So it's been 3 years(??) now....

LoverNoFighter

Not so sure I want speech bubbles cluttering up my screen, although I am sure there would be an option to turn them off.

Agreed. I don't want them at all, I prefer the cleaner look of Fleet without attention ****s cluttering up my screen with bubbles...but if you want them and I can turn em off, I'd still be a happy camper and so would the OP...so as long as they're on a toggle, I support em.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a very hardcore roleplayer and I actually prefer it with them off. All you have to do is create a new tab with just "say, emote" in it and you are good to go. I know the whole thing is to quickly see who's talking so you don't have to look at the name and go back and see and be bothered with all that. But I personally don't mind doing it at all. I would rather them work on other issues first than chat bubbles. But I would not be against them going in the game at all.

Just telling you that I hardcore roleplay and don't need a chat bubble for myself to get fully immersed in the moment. That's not true. However, I can understand completely why somebody would want chat bubbles very, very badly and why they are not in the game yet this big.

Sometimes things are just higher priority than other things. Perhaps they haven't figured out a way of implementing them that won't create havoc. I don't feel it's too much of an issue though to the point where they should work on that above a lot of other things.

Read my post again. It was directed at the guy who was talking about voice chat and was trying to imply that voice chat was preferable to speech bubbles.

Here, I'll make it easier on you. This is the post i was replying to (which I quoted in my first reply)

I'm glad this game doesn't have chat bubbles. I prefer Vent or any other voice chat.

You can't RP using voice chat.

Like you, I actually don't care whether they implement it or not. I do my RP in the chat window. Speech bubbles would get turned off for me the instant they were added. I was just pointing out (probably futilely, but whatever), to Zeta_scorpii that voice chat isn't sufficient for every reason one might have to communicate within an MMO.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

As always, people going on about how the "engine can't handle it" when they have no idea what they're talking about. The chat bubbles causing performance issues says nothing of whether or not the engine could handle it, only that the way it was implemented caused performance issues.

Unless you're privy to information the rest of us aren't?

Just the dev's own words.

no I'm not looking it up for you. if you require proof, do the footwork yourself.

they've already said they can't be done due to ENGINE LIMITATIONS

Edited by Suromir

Just the dev's own words.

no I'm not looking it up for you. if you require proof, do the footwork yourself.

they've already said they can't be done due to ENGINE LIMITATIONS

All I've ever seen them say on the subject was that they had to shelve it due to performance issues and that it's something they may look into in the future. Never an actual comment on "the engine can't do this". So I guess it's your unsubstantiated claim vs. mine.

All I've ever seen them say on the subject was that they had to shelve it due to performance issues and that it's something they may look into in the future. Never an actual comment on "the engine can't do this". So I guess it's your unsubstantiated claim vs. mine.

Whenever the devs say anything at all about performances issues, the forums immediately translate it into "the engine sucks" and trying to explain that those are not always related is a lost cause.

Woah, yes you can. Same as RPing with dice. In fact I have RP'd in Voice Chat, for a Table Top RPG. If it can work with dice RPGs then VC is workable here. And more private that /say or Chat Bubbles. Faster, even, since you don't have to type.

You just need a mutually agreed upon VC program.

Now, I am not arguing for or against chat babbles, as long as I can turn them off, just against the VC can't be used for RP line.

Unless I was playing TTRPGs wrong and was supposed to write everything down.

I've done romance RP in tabletop, where I - as the GM - was playing a female NPC, but unless you're a supremely talented actor (which I am not), it's difficult to avoid the disconnect.

Not all of my characters have my voice. Not all of my characters have my gender. Yes, it is technically possible to RP in voice chat, but if I'm RPing a giggling little 15-yr old girl, it's gonna sound pretty funky coming out of your speakers from my 40-yr old male voice.

I've done romance RP in tabletop, where I - as the GM - was playing a female NPC, but unless you're a supremely talented actor (which I am not), it's difficult to avoid the disconnect.

Not all of my characters have my voice. Not all of my characters have my gender. Yes, it is technically possible to RP in voice chat, but if I'm RPing a giggling little 15-yr old girl, it's gonna sound pretty funky coming out of your speakers from my 40-yr old male voice.

Sure, it can be disconcerting, but you and the others in RP get used to it. My ears heard a guy, sure, but (maybe this was a group thing) we never bothered with voices, and more with mannerisms and verbal tics, giggling was usually just placed as "She giggles." or we actually laughed and called that a giggle if not OOC.

Sure, it can be disconcerting, but you and the others in RP get used to it. My ears heard a guy, sure, but (maybe this was a group thing) we never bothered with voices, and more with mannerisms and verbal tics, giggling was usually just placed as "She giggles." or we actually laughed and called that a giggle if not OOC.

I guess I was trying to say that you don't get those, if you're RPing on voice. There's no mannerisms or gestures. I mean, if I'm going to just tell you what my character's emoting anyway, I might as well just type it.

I just feel that RP over voice isn't the same as table top RP, or at least it has never seemed that way to me. I guess it's a YMMV thing :)

I don't RP over voice chat. I feel weird RPing over voice. I'll tabletop, and I'll type, but I won't RP on voice.... I'm not sure why.

Edited by Raphael_diSanto

The dev's actual words on this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4226097&postcount=4

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5526174#post5526174

There is a noticeable lack of reference to whether or not the problem is the engine.

I guess I was trying to say that you don't get those, if you're RPing on voice. There's no mannerisms or gestures. I mean, if I'm going to just tell you what my character's emoting anyway, I might as well just type it.

I just feel that RP over voice isn't the same as table top RP, or at least it has never seemed that way to me. I guess it's a YMMV thing :)

I don't RP over voice chat. I feel weird RPing over voice. I'll tabletop, and I'll type, but I won't RP on voice.... I'm not sure why.

Vocal mannerisms, and tone of voice. We were all away from our main TT RPG location, so we used VC and our own character sheets to keep track. We even vocalized the gestures.

But I'm digressing and going off topic.

Oh im sure you could but i imagine the flamefests from angry basement trolls when they hear the voice of that slave gear wearing twi'lekk they initially appriached hoping to ERP up sound like a 300 lb trucker whos smoked 3 packs a day forv 20 years will be absolutely fricking -hilarious- :p

As many rants as i have seen in gen chat from sad sad men/boys who find out their new "female" friend is really played by a guy is evidence enough for me ;)

Edited by XiamaraSimi

The dev's actual words on this:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4226097&postcount=4

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5526174#post5526174

There is a noticeable lack of reference to whether or not the problem is the engine.

These performance issues are caused by the engine having problems rendering 2D text in a 3D space. The same performance issue impacting Nameplates is the same one impacting chat bubbles. The more text is drawn the worse it gets, and chat bubbles are going to contain far more text than nameplates.

This an engine issue.

Jedi robes > speech bubbles

There are more important things than speech bubbles. :rolleyes:

*bar shouts* Alec!*bar goes back to drinking*

But I agree, more outfits is more important than chat bubbles. And I do RP. I do understand than CBs can be used for more than RP, but (and maybe I'm a weirdo here) I just keep my UI on and have everyone's nameplates up in RPs.

These performance issues are caused by the engine having problems rendering 2D text in a 3D space. The same performance issue impacting Nameplates is the same one impacting chat bubbles. The more text is drawn the worse it gets, and chat bubbles are going to contain far more text than nameplates.

This an engine issue.

That's certainly a plausible explanation, but until one of their engine devs comments on it it's still speculation. That and how many people who parrot "engine engine" could even give that good of an explanation on why they couldn't get it to work? Most assume that any issue that comes up is caused by the engine.

Edited by MillionsKNives

We will get chat bubbles the moment we get cross server ques.

Edited by Neoforcer

Read my post again. It was directed at the guy who was talking about voice chat and was trying to imply that voice chat was preferable to speech bubbles.

Here, I'll make it easier on you. This is the post i was replying to (which I quoted in my first reply)

Like you, I actually don't care whether they implement it or not. I do my RP in the chat window. Speech bubbles would get turned off for me the instant they were added. I was just pointing out (probably futilely, but whatever), to Zeta_scorpii that voice chat isn't sufficient for every reason one might have to communicate within an MMO.

Ah ok. I see now :) Thank you for pointing that out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.