Anyone else leaving SWTOR until 12xp comes back?

Highsis

Yea, I do not generally agree with the sentiment that adding in 12XP as a perk for subs, legacy based would somehow impact the game negatively for other players.

I think quite the opposite.

I think that stand is more than likely based on the resistance to anything that moves MMOs into a more casual friendly environment than anything else. And at this point that is likely a losing battle.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't live eternity, and our times have be to be spent wisely, be it work, romance, or entertainment such as this.

It is an undeniable truth that SWTOR forces you to repeat the same side quests 4 times on each faction when you start an alt. This means, after your first character, you are forced to spend over 150 hours of repetition with absolutely no entertainment value(unless you enjoy doing the same things over and over while leveling) to get a character to end game contents. That is a whole month of spending 5 hours a day, doing things that is not enjoyable.

After 12xp, I've tried to raise an alt, spent 30 hours to get to level 30 with all legacy unlocks and available boosts by repeating KDY like 30 times, then decided it's not worth my time. This is literally stupidest thing I could do with my leisure time. 99% games are more enjoyable and shorter than repeating the same SQ in SWTOR. I would rather play Ride to Hell:Retribution(the game that scored 1/10 in GS review.)

SWTOR does not have enough side quests to avoid repetition, and on top of that, those fillers are not even well-made. The time and efforts it takes to normally level up is simply not worth it. Bioware should seriously consider bringing back 12xp in CC or legacy unlock because otherwise the leveling contents are simply too awful to repeat after the first time and Bioware is not really getting long-term profit by taking it away when people don't bother to play like me.

I am unsubbing and I somehow doubt something like 12xp will ever come back. SWTOR felt very enjoyable while it lasted. :(

So you're spoiled, and don't want to play the game if you can't level at a limited time only pace? This is what's wrong with our culture. Instant gratification.

"If you don't like something don't do it" seems to be the mantra of the 12x xp'ers. But there is one problem. This is a MMO and what others do affects the game you play. Let me try to give an example using another game that I love to play. Street Fighter.... I practice every day to master my combinations and study tactics to beat my opponent.

Then one day Capcom decides the game is "way too difficult" and decides to dumb it down by making the game use just 2 buttons kick and punch and removed combos and just so "others can have fun too" sound good right? Well Capcom just destroyed the game. Why? Because they took the challenging aspect out of the game and ruined it. And they destroyed spirit of the guy who spent countless hours playing the game only to have all his efforts wasted by the new dumbed down system.

Now this is all hypothetical and may or may not translate well in the Swtor world, but hopefully you get my point. By allowing players to zip from 1-60 in a matter of hours (not days or weeks) bioware would be basically dumbing down the game to the point where it wouldn't be fun for anyone.

What you say might be true if it wasn't so patently false. In the first because it is an MMO isn't an excuse. And no it doesn't translate at all. They said if they added it then it would be optional so you can still slog through everything to your hearts content if that is what you mean. If you mean an MMO should never change because people already played it that doesn't hold up either. You don't even try the "people wouldn't know how to play their characters" excuse I hear a lot, but the fact that many don't any way means that isn't true either.

Finally cutting out the grind doesn't in any way make the game simpler because grinding isn't difficult. It is boring and time consuming, but it takes no level of skill. Again I don't see how people playing differently is going to change your "fun".

Edited by Sorwen

So you're spoiled, and don't want to play the game if you can't level at a limited time only pace? This is what's wrong with our culture. Instant gratification.

Also, has anyone else kinda scratched their head at his leveling method? I mean Iv'e heard KDY can give good xp, but if he's gained 30 levels in 30 hours, after starting at 1, then that's just a wretched waste of his time.

I've played this game on and off since open beta. I've deleted many 50's over the years to make room for new alts. I currently have 15/15 slots with 2 level 40's, 1 level 10(new character) 1 level 53 and 9 55's, 1 56 and 1 58.

The 12x xp was a godsend as I was finally able to get my galactic mastery achievement by getting the last 20 levels on my 4 pub toons. And while I wish I had finished my other non-55's during this 12x thing I don't really see the profit in it.

You level so fast that you're so outdated on gear it was ridiculous. I had to burn through all my mats to make mods/enhancements every 10 levels for each character I was leveling and their companions.

I would like to see 12x come back for something like a weekend every 2 months or so, but other than that no.

I probably wouldn't use 12xp if it were to be offered. I only level characters when I have no end game to do, so by the time that happens I'll probably be interested in seeing the planet stories again too. And with guild bonus, rested bonus, and just the free xp bonus consumables I can level on non-2xp weekends with only class story and planet story forgoing all side quests and heroics.

We don't live eternity, and our times have be to be spent wisely, be it work, romance, or entertainment such as this.

It is an undeniable truth that SWTOR forces you to repeat the same side quests 4 times on each faction when you start an alt. This means, after your first character, you are forced to spend over 150 hours of repetition with absolutely no entertainment value(unless you enjoy doing the same things over and over while leveling) to get a character to end game contents. That is a whole month of spending 5 hours a day, doing things that is not enjoyable.

After 12xp, I've tried to raise an alt, spent 30 hours to get to level 30 with all legacy unlocks and available boosts by repeating KDY like 30 times, then decided it's not worth my time. This is literally stupidest thing I could do with my leisure time. 99% games are more enjoyable and shorter than repeating the same SQ in SWTOR. I would rather play Ride to Hell:Retribution(the game that scored 1/10 in GS review.)

SWTOR does not have enough side quests to avoid repetition, and on top of that, those fillers are not even well-made. The time and efforts it takes to normally level up is simply not worth it. Bioware should seriously consider bringing back 12xp in CC or legacy unlock because otherwise the leveling contents are simply too awful to repeat after the first time and Bioware is not really getting long-term profit by taking it away when people don't bother to play like me.

I am unsubbing and I somehow doubt something like 12xp will ever come back. SWTOR felt very enjoyable while it lasted. :(

Stuff?

Yea, I do not generally agree with the sentiment that adding in 12XP as a perk for subs, legacy based would somehow impact the game negatively for other players.

I think quite the opposite.

I think that stand is more than likely based on the resistance to anything that moves MMOs into a more casual friendly environment than anything else. And at this point that is likely a losing battle.

Actually it's bad business for subs most of all. Here is the why of it. The benefit of the subscription player, to the company, vs the f2p player or even preferred, is that the subscriber is a guaranteed revenue stream. This revenue stream is maintained by a grind. You want to disguise the grind as best you can but eliminating that grind results in players hitting the level cap way to quick. For your casual solo player this often means "I won SWTOR"> sub cancel>loss of revenue>until next expac. If you are more of the flashpoint or OPS kinda players moving onto them to fast, clearing the stuff for the umpteeth time too fast then saying "I am bored"> canceled sub> lost revenue>until next expac.

That has been and always will be the nature of MMOs. Unlike Single player RPGs, due to the logistics of designing and hosting the game with the servers as well as an overall smaller customer base to draw from, MMOs, even f2p ones, rely on people to keep playing.

Your Single player games don't have to sweat this. They come out with a full new version almost yearly and it can actually be easier to create an entirely new product at times rather than spend the time and money to make the expac mesh with what came before. Additionally you do not have to be concerned with constant patches, hot fixes, and keeping a server farm up and running. The grind has NOTHING and never had anything to do with casual v hardcore and everything to do with making a game of this nature money over the long term. There are simply not enough people playing MMOs (compared to other types of video games) for a game not to have a grind in an attempt to keep customers "theirs", especially with all the added competition of late for this finite player base.

Actually it's bad business for subs most of all. Here is the why of it. The benefit of the subscription player, to the company, vs the f2p player or even preferred, is that the subscriber is a guaranteed revenue stream. This revenue stream is maintained by a grind. You want to disguise the grind as best you can but eliminating that grind results in players hitting the level cap way to quick. For your casual solo player this often means "I won SWTOR"> sub cancel>loss of revenue>until next expac. If you are more of the flashpoint or OPS kinda players moving onto them to fast, clearing the stuff for the umpteeth time too fast then saying "I am bored"> canceled sub> lost revenue>until next expac.

That has been and always will be the nature of MMOs. Unlike Single player RPGs, due to the logistics of designing and hosting the game with the servers as well as an overall smaller customer base to draw from, MMOs, even f2p ones, rely on people to keep playing.

Your Single player games don't have to sweat this. They come out with a full new version almost yearly and it can actually be easier to create an entirely new product at times rather than spend the time and money to make the expac mesh with what came before. Additionally you do not have to be concerned with constant patches, hot fixes, and keeping a server farm up and running. The grind has NOTHING and never had anything to do with casual v hardcore and everything to do with making a game of this nature money over the long term. There are simply not enough people playing MMOs (compared to other types of video games) for a game not to have a grind in an attempt to keep customers "theirs", especially with all the added competition of late for this finite player base.

Your point certainly seems logical on the surface, and perhaps in other games that would ring true, but this game has demonstrated IMO that adding slow leveling mechanics did NOT do anything to promote player retention in the first year of the game's launch.

Quite the opposite....hardcore players burned through the content like they always do, and casuals arguably became bored with the tedium and walked away from the game.

It had the opposite effect. I expect that 12XP demonstrated that casual folks are most interested in the storylines and tend to frown on the side fluff.

You keep casuals playing by offering alternate gameplay, RP elements, minigames, appearance design and goals, toys (of course), QoL and an enjoyable leveling experience. 12XP did and would provide the latter IMO.

This game appears to break away from the standard mold in this particular respect.

Edited by LordArtemis

I haven read all pages in this thread so if this has been said by someone else i apologize.

Have x12 xp boost active for level 1-55 for subscribers. Once you ding 55 its removed and you go on to spend the time leveling on Rishi and Yavin 4.

For a game that has been out as long as this, it would pherhaps attract more people and keep current subscribers more willing to level more alts and as a result have more to do at 60 with more alts to gear.

Your point certainly seems logical on the surface, and perhaps in other games that would ring true, but this game has demonstrated IMO that adding slow leveling mechanics did NOT do anything to promote player retention in the first year of the game's launch.

Quite the opposite....hardcore players burned through the content like they always do, and casuals arguably became bored with the tedium and walked away from the game.

It had the opposite effect. I expect that 12XP demonstrated that casual folks are most interested in the storylines and tend to frown on the side fluff.

You keep casuals playing by offering alternate gameplay, RP elements, minigames, appearance design and goals, toys (of course), QoL and an enjoyable leveling experience. 12XP did and would provide the latter IMO.

This game appears to break away from the standard mold in this particular respect.

Youre reaching, the same as the guy you quoted, you have no possible way to determine if thats the outcome of the fastmode xp.

Sure, there are those in the game now that will enjoy this feature and continue to enjoy and actively play the game, but you cant for a second, say that it wont hasten others out the door as they finish the story. And, group content took a massive dive during that event, that's not an opinion.

I commented on your other post you made about this, and you couldn't reply as there is no real counter to my argument, and I finished with saying, if they did implement this, that it must be gated behind real money and only real money, though legacy 50 would be ok, as they need to make money off the people on the way out the door.

Edited by Mowermanx

You are one of the more level headed people in this thread. Most of it is vulgar "my way or the highway" mentality.

Players who level characters with the intent to use them in ops are going to learn them. Period. So, there is no problem of L2P there.

Those who are making alts with 12x simply to see the story in SP mode probably never intended to do endgame with them. So, no loss to endgamers there. And if someone decides to go further after the story is done, then they will learn from either themselves or those willing to teach. It's not like it's rocket science and EDIT: slow leveling and simple side quests make a great player.

As to the notion that it would lead to players leaving...well, I don't agree. It's just as likely for a player who wants to play those stories through to leave as it is for an artificial grind to make them stay.

I'd also like to say, regarding the notion of casuals being more transitory, is hogwash in my experience. Hardcore raiders are notorious for burning through content and leaving or mmo hopping until the next xpak/raid addition to whatever game it is that is popular. They aren't loyal at all, in fact they seem to be the most disloyal players that i've seen. Compared to those who enjoy the world they are playing in. As opposed to those who enjoy not the world, but whatever private instance they can hide themselves in...in a massively multiplayer game. Yeah they like to throw that around as if hiding in a 12 man private instance is massive in any way.

I think that 12x was a manifestation of a goal of theirs for awhile. They already had the ground laid with the legacy perks. They probably just wanted to see how popular it was and if it was viable for those who have, since launch, wanted a way to play through class stories exclusively.

It will be back, in some form. I like it.

Edited by veevito

I do have to laugh at the whole cybermacho "How will they learn to hardcore raid with their class if they don't have to grind 1 XP at a time over the course of 10 years by making bitter bread from the crushed bones of NPCs!?!?!?! The outrage of someone enjoying the leveling experience! You're supposed to be suffering for every level, building a character builds character! Pain is weakness leaving the body!"

:rolleyes:

Edited by Max_Killjoy

I didn't pre-order SoR, nor do I have a max level character. In my opinion, the idea of repeating all of the side-quests on another toon seems rather daunting. While I do not object, and will (without hesitation) roll more than one max level toon, it would be nice to see some sort of system in place to reduce the number of "filler" quests one needs to do on each planet.

Something along the lines of a legacy unlock. A percentage of XP boost for story only quests based on the number of max level characters a player has acquired of that faction. Nothing crazy, i'm talking a 1.25x for 1 toon, 1.5x for 2 toons, and +0.25 for each max level toon (deleted characters do not count and they must maintain level cap) of that faction.

Either way, I think these crazy xp boosts are good for bringing back unsubbed players to allow them to jump right in to a new expansion provided they pre-order. Permanent 12x boost? I would have to decline.

Sorry if this post is a bit hard to follow, i've got a bit of a head cold and am about three beers deep.

Youre reaching, the same as the guy you quoted, you have no possible way to determine if thats the outcome of the fastmode xp.

Sure, there are those in the game now that will enjoy this feature and continue to enjoy and actively play the game, but you cant for a second, say that it wont hasten others out the door as they finish the story. And, group content took a massive dive during that event, that's not an opinion.

I commented on your other post you made about this, and you couldn't reply as there is no real counter to my argument, and I finished with saying, if they did implement this, that it must be gated behind real money and only real money, though legacy 50 would be ok, as they need to make money off the people on the way out the door.

I still don't think it hastens anyone out the door since a "casual" would still have months of time to see the story. Months that they might not have spent in the game. Even with the boost, it seems like you think that a casual would blow through multiple class stories. I've seen that alot...Because a person who plays 6 plus hours a day would cap means everyone would. Not even close. A contradiction there. If you'd cap in days with the boost you are beyond the target and have nothing to worry about. Those are experienced players looking to cap alts.

But, If it hastens others out the door, then they had no intention of being a part of your group anyway. That's part of what is missed here. Forcing group or repetitious side content does nothing to make for an enjoyable experience for anyone., not groupers or those who are not.

Certainly there should be great group content, but if group content relies on forcing people into it, then it is no longer beneficial to anyone and the game suffers. Let people gravitate to what they enjoy.

Legacy 50 would negate anyone interested in such a perk. Except hardcore players who, if they have played enough to get it, already know how to play and are simply looking for a fast route for alts.

Edited by veevito

I still don't think it hastens anyone out the door since a "casual" would still have months of time to see the story. Months that they might not have spent in the game. Even with the boost, it seems like you think that a casual would blow through multiple class stories. I've seen that alot...Because a person who plays 6 plus hours a day would cap means everyone would. Not even close. A contradiction there. If you'd cap in days with the boost you are beyond the target and have nothing to worry about. Those are experienced players looking to cap alts.

But, If it hastens others out the door, then they had no intention of being a part of your group anyway. That's part of what is missed here. Forcing group or repetitious side content does nothing to make for an enjoyable experience for anyone., not groupers or those who are not.

Certainly there should be great group content, but if group content relies on forcing people into it, then it is no longer beneficial to anyone and the game suffers. Let people gravitate to what they enjoy.

Legacy 50 would negate anyone interested in such a perk. Except hardcore players who, if they have played enough to get it, already know how to play and are simply looking for a fast route for alts.

Your post is all over the place and very hard to follow, but one thing is quite clear, your post is full of conjecture.

As for the group content, this is an MMO, if they decide to make it into Kotor online, so be it, but until that happens, it is what it is and the xp is a detriment to that.

Having people in the game that do not do group content and/or don't spend any money, does not help the game and are only a hindrance the game is better off without.

Why does everyone in this damn community want everything handed to them? Oh I don't wanna pay for skills again, BW caved and making them free again because people complained. The 12xp was marketing ploy to get returning and new players interested in the game again. I am a returner, their 12xp drew me back and yes it was nice while it lasted, I definitely wouldn't want that a permanent bonus. Look how much fun you had the first time playing and going through all the planetary storylines. Don't wanna deprive new players that.

In short, stop wanting everything for free, work for your game.

That's why most here are proposing a toggle option so you can choose to do so. I know I would. I don't get a chance to play that much because of work/family/life in general. The 12x perk brought me back. I could play for a bit and level my toon/character at my leisure. I don't have the time grind through every class with the same side-quests again and again. I've enjoyed the side-quests once or twice. Yes I had fun doing so.

As mentioned before not everyone has the time as most here. This perk is well worth the monthly sub for me. This is the only way I could spend time doing so. The F2P options weren't that great and you won't find me spending money on Cartel points for perks and XP boosts.

Give it a subscriber perk with toggle for those that finished at least one of the class stories.

The entire casual v hard core argument is a straw man imo, in this game and most tbh. The only game that I would say openly discourages casual players at this point is EVE online. Of the 12x exp hurt anyone the most I would say it was the casual (if RPG/stories are important to ya.) You blew through leveling to the point that you missed "natural" growth with your companions, out leveled some quests so that you moved onto the next planet before any sense of immersion could be maintained etc.

These companies aren't silly. They design the leveling paradigm with a specific purpose. Back in the hey day of Ever crack, and as recently as the mid 2000s Universities have done studies on the very topic of what makes these games engaging and addictive. Everything from interviews, data mining (ask SOE about the controversy of turning over EQ2 server data which included chat logs to academics) and brain scans. All have concluded it is in essence the Pavlovian effect of DING "I got a level..."... DING " I got credits."

Sorry but human psychology is human psychology. One game is not going to miraculously operate under different rules. They may attract a different attitude, but in the end that core foundation exists...Pavlov. What hurt this game in the first year was a few things.... Unrealistic expectations on the part of the Parent company (there will NEVER be a WoW again) which lead to an inflated budget (even the BBC World Service was doing stories about how much money was spent and how it made stock a "stay" or sell rather than buy) together these lead to unexpected expectations on the part of the company, which forced a launch of a game with more than a few major issues (unfinished engine?) and the player base who had the understandable idea of "lots of money+Star Wars=smashing success."

News flash. There will NEVER be another WoW. I could write an essay as to why. Before and now after an MMORPG that can snag 500k-1 million consistent paying players is a smashing success...250k? More than respectable. However companies expect a WoW killer and Player now think "millions of sub's or you suck".

I don't mean to be be rude but I really think you are to a certain extent projecting your desires onto something larger. The mere fact that there are decent to high quality f2p games out there and you had to sub in order for 12x the exp kinda shoot your theory in the foot, before we even look at what makes MMOs work successfully based on history and science.

The entire casual v hard core argument is a straw man imo, in this game and most tbh. The only game that I would say openly discourages casual players at this point is EVE online. Of the 12x exp hurt anyone the most I would say it was the casual (if RPG/stories are important to ya.) You blew through leveling to the point that you missed "natural" growth with your companions, out leveled some quests so that you moved onto the next planet before any sense of immersion could be maintained etc.

These companies aren't silly. They design the leveling paradigm with a specific purpose. Back in the hey day of Ever crack, and as recently as the mid 2000s Universities have done studies on the very topic of what makes these games engaging and addictive. Everything from interviews, data mining (ask SOE about the controversy of turning over EQ2 server data which included chat logs to academics) and brain scans. All have concluded it is in essence the Pavlovian effect of DING "I got a level..."... DING " I got credits."

Sorry but human psychology is human psychology. One game is not going to miraculously operate under different rules. They may attract a different attitude, but in the end that core foundation exists...Pavlov. What hurt this game in the first year was a few things.... Unrealistic expectations on the part of the Parent company (there will NEVER be a WoW again) which lead to an inflated budget (even the BBC World Service was doing stories about how much money was spent and how it made stock a "stay" or sell rather than buy) together these lead to unexpected expectations on the part of the company, which forced a launch of a game with more than a few major issues (unfinished engine?) and the player base who had the understandable idea of "lots of money+Star Wars=smashing success."

News flash. There will NEVER be another WoW. I could write an essay as to why. Before and now after an MMORPG that can snag 500k-1 million consistent paying players is a smashing success...250k? More than respectable. However companies expect a WoW killer and Player now think "millions of sub's or you suck".

I don't mean to be be rude but I really think you are to a certain extent projecting your desires onto something larger. The mere fact that there are decent to high quality f2p games out there and you had to sub in order for 12x the exp kinda shoot your theory in the foot, before we even look at what makes MMOs work successfully based on history and science.

Fair enough. I think we should simply agree to disagree and leave it at that. I appreciate the discussion.

This is quite possibly the saddest post I have ever read. Dude, this game has the best leveling experience of any game ever. Anybody who is angry about it is seriously missing the entire point of this game.

Basically, if you don't have time for mmo's .. DON'T PLAY THEM!!

By this day and age it should be WELL known that mmo's require such play, hell i started mmo's when UO came out. Now THEN you had grinding and guess what? I ENJOYED IT

For me i learnt what the game needed me to do, enjoyed knowing that at any minute some a-hole could kill me, or try lol

Then ppl started moaning that they don't have enough time, that they were killed, corpse camped etc etc

If you don't have enough time for a style of gaming, play one of the many others

You were killed .. get over it

corpse camped .. play a seperate toon, let them sit there like idiots while you play on another

So many of the 'problems' that ppl bring up about mmo's can be solved by them just 'thinking'