The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The coalition base on Yavin needs to be neutral territory.

Beakertanks

Not really. I do not think it is too much to ask that there is no single point in this game that poor game environment design leads to an unintended death. I use the stipulations of "uninteded" as some stories, you kind of are meant to die."

Everytime you have to /stuck on a guild ship you fall through the floor and die. That's way more inconvenient too since you're fully loaded and have to watch you slowly fall through until you die, vs on Y4 where you load in dead instead of alive and click a button and are fully revived.

The inconvenience to the person who's dead doesn't seem very high at all for it to be a 'be all end all should never ever happen.'

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime you have to /stuck on a guild ship you fall through the floor and die. That's way more inconvenient too since you're fully loaded and have to watch you slowly fall through until you die, vs on Y4 where you load in dead instead of alive and click a button and are fully revived.

The inconvenience to the person who's dead doesn't seem very high at all for it to be a 'be all end all should never ever happen.'

Not sure what your point is. Answer after answer defending lacking game design just because "it could be worse"? *** man. It could be better, too, you know...

I was under the impression that leihn agreed this needed to change. The argument was over the definition of PVP.

And in the most literal sense it could be argued that any combat interaction with another player is considered a form of PVP...Player Vs Player.

Whether you wish to call it true PVP is personal choice. I know many folks that do not consider OWPVP true PVP, and certainly plenty that do not care to classify GSF as PVP.

Whether or not is is considered PVP is not an argument for or against the practice. The practice should not be allowed. It is not in the proper likely "spirit" of PVP. Certainly not fair game rules.

Edited by LordArtemis

Thats a glitch, not bad game design.

Not sure what your point is. Answer after answer defending lacking game design just because "it could be worse"? *** man. It could be better, too, you know...

I'm not defending the lack of Sanctuary in Yavin, I'd be ecstatic for everyone who didn't want to interact with people to not be interacted with on their spawn point even though they chose an always on interaction server, because I know lots of people who have communities and friends on their respective servers and just want to get on with their lives and play the game they want to play and it'd be of minimal cost to others for them to have this in place.

I am merely pointing out that for anyone who's a subscriber it's barely an inconvenience (you just med probe up, use the stealth and walk to the taxi and no one can kill you), and that the concept that pvp must always be some honorable 1v1 fight to the death is a fairly narrow view of what owpvp should be. I mean, is 1v2 unfair? what about 10v11? What's fair and how do you determine why it's fair. Also, why does fair matter at all?

Lets assume it's not the coalition base, but instead it's just outside the speeder landing point, where there's 100 imperials camping the entire base keeping the republic from ever going outside. Is that also not an acceptable form of owpvp?

I was under the impression that leihn agreed this needed to change. The argument was over the definition of PVP.

And in the most literal sense it could be argued that any combat interaction with another player is considered a form of PVP...Player Vs Player.

This is a correct summation of my views on this topic.

Only because I think there is no QoL change to the gankers (they can just as easily set up shop outside the base and continue ganking) but is a significant QoL change to the gankees, they can now access quest NPCs and vendors.

I'm not against people ganking or camping (even though I wouldn't waste my time doing it) and I don't consider that to be less PvP or more PvP though. The "spirit" of PvP is something I am not sure can be definable by each individual.

Some of the best owpvp I've had has been responding to calls on fleet for people to fight off large gank squads and protect your own faction.

Edited by leihn

I like playing Pub. I know most people don't. I know I am always going to be outnumbered. I know there is nothing that can be done about it. So please don't make me suffer further by allowing this stupidity to continue. It's not like this on Rishii. There are plenty of opportunities for the imps to gank in the quest area.

Rather then make it truly neutral... how about just put neutral guards that are uber strong and will neuter any character that picks a fight in their jurisdiction? And, let the mechanic scale with the number of players picking a fight too.. to avoid guild level ganking.

While they are at it.. they should throw a -25% full stat debuf (30 minutes, and cannot be dispelled) on any player that invites a sanction from the guards. And make it a debuff that does NOT count down while the character is logged out too. :D I would welcome the rant threads it would generate too.

A much better solution IMO. There should be firm consequences for offenders, and I like that better then just making it impossible for PvP there.

Edited by Andryah

Rather then make it truly neutral... how about just put neutral guards that are uber strong and will neuter any character that picks a fight in their jurisdiction? And, let the mechanic scale with the number of players picking a fight too.. to avoid guild level ganking.

While they are at it.. they should throw a -25% full stat debuf (30 minutes, and cannot be dispelled) on any player that invites a sanction from the guards. :D

A much better solution IMO.

eh that'd require coding something new. just make the area a sanctuary.

open world pvp is great, this game need more incentives for it to happen

what sucks is the ability for the dominant faction to spawn camp rez pads and basically block off quest givers and vendors at will.

let me load into the planet before having to deal with the gank squads please and thanks

the faction camps after the 1st speeder have champion guards all over them so you can at least hit up a mailbox and medical droid before it turns into a 20 v 1

I like playing Pub. I know most people don't. I know I am always going to be outnumbered. I know there is nothing that can be done about it. So please don't make me suffer further by allowing this stupidity to continue. It's not like this on Rishii. There are plenty of opportunities for the imps to gank in the quest area.
my favourite players...complaining about PvP on a PvP server

there is literally one reason to play on a PvP server; players are automatically flagged for PvP. what are you complaining about? the fact you're flagged for PvP.

please just transfer servers.

name one other planet in game where you can step off your ship into instant death

One day pubs were being a***s on Quesh, there was a patrol of several 55s running around to kill lowbies so I logged on my 55 op., went to the main pub base and proceeded in killing the people that were spawning at the shuttle.

Granted that it is a little different from Yavin as in the medcenter is not right next to the place where you land so you can easily escape campers there is still a possibility to attack people when they land in some areas.

I am not advocating this behaviour, I also wish that this area will be fixed and made a sanctuary. I am just pointing out the fact that ganking a landing area is possible outside Yavin. What makes Yavin unbearable is the fact that you respawn at the same location where you land so it is easier for idiots to camp you.

Edited by demotivator

I'm on a PvP server and I'm with the OP on this...I'm 100% fine getting jumped while out questing...but it's bull $#!^ that it happens as I'm loading in...especially given the freaking faction disparity this game suffers from. I'm fine dying, I love PvPing...but getting ganked by AOEs as I load in is just stupid...why would you support such stupidity?
yes because clicking "resurrect at med centre" and instantly appearing 5ft away is tough work.

if you love PvP so much u shouldn't be whining about PvP.

yes because clicking "resurrect at med centre" and instantly appearing 5ft away is tough work.

if you love PvP so much u shouldn't be whining about PvP.

You realize that gankers are mostly camping the shuttle where people spawn as they land and that this is also the medcenter, right? Hence when you rez you get caught up in AOE again. That's called spawn camping and there is no way that it can be intended in this area.

But I can't expect common sense from a PvPer.

Edited by demotivator

One day pubs were being a***s on Quesh, there was a patrol of several 55s running around to kill lowbies so I logged on my 55 op., went to the main pub base and proceeded in killing the people that were spawning at the shuttle.

Granted that it is a little different from Yavin as in the medcenter is not right next to the place where you land so you can easily escape campers there is still a possibility to attack people when they land in some areas.

I am not advocating this behaviour, I also wish that this area will be fixed and made a sanctuary. I am just pointing out the fact ganking a landing area is possible outside Yavin.

Thats true but you also have to consider the traveling time the campers have to take when they revive and the space needed. With Yavin if you kill them they will comeback immediately. There is no traveling or coordination needed and there is no way to escape them as you need to be out of combat to use the travel point.

You are effectively boxed in with no escape and the only way to overcome the camping is to have greater numbers.

I signed up for PvP yes. PvP is not about killing people who can't fight back. PvP is about testing yourself against others. Not farming them from respawn because your faction has way more people than theirs.

People who think that PvP means that its ok to exploit anything and everything just to allow you to unfairly troll other players, other people, these players are the rot that ruins the PvP communities.

If you kill someone it should be because you bested them purely on account of skill, not because you killed them when they cannot fight back.

PvP is about players versus players. period.

your personal interpretation is yours and you're entitled to it. I'm not forced to follow it though. red is dead. your special rules are great for you and you should follow them. you are flagged and I have your consent to kill you.

the sole reason for being on a PvP server is that you're automatically flagged and therefore always consenting to being attacked. whether you are high level, low level, engaged with mobs or not. if you don't like being automatically flagged, there are a few pve servers that would be perfect for you.

Edited by Pagy

You realize that gankers are mostly camping the shuttle where people spawn as they land and that this is also the medcenter, right? Hence when you rez you get caught up in AOE again. That's called spawn camping and there is no way that it can be intended in this area.

But I can't expect common sense from a PvPer.

it's PvP on a PvP server. its a multiplayer game.

make some friends and fight back.

common sense dictates that if you don't want to be flagged for PvP, don't flag for it. in this case: don't play on a PvP server.

I have nothing against people that want to unflag and quest. there's a server type for that tho and this ain't it. it's bad enough that PvP servers even have "sanctuary" areas.

I don't agree. I think any sensible person would concede that PVP should not happen in this area. This is not normal PVP any more than being able to attack someone when they are logged out would be PVP.

It is a turkey shoot. Bioware has made it clear, IMO, that they do not condone this type of behavior in the past by making adjustments, and I expect they will likely do the same here.

Naturally there are going to be folks that want to keep it in place....free kills and all that. But I think this will likely change in the short term.