Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Possible Exploit with 3.0 commendation conversion

dbears

I've been thinking about the commendation conversion coming in 3.0 and was curious if anyone else has thought of this or has any information on the following:

Would it be possible to spend all your Elite and Ultimate commendations on gear, say, an hour before servers go down for the 3.0 patch. Then when the servers come back online, sell them and get your commendations back.

If this is the case, it would be a work around for the commendation conversion.

With the Legacy system and a few alts, it would allow people to gear up a toon or two in 192/198 gear (assuming that's the new Ultimate commendation gear) on launch day.

Does anyone know if this has been talked about?

If you buy commendation gear in 2.x and sell it while the refund timer is still active in 3.0, do you get the commendations back? Does it sell for just Basic commendations because of the conversion? Does it sell for credits?

Just curious and hoping that they don't let people gear up too quickly.

pretty sure they will reset comms on a week prior. not like matters....this game is dying badly.and ea/bw knows it

/facepalm. Yep. Dying. Good thing we have you to tell us that's the case. I'd have had no idea, what with the multiple instances on every planet and the near instant queue pops and constant pug raids.

Would it be possible to spend all your Elite and Ultimate commendations on gear, say, an hour before servers go down for the 3.0 patch. Then when the servers come back online, sell them and get your commendations back.

One of several things will most likely happen: (1) when the expac hits, all refund timers on items that were sold for comms that are being converted will be ended; (2) vendors who sold the items, if they still exist, will only refund whatever the new price is in Basic comms, and not the old species of comms you bought it for; or (3) in some cases the vendors that sold the items may not exist, or may no longer sell those items.

One thing that won't happen is what you're suggesting.

pretty sure they will reset comms on a week prior. not like matters....this game is dying badly.and ea/bw knows it

Dying badly? What do you know that makes you think that? I've seen just the opposite tbh...but you must have some reason for believing that...what is it?

Does that mean I don't have to be sub anymore?

Wait a minute. I need my daily dose of Star Wars and I've already destroyed Jedi Acacdemy/Kotor/Kotor2 on my HDD.

Dying badly? What do you know that makes you think that? I've seen just the opposite tbh...but you must have some reason for believing that...what is it?

"My big numbers on da screen will be reduced".

Or that's closest I can guess.

Edited by Halinalle

I've been thinking about the commendation conversion coming in 3.0 and was curious if anyone else has thought of this or has any information on the following:

With the Legacy system and a few alts, it would allow people to gear up a toon or two in 192/198 gear (assuming that's the new Ultimate commendation gear) on launch day.

If you buy commendation gear in 2.x and sell it while the refund timer is still active in 3.0, do you get the commendations back? Does it sell for just Basic commendations because of the conversion? Does it sell for credits?

You should go ahead and try this.

But don't create an F2P account and cry on the forums if you get banned.

It is probably not worth it.

Why do you care what someone else does? Are you checking for Big Gulps also? Play the game. What is so hard about that. I swear. Gamers are some nosey people.

Why do you care what someone else does? Are you checking for Big Gulps also? Play the game. What is so hard about that. I swear. Gamers are some nosey people.

Sorry? Didn't mean to come off as nosey lol. I was just curious what the case would be.

I'm not ashamed/scared to admit I'm considering trying it.

Also, I don't care what other people do. I think you need to get happy. Then maybe you'll see this thread as just a few curious questions instead of a QQ thread complaining that the 'creative' players may get a headstart gearing-wise.

You too, TUXs. Get happy.

Sorry? Didn't mean to come off as nosey lol. I was just curious what the case would be.

I'm not ashamed/scared to admit I'm considering trying it.

Also, I don't care what other people do. I think you need to get happy. Then maybe you'll see this thread as just a few curious questions instead of a QQ thread complaining that the 'creative' players may get a headstart gearing-wise.

I can understand that. No one is going to stop creative players from figuring out how to get around things. Sneaky little devils. I thing they do it more for the challenge then the reward. Myself I am waiting to play 3.0. I will adapt to what ever comes out. Either that or get ressed alot:eek:

I'm pretty sure you will lose the ability to get a refund from the items when the servers come back up. If I recall correctly, that's what happened last time. (And if it's not, it's what should happen this time.)

Yep! That's what happened with 2.0.

I'm always happy :) Well...usually happy :)

I understand your questioning the issue, but I wouldn't have phrased it as an "exploit". My hope is, the people that do this get back the current value of the item (basic comms or nothing).

Eeeh... but the gear you buy now for Elite and Ultimate comms will be available for basic comms after the switch... so you'll be getting basic comms back since that's what they'll be costing.

Ya I know they'll be available after the conversion. Actually, 186 gear is said to be available via Basic commendations. The 180 gear currently available will likely (assumptions, sorry) not even exist.

Hence the question of what it would refund post 3.0.

P.S. Sorry if people were planning on doing this to get that sweet sweet 198 gear the day 3.0 drops. I guess Bioware knows about it now. If they didn't already.

I'm always happy :) Well...usually happy :)

I understand your questioning the issue, but I wouldn't have phrased it as an "exploit". My hope is, the people that do this get back the current value of the item (basic comms or nothing).

Ya maybe "exploit" wasn't the right word. "Work around", perhaps.

But I'm with you. I hope they make it refund Basic commendations. Or even just the credit value:mon_trap:

But I'm with you. I hope they make it refund Basic commendations. Or even just the credit value:mon_trap:

It's ok...the title got my attention...that's what they're meant to do :)

The easiest fix would be one that uses existing in-game mechanics/methods. Since items already have a timer that determines the window in time that you have to refund an item, the most elegant solution is to just run a script that goes through and sets that timer to expired for every item in the game.

The true elegance in this approach is how anyone who planned to buy a few items to try and see if they could exploit this at launch gets totally screwed and can't even get basic comms for the item as it will just sell to the vendor for credits.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.