SWTOR on mac

bobonij

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my PC friends talk about all the "tweaks" they make to their system.

I push the "on" button. :)

That's exactly who Macs are for. People who aren't capable of anything more than pushing the "on" button.

Edit:

PS. Got taken in by the commercials once and bought a Mac. After about 6 hours I took it back. There was never any question of them giving me a refund but the employee (and later employees) had a lot of questions for me. They kept asking why I didn't like it. I went through example after example of how I wanted to change this setting or optimize that process and after checking online just to make sure the options weren't available, and it wasn't just my unfamiliarity with the OS, I realized I was being forced to use an unoptimized system in the name of simplicity.

Over time more and more employees joined the discussion asking the same things over and over in different ways. They were flabbergasted that I didn't want their shiny happy one-size-fits-all system.

By the end I started to feel like Darwin at a creationist themepark.

Edited by jmdatcs

troll

stating the obvious is being a troll now?

also being called a troll by someone named "angrymommy" is not terribly insulting

That's exactly who Macs are for. People who aren't capable of anything more than pushing the "on" button.

judging by the posts by Mac users and their arguments most are barely capable of that

Edited by Liquidacid

Has anyone successfully got the game client to run in a VM like Parallels, VM Ware Fusion? :confused:

Bootcamp rebooting is a PITA!

I heard it won't run with VM Ware Fusion with Parallels because there is no graphics card? I'm in the same boat. I really want to play swtor but bootcamp is a pain when you wanna switch between the two. I also read that once Bioware gets swtor under their belt, creating a mac version is on high on the to-do list. They said in an interview in January that they want to make the game available to the mac audience; possibly after a second patch? I really hope they an approximate time frame or even an absolute 'yes' that they will.

Bob:

I'm trying to run SWTOR on my Mac vis Bootcamp but I'm getting an Error Code 7. Can you, or anyone else running successfully on a Mac, offer any advice for getting the game to run? Is there a specific driver I need to update from the 11 drivers that Mac provides to support Windows on the Windows partition?

Thanks so much.

If you are getting the error when you reach the "Start Installation" page then it is probably because your computer did not recognize the CD to install it. On your desktop you will have the mac partition and the bootcamp partition and underneath the two or next them will appear the CD. Until it does, don't press "Start Installation." You don't need to insert the CD until you get to this page. Hope this helps!

I put Bootcamp on my old macbook. It worked pretty good, but the one downside was that I had to partition a lot of space to the Windows side to make it worth while.

Yes. When it comes to partitioning space through bootcamp it can be very tedious. In order for you comp (and this goes for any comp) to run well not only while playing the game but in general, you should have at least 50 gigs of free space so that you comp runs at optimum speed. This also goes for lag (the frames per second will be perfectly fine in 50gig is set aside). I would suggest that, if you have a big enough hard drive, to make sure to have a spare 50GB on the Windows side after you download as well as on your OS X side. If you plan on downloading more software to both sides, then I would consider purchasing a larger hard drive than the Mac standard of 200GB. Hope this helps!

I never understand people accusing Apple of inferior hardware. If Apple is known for anything it is superior hardware.

I even prefer Windows on my Mac. It is a solid piece of hardware with excellent specs. Most of my PC friends talk about all the "tweaks" they make to their system.

I push the "on" button. :)

Inferior? Maybe not, but for the price you pay the performance isn't the same. And to all the buy a PC not a MAC, all modern Macs ARE PCs. The only real difference is the TPM(which is what allows MacOSX to install without issue) and the shell/case.

But, just like Alienware, you pay more for the specs you get. Or they use, for example in the current iMacs, laptop GPUs in what is a desktop system.

Yes. When it comes to partitioning space through bootcamp it can be very tedious. In order for you comp (and this goes for any comp) to run well not only while playing the game but in general, you should have at least 50 gigs of free space so that you comp runs at optimum speed. This also goes for lag (the frames per second will be perfectly fine in 50gig is set aside). I would suggest that, if you have a big enough hard drive, to make sure to have a spare 50GB on the Windows side after you download as well as on your OS X side. If you plan on downloading more software to both sides, then I would consider purchasing a larger hard drive than the Mac standard of 200GB. Hope this helps!

Seriously....

This is rubbish, you need some free space, but no more than a few GB for temporary files. 5GB over the install requirement of the software you run is fine (done this many times in various setups with no issues). At least for the windows side of things, but I cant imagine OSX is much difference.

50G total for the windows partition should be sufficient for win7, SWTOR and likely several other sizeable programs. I have had no trouble fitting all I need on a 60G SSD before and SWTOR is not that big.

As to the reason why there is no OSX client, I suspect because its not worth the cost of developing (like most games), approximately 5% of the worlds computers are Macs (and a lot of them will have no interest in games, the people that like OSX are often not interested in computer games) so you dont lose much potential market by not having it.

Dear Bob,

While Macs' are wonderful computers and very good at what they do, they are not however very good as gaming systems. 90%+ of all new games are designed and written for PC's. So while I understand the attractiveness of a Mac, if you want to game, pick up a PC and keep it on the side.

:cool:

Regards,

E

P.S.

Happy New Year

I beg to differ. The same could be said about driod/ andriod phones...or in that case any smart phone that is not Apple. Although specific applications such as the ones from Apple are mainly for usage on an iphone, ipad, ipod, mac, or any Apple product i failed to mention, these applications (I'm sure) can be attainable for usage on another smart phone. Weren't applications invented by Apple? Or made popular by them? So to say that games are originally designed for a PC over a Mac is incorrect. And if you find what I say isn't true, think about it the next time you decide to go on Facebook, Twitter, or to play a popular app such as Angry Birds, for instance, because you might not be on that at all (if on a non-Apple product) if Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPod Touch.

I beg to differ. The same could be said about driod/ andriod phones...or in that case any smart phone that is not Apple. Although specific applications such as the ones from Apple are mainly for usage on an iphone, ipad, ipod, mac, or any Apple product i failed to mention, these applications (I'm sure) can be attainable for usage on another smart phone. Weren't applications invented by Apple? Or made popular by them? So to say that games are originally designed for a PC over a Mac is incorrect. And if you find what I say isn't true, think about it the next time you decide to go on Facebook, Twitter, or to play a popular app such as Angry Birds, for instance, because you might not be on that at all (if on a non-Apple product) if Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPod Touch.

While I understand the point you're trying to get across, what most people mean by gaming system is higher end games, not tablet/phone type games. And historically game companies have shied away from developing their game(s) for Unix based systems like MacOSX unless they see a real benefit to doing so.

for all those saying that macs are easy to use or you dont need a degree to use them i say thanks.

I am a qualified Windows tech and have been for over 12 years i made the switch to macs simply because i was tired and i mean really tired of having to maintain my computer. Updating windows almost every other day updating antivirus and spyware, running them every other day and sucking power like there is no tomorrow. My windows gaming rig uses over 140 watts of power where my MBP uses 65 under load.

i now have a hack and love every minute of and i still get to tinker with hardware. i cant wait to have a mac port so i dont have to deal with the windows experiance.

I am a qualified Windows tech and have been for over 12 years i made the switch to macs simply because i was tired and i mean really tired of having to maintain my computer. Updating windows almost every other day updating antivirus and spyware

You do know all those things can be automated? ...lol would expect a "Windows tech" of 12 years standing to know that! ;)

Edit:

PS. Got taken in by the commercials once and bought a Mac. After about 6 hours I took it back. There was never any question of them giving me a refund but the employee (and later employees) had a lot of questions for me. They kept asking why I didn't like it. I went through example after example of how I wanted to change this setting or optimize that process and after checking online just to make sure the options weren't available, and it wasn't just my unfamiliarity with the OS, I realized I was being forced to use an unoptimized system in the name of simplicity.

Over time more and more employees joined the discussion asking the same things over and over in different ways. They were flabbergasted that I didn't want their shiny happy one-size-fits-all system.

By the end I started to feel like Darwin at a creationist themepark.

I do understand where you are coming from. I respect your opinion but, all in all, there are many more people who want something more simple that something more challenging at this point. I don't find it strange that the people asked you continuous questions on why you returned your mac. It would similar to someone who loves the ford mustang to go out and buy an all new 2011 Chevy Camaro just to see what all of the hype is about and later on returning it, as well. But when I bought my mac because I was sick of PC hand-me-downs, it turned out that I loved it and believe it or not I have become more computer savvy and interested in todays technology than I ever was. You are obligated to your own opinion and again I can understand where you are coming from. It all really depends what you are comfortable with and what suites your tastes.

I agree Macs are great. I've worked in the IT industry my whole career. I switched to Macs after my first job migrating computers to a new network. I worked on a couple hundred different computers of all types over the course of that job. The windows boxes took hours to migrate but the Macs were a breeze and usually took around 20min. I was really impressed with the some of the macs that were 10+ years old and still operated like new. Vista was the absolute deal breaker for me. That OS was a tech support nightmare.

I am darn sick and tired of solving technical problems because that is what I do all day at work. When I get home all I want to do is go to my computer and push the ON button. That is what I love about Macs. Very little maintenance. Sure, if you are looking for the most amount of processing power for your dollar and you like spending hours tweaking and modding, then go with a PC. If you want something low maintenance that will last for a decade or more then go for a Mac. It's all about what you like.

That being said, I hope they come out with a Mac version soon. I installed Bootcamp today, and it was a pain in the rear. I might have to bite the bullet and buy windows 7 but I hope a Mac version of this game comes out soon.

You do know all those things can be automated? ...lol would expect a "Windows tech" of 12 years standing to know that! ;)

Wouldn't matter anyway. The time for a mac to update probably takes less time because you can easily set it to check (automatically) for updates each day, each week, or each month. If your settings are to display it daily, you will only receive an update every 2 weeks or so anyway. Plus, because Windows is still more popular than OS X, more powerful anti-virus software is needed; because of its popularity, it is more vulnerable, both to viruses and frequent updates (updates because you are probably using the software of a large, popular company). If you own a mac and you are unaware, there is a smaller software program that is given to you, already on the mac when you first buy it. And when it comes to the updates, you receive them as if it is one, so no anti-virus one day and another software update the next.

It's always interesting seeing all of the reasons people like to give as to why Mac owners should not be able to play games on their computer. I'm just glad top game developers like Bioware and Blizzard have, and will continue to, release their games for OS X. Edited by daemian

It's always interesting seeing all of the reasons people like to give as to why Mac owners should not be able to play games on their computer. I'm just glad top game developers like Bioware and Blizzard have, and will continue to, release their games for OS X.

Those people are quite frankly as is said "Ignant". A Mac is a fine machine for gaming. It has all the guts of a regular custom PC that I can build for myself, my friends, and my family members. Which I have.

The problem - Pricetag.

I put together a laptop for my wife for 1302 dollars and change. I compared that price to a Macbook, with similar specifications. 17 inch screen, 3d available 560 or 570M I think, don't recall it was in July, and as she's Navy I don't get to see her much. 8 gigs of ram at 1600 from Corsair, 1tb Drive the whole shebang. Macbook was like, 2400 bucks, and the ram was only available at 1333mhz, with no branding! May be lower by a smidgen but still.

That's an expensive OS!

Edited by VenthiosLestaran

Might I also point out that, in defending Macs, there are multiple companies that make PCs in which basically all run on Windows. Then you have a comp that is the product of one company and runs OS X. In my opinion, I think Apple has done pretty well if they fall second to a bunch of other companies. Think about it. If each brand of computer ran on its own system, don't you think Apple would be the most popular with OS X? Just saying.

Might I also point out that, in defending Macs, there are multiple companies that make PCs in which basically all run on Windows. Then you have a comp that is the product of one company and runs OS X. In my opinion, I think Apple has done pretty well if they fall second to a bunch of other companies. Think about it. If each brand of computer ran on its own system, don't you think Apple would be the most popular with OS X? Just saying.

No.

Window's is the Operating System. a PC is just the components in the chassis. The Operating System is what Makes the PC a PC. It's not a bunch of companies use Windows in "Their PC's".

They all use Windows - From Microsoft. Microsoft alone is responsible for Windows. No one else.

It's Windows(Microsoft) or OSX(Apple). Only one company builds OSX PC's.

Those people are quite frankly as is said "Ignant". A Mac is a fine machine for gaming. It has all the guts of a regular custom PC that I can build for myself, my friends, and my family members. Which I have.

The problem - Pricetag.

I put together a laptop for my wife for 1302 dollars and change. I compared that price to a Macbook, with similar specifications. 17 inch screen, 3d available 560 or 570M I think, don't recall it was in July, and as she's Navy I don't get to see her much. 8 gigs of ram at 1600 from Corsair, 1tb Drive the whole shebang. Macbook was like, 2400 bucks, and the ram was only available at 1333mhz, with no branding! May be lower by a smidgen but still.

That's an expensive OS!

I do agree, Macs are expensive. But i bought mine about a year and a half ago (Macbook Pro 13") and the price was around $1600, including iLife, Microsoft Office 2008, and some other software. It all depends on which one you buy and at what time. But I don't think the cost would come out 2300 dollars unless you were buying products that were expensive to begin with.

The problem - Pricetag.

That's an expensive OS!

It was probably a 6770m. Yeah, the price is a whole different debate. What it comes down to is value for the owner, supply and demand. If you can find a better deal for yourself elsewhere, that's great.

You have to admit it's odd how some people seem to use the price of the hardware as a reason why a game shouldn't be cross platform. If swtor was only available to people with cheap computers, I think they'd be missing out on more than a few customers.

Edited by daemian