NEW FILM NAMED Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

EvenHardNiner

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: a question. Is "A New Hope" really any better? This is the first in a trilogy, it is a building block.

And I quote The Bard: "what is in a name..."

That title gives us a vague notion as to the tenor of the story. Nothing more. Any more and there is the risk of giving away the story.

A New Hope is better because it ties directly into what the movie was about(all of the Star Wars movies are named after what's in them).

Granted The Force Awakens could tie directly into the movie. Like the movie could be all about how the Force was lying dormant in lots of people and then suddenly people start getting force sensitivity or something.

It is a weird title though. The implications are either that the Force is more like a god and has been sleeping all this time, or that there'll be a sudden rash of people getting force powers(both of which are radically different than how Legacy Star Wars worked). Or that the title has basically nothing to do with what it is actually in the movie(my guess as to what is most likely).

Edited by Vandicus

A New Hope is better because it ties directly into what the movie was about(all of the Star Wars movies are named after what's in them).

Granted The Force Awakens could tie directly into the movie. Like the movie could be all about how the Force was lying dormant in lots of people and then suddenly people start getting force sensitivity or something.

It is a weird title though. The implications are either that the Force is more like a god and has been sleeping all this time, or that there'll be a sudden rash of people getting force powers(both of which are radically different than how Legacy Star Wars worked). Or that the title has basically nothing to do with what it is actually in the movie(my guess as to what is most likely).

It could very well be about the Force 'awakening' in a single person who is central to the plot. Doesn't have to be something on a grand scale to still be a relevant title to the story being told.

I would pay big $ to see something called "Jar Jar Gets Run Over By A Bus At The Beginning" or "Hunting Ewoks With A Minigun: A Demonstration by Ted Nugent". But I guess they have to appeal to people that haven't seen the movies...

When was the Force asleep?

I'm thinking the name is probably referring to Luke being really the only force user in existence at that point (vader gone, emperor gone, obi-wan gone). So, in a sense, the force is kind of asleep. But if Luke starts training a bunch of jedi and some dark baddies start learning the dark side, it's sort of an awakening.

I would pay big $ to see something called "Jar Jar Gets Run Over By A Bus At The Beginning" or "Hunting Ewoks With A Minigun: A Demonstration by Ted Nugent". But I guess they have to appeal to people that haven't seen the movies...

[music]

Jar Jar got run over by a reindeer

[/music]

Edited by teclado

I agree. Quite meh worthy. Perhaps because it's too broad... Which isn't inheritely bad. Attack of the Clones had an extremely specific title; yet ony the last 30 minutes of the movie involved clones.

Either way, Star Wars is Star Wars.

I'm thinking the name is probably referring to Luke being really the only force user in existence at that point (vader gone, emperor gone, obi-wan gone). So, in a sense, the force is kind of asleep. But if Luke starts training a bunch of jedi and some dark baddies start learning the dark side, it's sort of an awakening.

That's what I was thinking. The last of the Jedi Luke, er, be, and the Sith order is dead, afawk. But the force never went away. Whatever new threat Our Heroes face might be thwarted by the afore-titled Returned Jedi.

I just wonder, how swtor will benefit from it... If EA has no plans to benefit swtor, but battlefront instead, they are doomed.

Is there any combined advertisement, so both the movie and swtor will be benefited?

The battlefront is not an mmo, is an offline fps or action with online modes apparently... if they do it like the failed sim city, it will be a big failure... Force users be online to play it.

The smart choice is to focus in swtor.

Other than that, the topic about the movie, is irrelevant with the game.

Edited by Oyranos

I just wonder, how swtor will benefit from it...

Is there any combined advertisement, so both the movie and swtor will be benefited?

It will be beneficial to swtor. Even though its a totally different time period, the movies will stimulate interest in anything with a Star Wars title.

I just wonder, how swtor will benefit from it...

I'm thinking it more likely that:

1. Pubs and Sith unite to kick Revan the Undying's ***

2. Gather for punch and cookies

3. Game shuts down

4. New SW themed F2P emerges

5. I go play Battlefront and relrn2 noscope 180

Disney Exec: The Force Unleashed...er..Awakens

JJ: Brilliant. Lets run with that.

Probably not far off the mark, if not spot on.

If there's not enough action in this movie or it's poorly received people are going to call it:

Episode VII: The Force Hits Snooze

Edited by Tomb-Stone

I just wonder, how swtor will benefit from it... If EA has no plans to benefit swtor, but battlefront instead, they are doomed.

The battlefront is not an mmo, is an offline fps or action with online modes apparently... if they do it like the failed sim city, it will be a big failure... Force users be online to play it.

The smart choice is to focus in swtor.

Other than that, the topic about the movie, is irrelevant with the game.

If you actually compare the MMO industry to the FPS industry there's a very clear winner in popularity and profits. And it isn't MMOs. A battlefront that captures what Call of Duty and Battlefield does could very well blow SWTOR out of the water for popularity.

But I have no idea if that's their intent with it or not. Haven't been following Batlefront at all.

If you actually compare the MMO industry to the FPS industry there's a very clear winner in popularity and profits. And it isn't MMOs. A battlefront that captures what Call of Duty and Battlefield does could very well blow SWTOR out of the water for popularity.

But I have no idea if that's their intent with it or not. Haven't been following Batlefront at all.

I'll be playing Battlefront on day 1. It's the only game that would tear me away from an MMO.

My question though...do you think the FPSs are more popular because they're cross platform? I wonder what the sales of COD:AW were like on PC. Over the course of 2-years, which makes more $ on the PC platform?

Probably not far off the mark, if not spot on.

If there's not enough action in this movie or it's poorly received people are going to call it:

Episode VII: The Force Hits Snooze

I'm hoping for no gratuitous/tedious action to appease the 3D gods though, like some of the Transformers and Hobbits.

An aside:

How many of you nerds are going to be wearing robes and plastic to your first local playing? A bunch of Jedi neckbeards attended the last music of John Williams symphony I went to. They had cool lightsabers and looked way better than the snorlaks from House Slytherin in the next row.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I'll be playing Battlefront on day 1. It's the only game that would tear me away from an MMO.

My question though...do you think the FPSs are more popular because they're cross platform? I wonder what the sales of COD:AW were like on PC. Over the course of 2-years, which makes more $ on the PC platform?

Yea it's wildly more successful on console than PC. Is Battlefront going to be PC only? That'd really shrink their exposure and revenue potential.

OP: a question. Is "A New Hope" really any better? This is the first in a trilogy, it is a building block.

And I quote The Bard: "what is in a name..."

That title gives us a vague notion as to the tenor of the story. Nothing more. Any more and there is the risk of giving away the story.

Thank you...... Everyone complaining about the name...welp read above.

Yea it's wildly more successful on console than PC. Is Battlefront going to be PC only? That'd really shrink their exposure and revenue potential.

honestly with the new Battlefront I'm hoping Dice will follow tradition and release mod tools for the new battlefront. One of the things that kept the BF community alive was its modding community, hell that community still exists, although being a decade olds its rather shrunken.

That said this all assumes that the new Battlefront ever gets published. There seems to be a running curse on the title given how many studios have attempted to make a third and failed.

The force awakens to a beautiful new day. The birds are chirping (or is that just a twi'lek in a slave collar?), the sun is shining on Tattooine (when isn't it?), and a new hope is a distant memory. The force gets out of bed and walks to the window and says 'Welp, guess I'll put on my robe and wizard hat and see what all the chirping is about.'