3.0 information today?? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Thmsleon

And people said I was unduly pessimistic for not expecting it to be out this year...

(March.)

I said earlier this year the expansion was bound to be delayed.

Then Bioware stepped in, said it would still be released this year and I was overjoyed, happy to be wrong.

Now, we have Mr. Bruce saying they're "committed" to launch the expansion this year still.

See the wording? :rolleyes:

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine don't tell us details ... but at least throw us another friggin bone. Can't be that bad can it? Something you can confirm? Like the level cap increase, or the new planet?

SOMETHING! We have been waiting patiently, and now you just pissed off a lot of people.

a lot...so like 4?

they already confirmed level increase. along with class changes, and along to go with that crafting levels.

Fine don't tell us details ... but at least throw us another friggin bone. Can't be that bad can it? Something you can confirm? Like the level cap increase, or the new planet?

SOMETHING! We have been waiting patiently, and now you just pissed off a lot of people.

The only person pissed off here is you and it's both hilarious and entirely predictable.

• Dev Post
Non sarcastic question: Your community team grew during this content cycle. A 3.0 announcement is, judging by your past history of announcing content for this game, going to be a ~500 word press release with an image tease, or it may be a 2 minute producer video with a breakdown that may be the equivalent of 1.5 pages in length. Either way, I don't understand how you could, on Friday, think you would be ready for the announcement, then change your mind on Monday. Were you more ahead of the curve and then suddenly regressed? As for information being correct, are you referring to the really nice thing for subscribers? Because you could literally omit that information to keep everything correct, or just mention at the tail end that subscribers or preorders will get a perk or perks to be named later. You make it sound like a 1 page cover letter announcement requires the entire dev staff to get the phrasing right. This expac is supposed to be out "this year." And it hasn't been announced yet.

If you delay the ANNOUNCEMENT by a few weeks, that implies you will have 2.5 months left in the calendar year for testing. But out of that 2.5 months, MOST of the testing will be in the first 2-3 weeks. After that, you're implementing changes. So It makes me wonder how you'd think this timeline seems wholly acceptable. It's going to seem rushed, regardless of actual polish, because you're delaying the announcement, which pushes up the time between said announcement and release. Is the pre-order window going to be the equivalent of a double XP week where you have 5-7 days total to pre-order? Because the window between this announcement and the release, if it follows the "this year" timeline, is going to be very small.

This is a great question (or questions?), that I think are on a lot of folks minds. As you can imagine I can't go too deep into the rabbit hole in talking about our internal processes but I can give it a go.

In short, the process we go through internally to announce something as big as an expansion is actually quite complex and extensive. Although you are correct in that the end process may be a video, a landing page with some copy, etc. the process to get there requires a large amount of moving parts across multiple teams. Aside from just the assets and webpages there is arguably one of the most important aspects of these types of announcements, the game!

By the time we announce we have to have a concrete idea of what will be coming in the game with the expansion, what types of perks we might give our subscribers, etc. Unfortunately with so many moving parts, we can sometimes run into the scenario like we did today. If we are not 100% confident in what we are going to put out, for a multitude of possible reasons, it can lead to a delay of announcement.

I would caution not to read too deep into what I said above. It is somewhere in the cog of those moving parts that this delay happened, but ultimately our goal remains the same: to get you as many details about this expansion as soon as we can!

-eric

I said earlier this year the expansion was bound to be delayed.

Then Bioware stepped in, said it would still be released this year and I was overjoyed, happy to be wrong.

Now, we have Mr. Bruce saying they're "committed" to launch the expansion this year still.

See the wording? :rolleyes:

They'll be back in time for Christmas.

(Too soon?)

This is a great question (or questions?), that I think are on a lot of folks minds. As you can imagine I can't go too deep into the rabbit hole in talking about our internal processes but I can give it a go.

In short, the process we go through internally to announce something as big as an expansion is actually quite complex and extensive. Although you are correct in that the end process may be a video, a landing page with some copy, etc. the process to get there requires a large amount of moving parts across multiple teams. Aside from just the assets and webpages there is arguably one of the most important aspects of these types of announcements, the game!

By the time we announce we have to have a concrete idea of what will be coming in the game with the expansion, what types of perks we might give our subscribers, etc. Unfortunately with so many moving parts, we can sometimes run into the scenario like we did today. If we are not 100% confident in what we are going to put out, for a multitude of possible reasons, it can lead to a delay of announcement.

I would caution not to read too deep into what I said above. It is somewhere in the cog of those moving parts that this delay happened, but ultimately our goal remains the same: to get you as many details about this expansion as soon as we can!

-eric

I don't care, I want at least some kind of announcement. You promised ... you will deliver. Simple as that, this is just bad business handling ... but again should've expected that.

-eric

Thank you again Eric, for your continued assistance in speaking to us on these matters.

-eric

Have to have all the cogs working as one, totally get that. Thanks again Eric!

Personally, I think that it was a bad move to delay, If they had a plan to release info and start pre-orders by the end of the month they should of had everything in the works long before now.

I'm guessing they have a feature that they are trying to get into 3.0 but it's on the edge and they don't want to promise something and it doesn't make it then they have other issues, however they should be in late testing/polish now if they want to release by the end of the year.

Another possibility is that Star Wars Rebels comes out on Friday and then starts on the 13th and they either don't want to mix them or want the hype from Rebels to try and carry over to SWTOR.

Either way, completely holding back all information seems like a bad plan, given the "WE WILL HAVE A FULL REVEAL BY THE END OF THE MONTH" comments.

Is it the end of the world or the game? no. Am I going to unsub? no. Am I frustrated and a bit angry? yes.

When someone says they are going to do something they need to do it or give em an update worth mentioning, something to tide me over...a progress report and some details is what i'm looking for.

Their best and easiest course of action at this point is some images and maybe some info (videos take too much unless they are done), that would completely defuse the entire situation and keep people(most anyway) happy. But complete silence and a "I'm sorry" post doesn't do anything but look bad(even though it's a nice act) and fuel the fire!

Edited by Danw

As a replacement to said update, I will accept a public-lashing of whomever was responsible.

A twitch feed will suffice.

Edit: How you should've announced the delay was have the person responsible post that it was their fault. There are limits to the anger when it's concentrated on one person. Blaming the machinations of these cogs makes it to easy for someone to blow a gasket and expect repentance.

Edit2: Unless it was Margaret from accounting, no one wants to hear from her.

Edited by Kremsau

-eric

I think most people would understand this, well let me rephrase, most people SHOULD understand this. Alas, if its too soon and it changes you get blasted. If its too late, blasted still. Not enough, guess what, blasted. Said in the wrong tone "Heal to full anyone" and blasted. Don't say anything and get blasted for no details.

Where did you find that +10 skin thickness armor you wear to help you get through your job? Cause I could use a dose of it as well.

Where did you find that +10 skin thickness armor you wear to help you get through your job? Cause I could use a dose of it as well.

I get the feeling he's been in front-line retail before, during Christmas. In a toy store, during a "must have" toy season.

If we are not 100% confident in what we are going to put out, for a multitude of possible reasons, it can lead to a delay of announcement.

Oh dear...

It's a sad day, but /unsub. If you're still talking about what's actually going to go into the expansion, and think it's going to be out this year - well, it's going to be a hot mess. I'm not mad about the lack of the announcement, I'm upset because I was afraid that this is what it meant. BioWare went from my favorite developer to a developer whose products I'm incredibly cautious about. I definitely won't preorder Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or whatever Eric and Courtney were screwing around with, but I always held out hope for SWTOR. Now I have to be cautious about even that.

So how many of those "cogs" were you still unsure about on Friday? If one or two, then you could just omit them in the announcement, right? Add them later as a bonus. Now it looks like this whole expansion is in deep problems if you have so many unconfirmed parts that you can't tell us anything substantial about it.

Sincerely, I hope you will lose some subscribers because of this. You must realise that slowly people will be losing patience with the way you talk (or rather don't talk) to them. For once, I just let my sub run out and will not renew at least until 3.0 hits next year :p

So how many of those "cogs" were you still unsure about on Friday? If one or two, then you could just omit them in the announcement, right? Add them later as a bonus. Now it looks like this whole expansion is in deep problems if you have so many unconfirmed parts that you can't tell us anything substantial about it.

Sincerely, I hope you will lose some subscribers because of this. You must realise that slowly people will be losing patience with the way you talk (or rather don't talk) to them. For once, I just let my sub run out and will not renew at least until 3.0 hits next year :p

Meh they probably won't lose subscribers ... but a lot of pissed off people will remain.

Hey folks,

First, I want to apologize for the last minute nature of getting you the information on the delay. I know many of you are frustrated that Tait and I didn't mention anything on the stream on Friday. Simply put, the studio was doing everything possible to still announce all of the details today or tomorrow, in September. Unfortunately, as of today, we moved the timeline back and so we told you once that decision was made. I realize "a couple of weeks sounds ominous," but know that everyone is hard at work to get you this information as soon as we can (which will hopefully be sooner, rather than later).

We are all really excited to share details of our next expansion with you. I know you are all eager to hear details, any details, and we will get you all of the details as soon as we can. We just want to make sure all of the information is correct before we put it out there.

Thank you again for your patience with this.

-eric

Not good enough. You know what level the next expansion will take the game to. You know how many operations with how many bosses there will be. You know whether there will be any new warzones. You know how many planets will be involved in the expansion. THAT is the sort of into that you can and should release.

If you don't know that sort of information then the game is seriously, seriously screwed.

Oh dear...

It's a sad day, but /unsub. If you're still talking about what's actually going to go into the expansion, and think it's going to be out this year - well, it's going to be a hot mess. I'm not mad about the lack of the announcement, I'm upset because I was afraid that this is what it meant. BioWare went from my favorite developer to a developer whose products I'm incredibly cautious about. I definitely won't preorder Dragon Age, Mass Effect, or whatever Eric and Courtney were screwing around with, but I always held out hope for SWTOR. Now I have to be cautious about even that.

You do realize that Bioware has only been a brand since the aquisition of EA. If you were frustrated all this time with Bioware than why didn`t you quit this game already than to "have hopes". That`s foolish.

Real life can be a ***** and sometimes things don`t go according to plan. Those are only humans who work at Bioware. They all work hard but you can´t expect that every hard working person will be as good as the genius from before. In other words, most of original Bioware staff is gone, the ones you love so much are all gone. However new people also deserve a chance even if they can`t be as good as the old ones.