Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Scam/Not a Scam debate storyline

LyraineAlei

I would much rather just have the seller names removed all together. Its a waste of space that people use as a means to hold grudges against others they don't like for whatever reason.

Ok, and I can understand that desire. The ignore list works the same way from what I understand. But all I would say is this...what if the player reforms? What if it is something you really need?

Are you sure you want to remove the players name completely? That could end up becoming a nuisance as well.

This is why I think a simple flag or mark would be better.

If I am to understand you support such a feature...I was under the impression you were against it.

Edited by LordArtemis

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, and I can understand that desire. The ignore list works the same way from what I understand. But all I would say is this...what if the player reforms? What if it is something you really need?

Are you sure you want to remove the players name completely? That could end up becoming a nuisance as well.

This is why I think a simple flag or mark would be better.

By that I mean remove the column that shows the player name, not what they are selling.

By that I mean remove the column that shows the player name, not what they are selling.

Oh my. I would be strongly against that change. I want to be able to know who I am buying from, and whether or not they deserve my purchase.

Frankly some sellers do not deserve ANY recognition from me whatsoever.

I just got scammed out of 8 mil cause of the price setting scam, since whats done its done ill like to ban those sellers that put this prices for appearing at my sellers list, how can i do this pls?

Do you mean that YOU failed to PAY ATTENTION to what you were doing, what you were buying and the price for that item? Do you mean that YOU failed to read the confirmation pop-up and blindly clicked the CONFIRM PURCHASE button?

Now you want BW to add yet another layer of protection to protect you from yourself?

Do I understand that correctly?

I have a better idea ill suggest they remove /ignore from chat and forums and ill spam you email, forums and chat so much that you come here begging they introduce some kind of safeguard

My suggestion of introducing /ignore to the GTN so i dont get to buy your stuff is very legitimate and a safeguard for me not buying or listening to you or anyone i dont feel like wanting to, spam email or spam GTN prices is just as bad and should be adressed

Is not about having BW take my hand its about being real with a customer dissatisfaction and obvious exploid

Maybe you are benefiting from it and thats why you point the free market finger at something thats obviuosly made to scam people

On another note ill just have a toon spam the GTN with so many "doubitous" sales it will make it look obvious and i can do this forever until my heart content or until BW does something about it, maybe even you will come here asking for this so be real

Go ahead and spam me. All i have to do is to look at the name of the sender and delete.

Oh, that's right. You already HAVE that option with the GTN since every item has a listed seller. Simply check to see who the seller is and if it is a seller you with who you prefer not to deal, then don't buy that item. Once again, you already have the tools available. You simply have to pay attention and not expect bW to protect you from YOURSELF and YOUR inattentiveness.

Go ahead and spam me. All i have to do is to look at the name of the sender and delete.

Oh, that's right. You already HAVE that option with the GTN since every item has a listed seller. Simply check to see who the seller is and if it is a seller you with who you prefer not to deal, then don't buy that item. Once again, you already have the tools available. You simply have to pay attention and not expect bW to protect you from YOURSELF and YOUR inattentiveness.

And not to mention that there is also an option to refine a search based on price of the item (as mentioned by others). There's the damn /ignore feature for the GTN. Put in the price that you want to pay for the item(s) and you will never have to see the overinflated prices again. My frickin' 9 year old daughter can do that easily enough for cryin' out loud.

Edited by TravelersWay

Oh my. I would be strongly against that change. I want to be able to know who I am buying from, and whether or not they deserve my purchase.

Frankly some sellers do not deserve ANY recognition from me whatsoever.

Why do you think she wants to remain anonymous? She's one of the biggest scammer supporters in these threads.

And for the most part, had he admitted in the first post that he made a mistake and should have been paying more attention and offered his suggestion to prevent that from happening in the future people would be more understanding. Instead he takes no blame, calls a legitimate transaction a scam and demands a means to seek retribution on those he feels have wronged him. Totally different situation.

Yeah, I agree - he could have started by stating he made a mistake.

I would have. I make plenty of mistakes. I'm just too old to worry about how they make me look. :jawa_wink:

He also could have used the term "ignore" instead of the term "ban" in his first posts. "Ban" is way more of a hot button, and it caused more than one misunderstanding in some of the responses he got. Probably set a lot of folks on the defensive from the start with just that one word.

Thing is: It is a scam.

It's just also a legitimate transaction.

Some sellers are taking advantage of the human tendency to rush without looking closely, and the human tendency to see what they expect to see. They are taking advantage of these to trick people into paying 1000x what they ordinarily would pay for items on the GTN.

He got played, entirely within the rules.

It's not an exploit or a hack. It's trickery that the game permits.

So go for it... but it is a scam. Just a legal one.

He's not asking for retribution. He's not trying to scam the credits back from them. He's not seeking to interfere with their gameplay. He just wants to not interact with them anymore over the GTN. Just that. He seeks exactly the same mechanic as /ignore, just applied to the GTN. You may not like how he came out the gate with his OP (and I get that - I didn't react well to it either, when I first read it), but asking about an ability to GTN-ignore someone is totally reasonable.

I happen to like the notion of a seller flagging system a little more, 'cause people & situations can change.

I'd like to have it shared across my legacy, so I can see the flags I've set no matter which toon I'm on.

He got played, entirely within the rules.

It's not an exploit or a hack. It's trickery that the game permits.

So go for it... but it is a scam. Just a legal one.

He's not asking for retribution. He's not trying to scam the credits back from them. He's not seeking to interfere with their gameplay. He just wants to not interact with them anymore over the GTN. Just that. He seeks exactly the same mechanic as /ignore, just applied to the GTN. You may not like how he came out the gate with his OP (and I get that - I didn't react well to it either, when I first read it), but asking about an ability to GTN-ignore someone is totally reasonable.

I happen to like the notion of a seller flagging system a little more, 'cause people & situations can change.

I'd like to have it shared across my legacy, so I can see the flags I've set no matter which toon I'm on.

Very well put congrats

It may be a bit late for this, given how long the thread has gotten, but...

Here's what the Oxford Online Dictionary has to say about 'scam': A dishonest scheme; a fraud.

And here's what it says about 'deceit': The action or practice of deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth

So on both counts, 'scam' and 'deceit', I think you're wrong. It is a scam, and there is deceit involved.

A fraud? A dishonest scheme? Concealing or misrepresenting the truth?

A player lists an item on the GTN for A SET PRICE that CANNOT be changed once the item is listed.

How is this a fraud? Neither the item nor the price can be changed once the item is listed. There is NO fraud.

How is this dishonest? BOTH the item AND the PRICE are clear for anyone paying attention to see. The price may be higher than you like, but the price is HONESTLY listed.

How is this concealing or misrepresenting the truth? Again, BOTH the item AND the PRICE are clear for anyone paying attention to see. There is NO concealing or misrepresenting the truth.

There is, however, BUYER INATTENTIVENESS. BUYER INATTENTIVENESS does not equate a scam or deceit.

The real source of the problem is the poor formatting that makes this scam possible. Scammers can just keep making new characters so blocking any one character wouldn't be effective.

Here is what we have today for unit prices:

$666,667

$666.75

Here is what we'd have if it was formatted properly:

$666,667.00

___ $666.75

(using underscores since the forum will eat the spaces)

It would be much harder to make a mistake if the data was just formatted correctly.

The GTN needs no flagging, cause if you flag something you won't know when to undercut it, which is about 99% of the time cause people always undercut. You just have to simply use the "Credit Filter Cap"

Excellent point. A reason to perhaps not use an ignore feature.

A flagging system (putting some kind of mark next to seller's names on GTN when you look) would still allow you to see what the competitor's prices are, when you're looking to sell.

It would simply remind you of the sellers who - for whatever reason - you don't want to buy from.

The real source of the problem is the poor formatting that makes this scam possible. Scammers can just keep making new characters so blocking any one character wouldn't be effective.

$666,667

$666.75

$666,667.00

___ $666.75

It would be much harder to make a mistake if the data was just formatted correctly.

One has THREE characters after the COMMA and one has TWO characters after the DECIMAL POINT. That seems pretty clear to me. I can count to at least three. From these threads, it seems I may be in the minority, though.

$666,667

$666.75

$666,667.00

___ $666.75

Truth

To all the people having fun blaming the victim:

there is no one blaming "the victim" becase in this particular case involving the gtn system there is no victim to blame .

ANY mis purchase or overpriced purchase is completely the fault of the buyer alone for not paying attention to what they are buying . Period.

Sure, he made a mistake. He could have been more alert about the prices.

.....The prices that someone set at 1000x the reasonable price, counting on that exact mistake.

Yes exactly they made a mistake and they should have been more alert

Personally i think by that definition the majority of stuff on gtn is way above reasonable there are very few item i would classify as "fair price:" on gtn so much that i try to avoid it completely as much as possible but i end up having to use it either for convenience or becase it is the only way to get certain items if you don't have the right schematics or skills .

If his post had simply been In the suggestion are a saying

"hey i wasnt paying attention and made a mistake buying something that turned out to higher price than i wanted to pay and thought of some ways to make things easier"

would have been much better received than

OMG there are scammers on gtn and they scammed me .

In the end there is no one to blame for pushing the buy button then the buyer its that simple. No one forced them to push the buy button therefore it is no ones fault but their own,.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

One has THREE characters after the COMMA and one has TWO characters after the DECIMAL POINT. That seems pretty clear to me. I can count to at least three. From these threads, it seems I may be in the minority, though.

Count me in on the minority. In these cases it is always the buyers fault. I don't care how many transactions you make in a day (I don't believe anyone does 100s a day), a smart person, or a person with some common sense, pays attention to the prices.

My 8 years old nephew can tell me which number is bigger :rolleyes:

Ok, here are the proposed solutions I have seen sofar.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

Did I miss any?

Easiest would likely be to correct the formatting to right justified, next would be removing the fractional currency, followed by flags that can be applied to the character name.

I think simply changing the left justification to right justification is likely the easiest fix.

My preferred one would be the flag system though.

Ok, here are the proposed solutions I have seen sofar.

1) The ability to ignore a character name on the GTN, so the items sold by that character are not shown in searches.

2) The ability to place a red flag on sellers you do not like, green flag on ones you prefer, and a sort function to move red flags to the bottom of a search, green flags to the top. Only you would see the flags you apply.

3) Remove the ability for the system to display fractional currency.

4) Have the formatting right justified instead of left justified.

5) Have the ignore list also apply to the GTN.

Did I miss any?

Easiest would likely be to correct the formatting to right justified, next would be removing the fractional currency, followed by flags that can be applied to the character name.

I think simply changing the left justification to right justification is likely the easiest fix.

My preferred one would be the flag system though.

Why waste the devs time on something that isn't actually a problem to people who actually pay attention to what they are doing ? When they could be working on something that is more important .

There is no issue anywhere in this entire thread that can't be solved with slowing down and paying more attention to what you're doing.

Edited by _NovaBlast_

Why waste the devs time on something that isn't actually a problem to people who actually pay attention to what they are doing ? When they could be working on something that is more important .

There is no issue anywhere in this entire thread that can't be solved with slowing down and paying more attention to what you're doing.

Why waste time on any QoL feature.

Naturally some folks do not care about QoL improvements. I do.

So the why is that it would be good for the game, the economy and the playerbase, and bad for sellers that like to engage in dishonorable sale tactics.

By the way...my issue is that I want to flag certain sellers so I can demote their sale displays on the GTN. Currently I keep a "bad seller" list and avoid making purchases manually, but naturally that can be tedious when the list gets rather large...its at 24 names right now.

A flag feature would remove my need to use a list.

Always remember the rule...there is nothing more important than what is important to you.

Edited by LordArtemis

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.