Togruta Officially Confirmed as Next Playable Species! (More-or-Less)

CelCawdro

This little factoid has been bubbling in and out of a few threads around here, but I thought it warranted a thread of its own. I'll get the TL;DR out of the way, firstly:

TOGRUTA

CONFIRMED

Feels good to write that out. As a community, we've been pushing and pushing for more species, so it feels great to have actual progression in that line of content being lined up for implementation. Furthermore, it's one of the more exotic species - still a completely human face shape, of course, but it is much more distance from baseline humans than anything available at this point.

When news broke, I'll be the first to admit that I was overly skeptical. It was not the podcast in question that seemed unbelievable to me, but simply the alleged act it covered: BioWare speaking openly about a myriad of topics, with this particularly one actually tossed out there as more of a sidenote than anything. I have to admit, I've more-or-less given up on getting any kind of answers from BioWare concerning a topic that reaches more than two or so months into the future. However, when this was brought up in Snave's Musco interview, Musco more-or-less admitted that these events actually transpired. In other words, this was a very roundabout official confirmation that Togruta are in active development.

Personally, I'm not even a fan of the species, but I'll be leveling one in honour of the community's efforts to be heard on this issue, making a few available on the GTN for bargain prices, and maybe even handing a few out to players I enjoy. :)

Edited by CelCawdro

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I'm not even a fan of the species, but I'll be leveling one in honour of the community's efforts to be heard on this issue

I know I'll probably be considered a sucker for doing so, but one of the main reasons I bought the Cathar off of the CM was to support more playable races being made since the claim was that the Cathar's financial success would determine whether or not they would ever add more. Granted I do actually like my cathar characters too and I wouldn't have bought the species if I didn't like it. Shame about their horrible hairdos though.

The Togruta I'm looking forward to. It's one of the species I've been hoping they would add. They're no Jawas, but this is progress still.

Edited by Pscyon

I love Togruta and have always had to settle for Twileks going bacck to that other Star Wars games.

Unfortunately; I probably will not level one as I am going to have about all I need and will be spoiled by this 12x class story XP by the time they are here.

I confess, I had to look up what a Togruta is. And ....

... I was disappointed. Those are probably my least favorite alien in SW. They just look like Twi'lek clowns. I'm sure they're relatively easy to add, and don't require any special coding like a Jawa or Hutt would, but overall my response is: meh. (Not even "meh!" Just "meh.")

Wookiees would be awesome, if only to play as a character who speaks in grunts and growls. (Just turn on subtitles if you need to follow the story.) They could have a special arm-ripping-off attack. Droids would be interesting. Jabba's pig-faced guards would even appeal to some people. All of these would (IMHO) be more iconic than a Togruta.

Can anyone give me a reason why I should get excited about playing a Togruta toon? Will they have a special power? A cool dance? Some group buff that would be useful? I'm open to getting excited for this, but based on looks alone, I'd just as soon play a Wookiee.

I'm sure Bioware will still find a way to make me miserable,

since the first character I levelled was a Twi'lek Sith Sorcerer.

Twi'lek don't get hoods, for starters. Because of the lekku, obviously.

So, when I wear a sith mask, my lekku disappear. But with the masks, they could easily clip through

and it wouldn't even look bad. They clip through helmets though, where it's very obvious that the headgear

was not designed with head tentacles in mind.

But the best part is: even if I'm wearing a piece of gear that makes my lekku disappear,

I still don't get hoods with the chest pieces that feature them.

It's not an either/or thing, it's a half/none thing. :mad:

I can't wait to see how they'll butcher the Togruta heads with various head gear.

(smartest way is probably to just don't display head gear at all on the Togruta,

but we shall see. People like to look at their characters wearing gear.... :rolleyes: )

Can anyone give me a reason why I should get excited about playing a Togruta toon? Will they have a special power? A cool dance? Some group buff that would be useful? I'm open to getting excited for this, but based on looks alone, I'd just as soon play a Wookiee.

I can give you one single reason to possibly be excited about this; they're actually willing to add more playable species. That's about it though. Unfortunately playing different species is mostly pointless in TOR, it's almost only looks. And if you put on a helmet you don't even have that. So yeah, people who aren't excited for Togruta is unlikely to have their minds changed.

It is only looks. To do a wookie, they'd have to add wookie dialogue to every single quest while all the other races share the same voice actor for the class they play.

And Hutt? *** would you play as a hutt that wouldn't be totally ridiculous? lol

Oh, I can already hear the cries and smell the seas of whining threads of all those who'll, suddenly, realize that the head tails do not work well with various head and chest pieces.

Because it's absolutely impossible to imagine they won't work well before choosing to buy the Togruta for their next alt :rolleyes:

Dis gon b gud.

Edited by TheNahash

I can give you one single reason to possibly be excited about this; they're actually willing to add more playable species. That's about it though. Unfortunately playing different species is mostly pointless in TOR, it's almost only looks. And if you put on a helmet you don't even have that. So yeah, people who aren't excited for Togruta is unlikely to have their minds changed.

I'll take that. I'm glad they're willing to add playable species. It would be nice if they added more than one every year or two, but now I'm just being greedy.

And looking back at my post, I should apologize for being so negative. I found the species poll, and apparently Togruta were way at the top of the last poll, so lots of people must like them.

My previous game, before this one, was STO, where race often gave you iconic abilities. Vulcans can select Nerve Pinch as a skill, for example. They do that to a minimal extent in SWTOR, with the Twi'lek dance, the human cheer, etc.

I guess my concern would be that if they select a boring species, people won't play it, and they will use that as an excuse to never do another new species. But what's boring to me isn't boring to the more hardcore fans, and that counts for something.

If they want to appeal to the more casual fans, I think it would be great to add a species everyone recognizes. Remember throwing Wookiees around in Force Unleashed? How awesome was that?! It was so Star-Wars-y. I think they could capture the same kind of magic by letting us play as a Wookiee Jedi or Trooper or Sith. Why not be a Wookiee smuggler with a human sidekick, for a change? And surely they have enough Wookiee dialogue recorded that they wouldn't even need to pay to bring in a real live Wookiee to record more for the class stories.

And Hutt? *** would you play as a hutt that wouldn't be totally ridiculous? lol

Ridiculous-ly awesome, you mean! Force leap as a Hutt? That would be badasceous!

(Sure it might look ridiculous. But part of why I play computer games is to do the impossible.)

Edited by Propecius
Correcting filtered profanity

Ridiculous-ly awesome, you mean! Force leap as a Hutt? That would be Bad-*****!

(Sure it might look ridiculous. But part of why I play computer games is to do the impossible.)

LOL. I think it would be hillarious but when you have a game that uses pre-existing lore like this one, you might upset the lore nerds.

I love Togruta and have always had to settle for Twileks going bacck to that other Star Wars games.

Unfortunately; I probably will not level one as I am going to have about all I need and will be spoiled by this 12x class story XP by the time they are here.

Luckily for you, the hair salon can also change your species and gender on one of your 12x XP toons :cool:

Luckily for you, the hair salon can also change your species and gender on one of your 12x XP toons :cool:

O.o Good point! I will heve to level something to be ready to go. Or I have 2 Ratataki I guess I could change, but they are my slinger and sniper and look like Agent 47 according to Joesixpack and I thought that was kind of cool.

LOL. I think it would be hillarious but when you have a game that uses pre-existing lore like this one, you might upset the lore nerds.

There is actually expanded universe lore that supports Force-sensitive hutts. I think it's clear to most people that implementing playable Hutts would be tricky though, not to mention there are more popular species that should take precedence.

Regarding Wookies, Jawas, etc: f I recall, the devs have repeatedly said they're not going to make any race that doesn't speak basic playable, which is probably a good thing. Can you imagine sitting through 60 levels of "Towana wanga" cut scenes?

I am so excited about Togruta.

I've been begging for them for years.

To those who want wookies and the like, sorry, not going to happen. They kinda have to have a human face and speak basic. Togruta (and with luck, nautolan) are probably about as exotic as we're going to get.

why are ppl exited about togruta. they are just a clown version of twileks?

It's a matter of taste, mostly. Many people think they're cooler than or as cool as Twi'leks.

Personally I'd rather see Nautolans, but here's the thing; hopefully if they're adding one species with lekku (the Togruta) that means they've been doing something about their excuse to not add them, which was the lekku, which in turn means they might be able to apply the same fixes/tech/whatever to Nautolans too.

Edited by Pscyon

I would love a pack of new races. Rodians are definitely up there for me but do they speak basic?

I'd like Rodians as well, my main in SWG was a Rodian. They can speak Basic, yes. At least according to TCW. I think we're unlikely to get them however. They're not super popular I think and the character generator might not be versatile enough for their faces, not to mention a lot of helmets and masks would be awkward for them if not remodeled.

Edited by Pscyon

I confess, I had to look up what a Togruta is. And ....

... I was disappointed. Those are probably my least favorite alien in SW. They just look like Twi'lek clowns. I'm sure they're relatively easy to add, and don't require any special coding like a Jawa or Hutt would, but overall my response is: meh. (Not even "meh!" Just "meh.")

Wookiees would be awesome, if only to play as a character who speaks in grunts and growls. (Just turn on subtitles if you need to follow the story.) They could have a special arm-ripping-off attack. Droids would be interesting. Jabba's pig-faced guards would even appeal to some people. All of these would (IMHO) be more iconic than a Togruta.

Shaak Ti and Ahsoka Tano