Darkness Tanking Compendium

theonepanda

Chain shock does not apply another stack of harnessed darkness.

It also is not affected by Energize. However, it CAN crit by itself. It is a separate roll.

I believe it is affected by electrify, but haven't really tested.

The note about orange gear - "sets" don't matter. Pick whatever you get from drops or whatever you think looks good.

I mentioned the formal/slave sets because most people, by the time they start seriously modding gear (20ish+) do not have all orange pieces, and those are the easiest to get.

Obviously don't replace real gear with them, unless you really want a certain look.

Also yes, I also noticed juggernauts having terrible aggro (at least terrible initial aggro, which is to be expected given their resource system). If I happened to get a triple crit or whatever (maul discharge maul) there was no way for him to hold aggro.

Edited by theonepanda

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i thought the percentage was kind of low or insignficant but i havent played a assassin yet so wasnt for certain how much endurance they did get.

im gonna play one though, not for certain if i want to tank with him or dps since im also gonna have a bh tank but thanks for the reply.

how viable is assassin tanking on hardmodes threat wise? IE how doable is it to grab aggro of 5 mobs?

Pretty impossible.

You discharge then wither and then you're boned.

Typically ranged mobs in hardmodes are either cc'd or killed. Remember nonbosses can still be cc'd and stunned in hardmodes, your dps should just cc and chain stun kill them while you focus on tanking the golds/silvers.

Just an aside note about gear, it seems that for initial 50's the quickest way to get gear is through pvp, even if pvp isn't your thing give it a few whirls and you'll be able to get some nice tank pieces that will help in the early end game pve FP's.

Is Premonition useful for PvE? I haven't seen a lot of stealth enemies so far. I can see it has some merit for PvP but i'm thinking Dark Embrace might be a better use of those 2 points.

Edit: Um, yeah, I just said I haven't seen a lot of stealth enemies. Duh, that's cus they're invisible.

Edited by Omite

I'm sorry for being lazy (incase this was already q/a) I can't be bothered reading trough 11 pages of replies. But when you say the cap for shield rating is 50%, is that cap counting with dark ward activated, or without dark ward activated?

Thanks for awesome thread btw OP ;>

The cap is just the rating you can get from shield rating.

It does not include passives or self buffs.

For example, if I had 1 billion shield rating, I would be capped at 50%

So I would have

50% Shield Rating + 15% dark ward + 20% base shield = 85% total shield rating.

Ok after reading all this stuff i feel like my Head gonna explode.

There are some things i dont get...my english isnt that good btw^^

Here is my problem...while tanking in some HM Flashpoint i feel like i am Butter.

I am going down so friggin fast, i´ve reequiped myself so often in the last week dont know what to do to get more tanky.Would be happy about some advice about my gearing.

Here are my stats, perhaps someone can give me a tipp what i should change.

Endurance:17340

Armor:6393 (ca.39%)

Defense Rating:288(24,97)

Shield Rating: 188(30,5)

Absorb: 243(45%)

THX alot

Just a note on the single target rotation wouldn't it make more since to just always shock whenever you have the chance to cast shock. it Does more damage and threat than any other ability outside of wither and it stacks darkness. With the -force cost talent This is easily sustainable.

Priority:

-Dark ward always

-Discharge+wither (if you cast these two back to back you will have 100% up time with out casting wither too soon, because the cooldown on discharge is the same as the duration of wither and discharge. Though initaly use wither first to get that early threat)

-Force Lightning (3 harness darkness stacks)

-Shock (on cooldown) Shock does more damage than thrash under any condition

-thrash (~50 force)

-Saber strikes (<40 force)

With this you general get to pop force lightning before having to reapply discharge and wither. Really the difference isn't large but shock is just the strongest consistent ability we have. I'd only every search for energized shock if i had recklessness active because then that makes up for the loss in damage.

So you should read the posts I made in the "how to 3-button tank" thread.

Long story short, I am not convinced that that is viable, or ideal.

Even in a best case scenario it does less damage/force than thrash, all for maybe 3 seconds faster getting to 3 stacks.

It also does nothing to help keep up Exploitive Strikes.

Not worth it at all.

It is NOT our best damage ability over time.

Edited by theonepanda

More health is good, yes, if its significant.

1% per point is...insignificant.

Yes, take it if there is nothing else to take...however, there are much better talents to take.

I found that for going for the 31 darkness, i need to at least take a point of + endurance. Its either that or 3% bonus dark charge damage which seems less significant.

Edit: never mind i suppose i could talent the cd on force shroud.

Edited by Faytte

Sure it does, and it helps our dps sins to stay alive when pulling to much aggro on bosses, if your tank is not fast enough :rolleyes:

I'm actually running the hybrid spec, and i didn't have major problems holding aggro on Hard mode for moment.

My dps mates don't try to aoe every now and then, they just focusing priority targets (normal mobs/healers) as they should and i have all the time needed for generating aggro on silver/gold.

For pack mob that we are supposed to hard aoe, just initiate with Discharge+Death Field, tab throught the whole group dispensing shock/trash and i time the mass taunt when needed.

Sure i have to taunt sometimes for a running mob, but having played tank before and don't see what is annoying with that (with the range of our taunts ...)

But i must admit i really love Death Field for initial aggro on splitted pack.

I'll try to continue running HM like that to see if i miss deep-darkness-aoe-threat-magic-button, but for moment i feel like i'll lose too much dps/single target threat for bosses/daylies/pvp.

(Excuse my english, not my native language! :D)

Edited by DolanAkaCoin

This looks like a really nice guide, and I bet that it will help me a lot once I pick up Darkness spec at level 50... But one thing I've noticed is that in both of the given max-level builds, neither of the two place any points in Shroud of Darkness, even though it gives a 1% bonus to Endurance per rank.

The builds look good otherwise, but I was just wondering why Shroud of Darkness is skipped.