Thinking about leaving SWTOR for SWG...

DartDaya

I've been playing SWG for about a week now, and I must say the community is far nicer than the one on this game. I spoke to a few people over there and they told me they quit SWTOR to play SWG. And I can see why.

The developers (who work pretty much for free & get donations to keep the servers running) actually interact more with the community than any Bioware employee on this forum.

When I started playing SWG, I had no idea what to do, then a friendly member asked me if I needed help, and I said yes, and he instructed me how to play, how to kill things, how to craft etc... within an hour I knew the basics, and since then I've been getting better and better. I often speak to that person for advice.

That's what's so great about sandbox games. I can be whoever I want and do whatever I want. The people on SWG seem far more mature than this game. Far more helpful.

I've come to realize how much wasted potential this game had. I realize now that this is just a star wars theme park, that the CM is taking ove, the abundance of bugs and the lack of developer acknowledgement regarding these bugs and exploits, the fact this websites information about the game hasn't been updated in around a year.

Sure, this single player MMO has a good story with 8 classes to choose from, but to each their own

I can see why so many people were upset with the forced combat upgrade and NGE on SWG.

Inbox me if you'd like my stuff.

Edited by DartDaya

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely nothing wrong with leaving and going off to play another game, its actually normal ......

some though seem to pay to be able to let the dark side run through them and call anyone that obviously doesn't hate the game as much as they do a fanboi .. :rolleyes: and they pay to do that too

We cant be doing too badly in the forum anger stakes though , google "mmo forum anger" swtor hardly rates a mention......

Enjoy your new game hope it provides as much fun and enjoyment as swtor does for me.

Edited by OwenBrooks

I've been playing SWG for about a week now, and I must say the community is far nicer than the one on this game. I spoke to a few people over there and they told me they quit SWTOR to play SWG. And I can see why.

The developers (who work pretty much for free & get donations to keep the servers running) actually interact more with the community than any Bioware employee on this forum.

When I started playing SWG, I had no idea what to do, then a friendly member asked me if I needed help, and I said yes, and he instructed me how to play, how to kill things, how to craft etc... within an hour I knew the basics, and since then I've been getting better and better. I often speak to that person for advice.

That's what's so great about sandbox games. I can be whoever I want and do whatever I want. The people on SWG seem far more mature than this game. Far more helpful.

I've come to realize how much wasted potential this game had. I realize now that this is just a star wars theme park, that the CM is taking ove, the abundance of bugs and the lack of developer acknowledgement regarding these bugs and exploits, the fact this websites information about the game hasn't been updated in around a year.

Sure, this single player MMO has a good story with 8 classes to choose from, but to each their own

I can see why so many people were upset with the forced combat upgrade and NGE on SWG.

Yeah, I don't believe you. You're likely one of the SWG-EMU advocates recruiting.

I'd be willing to bet while the numbers there are smaller, the ratio of immature people is the same, and that they spend some of that time bashing SOE and BioWare, but you don't see that as immature.

I was a part of the SWG community for 5 years and aware of the SWG EMU, and have seen the people who come here and talk smack and act exactly as you accuse this community of acting.

So pardon me if I call shenanigans.

which EMU are you on, is it pre CU Pre NGE or a NGE EMU?

There are no SWG "developers".

There are admins that keep the servers running pretty much, but they are certainly not "developing" the game in any sense.

And it's a dead game run by people who are fanatical (well, pretty much) followers of the game, so much so that when it died they took it upon themselves to keep it running.

Of course the community is going to be "nicer" since everyone is a die-hard lover of the game as it stands and there are no changes or new evolutions of the game coming, so there's nothing to argue about.

Yeah, I don't believe you. You're likely one of the SWG-EMU advocates recruiting.

I'd be willing to bet while the numbers there are smaller, the ratio of immature people is the same, and that they spend some of that time bashing SOE and BioWare, but you don't see that as immature.

I was a part of the SWG community for 5 years and aware of the SWG EMU, and have seen the people who come here and talk smack and act exactly as you accuse this community of acting.

So pardon me if I call shenanigans.

I am with Zion. I don't question your choice, but why announce it to us? Leave us in peace. I love this game, have met a ton of mature people, and refuse to change for SWG. It had runs parts, but it's dead now.

First, SWG is operating without an official license. Expect Disney to shut it down.

Second, SWG is a niche game fileld with a much smaller playerbase and the players are the 'advocates' for the game who missed it when it was shut down. Thus, you are dealing with a much smaller population of self selected individuals (again, because technically the game is operating illegaly) who are mre apt to be 'friendly', so judging an active, open, freee to play MMO with an active, legal, right to be in existence against an 'inactive', old, technically illegal, MMO without a wide audience because they can't really advertise etc... is bad.

The 'devs' there aren't devs in the same sense of the word. They can interact with the playerbase because what they are doing is operating an MMO without a license from the owner of the intellectual property. They aren't beholden to shareholders, don't need to be seen as impartial, etc. They don't care, they are operating extra-legally.

You perhaps just missed meeting the right people on SWTOR. Even with populations reduced from launch, there are a large number of people playing and yes, just like in normal humanity, a large number of them are selfish, interested in just their own fun, and could care less about you and your fun.

Had you been on Jung Ma and had I been in a 'starter' area I know I would have helped you.

I beta-tested SWG and my opinion of the game was that it was a needless grind with an absolutely stupid 'questline' to become a Jedi (EG it made absolutely no logical sense at all). It was a moisture farmer simulator more than a 'Star Wars'™ game. I especially disliked the 'buff mechanics' and the silliness that 'entertainers' could writhe around suggestively and essentialy force tiny-sex like situations on me just to get adventuring buffs. It had some things I liked, but overall I disliked the game. It was always much more niche than other MMO's and it really did not serve the 'Star Wars' brand like it could have. It rarely felt heroic and in release felt more like a chore, but this is typical of the projects most of the developers who originally worked on it because they were stuck in their EQ mode.

But you are welcome to it. Enjoy it until it is squashed by Disney.

There are admins that keep the servers running pretty much, but they are certainly not "developing" the game in any sense.

Oh how wrong you are.

And it's a dead game run by people who are fanatical (well, pretty much) followers of the game, so much so that when it died they took it upon themselves to keep it running.

Of course the community is going to be "nicer" since everyone is a die-hard lover of the game as it stands and there are no changes or new evolutions of the game coming, so there's nothing to argue about.

Hey that's just your opinion man, you must be a die-hard lover of this game.

Edited by DartDaya

Don't get me wrong I love SWTOR, but I really do miss SWG sometimes. Yes it had its flaws but it was still the best MMO experience I have ever had to date. I'm sure its outdated now graphically, but man I had a blast with that game from 2004 to about 2009 or so. It did a lot of things right and sadly the NGE killed it as many people here are probably aware of.

Anyway I would be wary about the EMU OP. I tried it out a year or two or back, and although fun I just had a feeling it was somehow not going to last. I read somewhere the other day they have been continuing to bring it back up to what it once was during its prime and are even going to be adding the Jump to Lightspeed expansion soon. If and when that happens and the game is still up and going... I may come back.

Well enlighten me then.

What new content are they putting in the game?

How is the game evolving?

How are they developing the game?

Never said they were putting in new content.

They are developing it to pre-NGE. There was 14 publishes (i think) of the game before the NGE game out, and right now they are working on putting publish 7 into the game.

They are developing it to pre-NGE. There was 14 publishes (i think) of the game before the NGE game out, and right now they are working on putting publish 7 into the game.

Then you simply bolster OddballEasyEight's point. No one is "developing" anything for SWG.

So how are they "developing" anything?

They're trying to recreate what the game was before the NGE, fine.

That's not "developing". They aren't creating anything new.

If you want to go back to a game that died a slow and very painful death, please do so.

Don't think, though, that just because some people can't let a dead game stay dead, the game is thriving.

Then you simply bolster OddballEasyEight's point. No one is "developing" anything for SWG.

They are developing SWGEmu. They are making the game to what it was before the NGE. It's not SWG. It's SWGEmu....

Edited by DartDaya

SWG is in pretty good shape right now. CH is starting to shape up nicely, now that you can level it other than training new creatures.

Being as it is free, however, there is no need to leave this game IMO....you can remain preferred and still enjoy SWGEmu....one does not have to replace the other. Just something to think about.

Edited by LordArtemis

They are developing the SWGEmu.....how difficult is that for you to understand?

/sigh

They are not creating anything new. It's not developing - certainly not the type that a game can survive on.

In fact, what they're doing (as explained on their own site) is this:

"Q. How does SWGEmu develop the software without Sony Online Entertainment's code?

A. SWGEmu's software is written through a process known as Reverse Engineering. By applying the Scientific Method, SWGEmu's developers observe game-play, and then attempt to recreate it's experience through programming"

Recreate =/= Create

If you don't realize that, I don't know how to explain it to you.

Edited by TheNahash

I don't think you, or anyone, can.

Yeah, I sort of realized that at the first "Hey that's just your opinion man" on a reply that wasn't an opinion but a fact.

It reminded me of Ayelinna and that's how I knew it was going to be a long shot, but you never know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.