The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Action For The Ravager's Exploit

EricMusco

They could've just ignored it, like usual. Not do a thing about it. Then next time, nobody would even give a **** anymore. I've retrained myself from abusing this exploit because it's unethical, immoral and because I expected action to be taken against it. Like any devstudio would that's worth their mentioning.

However, if this went through like nothing happened.. I am not so sure I would bother to retrain myself anymore.

And the thing is that I'm not the only person thinking that way. Ignoring issues makes them bigger.

More like because you had already been banned from the forums before and couldn't risk any more administrative action on yourself. Maybe you should learn to "retrain" yourself to not be hot headed, argumentative, and childish all the time. It worked so well to deter yourself from exploiting.

Edited by undiess

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, because if it posted on the Internet, especially by an immature exploiter, then it must be true!!

And just for argument's sake, even if it is true that they still have their gear, that doesn't mean they will still have it tomorrow, or the next day, or even next week. BioWare can take it away any time they want.

ROFL. I throw your very point back at you. Just because Bioware says they will do something............... :rolleyes:

Tell me again how good Bioware's track record is again?? :D

Given the amount of people reporting pretty much the same thing across different websites, I doubt it is all one big conspiracy agreed on in secret that everyone says the same thing. Perhaps you would like some ice for the rear end pain that you were hoping the ban hammer would fall but instead exploiters got tickled by the Ban Feather? The one thing that is constant across all reports of action is between 1-7 days of suspension and in the case of those who have schematics, having them removed but everyone thus far who has been suspended have reported still having their 198 gear. Is it any wonder the exploiters are laughing?

As for gear, yeah your point may hold water if it wasn't Bioware & SWTOR we are talking about. They can barely keep up with fixing bugs, hell bugs that have been in game for years and you think they have the will and desire to go through every exploiter's account, all their 60 toon's and remove gear? Nope, this is all there is to it. A little tickle on the wrist from the Ban Feather amounting to a few days worth of suspensions and that's it. Bioware can't afford (and they know it) to upset subbed players and have them quit in large numbers by taking stuff off them.

Hell it took Bioware a few days of logging in as my wife's sage toon when she was not online to fix an issue where for some reason she could not summon one of her companions to complete a mission.

Sorry but the Ban Feather has done it's job and much like the slots machine debacle, it is time to move on and accept it as it is.

Edited by kharathos

So, you find walled on street. There's 10000 dollars in it. You keep it instead of walking to nearest police station.

It's all good? No one gets hurt?

the person that lost his wallet experiences a 10k loss.

how does that have anything to do with swtor or ravagergate?

Wow... so now that I magically haven't been banned despite the goofy belief held some people that only "an exploiter" could be this vocally disgusted by the community reaction and disappointed in Bioware's actions, I'm "obviously" still posting only because I haven't logged out?

I guess some people are always going to believe that I'm one of the "cheaters" no matter what happens.

but dont call them witch-hunters! That's not fair!

More like because you had already been banned from the forums before and couldn't risk any more administrative action on yourself. Maybe you should learn to "retrain" yourself to not be hot headed, argumentative, and childish all the time. It worked so well to deter yourself from exploiting.

Lol, do you really think that?

I got rid of my forumban because I could, not because I cared so much :rolleyes:

Besides, I've already cancelled my sub. I couldn't care less about getting permabanned right now.

Edited by Evolixe

well yeah because it's theft.

still not comparable to ravagergate

It doesn't matter, the point is that it destroys the fun for the people that do play fairly.

Hence a sensible punishment, to prevent future escalation, is appropriate.

Edited by Evolixe

Being that there's no way to verify the veracity of the reddit statements, I will take what is posted there by random players with a huge grain of salt.

There are dozens and dozens of comments like that on Reddit and even on Dulfy's news comments about this topic. Grain of salt or not but I certainly hope this does not leave people thinking "whooaa.. totally worth it".

It doesn't matter, the point is that it destroys the fun for the people that do play fairly.

Hence a sensible punishment, to prevent future escalation, is appropriate.

how does the socks i wear to work destroy your fun?

the gear i wear in pve content has no affect on you...let alone should it affect your ability to enjoy the game.

Waste of time. I think it's a shame anyone had action taken against their account for this. It's on the Devs to diagnose and prevent the bugs. Players have to deal with the bugs, good or bad. For once, a bug benefited some people. I don't ever recall developers compensating players for actual or potential items lost because of bugs. So bugs can only hurt, not help, I guess.

Anyway, this whole thing was dumb. Never should have become this big of an issue, and I think it was foolish for anyone to have action taken against their account because of it. But whatever.

Edited by Mavajo

how does the socks i wear to work destroy your fun?

Maybe the socks you wear are against the dress code and if you don't abide by the rules, you get sent home.

Doens't matter if you don't like it, think you should be able to do it or just don't give a rats *****. Don't break the rules or you might get sent home.

the gear i wear in pve content has no affect on you...let alone should it affect your ability to enjoy the game.

The gear gained by cheating affects the game as a whole. From perceptive of the game on many levels, to the social nature of it. No MMo needs exploiters or cheaters. No amount of spin changes that and simply knowing gamers were getting away with cheating is a stigma no online MMO needs. Especially with how so many talked about it and flaunted it in front of BW yelling, "I dare you to do something! I spent Money on CC. They wont do crap to me!"

Some got away with a warning back for Nefra and just like a speeding ticket, you don't always get busted but the possibility is there.

We'll this time, some got the ticket and some got their license taken away.

Edited by Quraswren

Waste of time. I think it's a shame anyone had action taken against their account for this. It's on the Devs to diagnose and prevent the bugs. Players have to deal with the bugs, good or bad. For once, a bug benefited some people. I don't ever recall developers compensating players for actual or potential items lost because of bugs. So bugs can only hurt, not help, I guess.

Anyway, this whole thing was dumb. Never should have become this big of an issue, and I think it was foolish for anyone to have action taken against their account because of it. But whatever.

Actually, for certain things they do compensate...

Ravagers, 8m SM, final boss wasn't dropping loot.

Put in ticket. 2-3 days later (technically a week after, but I put the original ticket in the wrong category), got a response to the ticket. The missing commendations were mailed to all reported members and the loot had been RNG-assigned to the team.

I don't disagree that Bioware screwed themselves by allowing the bug to exist and persist, but that does not create a valid excuse for the player-base to use the exploit.

The gear gained by cheating affects the game as a whole. From perceptive of the game on many levels, to the social nature of it. No MMo needs exploiters or cheaters. No amount of spin changes that and simply knowing gamers were getting away with cheating is a stigma no online MMO needs.

Exactly, it's all just so much bluster and rationalization from the "no harm, no foul" folks. Seems to a pretty common theme in America that if you can get away with something, even if it's against the rules (or the law), you are to be congratulated.

Maybe the socks you wear are against the dress code and if you don't abide by the rules, you get sent home.
ok...? no issue with that.

Doens't matter if you don't like it, think you should be able to do it or just don't give a rats *****. Don't break the rules or you might get sent home.
ok...? again no issue with this. no one is questioning that bw has the right to enact punishment here.

The gear gained by cheating affects the game as a whole. From perceptive of the game on many levels, to the social nature of it.
examples? because it doesn't. it affects the players that has the gear, no one else. in fact, if anything, it improves others experience by enhancing performance or your team mate.

No MMo needs exploiters or cheaters. No amount of spin changes that and simply knowing gamers were getting away with cheating is a stigma no online MMO needs.

Some got away with a warning back for Nefra and just like a speeding ticket, you don't always get busted but the possibility is there.

i still feel you're overreacting out of righteous indignation but, again, no one is saying bw has no right to act.

Exactly, it's all just so much bluster and rationalization from the "no harm, no foul" folks. Seems to a pretty common theme in America that if you can get away with something, even if it's against the rules (or the law), you are to be congratulated.
no one is saying this. read the words on the screen. reading is FUNdamental.

saying there was no harm isn't the same as jumping to the conclusion that there was no foul. there was a foul. exploiting is against the rules. bw can choose to punish you. also, there was no harm.

no one is saying this. read the words on the screen. reading is FUNdamental.

saying there was no harm isn't the same as jumping to the conclusion that there was no foul. there was a foul. exploiting is against the rules. bw can choose to punish you. also, there was no harm.

There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

If nothing else there is the harmfull perception you need to REALLY take it beyond the boundaries of good taste to get a permanent ban. People would never in a million yeares do this in WoW. Because they know Bliz will send them packing for doing it once. BW never set the standard as high and hasn't quite raised it there now either so I'm not suprised this happened and I won't be shocked when it happens again. That's the harm.

There is no such thing as a victimless crime.
you're right. this wasnt a crime, it was a video game exploit where a user created gear. there was no victim.

If nothing else there is the harmfull perception you need to REALLY take it beyond the boundaries of good taste to get a permanent ban. People would never in a million yeares do this in WoW. Because they know Bliz will send them packing for doing it once. BW never set the standard as high and hasn't quite raised it there now either so I'm not suprised this happened and I won't be shocked when it happens again. That's the harm.
i would rather make a determination of harm on a case by case basis. in this case, there was none.

the mere fact hey did anything is more than they usually do for the same type of exploit, so its a positive step if youre eager to have a deterrent.

now lets talk about pvp exploiting that actually affects other players...oh wait that's right bw doesnt care about pvp.

Edited by Pagy

ok...? no issue with that.

ok...? again no issue with this. no one is questioning that bw has the right to enact punishment here.

Glad we're in agreement.

examples? because it doesn't. it affects the players that has the gear, no one else. in fact, if anything, it improves others experience by enhancing performance or your team mate.

Cheater affect the entire game. They affeect everyones fun by turning the game on it's ear and the thought of fair play being thrown out the door is unacceptable when so many are involved.

In a social game, it doesn't matter if it's checkers, connect 4, monopoly, call of Duty, Warcraft, SWTOR or damn near any other group game. Cheaters cause a social stigma that cannot be allowed. There is no justification for exploiting or cheating in any game and especially so if your reasoning is because "it made the cheaters feel good and their teammates" for getting one over on everyone else. I'm kinda shocked you even thought that way.

i still feel you're overreacting out of righteous indignation but, again, no one is saying bw has no right to act.

and I feel you're downplaying it as one of those people that hate to take responsibility for their actions.

You speed in a car. You are guilty. The cop gets to decide what happens. You might get a ticket once, a warning 10 times and then your license revoked. If your speeding, you don't get to turn around and say, "Why would you take my license? The highway was 10 lanes wide and it was clear weather and I have a car that can easily go that fast and I'm trained to drive really fast and there was no other cars around and I'm not hurting anyone else and you let me do it 10 times and let me slide why not now? How is it possible you punished me now? Thats so wrong!"

Gamers broke the rules, They harmed the game and gamers who respect fair play, they diluted the integrity of gaming, negatively affected the social aspect of the game, many flaunted it in BW's face and no amount of spin makes them any less guilty of breaking the TOS.

At nefra they got their free warning pass. This time, the police gave some tickets and some of the worst cheaters got their license revoked.

I can support that cause no game needs cheaters.

Edited by Quraswren

Cheater affect the entire game. They affeect everyones fun but turning the game on it's ear and the thought of fair play being thrown out the door is unacceptable when so many are involved. Sure, the cheaters expereince is enhanced but the rest involved don't feel that way.
so the affect you're mentioning is your own greed and sour grapes involving your unwillingness to break the rules?

it's a risk vs reward question. those that participated i spoke to all said, "pffft bw won't do anything and if they do i dont really care anymore." the risk seemed to be pretty low with most i spoke to.

if you wanted the gear, you should have got it too, and borne that risk of punishment. being envious now and turning to sour grapes because they got items and you didn't is petty and silly. your greed is your issue and your choice. again, the items other people wear in pve only helps you.

Doesn't matter if it's checkers, connect 4, monpoly, call of Duty, Warcraft, SWTOR. Cheaters cause a social stigma that cannot be allowed. There is no justification for exploiting or cheating in any game and especially so if your reasoning is because to made the cheaters feel good and their teammates for getting one over on everyone else.
whether or not it should be allowed is a personal question and completely subjective. if someone cheats in monopoly i may cease to play with them further because it gives them an unfair advantage because we are in opposition. however, if two games of monopoly are being held and the board on the table next to me has a cheater, my experience doesnt change and i dont spend an ounce of energy thinking about "the integrity of the monopoly playing community".

and I feel you're downplaying it as one of those people that hate to take responsibility for their actions.

You speed in a car. You are guilty. The cop gets to decide what happens. You might get a ticket once, a warning 10 times and then your license revoked. If your speeding, you don't get to turn around and say, "But the highway was 10 lanes wide and it was clear weather and I have a car that can easily go that fast and I'm trained to drive really fast and there was no other cars around and I'm not hurting anyone else. How is it possible you punished me?"

im not sure what im supposed to say because, again, for the 420th time, no one is saying that rules werent broken and that punishments arent justified.

but if you're telling me that they are speeding a lot in japan, i'm going to tell you that i really don't care.

Gamers broke the rules, diluted the integrity of gaming, negatively affected the social aspect of the game, many flaunted it in BW's face and no amount of spin makes them any less guilty of breaking the TOS.
the integrity of gaming?

its a recreational activity. if you dont find it enjoyable, don't do it.

You still havent demonstrated the negative effects. all you've claimed is that "people that play fair are jealous" well thats their choice. these super greedy people feel some sort of de facto need for competition in gear that has no bearing on them probably need to take a step away from the game. because this righteous indignation and need to control what other gamers do is just as "harmful" if not worse.

people were afraid of big brother...now we're all trying to "get" one another...filming, tattling on twitter facebook...endless reality shows...we've become our own big brother mod of intrusive jerks.