Dear BioWare: Females of the Species Do Exist

DomiSotto

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to point out that 2 of the iconic characters that are commonly shown in adverts and stuff are female smuggler and female bounty hunter.

so now, having male concept art in one blog post didn't bother me, personally. I've been thinking for a while now that there's such thing as nitpicking too far.

Welcome to Star Wars

Yoda, Windu, Qui Gon, Palpatine, Dooku, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke, Han, Lando, Chewy, even 3PO is looked at as a male.

All that leaves is Leia, Padme and Mon Mothma lol.

This is one of the reasons I loved KOTOR 2.

They had females in high ranking positions, which is something that Star Wars historically has sucked at. Kreia was the teacher of both the male sith lords, Atris was an influential council member, the Exile was a female, multiple female party members with diverse personalities. The males that were high ranking were the 3 council members who were all older men who represented a failure to evolve to the Sith threat as Kreia pointed out to them. Great game.

This game has quite a few women in prominent places, including Grandmaster of the Jedi Order.

Obviously Satele is not a female. She is a member of a transsexual species from the unknown regions of the galaxy, changing her gender at will.

Or maybe becoming Grand Master of the Order, fighting the Sith Empire for over 3 decades, re-discovering the ancestral home of the Jedi Order again and beeing a Master with the saberstaff does not count to be a strong and independent woman. She is actually one of my all-time favorite characters in the game.

But hey, let's disregard those. Bioware is obviously focused on the male gender. Those concept arts are evidence...

I rate this thread a 7/10. Nothing spectacular, but it was fun to read through.

Come now, on its face it's deliberately vague and purports to broach an important social issue (but without actually saying anything of substance). It's got just enough to rile up both "sides." Surely it's better than 7/10.

I think the critique is legit, not because of feminist issues or because the game itself sexist. That's not the issue.

I think it's just stupid of BW to put out marketing material that doesn't appeal to large portion of the gaming population.

A person, male or female, with no prior contact with SWTOR or KOTOR might think, on seeing that blog post, "I can't run a female character?" And they might then decide to go play Wildstar or something instead as a result.

And a lack of female examples is not the only way that this marketing material sells the game short: I also note that there are no alien races shown in the artwork.

I'm guessing whoever oversaw or created the images has never played SWTOR (as evidence by the use of the wrong weapons for some classes) and therefor has no idea of the enormous variety of toons and outfits that people have created. Again, the artwork sells the game short.

It's also simply not very good artwork: look at the Trooper, for example, that pose says "someone just shoved a stick up my nether regions." Hardly attractive. And were they just too lazy to have an actual activated lightsaber, the iconic symbol of SW, instead of just having people holding metal sticks? There's tons of better fan art they could have probably got permission to use for free.

TL;DR: The artwork is amateurish, does not do justice to the awesome variety of experiences possible in SWTOR, and should not be used to publicly represent this awesome game. Not even in a blog post.

I would like you to prove that the bounty hunter, trooper, warrior and inquisitor are male. Until you can conclusively do so, your complaint has no merit.

Nonsense. All that matters is that none of them appear to be female, or alien for that matter.

There's not a single female Body Type 4 Twi'llek among them, for example.

I think it's just stupid of BW to put out marketing material that doesn't appeal to large portion of the gaming population.

Those where not marketing material tho. Those look to be concept art that the model makers use as a guide when creating the gear sets. The actual marketing material (such as the class section on the holonet) makes sure to show a even representation of male and female.

Those where not marketing material tho. Those look to be concept art that the model makers use as a guide when creating the gear sets. The actual marketing material (such as the class section on the holonet) makes sure to show a even representation of male and female.

That blog post isn't marketing material? Sure reads like it:

If you pre-order the Shadow of Revan digital expansion, and you are an active Subscriber, ... compelling content ... whet your appetite ...

If you are saying they picked random images to go in a marketing communication without considering whether those images were appropriate for marketing the game, we get back to BW doing something just plain stupid, don't we?

Nonsense. All that matters is that none of them appear to be female, or alien for that matter.

There's not a single female Body Type 4 Twi'llek among them, for example.

False. The sith warrior is a female type 4 with her lekku hidden under the mask. Prove to me this isnt the case.

False. The sith warrior is a female type 4 with her lekku hidden under the mask. Prove to me this isnt the case.

This kind of argument doesnt actually help anything. All of those figures are pretty clearly male. Trying to claim any differently because there is no visible genitalia detracts from the point. And the point is: Its fine. Its not anything to freak out about. The notion that Bioware has made some sort of gaffe or faux pas here by using those drawings is absurd.

There is so much unnecessary stupidity that has been inserted into our culture. People literally go looking for things to be offended about because they have learned that if you get offended by something, and you get enough other people to say they are as well, eventually some politician is going to come along and pander to you. Sure, you have to give them some money and help them create or maintain their own personal power base and sphere of influence, but hey! you got some attention! And thats good, right?

Edited by Dras_Keto

I think the critique is legit, not because of feminist issues or because the game itself sexist. That's not the issue.

A person, male or female, with no prior contact with SWTOR or KOTOR might think, on seeing that blog post, "I can't run a female character?" And they might then decide to go play Wildstar or something instead as a result.

And a lack of female examples is not the only way that this marketing material sells the game short: I also note that there are no alien races shown in the artwork.

I'm guessing whoever oversaw or created the images has never played SWTOR (as evidence by the use of the wrong weapons for some classes) and therefor has no idea of the enormous variety of toons and outfits that people have created. Again, the artwork sells the game short.

It's also simply not very good artwork: look at the Trooper, for example, that pose says "someone just shoved a stick up my nether regions." Hardly attractive. And were they just too lazy to have an actual activated lightsaber, the iconic symbol of SW, instead of just having people holding metal sticks? There's tons of better fan art they could have probably got permission to use for free.

TL;DR: The artwork is amateurish, does not do justice to the awesome variety of experiences possible in SWTOR, and should not be used to publicly represent this awesome game. Not even in a blog post.

Yeah, I'm sure a few images of concept art meant to display armor and not unique characters is really going to drive perspective players away.

*gasp* How will they know that there can be female players if I don't see them on this one article?

*gasp* How will they know that the lightsabers and guns actually work if we don't see them being used?

*gasp* How will they know that there are different races if this article doesn't show them?

*gasp* How will they know that they can create fat people if they're not shown it?

*gasp* How will they know that you can make black or asian looking characters?

What are we going to do?!

Are you seriously complaining one of the most "progressive" gaming developers aren't "progressive" enough?

'Most' progressive isn't a get out of jail free card, or a claim that magically means there aren't still issues that should be addressed. It just means they're better than a lot of gaming companies are at some of the issues, which makes the everyday sexism of 'all male models' all the more insidious and disappointing. From my observations of Bioware games since ME1, it strikes me that the art departments are still well behind the curve on this (although I have great hope that Dragon Age: Inquisition will progress there finally).

But, as an aside, reading through all the comments on this thread was both illuminating and disappointing for confirming the rampant casual sexism inherent in the gamer community. gj, everyone.

Edited by AlixMV

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.