Petition: Character Name Purge Part II

JidaiDerriphan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your biggest complaint is that you are worried about others complaining?

And if you are subbed up, it wouldn't affect you anyhow. But here you state "If one of my characters had to be

renamed I would be more than pissed off." But it's somehow NOT ok for people that have had an original name for years and someone else took it to be mad?

Wrong it would as said if you bothered to read I also have F2P accounts.

As for your quote above it makes no sense what's so ever. You seem to think I was all for the last name purge I WAS NOT! Where in my post does it say that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But cannot do anything about what's already gone before.

For the reasons given in my post.

All this will bring is thread after thread of complaints for those who lost names

Thread after thread of complaints for those who still did not get the name they wanted.

If I picked a unique name for my toons you have no right to it!

As for your " just create another name if you lose one - what's so hard about that?!

Well back at you, what's so F****** hard with coming up with your own name to begin with?

Someone is always going to complain about something - that is unavoidable. If a game company's sole goal is to avoid doing anything that is going to anger any mmo'er, that game company is going to fail.

My argument is that there is more angst among those playing right now who can't pick the names they want to play with - why should they be locked out of playing that name by people that haven't played that character in 6 mos and never played it much when they did.

Picking a character handle first is just a convention that old-time mmo'ers have gotten used to but it doesn't give you any claim to it or any "rights" to it - BW is just letting you use it. They should let someone that plays the game use it, not the guy banking 150 names who stops his sub and goes to jail for 6 mos. Military could be an issue but I think military personnel get leave time (and I know several people that are in the army who play regularly or at least occasionally).

They don't need a name purge. They need to overhaul their system and divorce PlayerID's from the name. To wit, how Legacy are no longer unique, NAMES need to no longer be unique.

A number of games do this, they need to look at those systems and take notes and make their own implementation of this. Name purges are short-term stop-gaps for a system that is outdated in the land of MEGASERVERS.

This is obviously the answer to the problem. Furthermore the fact that they dont allow spaces in names is also so terribly old fashioned and incredibly annoying.

They don't need a name purge. They need to overhaul their system and divorce PlayerID's from the name. To wit, how Legacy are no longer unique, NAMES need to no longer be unique.

A number of games do this, they need to look at those systems and take notes and make their own implementation of this. Name purges are short-term stop-gaps for a system that is outdated in the land of MEGASERVERS.

A hundred times this. Enforcing unique names in an MMO is antiquated and unnecessary.

So your biggest complaint is that you are worried about others complaining?

And if you are subbed up, it wouldn't affect you anyhow. But here you state "If one of my characters had to be

renamed I would be more than pissed off." But it's somehow NOT ok for people that have had an original name for years and someone else took it to be mad?

welp you should have started playing before that other person... that's the way life goes. some times you win one some times you loose one. so to answer your question at the end of that ... no its not ok for you to use a name you say you have used for years because someone else beat you to it. suck it up and come up with another name or switch servers.

Someone is always going to complain about something - that is unavoidable. If a game company's sole goal is to avoid doing anything that is going to anger any mmo'er, that game company is going to fail.

My argument is that there is more angst among those playing right now who can't pick the names they want to play with - why should they be locked out of playing that name by people that haven't played that character in 6 mos and never played it much when they did.

Picking a character handle first is just a convention that old-time mmo'ers have gotten used to but it doesn't give you any claim to it or any "rights" to it - BW is just letting you use it. They should let someone that plays the game use it, not the guy banking 150 names who stops his sub and goes to jail for 6 mos. Military could be an issue but I think military personnel get leave time (and I know several people that are in the army who play regularly or at least occasionally).

You don't decide when a name should be taken away from a player,Bioware does. You can whine all you like about how they beat you to the name you wanted but that doesn't give you the right to that name.

Edited by amona

New level requirements-

My recommendations:

Free to play-Logged in past 30 days- safe.

Preferred:

Level 55 -safe

Level 54 or below-must have logged on once in past 4 months to be safe.

Level 30 or below-must have logged in the past 2 months to be safe.

As always paying subs are safe.

This should clear up a lot of awesome names taken up by level 50s at launch.

Nope. Name purge not needed. Come up with something unique

Deployed. Unable too login to the game since Oct. plus will be a few more months before I can login again

Server moved ****ed us already with forced name changes. I didn't select my server. My toons were there waiting for new names. *********** democrats :rak_04:

Edited by Liquor

A hundred times this. Enforcing unique names in an MMO is antiquated and unnecessary.

I will say STO got the names right. You have a unique server name. It's global and there can be multiple players named "Liquor" you see it in friends list and mails. Liquor@uniquiename

Other MMOs can do something similar.

I will say STO got the names right. You have a unique server name. It's global and there can be multiple players named "Liquor" you see it in friends list and mails. Liquor@uniquiename

Other MMOs can do something similar.

And that's quite literally the ugliest naming convention I've ever seen.

Nope.

Hate it.

Don't want it.

Didn't like it in STO, wouldn't like it here.

It also publicly attaches me to all my alts and I REALLY don't like that idea.

Edited by Rankyn

You don't decide when a name should be taken away from a player,Bioware does. You can whine all you like about how they beat you to the name you wanted but that doesn't give you the right to that name.

I'm not sure what in my post you're responding to. I thought i made it clear that players (including me) don't have any "rights" when it comes to names. In BW's last purge they took names from players that weren't using them and made them available to new/active players. Basically that's all that anyone's asking for here (barring a new naming system which is preferable but 99x less likely to happen any time soon). Where's the confusion?

Edited by Savej

Only it wouldn't work. There is always a unique identifier, except that it would stop being the NAME.

Which brings up the problem of people being able to identify all of your alts, even the toons you don't want people to know of.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Which brings up the problem of people being able to identify all of your alts, even the toons you don't want people to know of.

Unless your characters all have a unique id that isn't shared. There are many ways to do it.

welp you should have started playing before that other person... that's the way life goes. some times you win one some times you loose one. so to answer your question at the end of that ... no its not ok for you to use a name you say you have used for years because someone else beat you to it. suck it up and come up with another name or switch servers.

*Shrugs* I have a founder title. I had every name locked up on every server. But I quit when the servers merged. Back now. Can't help it someone else couldn't be original so they had to use the name that I came up with. Don't call me "unoriginal."

Anyhow -- I recently transferred some characters off the dying carcass that is Jung Ma and the names that I wanted were given to me. Even though I couldn't initially use them with a newly created character. It makes me wonder if I still have those names and they are somehow locked?

A name purge wouldn't be a bad thing.. It's only bad to people that are hoarding names.

Literally the only thing Bioware needs to do with names is allow spaces within them, and a second capital letter after the space. Not required, but allowed. Surnames could be unique and display legacy would remain entirely optional.

I never had a problem naming alts in EVE Online once I realized that spaces were allowed. I could use any name I wanted, and simply make the surname unique. It's much easier to make a unique but still-realistic surname than to find a good, realistic, but unique first name, to the point where I went and bought one of those baby-names books and typically have to try six alternate spellings of a name I've actually never heard IRL whenever I make an alt.

It'd also pretty much obliterate any reason to have to do name purges, ever. Also saves Bioware from the privacy/liability issues around going to STO's name@unique system.

Edited by AdrianDmitruk

*Shrugs* I have a founder title. I had every name locked up on every server. But I quit when the servers merged. Back now. Can't help it someone else couldn't be original so they had to use the name that I came up with. Don't call me "unoriginal."

Anyhow -- I recently transferred some characters off the dying carcass that is Jung Ma and the names that I wanted were given to me. Even though I couldn't initially use them with a newly created character. It makes me wonder if I still have those names and they are somehow locked?

A name purge wouldn't be a bad thing.. It's only bad to people that are hoarding names.

but if you had the name locked up on every server then you should have no problem with keeping the name. unless someone had the name before you and you didn't have the name locked in on every server. and if you did have the name locked in on every server then wouldn't you be one of those name hoarders???

Just asking, but why wouldn't you want people to know your alts?

some players like to pretend they are real life females to trick guys into giving them stuff for free.. i actually knew a guy that did that in SWG... and yes people did fall for it :( that is just one reason im sure there are others just as sick

New level requirements-

My recommendations:

Free to play-Logged in past 30 days- safe.

I'd be fine with that.

Preferred:

Level 55 -safe

Level 54 or below-must have logged on once in past 4 months to be safe.

Level 30 or below-must have logged in the past 2 months to be safe.

Sorry, but no. If you aren't a paying customer, the name should be made available again after no more than 60 days of inactivity. "Safe" names and F2P should not coexist.

As always paying subs are safe.

This should clear up a lot of awesome names taken up by level 50s at launch.

you chose not to support the game, so you lost the names. you hoard names every night...how about if when you log in, your name is gone back to the unused pool and you get to see if it is available...no more hoarding

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.