Please introduce dual spec ASAP

Ultrazen

They also announced the ability to swap faction back a long time ago, when is that coming?

I don't recall that announcement, please provide a link.

Here's my link: http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20110916

Q: Since it has been clearly stated that there will not be dual specs for characters in the game, can you explain your philosophy behind the skill trees and how you are taking into account players that want to be able to play PvP and PvE content on the same character? - illumineart

A: Dual Speccing is something we want to add soon after launch. Also, features like Guard, PvP Taunt, Resolve, etc. work to narrow the gap between PvP and PvE specialized skills (i.e. a +Block skill would be helpful in both PvE and PvP).

As you can see their intention to provide dual spec isn't some vague "yeah that would be nice to add some point down the road", they were pretty specific in terms of announcing this would be added soon after launch. It's coming, and the world won't end when it's released either.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the flip of that coin then does this:

The people that need to learn and become better cannot because they are now sadly shelled into a corner or manifest into even worse groups.

So while you want to promote the super user community, the lesser becomes worse. This is how WoW went down.

Being forced to talk or try to take someone at least builds on attempts at a working community... not making it a exclusive locked out one.

Being in a very high end game raiding group in WoW showed me this... while sure it was fun it was very NON- community building if your trying to say it is thats funny.

Bads being rewarded with content without having to improve to see said content is what made WoW suck. Dual spec had nothing to do with it.

As it stands now, you'll end up with more bad healers/tanks at endgame than you would normally because the path of least resistance is to dps your way to 50 then change specs. With mods, you can even pvp for full orange gear and you don't even need to worry about saving a second gear set if that's what you're after. With pvp giving rewards to losers, they won't even need to be good at pvp, just patient enough to get the drops.

You can literally have a first-timer tank in a heroic in a full suit of something he thought looked "tanky" - all ENCOURAGED because the path of least resistance encouraged him to level to 50 as dps without ever tanking an instance.

Edited by Bekkal

Ask anyone that has been following this game for a long time. In the mean time, I will find it for you so you don't have to think. Isn't that why you want dual-spec?

Insult me all you want, but it won't change that I'm demanding that you back up your claim with actual evidence.

No -- see this is not about that, SOME are posting here meaning they want to change their entire AC spec

Who here has seriously asked for a complete AC swap? it's already been stated that they will not allow this, at all, and it's not even part of the subject at hand

2. If you are speding 90% of the game soloing, you need to get some friends and play the game with them or ask in generl chat if anyone wants to quest with you.
Not true at all. If you spend 90% of the game soloing, and you're enjoying yourself, then you should continue to solo. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just because it isn't the playstyle that you prefer, that doesn't make it wrong.

Why are you constantly re-specing anyway?
Because he prefers playing a dps spec, but is willing to play as a healer occasionally if it's needed. Seems pretty obvious to anyone who's actually willing to look at other people's playstyles as valid choices instead of "your doign it rong!"

Also, I said this in one of the other many threads about adding a dual spec, so here I go again. I will allow Bioware to implement a dual spec tool into the game if, and only if, it hinders you in a way for using it.
This doesn't make any sense. There's already dual spec in the game: you just go respec, since you can do that as much as you want. There's no hindrance that is involved so there's no reason to add that. Obviously Bioware intends for the choice of spec to not have a lasting consequence.

The issue is that it currently carries a per use cost that people find unreasonable; they're asking for a flat, one time fee option. This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Edited by ferroz

Actually they did. Like I said, it was many years ago. Pretty much back when they first announced the game and for the whole time, up until earlier this year. Think it was even minorly mentioned at E-3 as something they were still trying to tweak to be able to work in the game.

No they didn't. In fact, they were quite clear the opposite would be true and that you would not be switching sides. There were endless threads crying about it.

Sure you can but at a slower pace and the dual-speccers can't be bothered by this slowness because it want it now.

This isn't the kind of game that rewards you extra for "sacrifice" when that supposed sacrifice was 100% voluntary. In other words, stop expecting handouts for playing the way you want to play.

This is false. I will be leveling to 50 as a dps or pvp spec on every character unless they put in dual speccing, and I will almost always play healers at 50. I will most assuredly take the spot of the person who "worked hard" and "endured the less than stellar levels" because I can pay a very small amount of credits to respec once or twice over my leveling period and end up in the same position they are in, only faster and more enjoyably.

So what your saying is then the group will suffer because you played 1-50 as DPS and now want to dabble in healing for certain cases. And now they are stuck with a dude who doesn't know healing very well....great news for the rest of us.

You could level 1-80 as a Restoration Shaman in WotLK in WoW. It was, in fact, quite easy. It was also boring, required no pre-planning, no fight control, and had essentially no risk.

Very few people did it.

Actually now you are talking about with LFD x server involved so ofc you could basicluy humping mailbox in LFG is always fun.............

And by that time you did aswell have dual specc so in that game from a very low level think it was 35 or something at that time.

Did you try it in Vanilla or TBc aswell?

you know why they implemented dual specc.?

It was because of Tanks and healers had almost 0 in damage and couldnt do anything outside groups killing a mob before on my holy priest was my whole mana bar..

But here i do have dps and i am moving in a great speed and i dont feel underpowered at all as a healer soloing so still Why is it needed for PVE ?

Edited by Varghjerta

This is even worse than his statement. Dual spec doesn't allow you to cover 2 roles at the same time. If I'm in tank spec, I need a healer and DPS. If I'm in DPS spec, now I need a healer and tank.

I don't think you even know what dual speccing is.

I know exactly what it is. Here is an example:

You are dual specced, one is Tank, one is DPS

I am dual specced, one is Heals, one is DPS.

Now we can advertise for "two more, we don't care what roles you are"; if we get two DPS, you Tank and I Heal. If we get a DPS and a Tank, you DPS I Heal, if we get a DPS and a Healer, you Tank I DPS.

If everyone has Dual-Spec (and you and I can be a Tank or Healer if we want to as it is one of our specs), we don't need to grow our relationships with other players because it doesn't matter who we get.

So what your saying is then the group will suffer because you played 1-50 as DPS and now want to dabble in healing for certain cases. And now they are stuck with a dude who doesn't know healing very well....great news for the rest of us.

Stop acting like learning a role is rocket science. Any decent player can pick up healing in 20 minutes.

No they didn't. In fact, they were quite clear the opposite would be true and that you would not be switching sides. There were endless threads crying about it.

In there really early concepts, they mentioned that they would like to implement the ability to be able to switch sides. Stating such things as being an Imperial working undercover in the republic and such. You would have to go full on evil/good to do it though. No simple *POOF* I'm on the other side.

People shouldnt get confused by what the op is saying he means dual spec within the same AC, not having the option of playing both AC's with the same character.

The former i /sign, the latter if it ever did happen (im theorising as i know bioware will NEVER do it, then thats this game down the toilet)

Stop acting like learning a role is rocket science. Any decent player can pick up healing in 20 minutes.

Given ive never healed in any MMO, it would probably take me more than 20mins to learn it, but if i do role a heal spec swtor it seems is probably one of the easier games to learn it on.

I still think you should just play your class and learn it as well as possible, then start another character and play through levelling another class and learning that as well as possible. You will end up with a better understanding of each class, more credits, two different looking and feeling characters, different companions and relationships, and basically a whole new gaming experience.

It's only to level 50, it's not like in some games where i'd now rather watch a 90 year old with cataracts try to strip every last dot of paint off an infinite wall than level another character.

I am quite competent as a healer as I have been healing in MMOs for the past decade+. Lil Johnny over there, however, has not, and he will be a great burden to many groups because he knows jack all about healing and didn't get to do it as he leveled because dual spec didn't exist.

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

Edited by Bekkal

Given ive never healed in any MMO, it would probably take me more than 20mins to learn it, but if i do role a heal spec swtor it seems is probably one of the easier games to learn it on.

Plus notice the caveat "any decent player"... which is all well and good when everyone in the game is a decent player, or if you absolutely positively never ever find yourself needing to pug at any point ever, for anything.

I still think you should just play your class and learn it as well as possible, then start another character and play through levelling another class and learning that as well as possible. You will end up with a better understanding of each class, more credits, two different looking and feeling characters, different companions and relationships, and basically a whole new gaming experience.

It's only to level 50, it's not like in some games where i'd now rather watch a 90 year old with cataracts try to strip every last dot of paint off an infinite wall than level another character.

I'd rather not level two operatives when I can already go to the trainer and respec my talent points.