Dear BioWare, why don't you explain your events to the 'common people'?

jstankaroslo

Hey, I just found this on Dulfy:

http://dulfy.net/2014/12/16/swtor-2014-life-day-event-guide/

This got me thinking why I don't participate in the events (Gree, Rakhgoul, Life Day).

Well, after more than 2 years of playing this game I still feel intimidated by those things.

Really.

I simply don't know what to do (throw snowballs to get some "Overheated droid"? What droid? How do I know about it? From Dulfy, sure).

Why do I have to visit other sites (like great Dulfy) to get to know what is this and what do do with it? It seems like a waste to me -should be some in-game tutorial to get people to participate.

I mean those events (except Bounty hunters, which is different) are just unannounced unless you stay on the fleet all time (I prefer planets, and lately Stongholds). So does it mean you Devs want your players to loiter the fleet all the time? I'd rather enjoy the Alderaan views...

Then, when I decide to try it, lets say Gree I go to the planet and I see hundreds of max level people floating around doing stuff. What are they doing? why?, how? First quest and I'm getting killed almost instantly (not happening in my usual gameplay). What?, how?, where?, why?, when? -all the things I'm supposed to learn from outside source (like Dulfy's?)

this is a rant, sure, but after so long time playing this game I still feel like I'm missing some things the Devs worked hard on, just because the game doesn't invite me into this.

I'm a casual, sure, but is this stuff only for hardcore?

Trying to make the Devs do this stuff more user friendly -some kind of tutorial to all of these would be nice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they duplicate work already being done by another source?

Dulfy has always been the "go to guide" to SWTOR events and the guides are well written. Any time an event pops up it's a good idea to check Dulfy to see if there are any changes. It's also worth the time to read any of the blogs or stickied posts as well as the patch notes to glean any information about the events from them.

Basically, the information is already out there.

This got me thinking why I don't participate in the events (Gree, Rakhgoul, Life Day).

Well, after more than 2 years of playing this game I still feel intimidated by those things.

The Gree and Rakghoul events have news terminals that basically tell you where to go.

I simply don't know what to do (throw snowballs to get some "Overheated droid"? What droid? How do I know about it? From Dulfy, sure).

You know why Dulfy knows about it? Because she was either curious about the event, or someone else was curious about the event, and told her about what they discovered. So stop complaining and go be curious.

Dulfy has always been the "go to guide" to SWTOR events and the guides are well written. Any time an event pops up it's a good idea to check Dulfy to see if there are any changes. It's also worth the time to read any of the blogs or stickied posts as well as the patch notes to glean any information about the events from them.

I love Dulfy's site

But it is the "outside source" isn't it? If dulfy's down for some reason, or makes mistakes, and the event last just for a week? What I mean is there should be something more about the events in-game -not just on this site, as not every player visits these forums or swtor.com. At least not on regular basis.

I once missed the Bounty Hunters week as I was adventuring on Hoth instead of loitering on Fleet. Someones work went to waste that time.

If the goal is to have as much players as possible enjoying the events, they should be explained in-game, no in the patch notes (sometimes just as" the gree are back")

The Gree and Rakghoul events have news terminals that basically tell you where to go.

You know why Dulfy knows about it? Because she was either curious about the event, or someone else was curious about the event, and told her about what they discovered. So stop complaining and go be curious.

We have so many things to do in this game it is easy to miss the events. If I was a Dev working on them I'd like as many people as possible to try them. Not just the "curious" ones

because its their game and other sources should be duplicating their work, not other way around

Dulfy is a non official site and NO player ran site should be the "goto guide" for what the OP asking for.

Hes not asking for secrets and walk throughs

Hes asking for simple and basic instructions about events that really should be supplied by the OFFICIAL SOURCE

Personally I hate having to use 3rd party sites for any games and try not to

ALL Relevant information (directions, rules, processes) should be readily available on SW:TOR site

OP really not asking for much here

Pretty basic operating procedures and common sense for any product

Edit: I see it was supplied and that's even worse as honestly I read the patch notes and didn't catch that one line with link either. I learned everything from guildies about Life Day event to be honest

Edited by Kalfear

We have so many things to do in this game it is easy to miss the events. If I was a Dev working on them I'd like as many people as possible to try them. Not just the "curious" ones

You can lead a horse to water....

I know when I go to fleet I usually hit all the quadrants (because I usually have business in all of them) and if I see a crowd of characters or a quest giver symbol/blue glowy object, I do not recall being there before, I am going to investigate. That's all being curious takes.

Now If you never hit fleet because you are in your Stronghold....who's fault is that?

Why do I have to visit other sites (like great Dulfy) to get to know what is this and what do do with it? It seems like a waste to me -should be some in-game tutorial to get people to participate.

I'm a casual, sure, but is this stuff only for hardcore?

Trying to make the Devs do this stuff more user friendly -some kind of tutorial to all of these would be nice.

You have to go to Dulfy because Bioware has proven they're incapable of getting excited about their own game...sites like Dulfy do far better at promoting their game than Bioware does.

We don't even need a tutorial, just an in-game mail letting you know the details, or a better tool-tip, is all that's required.

You can lead a horse to water....

I know when I go to fleet I usually hit all the quadrants (because I usually have business in all of them) and if I see a crowd of characters or a quest giver symbol/blue glowy object, I do not recall being there before, I am going to investigate. That's all being curious takes.

Now If you never hit fleet because you are in your Stronghold....who's fault is that?

I don't like The Fleet

This is a case of the customers asking for opposite things. What is the developer to do? I recall early on in the game, people asked for events like this and wanted for there to be little information. The devs decided to experiment by doing just that with the first rakghoul outbreak, which was a huge success. Due to feedback, they keep doing what we seem to like. Based on what I have seen from my time playing since Beta, the OP is in the minority.

tldr: People have been asking for the opposite of what the OP is asking for.

You have to go to Dulfy because Bioware has proven they're incapable of getting excited about their own game...sites like Dulfy do far better at promoting their game than Bioware does.

We don't even need a tutorial, just an in-game mail letting you know the details, or a better tool-tip, is all that's required.

^^Very much this.

Tux I like you even more than I did before. Once more you prove that common sense is not lost on these forums.

This is a case of the customers asking for opposite things. What is the developer to do? I recall early on in the game, people asked for events like this and wanted for there to be little information. The devs decided to experiment by doing just that with the first rakghoul outbreak, which was a huge success. Due to feedback, they keep doing what we seem to like. Based on what I have seen from my time playing since Beta, the OP is in the minority.

You make a good point...but this is supposed to be a holiday event...gifts and rewards are generally the theme of an in-game holiday event. It's understandable why players would like better details on an event like this...especially the overheated droid thing...I killed 2 last night on Coruscant because I didn't know anything about them...red meant enemy...I felt bad for ******* up a few players fun by killing it...that's never my intent and it lead to unnecessary frustration between players.

Hey there.

I didn't know about it. Joined the game half a year after it was released.

Regardless, (and its the first real reason for not providing info I think reasonable) 3 years is enough to at least review their strategy.

I'll say it again: I feel their work on this is partially wasted as some (maybe even majority of) players don't realize something is going on. If this is meant to be a reward for 'hardcore' community then -well, ok

Edited by jstankaroslo

I mean what percentage of SWTOR players frequents this web page?

Exactly.

I don't see why they would even start an argument over something that has nothing to do with them whatsoever. I never see why those kind of people get their panties in a bunch over suggestions that help, not hinder, the playerbase.

It's as though their life has no meaning unless they can form a stupid argument over silliness. If the topic at hand is not affecting you negatively, mind your own damn business and move on. Simple.

Exactly.

I don't see why they would even start an argument over something that has nothing to do with them whatsoever. I never see why those kind of people get their panties in a bunch over suggestions that help, not hinder, the playerbase.

It's as though their life has no meaning unless they can form a stupid argument over silliness. If the topic at hand is not affecting you negatively, mind your own damn business and move on. Simple.

Yes... let's clutter up the client UI with popups and other forced information.. all for the sake of the minority that either cannot or will not seek information readily available on the internet via one google search. You want free bugs with the UI because of this too? :rolleyes:

Path notes clearly state that there is an event and where to get started. Tool tips cover most of the rest. Nuances, like don't bother snowballing a player with the snowball buff on them..... people quickly figure it out from my experience. In other words.. they learn something on their own, or by following comments in chat.

TL;DR don't fix what is not broken.

Edited by Andryah

because its their game and other sources should be duplicating their work, not other way around

Dulfy is a non official site and NO player ran site should be the "goto guide" for what the OP asking for.

Hes not asking for secrets and walk throughs

Hes asking for simple and basic instructions about events that really should be supplied by the OFFICIAL SOURCE

Personally I hate having to use 3rd party sites for any games and try not to

ALL Relevant information (directions, rules, processes) should be readily available on SW:TOR site

OP really not asking for much here

Pretty basic operating procedures and common sense for any product

Edit: I see it was supplied and that's even worse as honestly I read the patch notes and didn't catch that one line with link either. I learned everything from guildies about Life Day event to be honest

Yep, the information is out there if people look. And while Dulfy isn't an "official" site, you'll find most MMO's have these sites that provide more information than the MMO's website does. Through the use of PTS and invitations to closed Beta's, the people that run these sites get the information themselves and pass it on.

MMO sites will give you the basic information you need if you look, but it is the fan sites that give you the most information and it behooves players looking for information to be up on which unofficial sites they need to keep track of.

But ultimately it is the OP's fault if he missed it on the "official site" and using Dulfy is better than jumping around to all the various places on the SWTOR site, Facebook page, Twitter announcement and the like since all the info you need is consolidated. Not really sure why anyone would hate using unofficial sites since they are most often better than what a game site has.

Yes... let's clutter up the client UI with popups and other forced information.. all for the sake of the minority that either cannot or will not seek information on the internet. You want free bugs with the UI because of this too? :rolleyes:

TL;DR don't fix what is not broken.

It's being missed by players. What should be a great event is getting messed up by players, like myself, killing red droids unknowingly. I didn't know about the droids, other than they were on 3 planets...saw the red one spawn and blasted it...only to then get blasted in general chat for doing something 100% normal to me.

I don't want pop-ups - just an in-game mail that gives better details of the event. Even the link here to the festivities doesn't explain the red droids...only a link that I've literally never clicked on until today mentions it.

The link I've never clicked on before says this:

MISSION: Parcel Droids have been appearing on Dromund Kaas, Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa. Find one for a chance to get one of three new Life Day Holo-Trees. But be warned! Some of these Parcel Droids are overheating and will attack anyone who gets close. Cool them off by hitting them with a Life Day Snowball Bomb available from the Master of Ceremonies on the fleet!

The link Devs point to doesn't mention anything about red droids:

Also visit Dromund Kaas, Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa and look for new Parcel Droids. Throw Snowball Bombs at these Droids for a chance to get rewarded with new colorful Holo-tree Stronghold Decorations.

I just think that if the Devs spend the time to improve the event (like they did), it's worth mentioning more than they did. I consider myself fairly well informed on SWTOR...I had no clue about the droids.

And I thought figuring stuff out was part of the fun. Seems I was mistaken.

^^This. There were times when you had to play offline and there was absolutely no way to get any quick help online. Because there was no online.

I started disliking Dulfy's quite some time ago. The page makes players even lazier than they are. And at some point it became like Dulfy's this, Dulfy's that. Such a hype. But as I learned from the recent South Park episode: I am an old fart and today's kids don't play themselves anymore, instead they watch others like Pewdiepie or whatever his name was, playing a game. ;)

That being sad, I nonetheless agree with the OP who surely has a good point. There could be better announcements for certain events ingame as well as better introduction quests or tutorials. At least some warning windows popping up like "You're about to enter the bla bla bla zone. This is no leightweight stuff. Make sure you are prepared." :)

But this just reinforces what I wrote. I didn't scan the website, so I didn't get the full info.

I mean what percentage of SWTOR players frequents this web page?

Check your mail options in your account settings (Basic information > Sign up for email updates > "Sign up to receive Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ updates by email."). I received an email advertising Life Day event with a link to this page:

http://www.swtor.com/info/in-game-events?utm_source=(not_set)&utm_medium=crm&utm_campaign=sor_bwa-crm-t-en-LifeDay-2&sourceid=sor_bwa-crm-t-en-LifeDay-2

It doesn't get more clearer than the explanations on this page.

Edited by KyaniteD

They told us about the event. They even told us where the droids were, that the overheating ones were important, and that snowballs were involved. We were left to figure out the rest ourselves.

Really, how much more do you want your hand held? Do you want Bioware to throw the snowballs for you too, because your arm is getting tired?

Edited by PLynkes