SWTOR on mac

bobonij

Apple's model just doesn't support 3rd parties developing their hardware. They control the design experience from end to end.

I can only imagine what multi-touch gesturing would be like if they had to rely on different hardware manufacturers to build a machine to support their OS.

At the end of the day I could build my own car as well, but I prefer to just go buy one already built. I am the target market. :)

That's odd since Apple has never made their own hardware. Back in the PowerPC days, PowerPC was made by IBM. Now that they use the same hardware as normal PCs, like Intel CPUs, AMD GPUs, etc, they still don't make their own hardware. They make the OS and restrict you to using it on "their" hardware, by using a TPM.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quit excusing EA and BioWare's pathetic laziness, sure some people don't want Macs, but BioWare and EA can and will profit from making the game work for them. Sadly stupid decision on the part of the two and incredibly stupid that you all are bashing macs. It's a type of computer, let it go and let it play. Edited by Jellison

Quit excusing EA and BioWare's pathetic laziness, sure some people don't want Macs, but BioWare and EA can and will profit from making the game work for them. Sadly stupid decision on the part of the two and incredibly stupid that you all are bashing macs. It's a type of computer, let it go and let it play.

It's a PC just like the rest of the PCs out there. The issue at hand is will it make them enough money to offset the development costs since they have to write the entire game for a Unix OS to do so.

Quit excusing EA and BioWare's pathetic laziness, sure some people don't want Macs, but BioWare and EA can and will profit from making the game work for them. Sadly stupid decision on the part of the two and incredibly stupid that you all are bashing macs. It's a type of computer, let it go and let it play.

Who's bashing? I personally think it would have made sense to be cross platform on day one, but Bioware has always supported their Mac audience, and they've announced they're 'looking at' releasing an OS X version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002579

I mean like one of those. Mine was only $1500 since after building my computer that's all I could really get. Still nice, but that NEC, and some more expensive ones, are better.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Edited by daemian

probably not anytime soon. I remember a Q&A before it was released that asked the same question. They said they had no plans for a mac client, but they would make sure it would run in bootcamp.

Reactionfrom their side on a ticket that I filed, was that the bootcamp is not supported.

So If you have an issue with swtor on your mac. Then good luck with workarounds.

I'm actually having issues with loading screen as the whole screen hangs and there is just that wait cursor. Workaround is to send Ctrl+Alt+del and switch back to application ...

Yeah it's annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

On the subject of Mac s as gaming machines...noone has mentioned the real reason why Macs are NOT gaming machines.

And thats DirectX.

Microsoft has developed what apears to be at the moment the only gaming platform available at the moment, and all "vanila" GPU card manufacturers are dancing on Microsoft's beat.

So even if your Mac has a great 3D capable graphics card, it lacks the proper software to use it.

There used to be OpenGL , and there still is, which linux managed to tame and offer its users 3D graphics , but Direct3D seemed to win the fight and tip the scales on MS favor.

If memory server me, I think Doom was the last pure OpenGL game, and thats why it was easily ported to linux (Keep in mind that since Apple left the PowerPC bandwagon, its OSX is based on linux distros, and so has their advantages and dissadvantages).

So nowdays porting a game to Mac, means either making a DirectX emulator, or making the game on OpenGL. Both are either not effective or very time consuming.

So to sum it up, your Mac has indeed the proper hardware to run games, but lacks the (Microsoft well protected and patended) software.

Just my 5 cents...

Has anyone successfully got the game client to run in a VM like Parallels, VM Ware Fusion? :confused:

Bootcamp rebooting is a PITA!

I haven't tried in an actual VM but I once tried in some WINE implementation for Macs. I didn't get very far though. The installer started and downloaded one file... and then halted. I think it might work with a lot of patience but it won't be easy. Afaik you loose more performance in a VM than in a Windows wrapper, so I'd definitely try one of those first, maybe even a professional one.

As for actual VMs... Can you pass direct video card control to the VM? In that case it's at least thinkable.

If memory server me, I think Doom was the last pure OpenGL game, and thats why it was easily ported to linux (Keep in mind that since Apple left the PowerPC bandwagon, its OSX is based on linux distros, and so has their advantages and dissadvantages).

Mac OS X is on a basic level a FreeBSD fork, so it's a BSD Unix much rather than a Linux. If you program in C on Mac OS X you notice that very clearly for every single manpage has still the headings of the original BSD program which was modified to one degree or another by Apple's developers. Mac OS X uses its own kernel, though, and an own OpenGL implementation, unlike linux where a driver that was usually provided by the GPU chipset manufacturer is directly loaded into the kernel by the X server, Mac OS X uses implementations complemetely written by Apple and I don't think they use X-servers in their Aqua surface.

While those implementations made a giant leap forward with Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" they are not at the level of Linux implementation. Remarkably stable but they are often slower and implement a way lower OpenGL version - Mac OS X 10.7 comes with OpenGL 3.0.Snow Leopard was OpenGL 2.1. OpenGL 3 is more or less comparable to the niveau of DirectX 9 from what I hear (I lack the knowledge on graphics APIs to judge that myself). Linux drivers, at least the ones that nVidia provide, use OpenGL 4.5 which is the latest state of the art and are typically very efficient.

However, due to the distribution of the different Mac OS X versions - there are still more Snow Leopard than Lion users - software developers are hesitant to make use of OpenGL 3 features.

I've once picked up on the Hero Engine's website that the next version of their Engine was to include OpenGL clients, including one for Mac OS X. That was last year and the announcement had been made for last years october. I haven't followed it since. I am not sure whether an upgrade of the engine is possible, given all the extensions Bioware has written, however.

https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php/topic,318.0.html

Edited by Rabenschwinge

An OpenGL based Hero Engine Client would certainly pave the way for SW-TOR on the Mac.

I think people would not mind sacrificing some level of Image quality for the comfort of running the game natively in their OSX.

Unfortunately OpenGL is harder to code in, in comparison to Direct3D and that's why OpenGL implementations are scarce.

Once more its all about the money. If the demographic of Mac Gamers grows, and they become a financially substantial force, then you ll get OpenGL clients. And that would also be an unexpected boon to Apple, in the sense that it will be able to "force" more users to upgrade to Lion (remember windows Vista and DX10).

On the other hand, Apple will face a PR issue, since it will inevitably clash with MS on the quality of Gaming.

OpenGL is open source, and its not something that Apple can control. DirectX is propably the Best accomplishment of MS , far greater for me than the Windows Operating System, and its one that actually works.

So Apple will be faced with the fact they ll have to say "We re better at everything than windows...except gaming, they do it better". Right now they say "Games? bah...we dont care, we provide ease of use....go get a PS3" and save face.

Once more though, when push comes to shove, its all about the money!!!

Once more though, when push comes to shove, its all about the money!!!

I believe it must be part of some contract that Bioware or EA made at some point - that there will not be a Mac version. With the remarkable exception of Mass Effect / Mass Effect 2* there are Mac versions of Bioware games - some native, such as Knights of the Old Republic, Neverwinter Nights, others through wrappers such as Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2.

I see no reasons why they wouldn't provide a version in a "Cider" wrapper, unless there is some contract that prevents them from doing so.

*) Mass Effect 2 is in so far a "remarkable" exception as it uses the Unreal Engine 3 - which is indeed available for the Mac.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Dear BioWare,

I'm wondering if in the future there will be a Star Wars: the old republic for mac?

Running it on a bootcamped windows version, and going quite smoothly, but switching over all the time is kinda annoying and i really prefer using OSX instead of windows if im playing on a mac ;p

Regards,

Bob

P.S.

Merry Christmass

For all the ways the developers got this game wrong you want them to try their hand on a Mac build?

*Shudders*

If they thought it was profitable, they would have done it by now.

If they thought it was profitable, they would have done it by now.

I don't think so. Providing a version in a wrapper wouldn't really take up much own resources - maybe a share of the profits made with Mac versions to the partner who provides it. From what we've seen in other games in the past you'd end up with about 10% users on Mac clients, of which about half are users you wouldn't reach with a Windows version. 100,000 more subscribers. For hardly any work at all...

I don't think so. Providing a version in a wrapper wouldn't really take up much own resources - maybe a share of the profits made with Mac versions to the partner who provides it. From what we've seen in other games in the past you'd end up with about 10% users on Mac clients, of which about half are users you wouldn't reach with a Windows version. 100,000 more subscribers. For hardly any work at all...

This is EA and money we're talking about here. The only thing they love more then money is more money. They are like a fat kid with cake, moth to headlights. Just can't help themselves.

If they think its cost effective to do so, you bet your *** it would be done.

To me, this is an issue of platform independence - DirectX may be all kinds of awesome for game development, but if it only works on one platform, then why limit yourself at all? Another example would be if I developed a webpage and said, "Well since Internet Explorer users only make up 10% of the market, I'm not going to bother supporting it." If I had this attitude, I wouldn't be in business.

Secondly, I disagree with the notion that there is a limited market for Mac gamers - I think (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) MOST Mac users are young people and MOST young people play games. You want to know why I don't play very many games on MY Mac? Because there AREN'T very many games for my Mac. This argument seems entirely circumstantial. Not to mention that Apple is growing and growing while Microsoft is struggling to remain relevant.

I am just trying to install it under Lion using Wineskin. Since I have little experience making Direct3D programs run myself (I have used minor tools for EVE Online for Windows and alike under Mac OS X before), I have littel hope it's gonna work from scratch. And if it does I don't really expect it to perform viable. But at least that would give a base to work on.

http://wineskin.doh123.com/

So keep your fingers crossed.

PS: I didn't get very far though - the launcher downloaded "English Video" but now displays: "Downloading Main Assets 1 11.63 GB Remaining" without actually starting to download.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

It's amazing how many people hate macs. Both Mac and PC are just tools! They are as good as their users.

I have a big and powerful Mac Pro desk top at home. It's a real beast and there is nothing it can't do. I also have a good gaming PC but I rarely turn in on.

My husband and I are both computer-savvies and gamers. We choose to use Mac OS at home not because it is simple and shiny, but because it is powerful and stable. Mac OS offers much more than just an "on" button if you know where to look. But the best thing about it is that you don't have to know all the technical details to use a mac - unlike Windows PCs.

So all I want to say is that mac users don't deserve to be treated as computer dummies with weak little laptops. What we deserve is a Mac version of SWTOR :)

It's amazing how many people hate macs. Both Mac and PC are just tools! They are as good as their users.

I have a big and powerful Mac Pro desk top at home. It's a real beast and there is nothing it can't do. I also have a good gaming PC but I rarely turn in on.

My husband and I are both computer-savvies and gamers. We choose to use Mac OS at home not because it is simple and shiny, but because it is powerful and stable. Mac OS offers much more than just an "on" button if you know where to look. But the best thing about it is that you don't have to know all the technical details to use a mac - unlike Windows PCs.

So all I want to say is that mac users don't deserve to be treated as computer dummies with weak little laptops. What we deserve is a Mac version of SWTOR :)

Agreed. I'm running SW:TOR on a PC right now, and it runs alright, but I know for SURE that it would run better on my Mac if there was a client.

Do it Bioware!

The reason is money.

Porting the game costs money - the majority of the playerbase has windows. If the game becomes succesful they'll make a Mac port. At the moment their efforts are keeping the majority of their customers.

Also, most people with macs are running windows on bootcamp. ( who are playing games )

- Even iMacs are considered weak laptops now (same hardware pretty much)

- MacOs has a smaller barrier of entry but it's harder to master than windows. MacOs is a POSIX system and it's nowhere easy to use, sure.. it just "works" until it doesnt anymore.

But yeah, i guess you'll get your swtor eventually.

To me, this is an issue of platform independence - DirectX may be all kinds of awesome for game development, but if it only works on one platform, then why limit yourself at all?

Because it's considered a worthwhile trade off? DirectX is almost the standard for PC game development now, and required for Xbox 360, game programmers are used to the API and know it very well, so when the decision of DirectX vs an alternative like OpenGL comes up, most seem to find the advantages of using the system they know over the system they don't know as well for the sake of appealing to a small(er) market with relatively few gamers to be great enough.

Another example would be if I developed a webpage and said, "Well since Internet Explorer users only make up 10% of the market, I'm not going to bother supporting it." If I had this attitude, I wouldn't be in business.

If there was a high cost to this and the website wouldn't reach enough users then yeah, at some point a decision needs to be made whether or not it's even worth it.

Secondly, I disagree with the notion that there is a limited market for Mac gamers - I think (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) MOST Mac users are young people and MOST young people play games. You want to know why I don't play very many games on MY Mac? Because there AREN'T very many games for my Mac. This argument seems entirely circumstantial. Not to mention that Apple is growing and growing while Microsoft is struggling to remain relevant.

Maybe it is circular logic, maybe nobody makes games for Mac because Mac users don't play games, and Mac users don't play games because there's no games for Mac. Or maybe it's because OSX holds a small market share (something like 1/10th of Windows) with a lot of those Mac users not even being gamers. Who knows what the real situation is, all that matters for a company is that it's risky and unproven, so why would they take the risk unless they can afford to do so (like WoW did).

Perhaps a better question is, why do you buy a Mac as a gamer? You should be aware of the situation, and know that Mac is just not a great choice as a gaming platform because it's largely unsupported.

Dear BioWare,

I'm wondering if in the future there will be a Star Wars: the old republic for mac?

Running it on a bootcamped windows version, and going quite smoothly, but switching over all the time is kinda annoying and i really prefer using OSX instead of windows if im playing on a mac ;p

Regards,

Bob

P.S.

Merry Christmass

Same as You.. I using my new iMac 27" to play SWTOR , it need me switch to BOOTCAMP ..

really annoying. and main point is window OS can not control the fan speed.. it alway over heat....when i played few hours.

if have Mac version , that is a PLUS..!!