should choose randomly by looking at the records of those who did the Raids. You choose the 8 man raid teams for Pub and Imp sides. By doing this you will remove the key item (favoritism). :)

Vann

Edited by DeenaMuro
Mis spelled word and want to add more

Birthday and reward for hardcore PVE player that completed HM version of this ops (Ofc all winner will be in full 198) a little different thing. Why Bioware created that contests if its oblivious that hardcore guild like Zorz or hardcore raid will win no matter how hard trying other people.

In my opinion more better if they add mirror instance let's call it "Time-run instance" so when raid-leader click "Time-run mode" everyone enter to instance and they get bolster to full 198 gear.

Bolster to full 198? you kidding don't you? I probably will participate, because why not and when people like Zorz will claim they prize i'll be happy for them, Because i know price for getting hm kills and getting loot from them, they prizes will be well deserved.:)

Holy ****... I can't believe you dropped the ball AGAIN

Snave just hosted a very successful 1v1 tournament this weekend. All you had to do would be to organize a PTS server and make it a PvP tournament with 8v8 Huttball or something. I know you're trying, I really do, but why do you shaft the PvPers so much?

PVE tournament?!

signed up

Bolster to full 198? you kidding don't you? I probably will participate, because why not and when people like Zorz will claim they prize i'll be happy for them, Because i know price for getting hm kills and getting loot from them, they prizes will be well deserved.:)

Exactly.

In case you didn't check your e-mails, they also mentioned the tournament there: http://i.imgur.com/pcofBRY.jpg

Not much new information, though I find it interesting that they sent out this e-mail. After all, most progression guilds will read the forums or dev tracker regularily and already know about it. My guess is they really want to promote this tournament to everyone else as well and show that SWTOR is a competitive game.

Also, I couldn't help but notice the "Choose Your Path" phrase at the bottom. Either they copy & pasted it from a previous e-mail, or it has become their new slogan and will from now on be part of every SWTOR ad.

I do find "Choose Your Path to Victory" kind of ironic when you consider how many Republic abilities are bugged and Imperial players have an advantage. :cool:

I disagree. The progression guilds already get world first kills, 198 loot and titles and decorations before everyone else; they don't need a tournament to win even more prizes.

It's way too early to say that the winner of this tournament deserved his first place but if one raid group will just faceroll this tournament and have a wide lead over everyone else, it's not a fair competition and I would not give them any props for being the winner (and also hope they won't go around boasting that they won).

Edited by Jerba

Wow cool idea, I love it. nice one BW. :):cool:

However as So many others have said

way to short of period of time to let your customers know. :eek:

if said operations were both bug free and all terms of the tournament was out at the time of publish

I guess a week or two's notice would not have been so bad. :o

my suggestion would be to apologies and delay this Tournament till both Operations have been fixed correctly and the full terms of the Tournament are out in the open. ;)

good luck to all of the Swtor community. :D

To me, this sounds like you are already expecting more tournaments after this one. I'd say that's a little too optimistic; I highly doubt this is more than a one-shot deal but I'll happily be convinced otherwise. :)

Well, there's no reason to believe there won't be more in the future. It doesn't exactly hurt BW to partner with ESL. But either way, my point remains. Regardless of whether we'll have more tournaments in the future, this one is still their first attempt, there haven't been any in the past, so again it's understandable that they don't handle it perfectly.

Well, there's no reason to believe there won't be more in the future. It doesn't exactly hurt BW to partner with ESL. But either way, my point remains. Regardless of whether we'll have more tournaments in the future, this one is still their first attempt, there haven't been any in the past, so again it's understandable that they don't handle it perfectly.

It doesn't hurt them? :eek:

I am 90% sure that this tournament and the prices are paid for by Bioware and that they asked ESL to do the tournament. That cost alone is somewhere in the 5 figures.

In addition, they had to divert staff working on other projects to create the promotional resources and in-game items for this event.

All of this for a tournament that only a small fraction of the playerbase will participate in. I highly doubt that this tournament will draw in the amount of new/returning players to cover the cost.

And of course, if my assumption is correct and this is just a recycled Shadow Realms tournament, I wouldn't be surprised if they are all too happy to drop ESL as soon as this tournament is over and all debts are paid.

Edited by Jerba