The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Goals for Addressing Server Concerns

EricMusco

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Merge server ques, like WoW does it to make ques faster imo

It does speed up ques BUT it promotes bad behavior from players (the ones who are most likely do do so anyway) ..

cross server random PvE can be one of the worst (PvP is sometimes bad but not AS bad) as you get the king dips out there behaving like jerk because IT is unlikely you will run into someone again (or the % are a lot less) after being as idiot..

it was one of many choices that honestly HURT WoW (they did a lot of things that i am sure the DEVs there regret now .. and sadly now so many games are emulating the very same things)

glad my sun is up soon

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • To rethink how we approach “server separation.”
  • Remain sensitive to things like character identity.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

Hi Eric,

I am sure that as a single player I am not important enough to change the world of SWTOR, but I have a few comments and ideas. Perhaps it helps, perhaps it's just a moment for me to reflect and nothing more.

The first thing anybody thinks about is of course server merges but then at the same time I have to think of the few things that were good ideas in GW2.

What they did there is make their version of the GTN a cross server GTN. Also, and I know they did this right from the start, names had to be unique. That meant unique across all servers. One way to do this is is to give people tags behind their names of the servers they originate from but there are other ways I'm sure. Just not sure what is technically possible for you. GW1 required you to give two parts to a name, making it easier to create unique names, but I think it's important that you explore ways to give people more options to create unique names without losing their core names if that makes sense to you.

I lost a lot of character names on previous server merges. Just know that I will not like to go through that again. I lost a majority of my character names. It's not a fun experience. So yes, you are right to take such matter into consideration, because it is a rotten thing.

My guess with that is that you have to consider doing a more serious purge also of names for characters that haven't been played for a while.

As for server designations like PvP, PvE and RP I think it's trickier in the EU because of the languages. Now I am not big on RP although I think it's a cool thing to see happen around you but I'd have to ask the question: wouldn't it add to the RP element to have different languages going on? If the populations are such that it would allow merging the 3 into one server, it might actually be a cool thing. Of course adding some things to the game that makes their lives easier like maybe speech bubbles might be a great way to come to terms with such changes. I am not asking you to do this, it's just an idea. Let the RP community comment more on that.

Another idea to deal with things is to have EU servers that have dedicated instances. GW1 has this where you choose a language as your primary and then the game would put you in an instance of your language, but you could still go to all of them if you wanted. These are just some ideas about how to tackle language specific servers which are not necessarily great when it comes to maintaining server populations.

If such things were possible for you technically you might end up with 3 EU core megaservers or a couple of extra ones if needed. Again just ideas.

To abandone PvP, RP and PvE as choices is also possible. Just go by language, but where it may be easier to merge PvE and RP, it would seem a lot harder to make room for the PvP variety which to some is just another word for gank servers.

Clearly you made this post as there are decisions that need to be made. Not sure if you are wanting to connect the EU to the US, to be honest, I'm not sure I would want that....let's just say that it might not be good for general chat as such, but perhaps connecting things like the GTN and perhaps certain q's might work with the NA and EU servers as separate groups.

I am very curious what you want to do to improve the social aspect as you mentioned. Honestly, I am really just curious. Server wide chat has been brought up before and I think also being able to travel to each other without needing a guild ship might help a lot to bring people closer together. I think the fleet will need to be repurposed but that could be fun also. I am just thinking out loud really but yeh, I'll be very interested to see where this is going.

It does speed up ques BUT it promotes bad behavior from players (the ones who are most likely do do so anyway) ..

cross server random PvE can be one of the worst (PvP is sometimes bad but not AS bad) as you get the king dips out there behaving like jerk because IT is unlikely you will run into someone again (or the % are a lot less) after being as idiot..

it was one of many choices that honestly HURT WoW (they did a lot of things that i am sure the DEVs there regret now .. and sadly now so many games are emulating the very same things)

glad my sun is up soon

Oh please, I've played several MMO's with cross server and I come across trolls/ninja looters no more than I do in games with single server queues. Those type of players will act like that regardless of single server or cross server queuing. This type of "fear mongering" to keep cross servers away is absolute BS.

Oh please, I've played several MMO's with cross server and I come across trolls/ninja looters no more than I do in games with single server queues. Those type of players will act like that regardless of single server or cross server queuing. This type of "fear mongering" to keep cross servers away is absolute BS.

Agreed...

You'll run across the same type of people (every server has their issues with these types). But, on the other hand, you'll also run across a larger number of decent players as well.

Only problem I see with Cross Server (unless it was opened to all missions (i.e. Ops and such) is that I gain friends in Queued missions that later invite to do other things with... only being able to queue with them would be a let down.

If it werent for the nightmares expressed by those who have survived server mergers, I'd advocate a single server/cluster per region (EU/NA)

Any chance this could mean cross faction communication? Especially with the events in recent story content, with both factions openly communicating, it just seems such a needless restriction to be unable to talk to friends when they swap to opposite faction alts, or to not be able to even use custom /emote for cross faction RP. :)

They can create/enhance all the way they want but without chat bubbles it will still be only a pantomime. And i hate mimes.

They can create/enhance all the way they want but without chat bubbles it will still be only a pantomime. And i hate mimes.

Yes, because looking into chat window is so much work compared to sifting through pile of bubbles popping all over the place...

I remember how Stormwind looked, and I do not want to see that horror again...

Hey folks,

At our fan event in Las Vegas, one of the things we stated is that we are working to address the concerns of things like queue times and uneven server populations and that we would provide an update before the end of the year. As you might expect we're not ready to tell you exactly what we are working on yet, but we did want to go into what our goals are for next year.

• To address issues of queue times across all types of content, both PvP and PvE.
  • The continued ability to define your chosen server playstyle, PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP.
  • We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

In the coming months we will be releasing more details. We appreciate your patience as we work towards these goals.

-eric

Or you could focus on the terrible lag issues first.

Yes, because looking into chat window is so much work compared to sifting through pile of bubbles popping all over the place...

I remember how Stormwind looked, and I do not want to see that horror again...

lol That would be funny. I have never been in a game that had bubbles.

lol That would be funny. I have never been in a game that had bubbles.

Well, chat bubbles are a nice concept....and they work well to RP when it's you and one or a few others. HOWEVER, multiply it by FLEET and it would be absurd and would probably crash the server.

Compromise Sugggestion: Permit it inside Cantinas, and Cantinas only. People who want chat bubble RP can meet up in a Cantina and bubble to their hearts content, without impacting other players.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks,

[*]We also would love to use this opportunity to enhance/create social systems. It’s a big ole’ galaxy and we want it to feel that way.

-eric

Good, your server implementation clearly needs work...and if you really feel its a big ole galaxy, you shouldn't have made a pure, on the rails, themepark. Biggest BW goof, ever. As Damon Schubert said, it would be one of the biggest wastes of the star wars IP possible, and that is exactly what you turned around and did...after telling us you wouldn't...epic fail.

Edited by Dyvim

• 1 month later...
Any chance this could mean cross faction communication? Especially with the events in recent story content, with both factions openly communicating, it just seems such a needless restriction to be unable to talk to friends when they swap to opposite faction alts, or to not be able to even use custom /emote for cross faction RP. :)

Been campaigning for this since beta...

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder why this thread became silent...

Any news on this subject?

Whenever there's a crisis, Bioware just go mute. Happened when the game died straight after launch. Summer was VERY cold, dark and silent. Then they announced F2P. Since Bioware never learn from their mistakes, I bet the same is happening again.

SWTOR appears to be turning in to an 'ultra' casual game when people only play over a weekend. Server pops die very quickly. This time last year, TRE would be standard/heavy and today it remains 'light'.

ToFn is only standard for an hour or 2 and turns light BEFORE 10pm.

I hope that for a change, they act much faster than before.

What must be done to speed the process up?

Player name wipes from accounts that haven't logged in for 2 years+

For EU, Merge ALL PvE German,French and English in to one server. TRE is full of non English speaking anyone, so it won't make a difference.

Do the same for RP and PvP servers.

If losing your character name is the price to pay, so be it. I'd rather that then spend an hour waiting for a Q pop.

Whenever there's a crisis, Bioware just go mute. Happened when the game died straight after launch. Summer was VERY cold, dark and silent. Then they announced F2P. Since Bioware never learn from their mistakes, I bet the same is happening again.

You heard it here first folks: SWTOR is going Free-er Free to Play!

You heard it here first folks: SWTOR is going Free-er Free to Play!

LOL - maybe, maybe. Locking content behind pay walls is bad for everyone. Especially when they content is 4 years old.

The fact Operations and Warzone passes are on the CM at a discount, could prove it as a test to try and pick things up before actually removing them altogether. It's the first time they have ever been on sale.

But instead of just taking the hit on the chin, they just see if they can get those extra few nickles and dimes first but by the time they realise thats the wrong approach, it will be too late.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey folks,

-eric

So uh, "in the coming months", it's kinda almost middle of April Bioware :rak_02:

5 months is enough time that you have to say something.

We can't do this right now because we found it wasn't possible

We can't do it due to lack of resources

We are doing it, it will be here

we are doing it, here's more information.

Even "we know this is something that exists, but we aren't ready to go public with anything yet" is marginally better than silence

LOL...

Still waiting for the magical "Better than Cross Server PVP" to come out.. we are 4 months in to the year already and at least 6 months since that comment was made.

Let's be honest.. they need to step up the communications game. The 2015 Roadbump was not exactly a work of art and lacked some details in communications.

Glad to see Costume Designer is coming up this month, but what else besides Ziost is coming?

My best guess is they will announce that they are working on it. And the announcement Will be 12-30-2015. The announcement will go something like this, We are close but we can't say much about it. We will give more details in the next coming year......