Thinking about leaving SWTOR for SWG...

DartDaya

There are things I love about SWG even today.

Free placement decoration mechanic for housing.

Personal auction system.

Crafting system.

40 man raids, city raids.

Chat bubbles (SO much easier to communicate).

Leveling system/professions. One of the best systems in a game IMO still today. You level what you want, the more you use it the better you get at it.

NOTHING COMES EASY. That has a certain amount of appeal. You work hard for what you have in that game.

Social interaction. You need other players to buff you, heal you. Cantinas are great places to meet other players and socialize.

Ability to play outside combat professions. They have real non-combat professions if that is what you like.

I don't think any MMO has ever done crafting as well as SWG. The system rewarded you with better results for greater investment, and made crafting a viable set of true professions rather than a mere side activity.

The level of complaint I sometimes see in this game about price-gouging crafters still puzzles me. The buy-in for crafting here really isn't particularly onerous, requiring neither a heavy investment in points (which could otherwise be spent improving combat) nor a sizable stockpile of "best on server" resources gathered during their short window of availability.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me correct you it is running with permission from both Sony and lucasart prior to Disney which means Disney is not interested in SWG EMU. That permission is based on the fact the developer of the EMU do not try to sell the game in any way hence the donation. So while the license part may be true that have permission to do so.

They also require that you already have a paid copy of the original game from which to install assets. Theoretically (of course!), every SWGEmu player has already given money to SOE/LucasArts.

I'll list my top 5 memories of SWG:

• The blocky graphics (seriously, it was dated even at launch)
  • Everyone dancing in cantinas for scraps. Like some 2-bit ******s. (really? That word is censored?)
  • Everyone botting outside Mos Eisley all night long (or until the servers reset) to level up. (because playing the game was oh-so fun!)
  • Going on a tour of the planet only to find empty town after empty town that players had created and left for dead. (especially fun on the "supposedly" backwater and desolate planets like Tatooine where suddenly every desert was filled with empty housing)
  • The utter joy of playing a game set between Ep. IV and Ep. V and having stuff from ALL eras of SW show up because of "fan favor!" sentiment. It was bad enough that all the prequel stuff got shoved in there, but having stuff like HK-47 show up was just pitiful.

There's more, but just writing the list got me depressed.

And to the OP, there are no SWG developers.

There are people developing the SWG-emulators, sure, but they are not actually "developing" the game in any way.

And they can afford to be super-interactive and friendly with the community since there will never ever be anything they'll need to add or change that will upset the community.

They'll never have to say "we've streamlined the skills and abilities system to make the process better" and face an outrage from all the players out there that are afraid of change.

So of course they're "friendly".

They're not really developers of a game.

They're developers of a software that lets you play a game that they have not developed.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

I always enjoyed the SWG community.

The whole general planetary chat and 16 plus alt thing here really allows for people in SWTOR to act like jack wagons and still que up.

SWG had a smaller population, tie that up with only 2 alts per server (elders got a third) and no que for heroics, you had to play nice(er) with each other. Not to mention chat was either face to face, group or /tell only...no planetary chat channel about racism and politics.

Word got around if you acted like a dill weed, i hardly ever saw rage quitters and stuff. Maybe occasionally but certainly not like it is here. A bad name there could affect your ability to get groups together.

Wow total troll thread and you all took it hook-line-and-sinker

OP -> good for you. No one cares. This debate is only about the legality of an SWG-emu..devs..etc.

What you're doing is pure Off-Topic spamming of the general forums...And trolling doing so. It's actually quite hilarious.

Oh well, come Monday this thread will be deleted (or shortly thereafter)

So have your fun trying to recruit. If that wasn't your point for this thread then why are you still here? Go play SWG-emu...Trust me, we're ALL over it..and were before you even posted this.

I'll list my top 5 memories of SWG:

• The blocky graphics (seriously, it was dated even at launch)
  • Everyone dancing in cantinas for scraps. Like some 2-bit ******s. (really? That word is censored?)
  • Everyone botting outside Mos Eisley all night long (or until the servers reset) to level up. (because playing the game was oh-so fun!)
  • Going on a tour of the planet only to find empty town after empty town that players had created and left for dead. (especially fun on the "supposedly" backwater and desolate planets like Tatooine where suddenly every desert was filled with empty housing)
  • The utter joy of playing a game set between Ep. IV and Ep. V and having stuff from ALL eras of SW show up because of "fan favor!" sentiment. It was bad enough that all the prequel stuff got shoved in there, but having stuff like HK-47 show up was just pitiful.

There's more, but just writing the list got me depressed.

There are people developing the SWG-emulators, sure, but they are not actually "developing" the game in any way.

And they can afford to be super-interactive and friendly with the community since there will never ever be anything they'll need to add or change that will upset the community.

They'll never have to say "we've streamlined the skills and abilities system to make the process better" and face an outrage from all the players out there that are afraid of change.

So of course they're "friendly".

They're not really developers of a game.

They're developers of a software that lets you play a game that they have not developed.

You forgot that the game was buggy and mechanics broken from start to finish.

Each and every expansion released in a bugged and broken state.

No Free Form space at launch until JTL (which was probably the least buggy and broken of the expansions)

And, oh yeah, that the game was absolutely rife with RMTs and scammers in the game, which got so bad at one point that they outnumbered the actual players (or at least felt like it).

To you:

There are no SWG Developer Spacemen.

There are people developing the emulator, but no ones literally gone into space. I hope you understand that.

Edited by DartDaya

I'm going back to... Space Invaders. That was a hec of a game. And the community was awesome.... everyone hanging around the machine with their quarters in line on the console. No pushing, no shoving, no complaining... everyone just waited their turn.

I don't think any MMO has ever done crafting as well as SWG. The system rewarded you with better results for greater investment, and made crafting a viable set of true professions rather than a mere side activity.

Why people WANT this in an MMO--most of all a Star Wars MMO--is beyond me.

A smaller community means you're more likely to run into more patient people that might help you and less likely to run into jerks. Try playing on Jung Ma here. That said, I've yet to run into any on-line community no matter how small that didn't have a percentage of colossal jerks in it.

i have played all versions of SWG and i can tell you the NGE was horrible!! it turned the game into a FPS game with a horrible twitch combat. it also took your toon and moved it to the left so you could never get it centered on the screen. they took away all the classes that you could mix and match and replaced them with cookie cutter classes that you were locked into (much like this game). the combat upgrade wasn't so bad, what ticked off a lot of people was that we no longer needed to sit in line waiting for buffs. that was about it really. the really bad rubber banding really didn't start till right before the NGE hit and in the Emu there really isnt much of that happening instead your speeder blows up kuz someone shoots at you or a critter hits you and blows it up B^P

i would say the only real big thing this game has over SWG is its graphics. some of you all might say the stories but for me the stories are fairly boring after the first chapter and there isn't enough class stories, all the filler fluff quests are the worst. what SWG has over this game is you can be something other than Human, or mostly human looking. you can be a mixture of different classes, you can roam around a wide open planet, you can actually craft things your self and make things better. there is a better since of community in game, player built and run cities, so much more customization not as many cookie cutter toons running around.

i have been thinking really hard about going into the EMU and just playing that instead of this or any other MMO and to be honest im not sure whats holding me back, i really miss my Ithorian crafter.

for those telling the OP that she shouldn't be judging a game (NGE) without actually playing it first hand, trust me you dont need to, just watch a couple of videos on it that is enough or if you really want to see how it played go play ESO that game is a new age graphics version of the NGE with a few extras thrown in.

Why people WANT this in an MMO--most of all a Star Wars MMO--is beyond me.

in SWG it was the thrill of the hunt!!! at times quite literally. you had to hunt down the critter that had the best hide, or hunt down the best element of the week/month and hope you find a good supply of it and hope no one else has put down harvesters yet. then once you get all your top grade supplies you had to actually go and craft the item and there were extra bits you could do to make them even better and hope you dont get any crit failures. it was fun and exciting and if you made some top notch items you could sell them in your own store. what also made it fun was that you didn't have to go to a trainer to learn things you could go to another player and have them teach you. it let you play a Watto type parts dealer or the bartender. nearly everything in game was player made!!!

instead of playing a pre recorded story and being led down a path you wrote your own story, it was like you were a part of the movies, you got to play one of the back ground guys you see walking around. THAT was what made it all so much fun.

Edited by Edzew

Wow total troll thread and you all took it hook-line-and-sinker

OP -> good for you. No one cares. This debate is only about the legality of an SWG-emu..devs..etc.

What you're doing is pure Off-Topic spamming of the general forums...And trolling doing so. It's actually quite hilarious.

Oh well, come Monday this thread will be deleted (or shortly thereafter)

So have your fun trying to recruit. If that wasn't your point for this thread then why are you still here? Go play SWG-emu...Trust me, we're ALL over it..and were before you even posted this.

If you acknowledge that we "took it hook line and sinker", then why do you proceed to make foolish contentions like "no one cares" and "we are all over it".

Did you forget from one second to the next that there were other folks that were participating in this thread?

If you acknowledge that we "took it hook line and sinker", then why do you proceed to make foolish contentions like "no one cares" and "we are all over it".

Did you forget from one second to the next that there were other folks that were participating in this thread?

Ok, most of us are over it.

Feel better?

While SOE and LucasFilm didn't really do much when they had the license, Disney now has the license and they have new films coming out, and they may very well want to protect their properties in a much different way than SOE/Lucas did when there really were no new movies on the horizon and no need to staunchly protect your license in the same way against a small niche market.

Its a different world now, and Disney can be litigious like Apple when they decide anything is in their yard and not paying them.

While SOE and LucasFilm didn't really do much when they had the license, Disney now has the license and they have new films coming out, and they may very well want to protect their properties in a much different way than SOE/Lucas did when there really were no new movies on the horizon and no need to staunchly protect your license in the same way against a small niche market.

Its a different world now, and Disney can be litigious like Apple when they decide anything is in their yard and not paying them.

This is why I won't go anywhere near a SWG Emulator. Too many Attorneys looking to buy a summer condo... not enough lawsuits. Bad combination. If Disney ever went after the admins of the Emus I would bet they would go after the players as well... and no game is worth that nightmare.... no matter how good it is or was.

To me SWG is dead and will remain so until the IP owner brings it back.

Edited by Kyrmius

This is why I won't go anywhere near a SWG Emulator. Too many Attorneys looking to buy a summer condo... not enough lawsuits. Bad combination. If Disney ever went after the admins of the Emus I would bet they would go after the players as well... and no game is worth that nightmare.... no matter how good it is or was.

To me SWG is dead and will remain so until the IP owner brings it back.

I don't think players would have all that much to worry about if Disney went after the emus.

I don't think players would have all that much to worry about if Disney went after the emus.

I even think the emus should be fine because they require you to own the discs and therefore the content on the disks are something you own. You just cant claim ownership of the license and/or sell this item.

The emus are just providing you a server to play the game you already own on. If they opened up like a downloadable trial version or they attempted to profit, then they would have to worry about legal action.

As of now your just playing on someones server, its about as illegal as playing an old VHS in someone elses tape player that you borrowed