UI killing FPS: This should be priority #1 to fix

Cupelixx

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as with other problems we've seen, it appears to be very random -- I don't seem to have any difference in performance between UI on and UI off, and other people it makes a massive difference.

At least in this case, we can readily point to something and clearly show it's a problem.

Agreed, would be a shame if Bioware acknowledged something early for once wouldn't it? :p

They acknowledge it but to improve the situation the only step they can take is to upgrade the game engine itself, which will require more funding. This alpha version of Hero Engine has been pushed beyond it's limit, EAWare Austin can't possibly make it even better. Well let' see what comes after 3.2, finger crossed for engine upgrade, 64-bit client and Direct X 11.

Yeah, as much as I would love to see some optimization coming our way, the fact that it was all built on a poorly performing Alpha build of a game engine that was modded beyond recognition means we can't even get the optimization that the stock engine got.

So a whole new engine or a serious coding revamp of the whole game...too much cash involved either way. They'll continue patching up so it continues chugging along at a minimum clip. Heck if they can't polish a very small expansion do you believe they'll do that for the graphic engine :-(

Having the same issues...

Turning GUI off = jump at 30+ fps

Turning GUI on = back to 20-30 FPS in WZ / fleet.

Even on lowest settings. Unplayable in WZs atm. :(

Unplayable warzones is the worst part for me. I'm working on alts because at least that is mostly playable. It sure would be nice to know if there's a fix coming or not.

I don't really have this problem, or if I do, it goes unnoticed. I have a good gaming rig, and I can play comfortable on Ultra at all times. I do drop to 30 fps sometimes, but I don't even notice it unless I have the fps displayed. Server side lag spikes are the biggest problem I have on the game. I don't see much difference between 30 and 60 and 100 fps. Before I knew how to turn on the FPS counter in game, I thought I had a solid 60 at all times on Ultra because one can't really notice more than a small difference between 30 and 60. I confirmed this by turning my settings down to Low and playing on solid 100+ for a bit, and saw zero performance improvement.

I don't really have this problem, or if I do, it goes unnoticed. I have a good gaming rig, and I can play comfortable on Ultra at all times. I do drop to 30 fps sometimes, but I don't even notice it unless I have the fps displayed. Server side lag spikes are the biggest problem I have on the game. I don't see much difference between 30 and 60 and 100 fps. Before I knew how to turn on the FPS counter in game, I thought I had a solid 60 at all times on Ultra because one can't really notice more than a small difference between 30 and 60. I confirmed this by turning my settings down to Low and playing on solid 100+ for a bit, and saw zero performance improvement.

The difference doesn't register for everyone. I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS very easily. I can distinguish between 60 and much higher (as I mentioned well over 90 FPS). Going from 60 to 30 is extremely jarring. Even if some people can't tell the difference (or don't care), they shouldn't settle for sub-par performance.

And when you turn your graphics all the way down and you still have those issues, even with a very nice computer, the frustration goes through the roof.

If the graphics settings doesn't affect it that means it's likely your CPU that's causing the bad framerate. It's possible this could be fixed by getting a better CPU to power through it, though I'm not suggesting that that should be necessary.

They acknowledge it but to improve the situation the only step they can take is to upgrade the game engine itself, which will require more funding. This alpha version of Hero Engine has been pushed beyond it's limit, EAWare Austin can't possibly make it even better. Well let' see what comes after 3.2, finger crossed for engine upgrade, 64-bit client and Direct X 11.

Hmm, game runs fine before 3.0, game runs badly after 3.0, and you suggest the only solution is to fix the engine? Apparently logic is not strong with this one.

If the graphics settings doesn't affect it that means it's likely your CPU that's causing the bad framerate. It's possible this could be fixed by getting a better CPU to power through it, though I'm not suggesting that that should be necessary.

I AM running and old i7. But I remember running 16m DF/DP all the time back in 2.x with no issues what so ever. 16m TR/ToS is impossible for me because of the frame rate drop. Although I've been told by a few others in my guild that they don't experience issues.

I AM running and old i7. But I remember running 16m DF/DP all the time back in 2.x with no issues what so ever. 16m TR/ToS is impossible for me because of the frame rate drop. Although I've been told by a few others in my guild that they don't experience issues.

I'm on an i5 2500k heavily overclocked. My i7 920 ran the game poorly, my 2500k runs it poorly, and I've seen people on current gen i5/i7 running poorly. Upgrading to fix performance in this game is a huge gamble at best. I could go rebuild my system with a high end i5 or a 5820k. But I don't see why I should have to do that when anything else I've thrown at my system runs beautifully. I'm not about to needlessly spend that much for something that may or may not help for ONE game.

It's quite clear that a large part of the FPS drop comes directly from the UI. I still have my old i7 and it's the same story there, runs fine without the UI. I would wait for a patch before upgrading hardware just for this game.

I'm on an i5 2500k heavily overclocked. My i7 920 ran the game poorly, my 2500k runs it poorly, and I've seen people on current gen i5/i7 running poorly. Upgrading to fix performance in this game is a huge gamble at best. I could go rebuild my system with a high end i5 or a 5820k. But I don't see why I should have to do that when anything else I've thrown at my system runs beautifully. I'm not about to needlessly spend that much for something that may or may not help for ONE game.

It's quite clear that a large part of the FPS drop comes directly from the UI. I still have my old i7 and it's the same story there, runs fine without the UI. I would wait for a patch before upgrading hardware just for this game.

Should we start a counter to keep track of the days this goes without being addressed? Never mind actually fixed lol.