The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Action For The Ravager's Exploit

EricMusco

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. And I guess that when a forger prints money, there is no victim, so it's not really a crime either ?
i think you just compared the creation of a digital pixel tshirt to the creation of counterfeit legal tender. i hope i'm wrong. Edited by Pagy

No they cannot, it's illegal for them to do anything of the sort if you're paying your bill. I've had it happen with Comcast, and they don't have a leg to stand on in terms of charging you if they do that. And they do it frequently in places like Apt. complexes where all of the cable nodes are all contained in a single box.

Actually yes they can. Cable is a, luxury. The only thing that cant be cut if your making an effort to pay is power, or water. Utilities do not include cable.

There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

There was no crime, nobody altered the game illegally to gain advantage. The ToS is not a book of laws, it's a contract designed to cover BioWare's butt against legal action so that they have the ability to take action like they just did.

If people want to keep making ridiculous analogies, at least try sports ones. A rule was broken yes, but a crime wasn't committed.

i think you just compared the creation of a digital pixel tshirt to the creation of counterfeit legal tender. i hope i'm wrong.

Well, that's why nobody's saying the exploiters should be sent in prison and fined with exorbitant amounts of real money. You know.

Just remove their "pixel tshirts", since they apparently don't matter.

so the affect you're mentioning is your own greed and sour grapes involving your unwillingness to break the rules?

More like I'm not stupid enough to do it and if I did, I wouldn't be shocked I got punished for it for it.

it's a risk vs reward question. those that participated i spoke to all said, "pffft bw won't do anything and if they do i dont really care anymore." the risk seemed to be pretty low with most i spoke to.

Guess some of those dumba.ss's were wrong. They took the risk, took the reward and now they can take the repercussions.

if you wanted the gear, you should have got it too, and borne that risk of punishment. being envious now and turning to sour grapes because they got items and you didn't is petty and silly. your greed is your issue and your choice. again, the items other people wear in pve only helps you.

I'm envious of no cheater and greed has nothing to do with it. I play the game as it was intended. I kill a boss, I get a portion of the loot if others are not above me on the suicide Kings list. I'm sure as heell NOT going to cheat them and put my name higher so I can feel better. I'll get gear in due time, I do not need to cheat to do it.

whether or not it should be allowed is a personal question and completely subjective. if someone cheats in monopoly i may cease to play with them further because it gives them an unfair advantage because we are in opposition. however, if two games of monopoly are being held and the board on the table next to me has a cheater, my experience doesnt change and i dont spend an ounce of energy thinking about "the integrity of the monopoly playing community".

If I am in a monopoly tournament and someone cheats, I expect them to be banned from play. They ruin gaming and are not needed. Gamers are in many ways always competitive even to the smallest areas. Cheating for personal advantage is not needed and should never be supported.

im not sure what im supposed to say because, again, for the 420th time, no one is saying that rules werent broken and that punishments arent justified.

Thats just it. You should stop talking because the rules were broken. Punishment was handed out and rightfully so for breaking said rules.

Pretty cut and dry. No game needs cheaters.

but if you're telling me that they are speeding a lot in japan, i'm going to tell you that i really don't care.

I bet Japan does and I bet they do something about it when they catch speeders.

the integrity of gaming?

It's important. Learn about it, live it.

its a recreational activity. if you dont find it enjoyable, don't do it.

I find a lot of things enjoyable. Cheaters and exploiters in gaming? Not so much. We don't need them and their piss poor rationalizations of I feel good because I cheated can't believe others don't support me.

You still havent demonstrated the negative effects. all you've claimed is that "people that play fair are jealous" well thats their choice. these super greedy people feel some sort of de facto need for competition in gear that has no bearing on them probably need to take a step away from the game. because this righteous indignation and need to control what other gamers do is just as "harmful" if not worse.

Ar you telling me you cannot see how cheating affects the game and gamers. How fair play is looked at. How if you walk into a boss and just take loot vs teh guys that killed the boss and got loot are 2 entirely different things when their is an expected way to go about it. IF you can't see then there is no help for you.

It's got nothing to do with greed but a lot to do with fair play. The integrity of playing a social game.

people were afraid of big brother...now we're all trying to "get" one another...filming, tattling on twitter facebook...endless reality shows...we've become our own big brother mod of intrusive jerks.

Don't be a cheater and big brother will have no reason to bother you. Pretty simple when in the context of gaming.

Edited by Quraswren

Well, that's why nobody's saying the exploiters should be sent in prison and fined with exorbitant amounts of real money. You know.

Just remove their "pixel tshirts", since they apparently don't matter.

i still maintain my assumption that tampering with gear, mods and inventory is probably something not easily done and a manual process.

should the gear be removed? probably, but I think for the vast majority they will keep it all.

Guess some of those dumba.ss's were wrong. They took the risk, took the reward and now they can take the repercussions.

A day ban and they probably keep the gear. Not looking so dumb to me.

I'm glad you didn't cheat, honestly and seriously, I wish the whole population would have done the same then we wouldn't have this drama.

But look at it from the perspective of people who did. This exploit was knowingly left up for weeks. BioWare didn't threaten action until the week it was finally removed. It was hard to convince much of the player base that BioWare cared that they were doing it until they finally said they cared.

The best thing that came out of this is not that cheaters got a paltry day ban, but that BioWare has (hopefully) learned to be more proactive in their communication when dealing with something so severe.

Edited by Tysu_Lanx

I'm glad you didn't cheat, honestly and seriously, I wish the whole server would have done the same then we wouldn't have this drama.

But look at it from the perspective of people who did. This exploit was knowingly left up for weeks. BioWare didn't threaten action until the week it was finally removed. It was hard to convince much of the player base that BioWare cared that they were doing it until they finally said they cared.

The best thing that came out of this is not that cheaters got a paltry day ban, but that BioWare has (hopefully) learned to be more proactive in their communication when dealing with something so severe.

Exactly. Plus, BW now has set a solid and well-documented precedent for caring about exploits and punishing exploiters. From now on, people can't say that they're unaware of BW's policy regarding exploiting.

No idea there. One would hope BW removes the stuff. Theysaid they would but I don't know if they can.

Maybe they will be stupid enough to come on here or other forums and flaunt that they got to keep their gear and BW gets them in a secondary net. It's not like some of them weren't stupid enough to already do something similar.

I'm glad you didn't cheat, honestly and seriously, I wish the whole server would have done the same then we wouldn't have this drama.

It wasn't hard at all to not do it I can tell you that.

Here is how I look at that. As a gamer, I know I cannot go into a boss and loot it 22 times in a week on each toon and the boss already be dead. I just walk in and take stuff on all my alts. As a gamer I know thats an exploit. Not just in SWTOR but every MMo I've ever played. Hell, nearly every similar game to this I have ever played.

I don't need BW to make some big announcement or tell me, "HEY, don't go doing that!" I already know it wrong in the scope of MMO gaming. I don't need anyone to tell me it's exploiting. Doesn't matter if it's in game for a day or a year. It's still wrong and I know it.

Damn straight. As BW said, they need to take a bit of the blame for not getting it fixed sooner and maybe thats why some got lite punishments but gamers don't get to put all the blame on them either when knowing what they did was an exploit but they did it anyway. There is no excuse for that on the gamers part.

We know bugs and **** happens in coding. From the launch of every game to simple patches. However, everyone know to not abuse them or bad things might happen. Some got lite punishments for it, some got worse.

Edited by Quraswren

So, you find walled on street. There's 10000 dollars in it. You keep it instead of walking to nearest police station.

It's all good? No one gets hurt?

For gods sake, will everyone give these lame anologies a rest...this is not philosophy class, or a course on critical thinking....I mean other people besides myself have GOT to be sick of these...

For gods sake, will everyone give these lame anologies a rest...this is not philosophy class, or a course on critical thinking....I mean other people besides myself have GOT to be sick of these...

People think they're making a point but it's just bad rhetoric used to completely exaggerate the issue.

Would just like to point out that BW said that they 'could' remove gear.

They didn't say that they 'would' remove gear.

I just learned now from someone whose ban has just ended that their schematics were wiped, including ones that were learned legitimately, and that all of their gear is intact.

Edited by Tysu_Lanx

It's kinda fun though.

It's like people watching and witnessing a bad break up.

Ar you telling me you cannot see how cheating affects the game and gamers.
sure in some cases, not this one.

How fair play is looked at. How if you walk into a boss and just take loot vs teh guys that killed the boss and got loot are 2 entirely different things when their is an expected way to go about it. IF you can't see then there is no help for you.
yes its different. you still haven't demonstrated how it affects you.

for example, i sure on tuesday people killed hm bosses that my guild hasnt yet. this doesnt affect me. at all. how they got the gear is immaterial since the end result doesnt affect me.

i dont spend time thinking about "fair play" and "gaming integrity" when im not affected or harmed by it.

From now on, people can't say that they're unaware of BW's policy regarding exploiting.

From now on, *those* people can't say that they're unaware. My understanding is that most players don't read the forums, and that most players didn't exploits, so I'd conclude that most players are largely unaware of what happened.

Edited by eartharioch

From now on, *those* people can't say that they're unaware. My understanding is that most players don't read the forums, and that most players didn't exploits, so I'd conclude that most players are largely unaware of what happened.

Well, I don't know about your server, but the exploit and the drama around it is very well known on JC, being openly debated and talked about in Gen chat.

Well, I don't know about your server, but the exploit and the drama around it is very well known on JC, being openly debated and talked about in Gen chat.

I don't spend much time on Fleet, so I'm not sure how widespread it was on my server (The Bastion). I don't recall seeing a single mention of it in game at all regardless of where I was (and by "it", I mean the exploit while it was active or its aftermath). I'd assume a lot of people (on my server at least) are in the same position.

Not that it should matter, I was just pointing out that we can't assume that most people know what's going on because of what gets said here and on other forums. [Obviously, for your server, you aren't assuming that]

sure in some cases, not this one.

If you're cheating and trying to spin the phrase, "but I should be able to do anything I want as long as I can say, it didnt affect anyone." is in no way reason to allow cheaters to continue. Nor does it somehow mean, continue cheating.

yes its different. you still haven't demonstrated how it affects you.

for example, i sure on tuesday people killed hm bosses that my guild hasnt yet. this doesnt affect me. at all. how they got the gear is immaterial since the end result doesnt affect me.

i dont spend time thinking about "fair play" and "gaming integrity" when im not affected or harmed by it.

Well you should. If any gamers got gear though illegal means, its not the right way things should have happened or the way it was meant to happen. Simple because you do don't care doesn't mean others shouldn't. Fair play and integrity in gaming is fairly important. It may not be something you can hold but it important for a game to strive for it..

IF they can't play fair the entire scope of the game is tainted. I personally don't care for that kind of game especially when it gets to the level this exploit did. Gamers daring BW do do anything. Gamers selling cheats openly in game. On a personal level, I don't care and it affects my way of thinking about the game and it's not good.

The whole, I can do what I want as long as I can claim it doesn't affect anyone is well past worn out as an excuse to break a rule. Doesn't matter if it's in a game or real life. When fair play is ruled out and the integrity of the game is diluted, it affects gamers on a personal level of what is right and wrong and thats pretty important to not screw up in gaming much less let players take advantage of.

Edited by Quraswren

I don't spend much time on Fleet, so I'm not sure how widespread it was on my server (The Bastion). I don't recall seeing a single mention of it in game at all regardless of where I was (and by "it", I mean the exploit while it was active or its aftermath). I'd assume a lot of people (on my server at least) are in the same position.

Not that it should matter, I was just pointing out that we can't assume that most people know what's going on because of what gets said here and on other forums. [Obviously, for your server, you aren't assuming that]

I'd like to hear from other posters on other servers regarding the basic knowledge on the exploit, the punishments and the reactions to both. I'd be curious to see how other servers are reacting to the whole thing.