Armormech: Worthless end game?

Kaihothedruid

Hawkeye Powered Ultramesh Legplates (Superior)

776 armor

45 Aim

72 Endurance

75 Accuracy

48 Power

20 Defense.

You learn this after REing the green set, then the blue set, of Vanguard friendly recipies in Armormech at 390 skill. I had to RE about 6 sets of greens and 5 sets of blues to learn it. Took about a good 4 hours once I had all the materials of just running around waiting for it to craft.

TT-15A Powertech Leggings (( Moddable pants that I put at-level mods in that I was rewarded with by completing SOLOABLE MISSIONS))

739 armor

76 aim

83 endurance

16 shield rating

6 absorbption

12 defense.

If I were to switch my current modded pants to wear my CRAFTED EPIC

I would lose

72 armor

31 aim

11 endurance

16 shield rating

6 absorption

Only to gain 27 accuracy and 8 defense.

What I gather from this is that end game armor-mech is worthless, because anything you can make regardless of how good it is, will be obsolete compared to a moddable item with at-level mods that you either get from a Cybertech or just by completeing SOLO missions on your characters freaking story line. Which means that all the time, credits, organization, and effort I put into leveling Armormech, reverse engineering the end set, was all for nothing unless I want to sacrifice a healthy amount of stats for vanity.

Now, unless I am missing something here, I am pretty damn dissapointed Bioware.

That is exactly what I Am saying, even with an Augment slot, the sheer amount of stats I would lose by switching to the purple from the orange with mods can -not- be made up for. There is no augment in the world that makes up for that kind of armor, aim, endurance, ect ect. So from where it stands now, every crafting profession with the exception of Cyber-tech is completely useless.

Is Bioware working to fix this?

That is exactly what I Am saying, even with an Augment slot, the sheer amount of stats I would lose by switching to the purple from the orange with mods can -not- be made up for. There is no augment in the world that makes up for that kind of armor, aim, endurance, ect ect. So from where it stands now, every crafting profession with the exception of Cyber-tech is completely useless.

Is Bioware working to fix this?

No, you misunderstand. You can craft orange gear with crit slots, making them superior to non-crafted orange gear. So YES, the orange is better than purple (in your example), but CRAFTED orange is (potentially) better than non-crafted. That puts synthweaving/armormech/etc back on top.

So, where do I learn these "Orange with Crit slot" recipies? So far I have only found "Electro Guard" equipment, boots and chest. But they don't seem to be any different then other moddable items.

They start with 25 armor and 3 slots for Armoring, Mod, Enhancement.

When you critically succeed at crafting any piece of gear you get an extra slot, called augment slot, on that gear.

Good luck.

Armortech actually gets some pretty good bracer and waist that are with 140 item rating. I dont want to see an armortech complain that this is **** and worthless because armstech on the other side doesnt have anything that could be use and not replaced by normal ops or hard mode fp.

Due to several reasons (fast leveling pace, good regular rewards, etc...), it seems like most skills that make an equippable product are worthless until end-game. And what's more, knowing how much potential there is in the field would require knowing how the best crafted armor compares to the best non-crafted armor.

Obviously, that data isn't widely available 5 days after launch.

I personally suspect that the best possible armor will require a recipe from a raid (crit-crafted) and top-notch mods. Three major upgrade paths funneled into one. But honestly, that information isn't really available right now, so that's speculative.

It looks like armormech will only shine with exceptional gear--rare recipes that take work to craft and then require a crit on top of that. Seems like you're comparing run-of-the-mill crafted stuff to pretty decent quest rewards. Not really a fair test.

I suspect Bioware went the blizzard way and kept all the competitive recipes for nolife raiders and their epeens. That's why I took biochem actually. As a likely non raider who will play this game two or three months, see the story of the classes I like and leave, other trades are useless. All of them.

I suspect Bioware went the blizzard way and kept all the competitive recipes for nolife raiders and their epeens. That's why I took biochem actually. As a likely non raider who will play this game two or three months, see the story of the classes I like and leave, other trades are useless. All of them.

That first part...doesn't even make sense...

All the hardcore crafters who produce the best of the best are going to HAVE to be, as you so kindly put it, "nolifes". Any alternate method would have to be just as "nolifey". In order to make something better than your peers, you have to set yourself apart somehow, earn that ability. If the source were exploration or sommat, you'd have to see pretty much every single spot and get every cron. If the source were space combat, you'd probably have to run hundreds and hundreds of space missions.

Your casual dismissal of raiders as "nolifers" and contempt for any system where only they, with their time investment, have access to the best stuff just seems...fundamentally flawed to me, as if you're somehow trying to justify the opinion that people who don't work as hard should be the best in their discipline, and supporting it by tossing out casual insults towards people who are putting in the hours.

What alternate method would you propose that would effectively distribute the top-notch crafting ability without making it worthless for all but the "nolifers" and their "epeens"?

No, you misunderstand. You can craft orange gear with crit slots, making them superior to non-crafted orange gear. So YES, the orange is better than purple (in your example), but CRAFTED orange is (potentially) better than non-crafted. That puts synthweaving/armormech/etc back on top.

No you cant. This is 100% not true. I have 400 Armortech with some orange mod gear recipes I got from world drop. The orange mod gear CAN NOT be reverse engineered so you have no chance of getting the AUG on them.

No you cant. This is 100% not true. I have 400 Armortech with some orange mod gear recipes I got from world drop. The orange mod gear CAN NOT be reverse engineered so you have no chance of getting the AUG on them.

What you guys said isn't contradictory... A specific orange (one the can't be REd) may not have the potential to be better than any given purple, but craftable oranges have the potential to exceed purples due to crits.

You don't get an augment slot by reverse engineering, you get one by critting on the initial craft. Reverse engineering is purely to learn better recipes. Augment slots don't come from recipes.

You don't get an augment slot by reverse engineering, you get one by critting on the initial craft. Reverse engineering is purely to learn better recipes. Augment slots don't come from recipes.

Crits on orange crafts are still unconfirmed AFAIK. I've made over 50 of them and never gotten a crit success, so either crits are EXTREMELY rare or they can't happen on orange pieces. I'd bet on the latter, but I don't know if it's intended or not.

A few people have claimed they've done it, but "screenshot or it didn't happen".

Edited by Stillnotking

Hawkeye Powered Ultramesh Legplates (Superior)

776 armor

45 Aim

72 Endurance

75 Accuracy

48 Power

20 Defense.

You learn this after REing the green set, then the blue set, of Vanguard friendly recipies in Armormech at 390 skill. I had to RE about 6 sets of greens and 5 sets of blues to learn it. Took about a good 4 hours once I had all the materials of just running around waiting for it to craft.

TT-15A Powertech Leggings (( Moddable pants that I put at-level mods in that I was rewarded with by completing SOLOABLE MISSIONS))

739 armor

76 aim

83 endurance

16 shield rating

6 absorbption

12 defense.

If I were to switch my current modded pants to wear my CRAFTED EPIC

I would lose

72 armor

31 aim

11 endurance

16 shield rating

6 absorption

Only to gain 27 accuracy and 8 defense.

What I gather from this is that end game armor-mech is worthless, because anything you can make regardless of how good it is, will be obsolete compared to a moddable item with at-level mods that you either get from a Cybertech or just by completeing SOLO missions on your characters freaking story line. Which means that all the time, credits, organization, and effort I put into leveling Armormech, reverse engineering the end set, was all for nothing unless I want to sacrifice a healthy amount of stats for vanity.

Now, unless I am missing something here, I am pretty damn dissapointed Bioware.

I'd just like to point out that you would actually be *gaining* 37 armor. Not saying that the parity is somehow restored by that, but just thought we should be accurate.

Its pointless really when it's easier and faster to just do dailies for the ilum mods. I have crafted over 40 blue lvl 49 helmets to try for an artifact proc and haven't goten one yet. In the meantime I have goten enough daily tokens to buy 4 of the armor mods.

RNG or the recipe's don't exist for all items yet. I'm thinking the latter.

So the basic purpose of armormech is to provide armor for leveling and orange customized armor for end game players who want a custom look. I still see a need for the skill to be honest. Not everyone wants the same look as the PvP gear.

Totally. The orange gear is going to be the bread and butter, TBH. Lots of people want to customize, or may for a while, then switch back. I could see myself having one of every set of orange gear so that I could redo my look whenever I wanted.

Of course, I'm an aesthetics whore....:rolleyes:

I'd just like to point out that you would actually be *gaining* 37 armor. Not saying that the parity is somehow restored by that, but just thought we should be accurate.

In fact you are gaining that armor AND about 50 points worth of stats (if you add them all up) ... it's just a different stat loadout. But it IS superior by quite a bit. So uh ... yeah. Math!

I swear I remember reading a Bioware post or interview somewhere semi-recently that said that Armormech / Synthweaving was supposed to produce best in slot gear for hats and shoes. Has anyone looked into whether or not that's the case?