Space - Anyone else disappointed?

mastermaj

Since the first time I logged it, it was the first thing I was really curious about, around level 20 or so I finally got into it.

First off let me say, it is COOL as heck... but there is not enough. I hate to compare this to other MMO games, but one thing I think SWG has beat in this game is the space feature.

Granted, it got pretty boring at times in SWG, you still had many more freedoms than this game, that beings customization, picking different spaceships, and exploring space hunting for valuables IN SPACE.

Granted I'm kinda of a space dork, but I sure do enjoy flying in space as an alternative to whatever I'm doing on whatever planet I am on.

Like I said I feel that space is lacking a lot. I'm really not to thrilled about doing the same missions over and over and over!

Also... anyone remember Starfox 64? :p

What do you think?

Edited by mastermaj

Nope. I find this a game a breath of fresh air. Not had any problems with it so far. Has to be the best launched mmo ever. I cant stress how much i like this game. It so fun and the story so far is fantastic. My fav mmo (and i've played them all)

This was announced that space would be lacking at launch. However, recently it was also announced they are working on a secret project that will change the space expirence significantly. This has me excited.

you must be new to MMOs

Not disappointed, since I knew what was coming.

However, I sure hope it gets upgraded in the future! :p

Edit: To clarify, I'm currently having fun with the story. Once I see all 8, I might try some endgame, but if it's as bad as wow, and there's still no proper space travel... I'm off!

Edited by Truga

Freelancer, Elite, Star Fighter 3000.

Not been any space game iv played since those above that can compare to these.

That includes eve online which is not a true free flight space fighting game, you just click where you want to go everything is automatic.

Space combat here is just a prettier version of space invaders.

Edited by TRONEON

Everyone knows this is an MMO with an optional Star Fox minigame, right?

Not Freelancer or Allegiance with an MMO built around it?

The developers at BioWare make RPGs.. Neverwinter Nights, Jade Empire, KoTOR, Dragon Age.. not flight sims. Really, what was anyone expecting?

They've already stated they're going to improve it, but come on. There's nothing wrong with a little Star Fox to give you huge chunks of XP and credits every day. Some of the stuff gets pretty twitchy as you level up and early missions suddenly become loaded with bonuses that weren't there before, like destroying shield generators on cruisers, popping engines, not missing all but 10 fighters, destroying the bridges of capitol ships, killing defense satellites..

Look, everyone keeps saying this is an mmo blah blah, yea so. It was Bioware who said that this mmo would have a "space" part to it. All those of us who are playing it and will continue to play it are saying is that the "space" portion of the game does not exist. Fine, they are working on it, great, cant wait to see what they come up with. When people mention space sim games they do so as examples of what really good space sim game have been created and would it not be awesome to have something like that for the space portion of this mmo. I really dont think that ANYONE would expect that this mmo was being built around past space sim games such as Freelancer, Starfox etc etc. Everyone is well aware that this is an mmo, although what the h3LL that has to do with not having any REAL "space" currently in this MMO is beyond me, but it is based on SW KOTOR I, KOTOR II. If anything the fact that this IS an mmo should suggest that changes can be made/implemented when ever if ever they plan to. If not well great w/e this is just another mmo with little staying pwr over any other mmo. So, w/e, hopefully whatever they are working on is a real "space" portion addition to this so far refreshing mmo.

Since the first time I logged it, it was the first thing I was really curious about, around level 20 or so I finally got into it.

First off let me say, it is COOL as heck... but there is not enough. I hate to compare this to other MMO games, but one thing I think SWG has beat in this game is the space feature.

Granted, it got pretty boring at times in SWG, you still had many more freedoms than this game, that beings customization, picking different spaceships, and exploring space hunting for valuables IN SPACE.

Granted I'm kinda of a space dork, but I sure do enjoy flying in space as an alternative to whatever I'm doing on whatever planet I am on.

Like I said I feel that space is lacking a lot. I'm really not to thrilled about doing the same missions over and over and over!

Also... anyone remember Starfox 64? :p

What do you think?

The way I look at it, it's a Flash game, on rails and a throw in. It doesn't match the high production that went into the normal portion of the game and shows. I wish they scrapped this and put the energy into the other areas. If they expand on this in the future, and make this more like Tie Figher/X-Wing, I'd be all about it as an old school space sim fanatic.

For what it is (a minigame), it's perfectly fine. However this is STAR Wars, so I'd expect some comprehensive space-based expansion back in a year or so. As someone pointed out, SWG didn't have any sort of vehicles at launch, let alone space. It took them like a year and a half to get JTL out the door. So I'm hoping that Bioware does similar and gives us a great free-roaming space expansion to offset the linear story-based gameplay on the ground. I think the two sides of the same coin aspect would work exceptionally well for ToR.

Please, can you provide exact link with quote? i couldn't find anything about the Space Combat development. Thanks in advance

James Ohlen says

Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

I recall seeing something about 3D in relation to spaceflight, but that might have been in an interview with some fansite.