The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Buy faster speeder speed?

Terimac

Yo,

110% wont cut it imo, i would like to have the choice to buy 1% increased speed for 1 million credits or 500-1k cartel coins. The total cap increased speed would be up to bioware, but i would like to hit 200-250%.

What to you guys think about this?

Agree, We can use force speed and run like hell for a short distance. Why not make our speeders do something

like that. And i would love to something like going to a planet speeder guy...but using a speeder in your inventory

to fly on...mounts would fly like speeders too. Why NOT?

I think it's plenty fast enough as it is, honestly, but I'm probably in the minority. If they do increase it, hopefully not a million credits - make it something like a few hundred-thousand. As it is, speeder rank 3 costs..... what, 140k or so? Make rank 4 cost 330k or something, and if there's a rank 5, have that cost go up to 600k or so. End result would still be around a million credits, but split up into two smaller payments.

Yo,

110% wont cut it imo, i would like to have the choice to buy 1% increased speed for 1 million credits or 500-1k cartel coins. The total cap increased speed would be up to bioware, but i would like to hit 200-250%.

What to you guys think about this?

Not sure if serious.

Are you an evil Riccitiello clone in disguise?

Bioware has said before that there are technical issues with going beyond 110%. They would like to, and it probably would work in some areas, but the loading of assets off the server is a load that they aren't ready for.

Perhaps they will revisit this in the future as hardware improves and hopefully their software does as well.

And again, there are reasons why speeders can't go 300%.

• Server resource loading. The faster you go, the more your client asks for server updates and generates server events.
  • Quest triggers. Quests don't trigger the instant you pass some threshold. They fire periodically within an area. The speed of a speeder cannot exceed the speed necessary to pass through the smallest quest area between quest polling events.
  • Balance issues. Base guardians are set up with the assumption of a player traveling no faster than +110%. If the speed were increased to +300% (4 times current speed) you would be able to pass through many guardian's ranges faster than they could respond. You would essentially have a free pass into most (virtually all) enemy bases.

And again, there are reasons why speeders can't go 300%.

• Server resource loading. The faster you go, the more your client asks for server updates and generates server events.
  • Quest triggers. Quests don't trigger the instant you pass some threshold. They fire periodically within an area. The speed of a speeder cannot exceed the speed necessary to pass through the smallest quest area between quest polling events.
  • Balance issues. Base guardians are set up with the assumption of a player traveling no faster than +110%. If the speed were increased to +300% (4 times current speed) you would be able to pass through many guardian's ranges faster than they could respond. You would essentially have a free pass into most (virtually all) enemy bases.

Beat me to it.

It's not that they don't necessarily want to give us the ability to go faster, it's that exceeding a certain threshold causes certain technical and gameplay problems.

Bioware has said before that there are technical issues with going beyond 110%. They would like to, and it probably would work in some areas, but the loading of assets off the server is a load that they aren't ready for.

Perhaps they will revisit this in the future as hardware improves and hopefully their software does as well.

Not sure the excuse you make for them is valid, if you go to a travel speeder npc, you go much faster than a normal speeder and there are no rendering or what not issues.

I believe its more of a matter of Bioware software coders wanting to do it, more than anything else, but we could make another excuse for them: They are too busy fixing the numerous bugs in the game...

Sue

Not sure the excuse you make for them is valid, if you go to a travel speeder npc, you go much faster than a normal speeder and there are no rendering or what not issues.
Taxi vehicles travel a pre-determined route with no ability to interact with the game world while you're on it.

We've seen how slow the game engine can be rendering grass at normal walking speed. If speeders went faster than 110% I think movement speed would end up out-striping the game engine's ability to render the game world.

And given how effective BioWare has been at improving the engine's rendering speeds since launch, I think someone will figure out how to divide by zero before they figure out how to render grass more more than 20 meters from an player's avatar.

That may be true on your computer, but it is not true in general. Also, while *you* may not notice the speeder while riding in it, it affects people on the ground as well -- on Belsalvis, for example, I can often tell when a taxi is about to pass overhead because the game pauses (similar to when other players approach).

Lol, just call it "The Fleet Effect".

And given how effective BioWare has been at improving the engine's rendering speeds since launch, I think someone will figure out how to divide by zero before they figure out how to render grass more more than 20 meters from an player's avatar.

Wecan already do some division by 0 ;) It's called calculus and limits. :p It's been invented by Newton.. :p

I think the game can handle up to speed 120 to 130 before it would impact the servers, but I think even 115 impacts quite a few players when traveling. I believe a few devs commented they got the speed up to 130 but found clients were having quite a bit of trouble with shuddering, even on high end systems.

I used to have the links, but they essentially said 115 is the highest stable personal speed.

Now, I WOULD SUGGEST that they consider giving us a "fade to black" travel option when using speeders, like on Makeb. Not only would this help ease some of the talkback on servers, it would make traveling by speeders much more enjoyable for most folks IMO.

Taxi vehicles travel a pre-determined route with no ability to interact with the game world while you're on it.

This... The servers have precomputed paths for each taxi, they aren't the same server draw as speeders are... and you can't do anything to do the world, another key point.

That may be true on your computer, but it is not true in general. Also, while *you* may not notice the speeder while riding in it, it affects people on the ground as well -- on Belsalvis, for example, I can often tell when a taxi is about to pass overhead because the game pauses (similar to when other players approach).

Same goes for me - I can sometimes also tell that a taxi passes (or will pass) by because performance starts to slow down. In addition, when travelling by taxi I get clipping errors regularily, the taxi dissapeares etc.

The problem is BW has to take into account a) their own servers and b) the computers their users have. So, with all performance improvements, they have to make sure that they remain inside the boundaries they set with their "minimum system requirements" - in other words, they have to make sure that someone using a slower computer, that just fulfilles the minimum requirements, will still be able to play the game. Not everyone has a high end performance state-of-the-art pc on his end of the internet.