The 50k+ HP approach to PvP

Cretinus

You enter a WZ/Arena. You check your team mates and then you see that a couple of them are on >50k HP. You don't even need to inspect their gear or expertise. Cause you KNOW that they're on hardmode-PvE-gear bolstered to less than 1250 expertise, and you KNOW that they will drop like flies without adding anything of value to the WZ/Arena.

Why is this happening more and more? Why is it that people still don't know that it's better to have greens with a rating of 162 bolstered up to maximum expertise than super-dooper-PvE-gear with a rating > 192 bolstered to nothing?

Can BW please provide a comprehensive explanation on expertise and bolster to these people?

Thank you.

Edited by Cretinus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You enter a WZ/Arena. You check your team mates and then you see that a couple of them are on >50k HP. You don't even need to inspect their gear or expertise. Cause you KNOW that they're on hardmode-PvE-gear bolstered to less than 1250 expertise, and you KNOW that they will drop like flies without adding anything of value to the WZ/Arena.

Why is this happening more and more? Why is it that people still don't know that it's better to have greens with a rating of 162 bolstered up to maximum expertise than super-dooper-PvE-gear with a rating > 192 bolstered to nothing?

Can BW please provide a comprehensive explanation on expertise and bolster to these people?

Thank you.

Well, they'd only know that if they came on the PvP forums. I think the issue is how non-intuitive bolster is. A primer on how it works in game would be a good idea. Or attaching a flat stat to each piece of non-PvP gear.

Unless they are a tank with fortitude augs.

Also, if you put together a certain appearance for your character, you may not really want to have to throw together a second set (probably an appearance that you don't like as much) and wear it. If you don't really care for warzones and are just doing them for comms so that you can get DR relics, you may not feel like dealing with gear.

A simpler way to minmax the bolster is 168 rating greens, easily purchased off the GTN on the cheap. That's what I do on alts after transferring any available comms over. It helps that I'm Biochem so I can always provide myself with cruddy green implants too. I've stepped into a match (on an alt) bolstered to 1990 expertise, functionally capped.

As for HP totals, in my PVP gear I sport 50.7K HPs. Woe the person who expects a quick kill based off my HP total.

I'm sorry guys... but it's regs, and when my jugg hits 60, I'm not wasting comms on 55 basic gear. "Min/maxing" short-term PvE gear is a waste of time, IMO.

Unless you level by pvping alone (in which case you should have plentyful comms for proper pvp gear anyway) the rishi and yavin quest greens > anything else untill exhumed.

I take it that using a full PVP brutalizer set from 2.9 is bad too?

55-59 Brut is quite good. In 60s...I'm not so sure. I never tried it since I just saved comms from about 58-60 and got a bunch of exhumed. I did notice, however, that I was getting better overall stats with an un-augmented exhumed earpiece/implant vs my 28 purple augmented Brut earpiece/implant.

Edited by teclado

Unless you level by pvping alone (in which case you should have plentyful comms for proper pvp gear anyway) the rishi and yavin quest greens > anything else untill exhumed.

What I would do is to stockpile as many basic comms as you can by convert wz>basic sub level 40, and then once you hit 50 buy a full set of campaign. This will give you both a setbonus and you can also buy damage proc relics with basic comms that work in PvP.

I can think of a few reasons:

Conquest

Relics fresh at 60

Acheivement hunting

Confusion about bolster (when I was a pve'er I thought that gear was better)

Decorations

Bored of flashpoints

I dont like it any more than you do, till I find one with a red name :p love them sexy 15k crits

Thank you.

The issue is that people don't care. They are their for their daily/weekly and conquest for their guild. There is no real relevant reason to get 162 gear.

I would add though that BW/EA could do something as simple as place a note in the patch notes, or even run a check ingame for people who queue with less than 2018 and let them know that they can buy 162 pve gear with basic comms on oricon. Thus it won't actually cost them any money, and further, once the sell timer is over, redeem that for creds. Or if they get a few gears quickly, get their basic comms back.

What would actually help immensely, make oricon vendors available in the pvp area. You could easily reduce the training area down to 2 rooms, bounty/agent and warrior/inquisitor, and give a room to Oricon level vendors. That way people have extremely easy access to 162 gear.

Edited by Anyakaschala

Thank you.

Or there are 2 situations:

1) You see 50k hp guy and ragequit. But you don't realise that he might have his pvp gear in the inventory (he did dalies or something) and he is about to put it on.

2) you see about 50k hp sniper and you ragequit. But you don't realise that many top snipers use hp stacking, while their stats are ok.

There is no need to buy any PvE gear with comms. Craft or go to the GTN and buy greens <162 item rating for all slots. You will be fully bolstered in WZs and spend less than 50k to boot. This will be your de facto pvp set until you earn WZ comms to purchase starter tier pvp.

I just luv it when people assume I am in PvE gear because I have 50 thou hitpoints. Oh, yeah, I am a DPS FotM in PvE gear....

Unless you're a well-geared pvp tank, it pretty much does mean you're in pve gear. My operative healer is in full DR augmented gear, and that toon doesn't even have 42k hp.

There is no need to buy any PvE gear with comms. Craft or go to the GTN and buy greens <162 item rating for all slots. You will be fully bolstered in WZs and spend less than 50k to boot. This will be your de facto pvp set until you earn WZ comms to purchase starter tier pvp.

however, most raiders have basic comms to burn, thus they could buy a full set of 162 purples with just basic comms and not spend a single cred

Over the course of the last month I have attempted to explain bolster to somewhere between 50 and 100 people. About 75 have listened, said thank you, and changed their gear to something that bolsters better, and 25 have told me to hang myself from my porch. But its the internet, and you'll get that.