The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Lesson Learned

pattongb

Personally I think the launch of EA today is a complete success, and judging by how full the servers are there would be no queue's to speak of, a perfect controlled launch if you ask me.

The only thing I wish they would do is email everyone their early access time so that we know when we get to start and we don't have to sit here wondering if we will get in early.

Other then that I think it is all a complete success! :D

Edit: And no I am not in yet, I dont even have my email to tell me when I am in yet....:wea_03:

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or not to even bother.

After I wasn't accepted in Beta, I decided to stop checking the website 24/7 as I have since the day it went up. On August 22nd bioware sends me an email about pre orders. That same day I pre ordered and redeemed my code. You tell me, how is that my fault and not pre ordering early? I always pre order on announcement. If I know I can't visit the website or keep track, I have news letter to notify me. They failed a month ahead of schedule.

So if you werent invited today why are you upset about the fact that you almost surely will be tomorrow (if you pre-ordered in july)??

I dont get it. Neither do most the logical people here.

You were told you might get up to 5 days, you are likely going to get at least that and maybe even 6 days. So wheres the issue????????????

Again as I said: Give an inch, they will expect a mile.

BW has learned a valuable lesson today, one that as a General Manager of a multi-million dollar business I learned a long time ago:

Give people an inch these days and they want a mile.

You were gracious enough to allow EA. Then you were even kinder and gave an extra 2 days on top of that.

Most pre-orders are going to get AT LEAST 5 days early access, which is exactly what you were gracious enough to offer.

Yet you are still being attacked by the self entitled. Thats how it is these days.

Sorry about all the bozos. Dont worry, after all the babies get their invites in the next 2 days you wont here another peep out of them.

Well at least until they think they have something coming to them again...

This has got to be the most incompetent and asanine post I've seen in a long time. Nothing in the buisness world is done graciously.

1. 1) They are charging $5 for the EA, not being gracious
  2. 2) EveryMMO to launch in the past 5 years I think has had an EA program. It is now standard, and it is an excellent marketing strategy to get pre-order numbers up, which drives hype, etc.
  3. 3) People are probably not upset because they didn't understand they may not get the full amount of time. Though some do display a lack of reading comprehension... most seem to be upset with the way the EA was implemented. There are a number of logistical issues with doing it this way that are annoying at best for the customer.
  4. 4) I remember very well the Warhammer Online launch fiasco. I also remember AoC, and Rift launches. Those being the most recent... none were all together smooth, but all were at least better organized, in terms of player expectations, ability to know how to plan for the early access, etc. Not to mention the very real issues with PvP servers, people who got in early being able to level fast and gank the newbies. this is going to be the problem with any EA though. Same thing with full servers, same thing with "my guild can't all play togehter because we are not able to get on the same server now" etc. Not splitting up access based on date of pre-order would certainly help some, if not all, of these issues.

I thought this was one of the more odd ways to implement an EA. But I knew what I was getting into.

For once in a very long while, I didn't pre-order early. I just was not convinced this game wouldn't flame oout the same way too many others did. however, after playing in beta I decided to give it a go. Pre-ordered in late November, and now I am waiting for EA. Fine, I understood it would be this way. I don't think it particularly smart to do this way, but not going to rage out over it.

The only valid complaint I can find is a lack of scheduling. Not letting people know even a rough idea of when they might gain access does really screw with some. While it is a hobby people do still schedule time off and plans around it. Kind of like going to disneyland and sitting outside with a million other people who didnt know the park was closed hehe. Ah well now to continue with my life and wait for an email that may or may not come tomorrow :p

Had they just opened the servers to everyone, this forum would be full of QQ over the queues. People would be proclaiming their outrage over waiting an hour to log on, just as they are proclaiming their outrage at the way BW is doing it now.

I was at the Rift launch, and that is exactly what happened. Ironically, during the Rift launch, all the little MMO crybabies berated Trion for NOT doing exactly what BW is doing right now.

MMO players are the biggest group of whiny little brats on the planet. You cannot appease them no matter what you do.

Would I rather be in a queue rather than having no chance to play? Yes .... but I can understand why BW chose to do it this way. They don't want empty servers in a month or two, and want more control over the population.

BW has learned a valuable lesson today, one that as a General Manager of a multi-million dollar business I learned a long time ago:

You were gracious enough to allow EA. Then you were even kinder and gave an extra 2 days on top of that.

Most pre-orders are going to get AT LEAST 5 days early access, which is exactly what you were gracious enough to offer.

Yet you are still being attacked by the self entitled. Thats how it is these days.

Sorry about all the bozos. Dont worry, after all the babies get their invites in the next 2 days you wont here another peep out of them.

A rare voice of reason on the boards today. I support this thread.

The only valid complaint I can find is a lack of scheduling. Not letting people know even a rough idea of when they might gain access does really screw with some. While it is a hobby people do still schedule time off and plans around it. Kind of like going to disneyland and sitting outside with a million other people who didnt know the park was closed hehe. Ah well now to continue with my life and wait for an email that may or may not come tomorrow :p

yes that is all I think most of us would like is our email telling us when, why is that part such a secret? That I don't get... If it was me I would rather everyone who preordered got their start date the day they preordered or within one week. But if they feel they must keep that secret up to the last moment I guess I have no choice but to complain a bit about that and go check my email...again...

Iv'e preorded many games from gamestops e-b games and best buy and ive always had to pay 5_10$ for the preorder. Your not paying to get EA you paying 5_10$ to ensure that you will have the game on release day witch isn't until Dec 20 2011. Today is only Dec 13 2011

So if you werent invited today why are you upset about the fact that you almost surely will be tomorrow (if you pre-ordered in july)??

I dont get it. Neither do most the logical people here.

You were told you might get up to 5 days, you are likely going to get at least that and maybe even 6 days. So wheres the issue????????????

Again as I said: Give an inch, they will expect a mile.

Someone at EA's marketing failed. Then again, EA uses game testers and promotes them to marketing. Now we know how they failed. Bottom line, they said the 15th and they should have stuck with it. I don't care for queues, it's part of controlling the servers. Don't come at me last minute and say we're extending it to 7 day's with priority first. WHO THE "F" is getting priority first? When will I get my time? Should I sit on my computer and wait or go live life? That's the problem most of us are pissed about. It's the fact they can "EASILY" give us a time frame when July, August, September, October, November, December redeemers will be in but THEY WONT DO IT. This is how you make hype come alive. Bad business and I'm sure the INTERNET is hearing all about it. This is the king of crap that makes Blizzard win yet again.

Sigh. Another troll. Manager of multimillion company lol... 2/10 for hilarity.

Hey little boy, while your stocking TV's at best buy I was working at EA and know everything that goes inside that company. MARKETING is the key to success for EA. Apparently, they felt that this extended Early Access would go their way. In fact, it went against them and made a good company like Bioware look bad in the eyes of the customer.

No doubt it was a marketing ploy.

However they didnt have to offer it. 98% of the CE's sold would have sold without early access. Do you doubt that?

So yeah, id say it was awfully "nice" of them if not gracious to even offer the SW community a chance to play early.

OP,

I think what you really mean is there are people that you just can't make happy. Your baby analogy is very accurate IMO. How do you silence a crying baby whose hungry? You put a bottle in their mouth. People say they want to know when they'll get in. But I assure you if BW sent them an email and said "You get in Thursday at 8am" then they'd be here complaining that they didn't get in sooner. They'd be be saying "Ok, I'm not upset that I have to wait till Thursday. I'm upset that BW isn't telling me WHY I have to wait till Thursday."

Most of the people here saying they want BW to communicate more really just mean "I want BW to say I've got access." That's the only thing that's going to shut them up. That's the only bottle they want.

Edited by BrimstoneAshe

I've learned something also. Never give bioware money.

I was playing project 99 to kill time while I waited, but I plan to say here.

Someone at EA's marketing failed. Then again, EA uses game testers and promotes them to marketing. Now we know how they failed. Bottom line, they said the 15th and they should have stuck with it. I don't care for queues, it's part of controlling the servers. Don't come at me last minute and say we're extending it to 7 day's with priority first. WHO THE "F" is getting priority first? When will I get my time? Should I sit on my computer and wait or go live life? That's the problem most of us are pissed about. It's the fact they can "EASILY" give us a time frame when July, August, September, October, November, December redeemers will be in but THEY WONT DO IT. This is how you make hype come alive. Bad business and I'm sure the INTERNET is hearing all about it. This is the king of crap that makes Blizzard win yet again.

Wrong. Fail.

Look, 90% of the cry babies crying today because they were somehow 'expecting' to get in on the first day will get in tomorrow; AND YOU WONT HERE FROM THEM AGAIN.

Contrary to what all you doom and gloomers are claiming BW is not losing face and the internet is NOT blowing up about it.

By Thursday this will be over and forgotten and you complainers will look like really stupid.

I think the lesson that should have been learned is preorder early...

Umm, pretty much this. The extra couple of days is just a nice bonus. I almost did not get in today even thou I ordered on 7/27. If I had not made it, it would not have been a big deal.

You obviously haven't spent much time at the TOR general forum, where if you ain't cryin' about something, you are an oddity.