Can we finally make Datacrons legacy-wide in the new xpac?

wilcou

First, I would suggest that you listen to the podcast and then make the determination for yourself as to whether or not this is "secondhand" information or "straight from the horse's mouth".

Oh I certainly plan on it. I love gathering information above and beyond what I otherwise receive through my own sources. But again, regardless of what number hand the information ends up being, it ultimately is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things as the history of the gaming industry has proven quite regularly.

Second, players can still "whine and complain" all they want, but so can that 3 year old who's Mommy said "no, he can't have another cookie".

That three year old can throw a tantrum and throw himself on the floor, banging his fists if he chooses. Maybe Mommy will give him that cookie to "shut him up" and maybe Mommy will just let him cry until he realizes that he won't be getting that cookie. Maybe Mommy will give him a cookie later. After all, Mommy can change her mind at any time. IMO, though, the three old that accepts "no" for an answer will often find that he gets that cookie sooner than the one who throws a tantrum.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree here again. Unfortunately I have much prior (and current) experience that says in the end, the one throwing the tantrum is just as likely to get a cookie quickly as much as the child who is well behaved. In fact, I have seen the spoiled brats often get what they want a lot sooner than the good kids. Ultimately, it's not my place to judge (though I often do to myself), and certainly not my place to tell the other parents how to deal with their kids.

At any rate, thinking more about some other things here, like the effort being required for the reward for the 'crons. For me, it would be one thing if the effort required for the 'crons was equal to the rewards across the board, but we find that that is not the case. We have 'crons like the ones on Ord Mantell that provide rewards on par with the ones like the Justicar area one on Coruscant, or the couple on Nar Shaddaa. The rewards are essentially the same, but the effort required are vastly different (and again, affected by real and acknowledged issues that are out of the players' hands). It would be one thing to argue earning a reward if the effort required to do so were equitable across the board, or if the actual reward scaled based upon the effort necessary - like the +10 Fleet 'crons.

But of course that still gets back to the unavoidable issues that plagues every game. IMO, the issue boils down to trying to ensure that a player's enjoyment of a certain type of content is not hinged upon those issues that affect on-line games. Most certainly, when I test such things on all the systems I have and find that of all of them, there is only one upon which I can easily get the datacrons, there is an issue. I would certainly find it hard to believe, that after playing 20 characters through various parts of their storylines that my skill at the 'crons suddenly decreases, and then returns to normal simply based on the system I am using at the time, coupled with the network I am on at the time. I don't think it's quite appropriate at this point to tell those gamers that they need to spend money on new systems or networks when the ones that have *should be* more than sufficient to meet the requirements of the game listed on the box. As such, I feel it is better to ensure that there are enough options to allow players to enjoy the content, especially when said options maintain the spirit said content. The suggestions for changes to Datacron acquisition very much do that.

Edited by TravelersWay

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree here again. Unfortunately I have much prior (and current) experience that says in the end, the one throwing the tantrum is just as likely to get a cookie quickly as much as the child who is well behaved. In fact, I have seen the spoiled brats often get what they want a lot sooner than the good kids. Ultimately, it's not my place to judge (though I often do to myself), and certainly not my place to tell the other parents how to deal with their kids.

Are there some parents who will give the three year old a cookie to shut him up? Yes, and this is what leads to self entitled attitudes like I see in RL and like we see on the forums. "I want it now. Give it to me BW. It's tooooooo haaaaard. I don't want to do it the way you designed and intended them to be found. Make it easier for me to get those datacrons."

I can only speak for myself, but I raised my children not to expect anything handed to them, that NO meant NO, etc. While I do see more parents caving to tantrums these days than I used to see, I still see more parents who do not cave to the tantrums. Maybe it's just the area in which I live, though.

At any rate, thinking more about some other things here, like the effort being required for the reward for the 'crons. For me, it would be one thing if the effort required for the 'crons was equal to the rewards across the board, but we find that that is not the case. We have 'crons like the ones on Ord Mantell that provide rewards on par with the ones like the Justicar area one on Coruscant, or the couple on Nar Shaddaa. The rewards are essentially the same, but the effort required are vastly different (and again, affected by real and acknowledged issues that are out of the players' hands). It would be one thing to argue earning a reward if the effort required to do so were equitable across the board, or if the actual reward scaled based upon the effort necessary - like the +10 Fleet 'crons.

It comes down to a player's choice. If they find the reward is not worth the effort, then they are free to choose NOT to get that datacron. If they want the reward enough, they will get the datacron.

BW does not need to coddle every player no matter how much some would prefer that everything be handed to them on a silver platter.

But of course that still gets back to the unavoidable issues that plagues every game. IMO, the issue boils down to trying to ensure that a player's enjoyment of a certain type of content is not hinged upon those issues that affect on-line games. Most certainly, when I test such things on all the systems I have and find that of all of them, there is only one upon which I can easily get the datacrons, there is an issue. I would certainly find it hard to believe, that after playing 20 characters through various parts of their storylines that my skill at the 'crons suddenly decreases, and then returns to normal simply based on the system I am using at the time, coupled with the network I am on at the time. I don't think it's quite appropriate at this point to tell those gamers that they need to spend money on new systems or networks when the ones that have *should be* more than sufficient to meet the requirements of the game listed on the box. As such, I feel it is better to ensure that there are enough options to allow players to enjoy the content, especially when said options maintain the spirit said content. The suggestions for changes to Datacron acquisition very much do that.

So, I guess we should make all PVP players just stand there and just trade shots with the opposing team, since a player's rig and network can have a huge impact on their PVP experience also.

The same goes for ANY part of the game.

If a player wants the rewards enough, they will obtain them as they were designed. Of course, you will always have those that want the rewards, but want those rewards handed to them.

Are there some parents who will give the three year old a cookie to shut him up? Yes, and this is what leads to self entitled attitudes like I see in RL and like we see on the forums. "I want it now. Give it to me BW. It's tooooooo haaaaard. I don't want to do it the way you designed and intended them to be found. Make it easier for me to get those datacrons."

I can only speak for myself, but I raised my children not to expect anything handed to them, that NO meant NO, etc. While I do see more parents caving to tantrums these days than I used to see, I still see more parents who do not cave to the tantrums. Maybe it's just the area in which I live, though.

Yes, and it is up to each parent to decide how to raise their children (well, them and the Laws regulating such things). Ultimately, I have found there is no right nor wrong way to do it. I have seen many a child raised as you and I would raise them and still wind up with less than desirable attitudes, shall we say. I have also seen the converse - many a child raised in less than ideal circumstances rise above that and become very outstanding citizens of my community.

It comes down to a player's choice. If they find the reward is not worth the effort, then they are free to choose NOT to get that datacron. If they want the reward enough, they will get the datacron.

BW does not need to coddle every player no matter how much some would prefer that everything be handed to them on a silver platter.

Except for those times when the choice is taken out of the player's hands. Again, personally speaking, my skill today is unchanged from that yesterday, yet due to those recognized issues I simply cannot access some datacrons on my other systems. No matter how much I want that reward. Absolutely BW need not coddle to anybody playing this game, but yet they have (as well as other developers and the industry as a whole) have proven they have no problem doing just that for the "aversion to effort" crowd - and usually to the betterment of the game and community.

So, I guess we should make all PVP players just stand there and just trade shots with the opposing team, since a player's rig and network can have a huge impact on their PVP experience also.

The same goes for ANY part of the game.

If a player wants the rewards enough, they will obtain them as they were designed. Of course, you will always have those that want the rewards, but want those rewards handed to them.

Certainly not, but what we see on a daily basis are developers actively working on ways to eliminate those issues. The solutions to those problems are as varied as the games and developers themselves, and the extent of those solutions often scale to the nature of the content affected. Again, providing a means to minimize the platforming for some of the datacrons maintains the spirit of the design and intent of the 'crons as well as brings the effort for each 'cron in line with all the other 'crons that offer the same scale of rewards; it also eliminates the recognized issues that affect the game (including hopelessly /stuck characters); and provides additional benefits to the gameplay experience. Again, the 'crons were designed as a reward for exploration. Whether other options for that exploration exist or not change nothing about that original design. But of course, as mentioned many many times, even the "original design" of any piece of content is subject to change at any time for any reason, as the many many precedents have shown.

Edited by TravelersWay

Yes, and it is up to each parent to decide how to raise their children (well, them and the Laws regulating such things). Ultimately, I have found there is no right nor wrong way to do it. I have seen many a child raised as you and I would raise them and still wind up with less than desirable attitudes, shall we say. I have also seen the converse - many a child raised in less than ideal circumstances rise above that and become very outstanding citizens of my community.

Except for those times when the choice is taken out of the player's hands. Again, personally speaking, my skill today is unchanged from that yesterday, yet due to those recognized issues I simply cannot access some datacrons on my other systems. No matter how much I want that reward. Absolutely BW need not coddle to anybody playing this game, but yet they have (as well as other developers and the industry as a whole) have proven they have no problem doing just that.

Certainly not, but what we see on a daily basis are developers actively working on ways to eliminate those issues. The solutions to those problems are as varied as the games and developers themselves, and the extent of those solutions often scale to the nature of the content affected. Again, providing a means to minimize the platforming for some of the datacrons maintains the spirit of the design and intent of the 'crons as well as brings the effort for each 'cron in line with all the other 'crons that offer the same scale of rewards; it also eliminates the recognized issues that affect the game (including hopelessly /stuck characters); and provides additional benefits to the gameplay experience. Again, the 'crons were designed as a reward for exploration. Whether other options for that exploration exist or not change nothing about that original design. But of course, as mentioned many many times, even the "original design" of any piece of content is subject to change at any time for any reason, as the many many precedents have shown.

We can debate this until the cows come home.

You seem to want to cater to those with a false sense of self-entitlement that are too averse to the effort to actually find the datacrons as they were designed and intended to be found. You seem to want to hand those datacrons out on a silver platter by making it easier to obtain them from the start.

I favor requiring players to find them at least once as they were designed and intended to be found. After that, make it easier to find them again.

It seems that you are not going to change your "no player left behind" attitude, and I will not change my "if you want that reward, go earn it" attitude.

Our debate will not change the fact that the devs have said NO and that some of the children have decided to throw a tantrum and continue to whine, cry and complain.

That would be awesome, it would be just like EVE Online, where vets farm new players in PvP.

+40 all stats would really help vets farm new players in low level PvP.

Stupid idea.

This is total nonsense. It's safe to assume, when 3.0 hits, bolster will be pushed to 60. Main-stat caps will be clipping 3k. That extra +40 will give you a solid 1.3% advantage. :rolleyes:

As far as OW, it's pointless to consider it to begin with. But, even still, there's nothing there that doesn't already occur anyway. And besides, by the time you even run into someone of the other faction main-stats are already ~500.

We should just remove quick travel too while we're at it. After all, those people didn't put forth enough effort to simply teleport to a different location, they need to drive all the way to their destination, otherwise they'll feel entitled. Amirite Ratajack? We wouldn't want to have your decrepit *** walk uphill through 6 feet of snow both ways and not force everyone else to do it, right?

I seriously would love to see them add legacy datacrons, if only for the ****storm Ratajack would attempt to create on general discussion.

We should just remove quick travel too while we're at it. After all, those people didn't put forth enough effort to simply teleport to a different location, they need to drive all the way to their destination, otherwise they'll feel entitled. Amirite Ratajack? We wouldn't want to have your decrepit *** walk uphill through 6 feet of snow both ways and not force everyone else to do it, right?

I seriously would love to see them add legacy datacrons, if only for the ****storm Ratajack would attempt to create on general discussion.

I guess it's too bad for you that the devs have said "NO", then.

You seem to want to cater to those with a false sense of self-entitlement that are too averse to the effort to actually find the datacrons as they were designed and intended to be found. You seem to want to hand those datacrons out on a silver platter by making it easier to obtain them from the start.

I favor requiring players to find them at least once as they were designed and intended to be found. After that, make it easier to find them again.

It seems that you are not going to change your "no player left behind" attitude, and I will not change my "if you want that reward, go earn it" attitude.

Our debate will not change the fact that the devs have said NO and that some of the children have decided to throw a tantrum and continue to whine, cry and complain.

Chalk it up to philosophical differences. However, I don't see very many people here acting in such an immature manner that you describe. In fact, I have found the debates quite entertaining and enlightening. However, your attitude in this post smacks of the very attitude you describe and seem to loathe. It's a shame that you have to resort to such name calling when attempting to defend your position when I don't feel it is at all necessary.

We subscribe to two different methods of game design. Mine hardly means handing out datacrons on a silver platter. Quite contrary, the method you support does. My method requires that each and every player continue to access each and every datacron directly with each and every character they have on their account. My method simply adds one more option to doing so in addition to the ones that we already have, and that method still maintains the original design and intent of the datacrons - rewards for exploring off the beaten path (or in some cases close enough to the beaten path to almost trip over them). Adding another option such as I suggest changes none of that. The effort to get to the datacron location still must be made on each and every character. My method also just happens to minimize/eliminate the troubling issue that plagues on-line games - lag/latency, and the problems of finding someone who can help out at the time you happen to be on-line (another issue that continues to haunt on-line games, no matter how popular they become) and still allow someone to hunt those few datacrons for which these problems become an issue.

I subscribe to the theory that the gaming industry has been shifting towards for years now. Making games and content more accessible to more people. More people playing more games means more money flowing into the industry to make even more games. More people having more options to enjoy more content in their game of choice, while still allowing for a myriad of philosophies and playstyles means a more money for that game, and hence more development time and resources to making more content for that game. As I have mentioned before, it seems that the industry, seems to agree with this philosphy and has grown immensely because of it. On a smaller scale, I have seen this philosophy applied successfully in many games I have played, including this one.

Ultimately, human society in and of itself has greatly benefited and made many advances thanks to the notion that being "adverse to effort" can lead to a better and easier way of doing something. Yes, I certainly have no problems with that philosophy whatsoever. I remain confident that society, the gaming industry, and BioWare will still continue to apply that philosphy where and when it becomes beneficial to do so.

Edited by TravelersWay

What the heck is "easier to find"? In the real world, we call that doing something half-***.

If you are going to the trouble of trying to convince people that they should just do a little less work but still do some work then you aren't making a good case. You are already conceding that we do a little "less" work by making them easier to find but you haven't made a single explanation of what that means.

Programatically, you CAN'T make them easier to find. They are objects on the world map. They have to be accessed via the way they get accessed. It would actually be harder and MORE difficult to have the developers create some kind of system or procedure that make them "slightly easier" to get to.

There are only TWO possible outcomes that makes sense in the real world:

1. They do nothing and make no changes.

2. They force you to find them once then the datacron is unlockable on all characters.

Anything else is a complete waste of time and resources.

"easier to find" Lol. I don't think you know how any of this works.

Working harder is a misnomer. Too many people still attach working hard with some kind of intrinsic value. Working hard is great. It will get you somewhere...sometimes. But lets not confuse "working harder" to playing video games where the value is what the user perceives. It is not a strict value judgment like working at your job (where as you are paid by your net worth to the company, generally speaking).

Edited by Arkerus

Chalk it up to philosophical differences. However, I don't see very many people here acting in such an immature manner that you describe. In fact, I have found the debates quite entertaining and enlightening. However, your attitude in this post smacks of the very attitude you describe and seem to loathe. It's a shame that you have to resort to such name calling when attempting to defend your position when I don't feel it is at all necessary.

We subscribe to two different methods of game design. Mine hardly means handing out datacrons on a silver platter. Quite contrary, the method you support does. My method requires that each and every player continue to access each and every datacron directly with each and every character they have on their account. My method simply adds one more option to doing so in addition to the ones that we already have, and that method still maintains the original design and intent of the datacrons - rewards for exploring off the beaten path (or in some cases close enough to the beaten path to almost trip over them). Adding another option such as I suggest changes none of that. The effort to get to the datacron location still must be made on each and every character. My method also just happens to minimize/eliminate the troubling issue that plagues on-line games - lag/latency, and the problems of finding someone who can help out at the time you happen to be on-line (another issue that continues to haunt on-line games, no matter how popular they become) and still allow someone to hunt those few datacrons for which these problems become an issue.

I subscribe to the theory that the gaming industry has been shifting towards for years now. Making games and content more accessible to more people. More people playing more games means more money flowing into the industry to make even more games. More people having more options to enjoy more content in their game of choice, while still allowing for a myriad of philosophies and playstyles means a more money for that game, and hence more development time and resources to making more content for that game. As I have mentioned before, it seems that the industry, seems to agree with this philosphy and has grown immensely because of it. On a smaller scale, I have seen this philosophy applied successfully in many games I have played, including this one.

Ultimately, human society in and of itself has greatly benefited and made many advances thanks to the notion that being "adverse to effort" can lead to a better and easier way of doing something. Yes, I certainly have no problems with that philosophy whatsoever. I remain confident that society, the gaming industry, and BioWare will still continue to apply that philosphy where and when it becomes beneficial to do so.

Again, you seem to ignore the fact that I also support a means to make it easier to access those datacrons on SUBSEQUENT characters. The player would still have to find each and every datacron on eacha nd every character if they want the bonuses for those characters. The only difference between what you support and what I support is that I support making it easier to reach those few datacrons that require platforming AFTER the player has found them all at least once the way they were designed and intended to be found.

What the heck is "easier to find"? In the real world, we call that doing something half-***.

If you are going to the trouble of trying to convince people that they should just do a little less work but still do some work then you aren't making a good case. You are already conceding that we do a little "less" work by making them easier to find but you haven't made a single explanation of what that means.

Programatically, you CAN'T make them easier to find. They are objects on the world map. They have to be accessed via the way they get accessed. It would actually be harder and MORE difficult to have the developers create some kind of system or procedure that make them "slightly easier" to get to.

2. They force you to find them once then the datacron is unlockable on all characters.

Working harder is a misnomer. Too many people still attach working hard with some kind of intrinsic value. Working hard is great. It will get you somewhere...sometimes. But lets not confuse "working harder" to playing video games where the value is what the user perceives. It is not a strict value judgment like working at your job (where as you are paid by your net worth to the company, generally speaking).

It would seem that the devs have chosen to go with option 1.

Maybe I should have been more careful with my wording. When I said "easier to find", I meant "easier to obtain".

That said, you are mistaken that there is no way to make the datacrons easier to obtain. Many have suggested adding new legacy skills such as a grappling hook, that could be targeted to get you to that next platform instead of having to jump. How difficult this would be to code in to the game, I have no idea, but I do not doubt that it could be done, should the devs choose to do so.

Good to see these threads are still around. Not.

The Datacrons should always be earned regardless if you feel you've earned them on another character.

The way this game has evolved, the stats are minuscule now. Perhaps at level fifty, it might have been an extra piece of gear, or close, at level sixty, not so much.

The Datacrons won't be the difference between success or failure in a raid. And if it is, you might want to check your raid as to why it got to that point.

Bottom LIne. The Datacrons are a game within a game. In other words, a mini-game. They're not game breaking.

Ratajack, myself, and the plethora of others will continue to oppose this change.

Edited by Pirana

I can think of something that could easily be done to make finding datacrons a little easier for players who don't want to use online guides. They could take a nod from Elder Scrolls Online and their Skyshards system. In ESO players would collect 3 skyshards to earn 1 skill point, and the skyshards were hidden all over the game world and in dungeons. When a player was within a certain range of a skyshard they would see a beam of light shooting up into the sky from the skyshards location. While it didn't give much in the way of direct information about how to get to the skyshard, it gave players enough of a general location that they could know it was nearby and begin searching for a way to get to where it was located.

Datacrons could be updated so that they projected a beam of light into the sky in a similar fashion though. This would allow many players to get an idea that there is something nearby that might be worth investigating. As it stands right now, unless you find a datacron by accident or look up a guide online, many new players have no idea they even exist. The game doesn't give any hints or clue to their existence or importance to a player currently. Something along these lines would be a great addition to the game I think, while at the same time, still leaving a lot of the mystery and challenge in place.

Edit: I just remember how bad the rendering distance is in this game though, so maybe this isn't possible due to game engine limitations. lol

Edited by Orizuru

You are never going to get everything you want, unless you are a billionaire and willing to pay for it.

So figure out your priorities: Legacy datacrons, or more content? Legacy datacrons, or a hood toggle? Legacy datacrons, or better class balance? Legacy datacrons, or not having cloaks drag beneath speeders? Legacy datacrons, or Traditional Jedi Robes™? Legacy datacrons, or 16m SM GF Ops? Legacy datacrons, or 1faster PvP queus pops? And so on ...

IMO, because there is so much else that would be better to have in this game than Legacy datacrons, Legacy datacrons will never happen.

When a player was within a certain range of a skyshard they would see a beam of light shooting up into the sky from the skyshards location. While it didn't give much in the way of direct information about how to get to the skyshard, it gave players enough of a general location that they could know it was nearby and begin searching for a way to get to where it was located.

Datacrons could be updated so that they projected a beam of light into the sky in a similar fashion though. This would allow many players to get an idea that there is something nearby that might be worth investigating. {snip}

Edit: I just remember how bad the rendering distance is in this game though, so maybe this isn't possible due to game engine limitations. lol

Actually, this already exists... I can see datacrons at a distance off (they glow, and that glow can be seen even when the cron itself isn't in direct view (which most are btw). I am not on some uber machine (heck I still run XP). They are also accompanied by a humming sound when you are a bit closer.

Personally, I have the datacron master title, and worked on one character to get them all (with the exception of the faction specific ones). After that set, I only go and get the Endurance, Main Stat (for current character), and Shards... I don't see the need for Legacy Datacrons. would I turn it down, no.... but as someone said above, would rather them focus on other areas.

Actually, this already exists... I can see datacrons at a distance off (they glow, and that glow can be seen even when the cron itself isn't in direct view (which most are btw). I am not on some uber machine (heck I still run XP). They are also accompanied by a humming sound when you are a bit closer.

I seem to recall a faint glow. Its hard for me to remember because I haven't gone after datacrons in a very long time. I managed to get almost all of them on my Jugg back around patch 1.4 or 1.5 I think and haven't bother with them on any alts since.

From what I remember though, you had to have line-of-sight to the datacron for the glow to be noticeable in most cases. The system ESO used for Skyshards was more forgiving because the beam of light was about 100 feet tall and was completely unmistakable for anything else.

I don't care one way or the other really. The relics from the shards are all obsolete now, and the total stat difference from the datacrons isn't as important since the level cap was raised to 55 and stat budget on gear increased. As we move into 3.0 the stat budget will increase yet again, further diminishing the value of the datacrons beyond an achievement. I say leave the current system alone really. It was a fun, but frustrating, mini-game when I hunted for them on my Jugg. A new method of acquiring the grappling hook item you need to reach many of the datacrons would be a nice QoL change though.

Since the datacron bonuses are soooo minor, then it will not hurt you not to have them on a specific character if you do not feel like finding them with that character, right?

If you feel that those bonuses of +40 to all stats are soooo important, then they are worth putting forth the minimal effort required to EARN them, right?

Hey, I said that.

The way this game has evolved, the stats are minuscule now. Perhaps at level fifty, it might have been an extra piece of gear, or close, at level sixty, not so much.

Bottom LIne. The Datacrons are a game within a game. In other words, a mini-game. They're not game breaking.

That's the whole point.

It's a completely extraneous game mechanic. One, I might add, that was programed and designed poorly. Forcing those that want them to do it multiple times (literally dozens for some) is superfluity for the sake of it.

Even if the platforming was consistently predictable and accessible to most, it would still be a waste of time. But it is neither of those things. The rewards no longer offset the effort. They do not break the game in anyway and people still have to get them once.

To any reasonable person, completely dismissing the idea comes off as total obstinacy. Though I admit I find people who can make false anagoges the same time as a false equivalencies to be rather charming.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.